Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
https://twitter.com/LastStarfarer/status/1602422945644773376

Speedrunners have discovered that you can one-shot the first two bosses if you know when to stab them with a flare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game came out of nowhere and was really good, drat. I haven't felt this emotional over a horror game since Rule of Rose, or Silent Hill 2.

I'm not sure if I missed any notes, did it ever establish what exactly was happening to the Replikas or was it just "something" that happened after Falke came back from the desert?

I'm also guessing that the artifact ending is entirely up to interpretation it's probably nothing good with the red eye and elster committing some kind of sacrifical ritual but I'll just try and hope otherwise.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Wanderer posted:

https://twitter.com/LastStarfarer/status/1602422945644773376

Speedrunners have discovered that you can one-shot the first two bosses if you know when to stab them with a flare.
I discovered this on my first playthrough.

Clearly one of these speedrunners is dying from radiation poisoning and imprinting their knowledge of the game upon the minds of other gamers.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Shastahanshah posted:

I'm not sure if I missed any notes, did it ever establish what exactly was happening to the Replikas or was it just "something" that happened after Falke came back from the desert?

Looks like hardcore radiation sickness, presumably caused by Ariane. The completely organic Gestalts can't survive it (I swear there was a note somewhere that said some end up as shadows on the wall, like after a nuclear bomb) while the Replikas can survive longer. They also end up acting as listed in known issues documents - ie ARAR units hiding in vents - while some sort of cancerous growth is why they can get back up.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 13, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Just to tie it in with everything else, how likely is it that the catastrophic battle event witnessed by the original body was a nuclear blast? That would explain some of the imagery.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I don't think it's unreasonable given the images and the text on one of the keys, but it's not explicitly said outright.

From the Key of Eternity:

quote:

On the horizon, I saw a star fell into the sea, and the sound of thunder, like trumpets of angels, flew over the water.

There's also a very mushroom-looking cloud in one of the fast-scrolling image sequences: https://imgur.com/a/fLAxRsD

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I still need to try to map the six keys handled in each of the three areas to each other.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Shastahanshah posted:

I mean, isn't it nothing? None of it was real. As far as I can tell, the game occurs entirely in Elster's mind as a result of Ariane's memories leaking out of her dying mind through her bioresonance.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

tiniestacorn posted:

I mean, isn't it nothing? None of it was real. As far as I can tell, the game occurs entirely in Elster's mind as a result of Ariane's memories leaking out of her dying mind through her bioresonance.

nope. bioresonance has actual tangible effects on the real world (notably it's capable of terraforming entire planets, which is how Eusan spread its influence in the first place). more likely is that ariane's dying mind had contaminated reality around sierpinski station, forcing it into a closed loop where time and space reflect her own radiation sickness and only possibly ending when elster works up the will to mercy-kill her

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

nope. bioresonance has actual tangible effects on the real world (notably it's capable of terraforming entire planets, which is how Eusan spread its influence in the first place). more likely is that ariane's dying mind had contaminated reality around sierpinski station, forcing it into a closed loop where time and space reflect her own radiation sickness and only possibly ending when elster works up the will to mercy-kill her

How did they end up on Sierpinski if we know from the journals they made it out past the Oort Cloud?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

tiniestacorn posted:

How did they end up on Sierpinski if we know from the journals they made it out past the Oort Cloud?

My take:
It is the fever escape fantasy what-if story of a dying reality bender.

There's a few near misses in the game and they specifically go out of their way to mention them. For Elster, they were considering getting one stationed but that idea got put on hold because Falke got hospitalized.
For Ariane, she wouldve been sent to the mines if the penrose program didn't accept her.

Getting accepted indirectly lead to Falke getting sick, however. Which suggests that if Ariane had never been accepted for the program, Ariane and Elster would've ran into eachother at Sierpinski.

Alina never knew of Ariane, but Ariane knew someone was out there named Alina and they looked almost identical. That part almost feels like a self insert. If you're in eternal agony you'd probably want to be anywhere else, and be anyone else. Anything or anywhere else will be more appealing. Alina mentioning Elster is a big hint(Alina never met Elster) and her diary mentions her hair turning white. There's a little id card in game with her face on it. Her hair is already off color in there.

