Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Despite playing this game a hundred times I never really got the hang of the Smelter Demon (he's That One Boss to a lot of people) so seeing Geop chump him first time out while barely even noticing he was in a boss battle was deeply annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Anime Reference posted:

Despite playing this game a hundred times I never really got the hang of the Smelter Demon (he's That One Boss to a lot of people) so seeing Geop chump him first time out while barely even noticing he was in a boss battle was deeply annoying.
Same, I can clown (DLC spoiler here)Fume knight anyday, but I have never beaten Smelter 1 vs 1.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Smelter's swipe attack has a notoriously awful hitbox (and he often does it twice in a row), such that you can be 90 degrees from his front right up against his model and the pommel of his sword which never gets any closer than 6 feet from you will still knock you on your rear end.

The 10-15 alonne knights you need to hack through on your way to the fog door really wear you down at lower levels (especially without a +10 weapon that deals strike damage to 2 shot them). The chip damage Smelter does for being close to him isn't too much of a hassle with a big health pool and lifegems, but with anyone without a lot of health or with moderate hollowing is going to feel a lot more pressure from it.

Basically, the unavoidable aura damage isn't a bad mechanic, but when combined with "should be avoidable" damage, you're left with garbage like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVTXeuHrjvE

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I got a better sense for Smelter when it was pointed out to me that his sword is on fire for a lot of the fight. In this one circumstance, convection works, and being too near where the sword hits deals damage to you. It's just piled on top of normal "DS2 hitboxes :argh:".

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Zedd posted:

Same, I can clown (DLC spoiler here)Fume knight anyday, but I have never beaten Smelter 1 vs 1.

It's nice how different strategies for the game seem to have problems with different things. I have literally never died to Smelter Demon or his non-union equivalent. He's slow, most of his attacks can be blocked and I've always been able to out-estus/lifegem him and wear him down. Spoiler boss wrecked me maybe a dozen times before I finally got a kill both times I did the DLC.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Also he did have Lucatiel, and Smelter is definitely one of the bosses that is a hundred times easier when someone else is tanking all the hits for you.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Anime Reference posted:

the heavily upgraded armor plus upgraded mace plus lucatiel distracting the boss probably helped a bit with geop's survival.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cory in the Blouse posted:

Smelter's swipe attack has a notoriously awful hitbox (and he often does it twice in a row), such that you can be 90 degrees from his front right up against his model and the pommel of his sword which never gets any closer than 6 feet from you will still knock you on your rear end.

The 10-15 alonne knights you need to hack through on your way to the fog door really wear you down at lower levels (especially without a +10 weapon that deals strike damage to 2 shot them). The chip damage Smelter does for being close to him isn't too much of a hassle with a big health pool and lifegems, but with anyone without a lot of health or with moderate hollowing is going to feel a lot more pressure from it.

Basically, the unavoidable aura damage isn't a bad mechanic, but when combined with "should be avoidable" damage, you're left with garbage like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVTXeuHrjvE

I think stuff like this is why From made DS3 (boss) hitboxes super sharp.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
While it's topikcal - Smelter's jump is pretty much everything (barring obvious bad technical stuff like camera spazzing or bullshit hitboxes) I hate about enemy design in Souls. You see him jump and you roll out of the way and counter when he misses. Then he does the same thing again and you get smashed by the explosion. You learned and reacted but gently caress you anyway. That design is what makes everything past Dark1, barring Bloodborne, feel kind of bad to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Mailer posted:

While it's topikcal - Smelter's jump is pretty much everything (barring obvious bad technical stuff like camera spazzing or bullshit hitboxes) I hate about enemy design in Souls. You see him jump and you roll out of the way and counter when he misses. Then he does the same thing again and you get smashed by the explosion. You learned and reacted but gently caress you anyway. That design is what makes everything past Dark1, barring Bloodborne, feel kind of bad to me.

Smelter has tells for when it's safe to counter the jump though. If he's not going to explode, he pulls the sword back up almost immediately, and that's still a long enough animation to get several hits in. DS2 has some bad design, but it's not wholly unpredictable or unreadable. Mostly. There's a few bosses way worse than Smelter.

• Locked thread