Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
New font
Wow its bad
Yeah it sucks
Agreed, its p bad
i like it!! :downs:
View Results

• Locked thread
bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
new font snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ffs lowtax just buy some forum software written this millennium and start over

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Valeyard posted:

dont worry, there is a contingency in place

the valeyard shelter for wayward yosposters where you have to be nice to valeyard?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sweevo posted:

or just use smf or something

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

wesley snypes posted:

radium set up the servers (7 of them running parallel copies just for forums, more for front page, a secure server, some file servers, etc etc etc) in this really weird way, and basically

lmfao

:shepface:

also the front page uses more servers than the forums? i had no idea there is a front page.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

maniacdevnull posted:

also the front page uses more servers than the forums? i had no idea there is a front page.

no i think it means "some more servers for..." not "more than 7 for..."

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 16, 2014

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
eh just rewrite everything to use bootstrap nbd

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

wesley snypes posted:

radium set up the servers (7 of them running parallel copies just for forums, more for front page, a secure server, some file servers, etc etc etc) in this really weird way, and basically

lmfao

also lol

what's puppet precious

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Mr Dog posted:

also lol

what's puppet precious

i dont think puppet was around in 2000 precious

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mr Dog posted:

eh just rewrite everything to use bootstrap nbd

no they need to use node.js, get close to the metal, for performance

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sweevo posted:

its only like $250 for the newest VBulletin

what features would need to be added?

probations, monetize avatar changes, seperate out private messages and searches to platinum only

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

yeah but gbs would poo poo bricks if you removed such vital features as saclopedia or the gloryhole

pram
Jun 10, 2001

maniacdevnull posted:

Wait a fuckin minute here... A front page??

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
a front page you say? gadzooks! i've been had!!

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
just wait till you see the back page lol

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
I like fonts.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

i think you'll find the correct term is typeface

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
didn't joking about the front page used to be bannable

pram
Jun 10, 2001
he still bans for it lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Valeyard posted:

just wait till you see the back page lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
page 3 :smugmrgw:

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 351 days!

Sweevo posted:

no i think it means "some more servers for..." not "more than 7 for..."

yeah theres something like 3 servers just for the front page. radium had no idea how to handle traffic, so i guess whenever things started chugging, he just got lowtax to buy another server or three so he could spread the load between more copies

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 351 days!
on archives

radiums enemy posted:

radium's archiver is really three scripts: an archiver, a marker, and a pruner. The archiver copies posts into the archives database, the marker figures out which threads are too old to be in the live forums, and the pruner removes them from the live forums. The pruner does not make sure the posts or threads are in the archives before deleting them, resulting in various sizeable gaps in the archives whenever the archive process was not working (this past summer in particular). C'est la vie.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
at no point in this process did anyone stop and say, "well wait a tick, how do other sites handle the load?"

nope, just rubegoldberian load balancing and hacked in css on increasingly esoteric implementations of systems that were never meant to scale. like the wild-west throw everything at the problem until it goes away systems of the 90s, only a decade late

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 351 days!
terrible css hackery? idk what youre talking about

radiums enemy posted:

The main problem is that the CSS should be edited in the forum code, but I'm the only one who can do that and there's no way I can deploy the forum code every time someone wants a little change made. The files have to reside on seven different servers and are subject to a number of different caches which makes editing those files a nightmare even for me. So someone before me made a stub file on a separate FTP server that admins can edit to change the forum CSS, which is why it's always edited live and you see all kinds of weird rear end problems when someone is editing something. It's a terrible scenario but it's what we're stuck with for now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i wonder how badly you can gently caress up the forums code by putting php in one of those css stubs.

i mean normally that's completely nonsensical, but the css is apparently inserted into the live forums code and executed, so who loving knows?

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 351 days!
you could probably bring the whole thing toppling down with just a scrap of jquery somehow

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i have a sneaking suspicion it is literally impossible to restore from a backup if one of the several servers fails, which would explain why the forums were down for about a week instead of an hour or two over the summer

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 351 days!
i'm not even sure that there IS a backup. theres no revision control for css, at least.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

infernal machines posted:

i have a sneaking suspicion it is literally impossible to restore from a backup if one of the several servers fails, which would explain why the forums were down for about a week instead of an hour or two over the summer

idk I still think the database guys were pretty bad at their jobs.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Symbolic Butt posted:

idk I still think the database guys were pretty bad at their jobs.

well valeyard recommended them, so probably.

but i'd bet there's no way to restore a backup to only one server if poo poo gets out of sync either, so unless all your server backups are in a coherent state you can't restore them

so instead the db commandos had to spend a week manually hacking the forums dbs back into a state that would sync between servers

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 17, 2014

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

infernal machines posted:

well valeyard recommended them, so probably.

but i'd bet there's no way to restore a backup to only one server if poo poo gets out of sync either, so unless all your server backups are in a coherent state you can't restore them

so instead the db commandos had to spend a week manually hacking the forums dbs back into a state that would sync between servers

i know jack poo poo about databases + nobody gives a poo poo what i think, so no that definetely wasnt me lol

gonna guess the last time a backup was done was when new hardware was bought after katrina

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]
hum... i don't care for it. (the font.)

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

wesley snypes posted:

yeah theres something like 3 servers just for the front page. radium had no idea how to handle traffic, so i guess whenever things started chugging, he just got lowtax to buy another server or three so he could spread the load between more copies

this is why the forum costs so much to run

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
But he ~works on a computer~! Shouldn't he know how to fix this computer stuff?

*is everyone's parents*

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

theadder posted:

this is why the forum costs so much to run

my company bought 16k drives back in 2006 for their mysql server for large dollars (raid 10 too). i started looking into performance issues last year and none of the tables had indexes on columns commonly used for queries or joins.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

my stepdads beer posted:

my company bought 16k drives back in 2006 for their mysql server for large dollars (raid 10 too). i started looking into performance issues last year and none of the tables had indexes on columns commonly used for queries or joins.

throwing money is easy, throwing expertise is hard

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

maniacdevnull posted:

throwing money is easy, throwing expertise is hard

like SA has money to throw around. although they might be able to get some expertise if they actually asked some of the forum users what to do.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
that would turn the forums from a beat up 98 miata into a homercar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

newreply.php posted:

that would turn the forums from a beat up 98 miata into a homercar

at least it would have comedic value? :shrug: