Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I mean, I didn't see it until a bunch of years after it came out and I still think it's really good. You just have to be willing to roll with the punches WRT that huge tone/genre change.

It's also not something I want to watch more than once every couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think any sequel will ever be as "Don't bother with the first one before watching this" as Maniac Cop 2, which opens with the finale of Maniac Cop, free of any editing or recap narration.

Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2 (of "garbage day" fame) literally splices in about half the first movie via flashbacks. The first one is actually pretty decent, while the second is wall to wall poo poo, albeit a fun movie to mock with friends and alcohol.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I still need to watch the 3rd film but I've heard it's completely bonkers and then spends tons of time recycling footage from both of the previous films, despite replacing the main actor from part 2.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Choco1980 posted:

The Descent didn't really live up to its hype that people give it, it's just so so, but conversation was at least good for it.

I think what makes The Descent so fun to talk about is that it's chock full of interesting narrative or tonal ideas that it stubbornly refuses to commit to, so there's a lot of space to imagine slightly different branching versions of the movie that get a lot better.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

mikeycp posted:

I mean, I didn't see it until a bunch of years after it came out and I still think it's really good. You just have to be willing to roll with the punches WRT that huge tone/genre change.

It's also not something I want to watch more than once every couple years.

I'd be cool with the tone shift if I thought the second half was done well. I didn't find it scary, or thrilling, or even schlocky enough. So instead of the movie keeping me on my toes with a rapid change in focus and threat it mostly comes off as a film that traded in an interesting idea for a poorly executed one.

Coraline was cool though. And both Outer Limits episodes were surprisingly decent to good.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Actually, all three Outer Limits episodes were fun. The last one that not many watched was a weird one, where post WW3 or whatever, a dude lives in his private bunker full of holographic sophisticated computers so he has family and friends to keep him company, but they are artificial and intangible (unless he takes one to his haptic boning pod) Natasha Henstridge is used as the physical form for the main computer program in charge of everything and acting as his personal assistant. Then he starts dating her, and she goes all Fatal Attraction on him. It was a really unusual concept just because each person he'd have the computer be would have their own personalities and opinions, yet technically they were all the same CPU.

But yeah, that second episode with WIlliam Hickey was my favorite OL we've seen all stream. It was so complicated morally while trying to play up an obvious black and white simplicity (and getting every single choice it made dead wrong in that case). Like the people we're supposed to root against are the most sympathetic and/or logically understandable. Maybe cause I'm on the inside of medical drama and organ transplants it's easier for me, but still, the protagonist made all the wrong choices there.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

I saw all three but I forgot about the William Hickey one. I guess because as cool as he was in it the story overall was super blah. I liked both Hot Robot 2.0 and Natasha Henstridge Is Basically God a lot more.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Although I wouldn't call it the objective best film of the stream, Coraline just might be my favorite new film this year. I want to rewatch it more than anything else I've shown. Just a lovely, charming, creepy film in every way.

The Descent was just your typical middle of the road kinda bad horror movie. I wish it hadn't been built up so much, because if I'd known it was going to be Final Destination level, I would've been less disappointed by it.

Fun fact for anyone who missed the stream: there was so much mumbling and British accents coupled with not-great lighting and frantic editing in the opening scenes where you're meant to get to know the characters that I felt the need to turn subtitles on to have a hope of understanding who they were and what they were doing/saying.

The nicest thing I'll say about the movie is that they managed to heavily imply that the Woman You Are Meant To Dislike was having an affair with The Protagonist's husband without feeling the need to just state it.

The Outer Limits continue to rule.

Sarchasm posted:

Y'know, I'm not a big participant in this thread or the stream chat, but I just wanted to say:

Hey Lurdiak. You're a fuckin champ.

Oh yeah? Well I hosed your- Oh, champ!

:blush: Aw shucks, thank you. I really enjoy doing this and entertaining people.

MisterBibs posted:

I just want to say that the stream is awesome (why isn't Outer Limits on Netflix, dammit) and I'm mad that I didn't notice this earlier in the month and previous years.

Don't worry, I'll be doing this for a long time.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 19, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

Natasha Henstridge is used as the physical form for the main computer program in charge of everything and acting as his personal assistant. Then he starts dating her, and she goes all Fatal Attraction on him.

I'm not entirely convinced that that's the appropriate logline. She doesn't go Fatal Attraction on him as much as he treats her like a fling after getting his rocks off.

That episode will always be memorable for me because my first experience with OL was watching the finale to this episode. I vividly recall the confusion I had. "So this guy is crying, then there's a special effect and happy version of the same guy comes out of him? And then we pan out and it's been a wasteland? :wtc:"

As for The Descent, I liked it more than most people in the chat. I guess I understood and integrated what they were trying to do into my opinion more.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The opening probably would have gone over better in the stream if this wasn't Lurdiak's reaction style:

opens with washed out exteriors and fast paced over used MTV editing like EVERY other goddamn movie from 2000-2005 before any dialogue or actual character building is in place.

LURD: Welp, clearly this is going to be terrible. Worst movie I've seen on stream.

