Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
It's funny that the guy stalking Nanami looks a lot like Sana's crazy fan, and if you take off his glasses, he looks a lot like the other stalker from that one case. Maybe they're connected somehow. Or maybe I'm reading too much into things.

Jobbo, if Yagami had the wrong car somehow and broke the window with a lead pipe, the owner might be very upset. At least with lockpicking, he doesn't damage the vehicle if Nanami isn't in there somehow. I think. Eh, maybe it's a good thing he doesn't have the wrong car either way. Maybe a lockpick was more readily available than a good club.

I liked the Black & White Calamity case for its humor concerning the many things the Calamity could be. Amane's powers are very open to interpretation. :)

Again, having played Dead Souls several times, I can confirm the glowing red heart of the bat monster is indeed its weak spot. At least you don't need a sniper rifle to hit it easily in Kamuro of the Dead. Though you're probably better off hitting the circle spots to avoid damage.

There is an Achievement for Kamuro of the Dead, I think. [checks GameFAQs] For getting 50 Pickups in there, actually. You need to shoot crates that give you extra health, extra grenades, and teddy bears (bonus points) for that. There are also several in-game Skill Point challenges, check KamuroGo. Completing each level and shooting a lot of zombies are what's involved.

It's a pity my two favorite bosses from Dead Souls were the ones who did not return for Kamuro of the Dead. Which means you'll have to actually play Dead Souls to fight them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

achtungnight posted:

It's funny that the guy stalking Nanami looks a lot like Sana's crazy fan, and if you take off his glasses, he looks a lot like the other stalker from that one case. Maybe they're connected somehow. Or maybe I'm reading too much into things.

Jobbo, if Yagami had the wrong car somehow and broke the window with a lead pipe, the owner might be very upset. At least with lockpicking, he doesn't damage the vehicle if Nanami isn't in there somehow. I think. Eh, maybe it's a good thing he doesn't have the wrong car either way. Maybe a lockpick was more readily available than a good club.

I liked the Black & White Calamity case for its humor concerning the many things the Calamity could be. Amane's powers are very open to interpretation. :)

Again, having played Dead Souls several times, I can confirm the glowing red heart of the bat monster is indeed its weak spot. At least you don't need a sniper rifle to hit it easily in Kamuro of the Dead. Though you're probably better off hitting the circle spots to avoid damage.

There is an Achievement for Kamuro of the Dead, I think. [checks GameFAQs] For getting 50 Pickups in there, actually. You need to shoot crates that give you extra health, extra grenades, and teddy bears (bonus points) for that. There are also several in-game Skill Point challenges, check KamuroGo. Completing each level and shooting a lot of zombies are what's involved.

It's a pity my two favorite bosses from Dead Souls were the ones who did not return for Kamuro of the Dead. Which means you'll have to actually play Dead Souls to fight them.

What if he picks a lock that destroys itself as an anti-lockpick safety mechanism?!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Jobbo, rouge is also make-up, the club could be named after that.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The scripted dialogue in this episode's scenes is quite hilarious if you have Saori made up to look as ridiculous as possible.

Here's an article about the catcalling scene's development that may interest some- https://www.polygon.com/2019/7/10/20689358/judgment-localization-catcalling-scene-translation

I had a creepy fanfic idea spring to mind while watching the video btw. The owner of the Queen Rouge is Hashiki's actual killer. He's not the Mole, but he is a psychopath who employs the girls he likes at the club no matter how they look or how bad at the job they are. If the customers don't like them, they end up dead. And it looks like just a drunken brawl gone wrong.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

achtungnight posted:

The scripted dialogue in this episode's scenes is quite hilarious if you have Saori made up to look as ridiculous as possible.

Here's an article about the catcalling scene's development that may interest some- https://www.polygon.com/2019/7/10/20689358/judgment-localization-catcalling-scene-translation

Reading the comments on that article was a mistake. Didn't need to feel disgusted tonight.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The Captain Cop health bar above Kaito is such a nice touch!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Captain Cop... part man... part captain... all cop!

This case is just too funny for words, and it has a sweet element too. Poor Kaito, and I shudder to think what kind of person that kid will grow up to be. Shudder with a smile, that is. He's already very resourceful, having gotten to Kamurocho on his own and all. I wonder about his mother. Kids with this kind of character... she's probably dead. :(

The one clue that helps you find the enemy loan office is probably the hardest hidden object in the game to find. It also pays off to have the Turtle Financing moneylender befriended by this time, I can confirm you will have to pay 50k yen otherwise to progress. Other than this and the usual complaints about a sudden mandatory side case involving a major main character, I have no issues with this case. It's great.