Space gulag loving sucks but when you're getting eternally mauled by radiation with no escape many things will begin to suddenly feel like better alternatives. And if you're capable of literally bending the fabric of the universe that has terrifying consequences.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

tiniestacorn posted:

To what degree the portrayed events can be taken literally is A Matter Of Some Debate, and certainly open to personal interpretation.

Some arguments for the more literal interpretation: Aside from the already mentioned factor of bioresonance being potentially insanely powerful on nearly godlike levels as seen in the Empress, one of the explicitly mentioned capabilities is the transference of consciousness between humanlike bodies. That is what the entire Replika program is based on, after all.

So rather than a physical teleportation, it's more likely that Ariane is (imperfectly) broadcasting her own and Elster's consciousness back to Sierpinski. We can see how there's some consciousness bleed as well, with Falke finding herself with memories of Ariane , and Adler being partially overwritten by Elster. Not to even speak of the whole Alina/Ariane thing. One of the game's big themes is the transmission, reception, and scrambling of signals, after all.

Last but not least, there's also a theory about outside involvement, somewhat supported by the secret ending. There's the possibility that there's some sort of third godlike entity making all this happen. This may either be because Elster physically stumbled upon it wherever their ship crash landed, or it might be that Great Eye mentioned in Ariane's birthplace that somehow took notice of her.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I like the idea that Ariane is capable of transmitting his bioresonance all the way across space which fucks up Sierpinski and infects everyone.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

you walked down a hole, crawled through a silent hill hole, openned a book, and then woke up in the Sierpinski bathroom. dream logic.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Just finished this. My initial irritated impression was that it was all a dream. But I like that it could be interpreted in different ways. I had a hard time telling a lot of the characters apart because of the artstyle, though I guess that was intentional with at least 3 of them.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

Just finished this. My initial irritated impression was that it was all a dream. But I like that it could be interpreted in different ways. I had a hard time telling a lot of the characters apart because of the artstyle, though I guess that was intentional with at least 3 of them.

I feel that it doesn't matter, similar to how in Bloodborne there are dream/nightmare worlds but they also don't invalidate the premise.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Interesting commentary from the director about how the endings "work" narratively:

https://twitter.com/LastStarfarer/status/1612563738850123776

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I understand their perspective but when the central motivation of the game is to fulfill a promise and there’s only one ending where that promise is fulfilled then it makes a certain impression

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What about the lesbian eldritch god-artifact body merge?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
At the same time, it's not clear how much, if at all, either of them even remember the promise or the reason it was made which complicates the moral calculus

Jack Trades posted:

What about the lesbian eldritch god-artifact body merge?

Obviously the best ending

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I played through the game a second time, with a friend this time, and then we both had a long hard think about the game's story and as much as I hate it, I'm having a real hard time coming up with a working timeline where the majority of the story is not just a dream/halucination/etc.
Most of the pieces just don't fit right no matter how much I flip and turn them.

I WANT there to be a working explanation along the lines of "Dying Ariane is infecting everyone back home via psychic powers/eldritch god artifact with her and Elster's memories which turns them into zombies or makes them crazy." but it just doesn't work. The details don't match for it.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 10, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Do details have to match when a reality warping being is involved?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, judging by the texts you can find ingame, bioresonance is basically magic and can reach near-godlike proportions. IIRC the empress outright terraformed a planet with it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Like someone said earlier, it's not that the game takes place in a dream, it's that the line between dream and the real world is almost nonexistent. Multiple entities have a superpower that allows them to directly impose their minds' eye upon the physical world and experiences of others and they're all doing it at the same time, some consciously and some not, some weakly and some strongly. Dream or not dream treats it as a permanent binary choice in a way that the game does not.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 10, 2023

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

haveblue posted:

Like someone said earlier, it's not that the game takes place in a dream, it's that the line between dream and the real world is almost nonexistent. Multiple entities have a superpower that allows them to directly impose their minds' eye upon the reality experienced by others and they're all doing it at the same time, some consciously and some not, some weakly and some strongly. Dream or not dream treats it as a permanent binary choice in a way that the game does not.
Arguably, the line is not between dream and reality, but memories and reality. The dream is reality, while Adler's memories have been made false.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I made a reply to the effect of every ending being true and tragic, and Stern agreed wholeheartedly. a particular thing about one ending: in PROMISE, you lay down to rest in the exact pose you find the body that you repair yourself with parts from in, same chamber, everything.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Finished the game with Memory, then watched the others online. Absolute masterpiece, but I definitely prefer Promise to the other endings.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zero Punctuation made a video today where he specifically mentions two issues he had with Signalis.

