Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Treecko posted:

Now I have to choose from being arrested for indecent exposure or driving a truck

You can put a bumper sticker on your prius that says "I GOT A HUGE COCK!" or a sticker of calvin peeing on the words "dudes with small cocks".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Maybe I'll slam some Trucknuts on my exhaust pipe so people know I'm a real man

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Walk around naked?

that'd be the opposite of showing a big cock

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ishikabibble posted:

i live in the middle of the california desert in a town hours removed from anywhere where a tenth of the town lives below the povery line. i also previously worked doing real estate appraisal for the LA/Riverside/San Bernadino/Orange area and saw plenty of trends of previously low income/affordable 'urban' neighborhoods suddenly becoming expensive as people moved in and gentrified the area.

literally the only place that that might not be 100% true is on the east coast and even then that's arguably just on a neighborhood basis at that point. i've been to plenty of cities all across the US on both personal and work travel and in almost all of them i've seen new developments of stupid expensive condos or apartments and bougie restaurants selling $12 lemonade popping up around anywhere that can be considered in or near an 'urban center'

it's even happening in fuckin Des Moines, Iowa

it's almost as if there's a huge demand for walkable neighborhoods but not the supply to match it

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
feeling cute, might put some ironic truck nuts on my sedan later

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Trucknuts are useful

They tell me to stay away from the person driving

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Installing a car vulva on my ford truck to confuse and arouse motorists

naem
May 29, 2011

BigBadSteve posted:

They're right.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

coldpudding posted:

Cars were a lot cooler when they were rickety little open topped deathtraps that topped out at like 30mph.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqbeoSFvUYU

This is :krad: and cars should have stayed the same till this day. We have just developed them carelessly to the point of perversion, and often they fall victim to fatal accidents in the hands of the driver.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
That thumbnail makes me want to press Triangle so bad.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

kntfkr posted:

That thumbnail makes me want to press Triangle so bad.

You should, because YOLO.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Treecko posted:

Now I have to choose from being arrested for indecent exposure or driving a truck

:yeshaha:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Cars are cool and driving is neat, we should make it less necessary to drive so that fewer people do it, so it can be exclusive to people who enjoy doing it (who are happier because there's less traffic), and people who don't like driving don't have to do it or own cars.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

Cars are cool and driving is neat, we should make it less necessary to drive so that fewer people do it, so it can be exclusive to people who enjoy doing it (who are happier because there's less traffic), and people who don't like driving don't have to do it or own cars.

this

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Also it should be mandated that every state has a sweet stretch of road in it that also doubles as a racetrack like the Nurburgring.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

Also it should be mandated that every state has a sweet stretch of road in it that also doubles as a racetrack like the Nurburgring.

Has to have a loop in it like a hotwheels track

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
people texting on the loop and falling off the top will be a problem

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

a self-correcting problem you mean

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

We should remove turn signals, crumple zones and seat belts imo

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I love driving but I would rather live in a neighbourhood where my kid can walk to school and I don't have to worry about them getting Tesla'd

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Speaking of your kids imminent demise I love how recent discourse about reducing the speed limit inside residential areas from 50kmh to 30kmh because being a child or teenager hit by a modern vehicle at 50kmh has a 90% chance of dying and 30kmh has a 10% chance of dying are being met with demands to split the difference and reduce it to 40. 40kmh has a 40% chance of your kid still ending up in a body bag.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
There's an infamous photo radar speed camera here in Toronto that just ranked #1 in tickets issued for the eighth time in a row - >20,000 tickets issued total, nearly 2,000 in January alone, more than $2.2 million in revenue). Naturally all the carbrained neanderthals on Reddit are coming out to leave their asinine $0.02 on the matter, from guys claiming it's just a big cash grab to at least one rear end in a top hat who claimed that the speed limit on that road is wrong; "there's nothing on the road to indicate it should be a 40kmh other than the sign," and naturally, a healthy contingent of fools who want to talk about bicycles.

You'd think maybe given comments like that, that the camera might be cleverly placed at like, a highway offramp or something, right? This is the speed camera in question:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Mister Speaker posted:

"there's nothing on the road to indicate it should be a 40kmh other than the sign,"

:bighow:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

If entitled pedestrians embraced the car's ability to improve humanity, in a few generations we'd have car-proof men and women

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

There's an infamous photo radar speed camera here in Toronto that just ranked #1 in tickets issued for the eighth time in a row - >20,000 tickets issued total, nearly 2,000 in January alone, more than $2.2 million in revenue). Naturally all the carbrained neanderthals on Reddit are coming out to leave their asinine $0.02 on the matter, from guys claiming it's just a big cash grab to at least one rear end in a top hat who claimed that the speed limit on that road is wrong; "there's nothing on the road to indicate it should be a 40kmh other than the sign," and naturally, a healthy contingent of fools who want to talk about bicycles.