I don't understand the origins of the word kidnap either, Chaos. [shrug]

You missed a couple objects in the Suppon Street search, btw. Kaito's opponents also dropped a knife and a set of brass knuckles. They don't tell you anymore than the bat did, but they're there.

One other thing I wonder. Does Yagami have some sort of place in the Captain Cop story? Is he really the Captain's sidekick, Sergeant Badge? :D

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Geemer posted:

The Captain Cop health bar above Kaito is such a nice touch!

:eyepop:

I've never noticed that before!

achtungnight posted:

This case is just too funny for words, and it has a sweet element too. Poor Kaito, and I shudder to think what kind of person that kid will grow up to be. Shudder with a smile, that is. He's already very resourceful, having gotten to Kamurocho on his own and all. I wonder about his mother. Kids with this kind of character... she's probably dead. :(

I kinda worry about the kids who come to Kamurocho on their own to wait for a parent. There's more than a handful of them in this series.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Sakakiba- The fat bruiser enemy has been a staple of beat-em-up games for quite a while. Final Fight, Streets of Rage- many classic games in the genre have them. Still, I don't know if any have been so over-the-top on the "fat guy" persona as this clown. I found him not as hard to fight as Honda, attacks a bit easier to dodge and predict, just more damaging when they connect. Usually I go after him and/or Kasai when clearing a Keihin Gang Threat Level... when I care enough to do it. The mechanic wears on the player as it keeps happening. :(

More plot developments in this video. Some progress, still many answers to get.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Actually Jobbo, your guess about the etymology was spot on. Nap is an older slang word for nab, which has fallen out of use except in this specific instance.

Nap in this meaning and nab both comes from North Germanic, meaning to pinch, related to Swedish nappa, which in modern use is what a fish does when it grabs the bait when fishing. Nap as in sleeping is possibly partly derived from this but more from Middle English. I will stop nerding about this now though, if you are interested just go to https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nap#Etymology_4 and click around yourselves.

I like words.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Irritating plot holes I’ll point out in this update.

First, why is Yagami calling on Shioya as a character witness? A yakuza Captain is a trustworthy alibi? We visited Tender around then too. Lots more random trustworthy witnesses there. Maybe he wants the prosecutors to investigate the Kyorei Clan involvement in this case and the Mole. Which you have to think about to get, I guess.

More importantly- they need more evidence to get their suspect than what they present. Jobbo is right that matching bullet striations isn’t exact science. You can shoot a gun frequently and make it impossible to match striations. You can also swap the barrel out. I brought this up on another forum and was told these things. It’s very important that they present how they knew to test their suspect’s gun vs the bullets found in the victim. Was his DNA found at the scene? Did he have a motive to kill the victim? How can you prove the gun’s owner actually fired it at the victim? The crooked cop they suspect doesn’t strike me as the type to regularly visit the shooting range, though he’d have to for them to get bullets to test his gun against- even sneakily. And why wouldn’t he just use another unofficial gun? The suspect is definitely smart enough for that.

This is hardly the first detective story where the prosecution relies on inexact science to quickly close a case, but I don’t like how Yagami doesn’t even press for further details. Yes, we know the prosecution is wrong and Yagami is right, but it’s far easier to prove reasonable doubt on a single suspect than prove the truth of the giant conspiracy behind AD-9 at this point. But of course we must keep digging at that conspiracy.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Its Mar 10 today so I'm delaying today's episode to finish my Super Luugi 46 LP instead. Today's update will be out tomorrow.

achtungnight posted:

Irritating plot holes I’ll point out in this update.

First, why is Yagami calling on Shioya as a character witness? A yakuza Captain is a trustworthy alibi? We visited Tender around then too. Lots more random trustworthy witnesses there. Maybe he wants the prosecutors to investigate the Kyorei Clan involvement in this case and the Mole. Which you have to think about to get, I guess.

More importantly- they need more evidence to get their suspect than what they present. Jobbo is right that matching bullet striations isn’t exact science. You can shoot a gun frequently and make it impossible to match striations. You can also swap the barrel out. I brought this up on another forum and was told these things. It’s very important that they present how they knew to test their suspect’s gun vs the bullets found in the victim. Was his DNA found at the scene? Did he have a motive to kill the victim? How can you prove the gun’s owner actually fired it at the victim? The crooked cop they suspect doesn’t strike me as the type to regularly visit the shooting range, though he’d have to for them to get bullets to test his gun against- even sneakily. And why wouldn’t he just use another unofficial gun? The suspect is definitely smart enough for that.

