Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

So I was just curious because I had to check, but the Denver Broncos defense did set a record in points allowed, both regular or playoff games. All the other games with 70+ points had at least some points coming from interceptions, fumbles, or special teams.

Championship - Chicago Bears (73) at Washington Redskins (0) - December 8th, 1940
Washington D allowed only 53 points - 3 pick 6s by the Bears.

Baltimore Colts (27) at Los Angeles Rams (70) - October 22nd, 1950
Colts D allowed only 63 points - 1 kickoff return for the Rams.

New York Giants (41) at Washington Redskins (70) - November 27th, 1966
Giants D allowed only 49 points - 1 fumble return, 1 punt return, and 1 pick 6 for Washington.

So this really was the worst defensive performance of all time in the NFL. Only defense in 17,426 games so far to allow 70 loving points.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

I don't think anything is gonna happen. They have a ton invested in Payton.

Coming into this game they were 0-2 by 3 total points. They have the Bears and Jets coming up, which means they could be 2-3 in a couple of weeks. Things will quiet down at that point.

Now, if they lose both of those games....lol

I may be oversimplifying things, but I see a tremendous offensive scheme improvement by the Broncos. Last year, the offense was incredibly inept and was being kept in games by the defense. With Football Outsiders defunct, I don't have the DVOA numbers handy, but I remember the defense being highly ranked until the wheels completely came off in those last few weeks of the season.

Russ is still missing reads, lacking anticipation, and making off-target throws even when it shows up as a completion on the box score (look at Sutton's first fumble ... he's crossing the field left and the pass is wide right, causing him to spin around to catch it and is still wildly contorting his body as he goes into contact with the defender where it gets punched out) but he's being very productive this year compared to last.

The special teams was historically bad the past few seasons, and this year look to be somewhat improved even with the clown show at figuring out the kicker and panicking as the preseason was ending and making a trade for a familiar face regardless of recent performance.

The defensive regression is stunning. Injuries have been an issue, and being out Justin Simmons and having a banged up Safety core is not good and foreshadowed a tough day at the office for the secondary against Miami, but I allowed myself a little false hope when Waddle was announced as out since I thought they could bracket Hill.

I think a complete fire-sale and cleaning of house isn't productive other than making angry people feel like things are being done, however you'd have a pretty hard time convincing me to not show Vance Joseph his walking papers. Giving up 70 points requires a very specific combination of ineptitude, quitting, bad scheme, and bad luck. I don't know if it's possible for him to recover from it, and if it is, it's probably at another team.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

I may be oversimplifying things, but I see a tremendous offensive scheme improvement by the Broncos. Last year, the offense was incredibly inept and was being kept in games by the defense. With Football Outsiders defunct, I don't have the DVOA numbers handy, but I remember the defense being highly ranked until the wheels completely came off in those last few weeks of the season.

Russ is still missing reads, lacking anticipation, and making off-target throws even when it shows up as a completion on the box score (look at Sutton's first fumble ... he's crossing the field left and the pass is wide right, causing him to spin around to catch it and is still wildly contorting his body as he goes into contact with the defender where it gets punched out) but he's being very productive this year compared to last.

The special teams was historically bad the past few seasons, and this year look to be somewhat improved even with the clown show at figuring out the kicker and panicking as the preseason was ending and making a trade for a familiar face regardless of recent performance.

The defensive regression is stunning. Injuries have been an issue, and being out Justin Simmons and having a banged up Safety core is not good and foreshadowed a tough day at the office for the secondary against Miami, but I allowed myself a little false hope when Waddle was announced as out since I thought they could bracket Hill.

I think a complete fire-sale and cleaning of house isn't productive other than making angry people feel like things are being done, however you'd have a pretty hard time convincing me to not show Vance Joseph his walking papers. Giving up 70 points requires a very specific combination of ineptitude, quitting, bad scheme, and bad luck. I don't know if it's possible for him to recover from it, and if it is, it's probably at another team.

Haha broncos lol

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Cavauro posted:

That's right. But I would like to negotiate. The referees deserve a very quiet mention, that you might not hear, but could be heard if you tried for it. Deal?