You'd think maybe given comments like that, that the camera might be cleverly placed at like, a highway offramp or something, right? This is the speed camera in question:

Road design dictates how much driver will regulate speed more than signage and signage is often pretty sparse and easy to miss. I once got busted by photo radar in a school zone and the stretch of road was a wide rear end road through an industrial area with not a person in sight and a boatload of signs for all the businesses and then blammo school zone.

The solution isn't to accept higher rates of speed though it's to change road design to make drivers feel the need to go slower and also regulate how much signage is allowed to be at the same eye level as road signs.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 16, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

EvilJoven posted:

Speaking of your kids imminent demise I love how recent discourse about reducing the speed limit inside residential areas from 50kmh to 30kmh because being a child or teenager hit by a modern vehicle at 50kmh has a 90% chance of dying and 30kmh has a 10% chance of dying are being met with demands to split the difference and reduce it to 40. 40kmh has a 40% chance of your kid still ending up in a body bag.

And this really also shows a lot of issues with planning, as ideally you shouldn't be driving around a residential area enough to care you're going a bit slower, till you get to a main road. But yeah when no one walks anywhere, so everytime someone goes out it's by car yeah that time adds up. Also you just get a whole bunch of people cutting through residential streets when the speed limits higher leading to more cars as well. You'd think people would want less car's on the streets directly outside their house, but doesn't seem that way.

Particularly fun as a lot of people complaining about the lower speed limit are the same ones who are likely complaining about kids not going outside to play as much any more.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022

Methanar posted:

Most of small town america's local governments are funded by speeding tickets. If everybody used public transit, It's likely property taxes would need to go up for everyone.

Makes you think.

It clearly hasn't made you think.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dystopian megacities for some, post-apocalyptic open wasteland for others.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Cars are a blight on humanity. No hyperbole.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7FjsI9KjJo

Lean back.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

FogHelmut posted:

Dystopian megacities for some, post-apocalyptic open wasteland for others.

I'll take the wasteland, please.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

Speaking of your kids imminent demise I love how recent discourse about reducing the speed limit inside residential areas from 50kmh to 30kmh because being a child or teenager hit by a modern vehicle at 50kmh has a 90% chance of dying...

It's annoying that we had to give up pop-up headlights in the name of pedestrian safety, but it's fine to have a six foot solid wall of metal front end on 5000+ pound pickup trucks and SUVs.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Cars are awesome and people should be able to have one.

However, cars in old cities suck and not a single city person should be forced to own a car to do their daily commuting. Either do personal transport on two wheels, or make public transport as fast and reliable as cars.

Cars should either be driven for fun, or to places where public transport isn't realistically possible because there are too few people to get trains and buses to go 4 times an hour per direction.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

LimaBiker posted:

Cars are awesome and people should be able to have one.

However, cars in old cities suck and not a single city person should be forced to own a car to do their daily commuting. Either do personal transport on two wheels, or make public transport as fast and reliable as cars.

Cars should either be driven for fun, or to places where public transport isn't realistically possible because there are too few people to get trains and buses to go 4 times an hour per direction.

counterpoint: cars suck

What about instead of making people drive for shopping or leisure or education spaces, to instead have these places close enough to where people live that they don't even have to take public transport.

The biggest problem with cars IMO is how they basically shaped how people built cities around them, and not around people.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Space Kablooey posted:

What about instead of making people drive for shopping or leisure or education spaces, to instead have these places close enough to where people live that they don't even have to take public transport.

The biggest problem with cars IMO is how they basically shaped how people built cities around them, and not around people.

cars rule actually. being forced to drive them is the bad part

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Space Kablooey posted:

:yeah:

although personally i have no gripe with hopping on a bus or subway for stuff that's farther away. can't expect everything to be strictly within walking distance

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

just gotta merge onto the interstate at 90 miles an hour and drive for 15 minutes to go pick up a couple cans of beer and a scratch and win ticket, brb

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

is it possible maybe that we can learn to run really fast or something? idk just an 'ideas guy'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Skateboards based transportation imo