Lurdiak proceeds to play with color levels on video player instead of paying attention to introductory scene, making it so noone else gets a chance to attach faces to names/characters. This leads directly into a deliberately chaotic hen party where all the British actress shriek amongst themselves and even the camera work is disorienting.

LURD: Well I'm going to turn on subtitles for this movie where they clearly didn't care about us understanding them and just will spend the movie mumbling.

Lurdiak puts on subtitles and doesn't mess with the film any further, but becomes convinced that the actresses can't enunciate despite 90%+ of the dialogue being quite audible.

No offense Lurd, you're cool, and the movie is deeply flawed, but it was pretty obvious you walked in not wanting to like the film and let it paint a few of your opinions. As funny as it was last year when Xtro2 got so bad that you actively protested on the video feed, it's not behavior I think should be repeated.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Halfway through the film I figured out the character I had dubbed "Mumbles" was actually two separate characters I had somehow conflated in my mind and there were actually 6 people in the film not 5.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Saint Freak posted:

Halfway through the film I figured out the character I had dubbed "Mumbles" was actually two separate characters I had somehow conflated in my mind and there were actually 6 people in the film not 5.

Mumbles does exist. They're in all of our hearts.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Watrick posted:

Actually I think thats Murmurs.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Yeah I think the goon's on criticker that rated The Descent in the high nineties or even one hundred need to revisit it. I have been disillusioned by this movie and Final Destination so far this year. I swore they were better when they came out :eng99:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Choco1980 posted:

I still need to watch the 3rd film but I've heard it's completely bonkers and then spends tons of time recycling footage from both of the previous films, despite replacing the main actor from part 2.

And then replaces him with Clint Howard in parts 4 and 5. :psyduck:

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

This is one of the reasons I don't feel bad for how hard a time we gave this movie. Though parts of the first half were really good it was almost from the beginning that the movie was tripping over itself to slap together just enough of a plot and characters to get by. It was offputting in the moment and then when I realized it was for the sake of the sad monsters I fully checked out.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
The Descent is a perfectly average film which is sunk by the fact that it has a much bigger reputation than that perfectly averageness can support.

However, it will always have a special place in my heart for the fact that, the day after a group of friends and I watched it for the first time, one of them went to their first day at a new job and was greeted by a massive pile of copper pipes. They're everywhere!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Watrick posted:

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
The decent felt like some kind of betrayal, I remember it being better when i first saw it. Then again it was directed by the guy who directed Doomsday, so i guess i shouldn't have expected that much from it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Starting at 8:30 EST, tonight's features are...

Bug

and...

The Conjuring

Tonight's also your chance to enter the raffle and win...

But wait, there's more! As always, we'll be watching....

Eerie Indiana

and...

The Outer Limits

Be there!

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
Sweet.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Nice. Two more I haven't seen. Not going to be able to watch the rest of the weekend, I have plans. Hopefully I'll have next weekend free for the big end of the season weekend. If I don't, then some serious personal stuff came up...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Bug is really good.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm super excited about both

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Bug is really good.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Bug is really good.

Sadness, that's the one I'm certain to miss. Hopefully I'll at least catch most of Thr Conjuring.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Lurdiak posted:

Eerie Indiana
Be there!

Wasn't this an ad that was found in comic books/ MAD magazine? I seem to recall studying the map when I was younger

Good line up tonight. Neither of us have seen Bug and I liked The Conjuring was enjoyable and I would like to watch it again. Chances of being awake that late ain't looking good though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dr.Caligari posted:

Wasn't this an ad that was found in comic books/ MAD magazine? I seem to recall studying the map when I was younger

Yup.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Live in 10!

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

mods namechange to SUPER MOTHER BUG please

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

But serious talk, Bug is pretty incredible but the crazy conspiracy ranting is sort of a mix of funny and terrifying (which I mean, both reactions we had in chat). The thing is, it's fun to laugh at people who make huge videos about the illuminati and 9/11 but there's some point where it crosses into being just awful. And the movie passes that pretty easily by the time they've got bleeding sores all over and he pulls out a tooth and ugh. I can't laugh at morgellons because it's well into the realm of self-harm. I can understand seeing the ending as a bit of a black comedy but it's just too much for me to really find it funny, outside of that one line in particular which is all kinds of great.

Etuni
Jun 28, 2006

What it lacks in substance, it makes up for in pretty colors

Bug is so awesome, even better than I remember from watching it a few years ago. If you want to watch another film featuring Michael Shannon slowly slipping into madness-but, spoiler alert, not pull your own teeth out madness-check out Take Shelter.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

goddammit, all of a sudden halfway through the second movie, connectcast crashed on me and won't right itself. :argh:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It did it to me, too. This is not my night. Apparently it's fine for other people?

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
Noooooooooooo! It's been a sad night for horror.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ok I'm back in, but god drat is this an annoying night.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not in at all :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gasket blowing is commencing.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Was going fine until the chat lagged out on me, tried reloading, now getting a ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED spitback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I have video but no chat? If I try to open it in another browser it can't find the site.

• Locked thread