Limited inventory space and the combat being pointless because you can always just run away.

I mention this because I've heard that from a bunch of other people too and it never stops baffling me how these people don't realize that these two "issues" cancel each other out if you just spend your loving ammo.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Zero Punctuation made a video today where he specifically mentions two issues he had with Signalis.

Limited inventory space and the combat being pointless because you can always just run away.

I mention this because I've heard that from a bunch of other people too and it never stops baffling me how these people don't realize that these two "issues" cancel each other out if you just spend your loving ammo.
There's even a secret alternate solution: Not using weapons outside bosses.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Conflicts between combat and inventory space aren't the issue, like you say there are options there. It's the conflicts between puzzles and inventory space that get aggravating

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

There's even a secret alternate solution: Not using weapons outside bosses.

Do you need to use weapons against bosses?
I know I've beaten two of them without any weapons, on accident mostly, but that made me think that you might be able to handle the other one the same way.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'd have been much happier with the limit if the torch didn't take up a slot. It actually, if any equipped tool was treated separately to the 6 item limit.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

haveblue posted:

Conflicts between combat and inventory space aren't the issue, like you say there are options there. It's the conflicts between puzzles and inventory space that get aggravating

Yeah, that's really the core of the issue. Say you go out with a fairly minimal loadout: The flashlight, one weapon, one stack of ammo, one healing item, maybe one wildcard (flare, different weapon/ammo you just found, different healing item, whichever). That leaves you with 2-3 slots for puzzle items, and some areas have like 5+ of those laying about available at the same time. That leads to a lot of running back and forth between puzzle locations and the nearest inventory chest in a way that didn't feel interesting or thematic, but more just like kinda tedious padding.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Filling 5 out of 6 slots is not what I would personally call a "minimal loadout".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah a minimal loadout would be the flashlight and 1 or 2 other items. Maybe a gun with just its loaded magazine, or 1 healing item, leaving you 4 slots. There are multiple puzzles for which that's still not enough to pick everything up in one go, and exploring a room also removes any hint that there might be unclaimed things in it from the map. Even if you want to go hog wild and carry zero items, you can't, because you're not allowed to fumble around in dark areas and need to have the flashlight on you to claim those pickups and open those doors

haveblue fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 18, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My go to loadout usually was Flashlight + A Gun or Stun Batons + Ammo if I thought I was gonna explore long enough to spend it all.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Most of the time I'd just take two loaded guns with me. Maybe one of those slotted upgrade items. Works out fine, but it still wouldn't hurt if there was more space. It would still be great.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

:shrug: Perhaps I just had a bad streak, but it felt like every time I went exploring without any reserves I'd quickly run into a situation where I would need them after all. Went out once without the flashlight, immediately encountered a new darkened area after I thought those were done with. Went out with just a full gun without extra ammo, ran into a fight that had me run dry right away. So at the time it felt like either I'd be regularly running back to restock, or I'd be regularly running back to shuffle slots, both of which lead to the same result.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the only thing I consistently carried was a single fully loaded weapon. everything else i stowed away on the next trip into the save room until immediately before I knew I needed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Perestroika posted:

:shrug: Perhaps I just had a bad streak, but it felt like every time I went exploring without any reserves I'd quickly run into a situation where I would need them after all. Went out once without the flashlight, immediately encountered a new darkened area after I thought those were done with. Went out with just a full gun without extra ammo, ran into a fight that had me run dry right away. So at the time it felt like either I'd be regularly running back to restock, or I'd be regularly running back to shuffle slots, both of which lead to the same result.

Were you waiting for the aiming reticule to contract before shooting? It does more damage if you do and saves you ammo.