I cant accept. The refs would have never been involved if wed just played out the situation correctly plus we didnt get called for anything all game really

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I mean you went for a touchdown on fourth and goal up by 3 TDs lol, McDaniel was absolutely trying to humiliate people and did so with great success

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Cowards should have tried for the record

It feels more disrespectful NOT to go for the record if you're that close. Like you weren't even doing it for history, you were just being an rear end in a top hat (I have zero problem with the Dolphins running up the score on them btw, if you don't like it you should git gud, but it's inarguably an rear end in a top hat move heh)

Ehud posted:

McDaniel officially on the hot seat for not going for the record.

:haibrow:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I doubt McDaniel gives a poo poo about Sean Payton’s feelings but he seems like the kind of guy that would want to spare the players any more humiliation.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Haha broncos lol

Someone whip up a box of "Great Value Colorado Football Team."

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sorry if already posted but lol

https://twitter.com/MiamiDolphins/status/1706345202229670213

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Docjowles posted:

I mean you went for a touchdown on fourth and goal up by 3 TDs lol, McDaniel was absolutely trying to humiliate people and did so with great success
Counterpoint to this: that was in the 2nd quarter, right? That means there is a lot game left. Its not super common but teams come back from being down 3 TDs with more than half the game to go. I'd go for the score too.

Docjowles posted:

It feels more disrespectful NOT to go for the record if you're that close. Like you weren't even doing it for history, you were just being an rear end in a top hat (I have zero problem with the Dolphins running up the score on them btw, if you don't like it you should git gud, but it's inarguably an rear end in a top hat move heh)
Backups scored two TDs in the 4th when the defense just rolled over. Its not like Tua was out there slinging it late into the 4th. One of the TDs was the backup QB to a practice squad WR. Thats not on Mike McDaniel. The other was the backup RB on a normal running play. Its not the RB's fault the defense didnt tackle him.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

SpaceDrake posted:

Okay, but for like. actual real. What exactly is the timeline on the entire Broncos coaching staff being cleaned out this week.

I have got to imagine that losing like it's the pre-Super Bowl era means that every single job in the locker room is in jeopardy

I'm not that big up on all the stuff happening in Denver but I have got to imagine that the effects of a loss that dire are reverberating throughout the entire org, tiny quibbles about "~respek~" or whatever we've been on about for the last few pages aside

Just how much longer will Payton even be head coach? How much longer will the DC be in place? Will most of the d-line still have jobs this week? Do union rules prevent firing players mid-season? What exactly can happen here.

Losing too the bears

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
In a week where the Bills play the Dolphins, Broncos/Bears will easily be the game of the week. Strong chance of eclipsing the Broncos/Colts TNF game from last year

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
https://twitter.com/grindingthetape/status/1706337715971564012?s=46&t=4v69OlVJpK1h7pgGOGqqoA

It’s amazing to me that Mike McDaniels solution to a fragile QB and dubious OL play was just “what if we didn’t let the pass rushers get near the quarterback” and then you score 70 points with that

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If the Broncos don’t fire Vance Joseph, today, they’re beyond a fradulent organization. Like, how the gently caress is that dude gonna get any respect from defensive linemen or edge rushers while he’s telling them schemes. Who would ever listen to him ever after defensive playcalling that historically bad.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Broncos are 0-3, just lost a game by 50 points and still only have the 3rd worst point differential.

Congratulations Giants and Bears

-59 Bears
-55 Giants
-53 Broncos
-32 Raiders
-28 Football Team
+41 Browns
+48 Cowboys / 49ers
+56 Bills
+59 Dolphins

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Counterpoint to this: that was in the 2nd quarter, right? That means there is a lot game left. Its not super common but teams come back from being down 3 TDs with more than half the game to go. I'd go for the score too.