This is hardly the first detective story where the prosecution relies on inexact science to quickly close a case, but I don’t like how Yagami doesn’t even press for further details. Yes, we know the prosecution is wrong and Yagami is right, but it’s far easier to prove reasonable doubt on a single suspect than prove the truth of the giant conspiracy behind AD-9 at this point. But of course we must keep digging at that conspiracy.

I do have to wonder how much of this is a symptom of what this game took influence from because a lot of what you've mentioned comes up very frequently in Ace Attorney, so I kind of glazed over stuff like the bullet markings because I'm so used to those being used as concrete evidence of a specific gun being fired.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
For the record I was too. But this game led me to think about it and discover yet another inexact but trusted science in the world of murder solving.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Some LPers speculate that GI is Mr Libido 30 years later. A very sad cautionary tale of a man who really should have visited a brothel at least once or twice.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Some LPers speculate that GI is Mr Libido 30 years later. A very sad cautionary tale of a man who really should have visited a brothel at least once or twice.

I honestly don't think GI is either of the Mr Libidos, the both of them seemed to... transcend GI's insecurities, for lack of a better term.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Someone found the twitch stream I mentioned in the video!

https://www.twitch.tv/sega/video/451949764?filter=clips&range=30d

Its an hour of Greg Chun (Yagami), Joe Zieja (Hoshino) and Scott Strichart (the localization producer) hanging out and voicing stuff, so its good fun!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Hope all are enjoying these comedy filler cases that speak for themselves as to their stories, writing quality, and so on. The Japanese sweets items are full heals on use.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
You can go by the Matsugane office looking for the boss before you see Higashi. The goons will tell you to get lost. Nothing actually points you directly at Higashi, you have to figure out yourself you need to go see him.

Also, you have Kaito with you while waiting for Higashi to call and that locks out many side cases. Thankfully Higashi calls after only 10 minutes or so, you don’t need to do much time wasting.

I really liked the scene with the younger Matsugane scolding Yagami. Shows just how long they’ve known one another.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

What a nice episode. :69snypa:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
The end that video looked like something out of a cartoon with Yagami and Kaito slowly rasing thier heads up from behind the counter like that.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The plot continues to develop, as we saw in the last few videos. Many memorable events that make this series fun.

Some things Chaos did not fully show off-

- you can 'loan' a gambler 100k for info, but he will lose it and you won't get back your money. Other conversations will get you a fight or otherwise waste your time as Chaos mentioned.

- as shown, you don't need to win against Voluptuous Woman to advance the plot. The dialogue is slightly different if you do, that's it.

- you may not have noticed, but all of the weapons Yagami can wield in this game are blunt. No knives, swords or guns. Just clubs of various kinds. The really fun weapons from other Yakuza games like the Mysterious Syringe are also not available. :(

A YouTube personality I've enjoyed now and again posted a video on Higashi recently. Fans may enjoy by clicking here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9tQsKPDM2M

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Well, that escalated quickly.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Sorry, Jobbo, but I don’t think the burning barrels have special Heat Actions in this game. :(

Mah jong- I just bought and used two of the cheat items from the SP shop in the sewer to get through that side mission. If you’re gonna show the full mini game off though, good luck.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't know how I want to present that yet. I have all the footage, just squared away in another sequence
rapid fire cuts to the tune of the can-can

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Mah jong- I just bought and used two of the cheat items from the SP shop in the sewer to get through that side mission. If you’re gonna show the full mini game off though, good luck.

You used what now????

gently caress that would have been nice to remember like a month ago! :negative:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, the Flawless Tile, use in mah jong to win instantly. Common cheat item in Yakuza games, available in Judgement for 10k SP. Sorry you didn’t know.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Yeah, the Flawless Tile, use in mah jong to win instantly. Common cheat item in Yakuza games, available in Judgement for 10k SP. Sorry you didn’t know.

Oh if its 10k SP then I feel a little less annoyed since I probably didn't have that much pooled up anyway.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Fish Noise posted:

rapid fire cuts to the tune of the can-can
This is a very, very good idea for the QR code presentation.

Alternatively, Caramelldansen. Just to see how many people :argh: in response.

I'm sure there's a guide online people can use if they actually want to find them all as opposed to be entertained.

EDIT: 500 seconds would be 8 minutes 20 seconds. Possibly a bit long. 3-5 seconds instead of 10 for each location would cut that down tremendously and still give plenty of time to pause for each one.

Shei-kun fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012