It was halfway through the 3rd, the game was pretty well over by then. The Broncos never scored again other than Mims' kickoff return

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Hamhandler posted:

https://twitter.com/grindingthetape/status/1706337715971564012?s=46&t=4v69OlVJpK1h7pgGOGqqoA

It’s amazing to me that Mike McDaniels solution to a fragile QB and dubious OL play was just “what if we didn’t let the pass rushers get near the quarterback” and then you score 70 points with that

yea, what exactly is going on here? how did he fix that o-line from shaky to an actual wall?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

Aside from narratives of "Payton has really talked himself into a corner this time!" what was evident is that the Broncos were badly outmatched as a team, the Dolphins offense is elite and they played a team that can't tackle.

Now there is speculation that Payton will bench Wilson. Wilson's washed but the whole idea was to raise Wilson from the dead, not bury him.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 25, 2023

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
https://twitter.com/ArtButSports/status/1706338838153474384

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

abelwingnut posted:

yea, what exactly is going on here? how did he fix that o-line from shaky to an actual wall?

Tua is getting rid of the ball quicker than anyone else. there is no time for pressure

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Kalli posted:

The Broncos are 0-3, just lost a game by 50 points and still only have the 3rd worst point differential.

-59 Bears
-55 Giants
-53 Broncos
-32 Raiders
-28 Football Team
+41 Browns
+48 Cowboys / 49ers
+56 Bills
+59 Dolphins

Hell yeah

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/iamSauceGardner/status/1706364576730669141?t=Blh1pcs9oCftfxpGnEnAcA&s=19

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Mac Jones really wants defensive players to wreck his poo poo doesn't he? Just asking for the 2015 Cam head hunting

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Per this site, which I think is Ben Baldwin's, the Dolphins had 0.62 EPA / play yesterday. That's 0.43 higher than the 0.19 they had last week against New England, and 0.29 higher than the 0.33 they had against the Chargers.

The Washington Commanders had an EPA / play of -0.54 yesterday; that's 0.76 lower than the 0.22 they had last week against Denver. Their epa/play was -0.22 against Arizona, 0.44 lower than against Denver.

In other words - in EPA terms, the Commanders were helped even more by playing the Broncos defense than the 70-point Dolphins.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Kawalimus posted:

I cant accept. The refs would have never been involved if wed just played out the situation correctly plus we didnt get called for anything all game really

the refs must be involved in each game. they have a large role to play before, during, and after every play. i can't let go of this one.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Cavauro posted:

the refs must be involved in each game. they have a large role to play before, during, and after every play. i can't let go of this one.

And neither can I. When you have a game in hand you can't blame anyone else but yourself. Like I said it's one slight step up from fumbling the snap on a kneeldown.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
At least the other NFL teams, even the Broncos, showed flashes of occasional competence the first several weeks.

I legit think the Bears will go 0-17 if they don't change, well, everything.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

well. the idea that the refs would have never been involved in any situation is factually untrue. so i'll just be on my way. sorry it came to this.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Sean Payton isn't going to get fired for giving up 70 points. He got the team to score 69 points through three games when last year they had only 44 at the same point last year. I think the majority of last year's were defensive, as well. This year has mostly been offense. The Broncos offense is definitely much better than it was last year and will continue to get better week over week.

The defense, though, wooof.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
The Broncos definitely need to fire Joseph but Payton has basically did a 180 with Wilson. His stats are nearly identical to Mahomes so he hasn't been the problem like he was last season.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
A thing of beauty.

https://twitter.com/NFLUK/status/1705998099359879337?s=20

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Cavauro posted:

well. the idea that the refs would have never been involved in any situation is factually untrue. so i'll just be on my way. sorry it came to this.

I understand that the refs affect every game. But in the last two minutes and three seconds of regulation they had nothing to do with it except for the block in the back call which to my knowledge was a legitimate call. And the Ravens can avoid that by understanding the situation and not pushing too hard for a first. Now if the Colts had three timeouts I'd understand trying to get away with something so we can get the first and not give them the ball back but in this situation we didn't have to. The missed PI call in overtime would have never happened if the Ravens had just played that situation correctly and probably had a 99%+ chance of winning by the time the Colts got the ball back.

I apologize for dragging this out. But I have to make myself clear because I don't think enough people understand that the Ravens/Colts game was a won game for the Ravens once the Colts kicked off(free kicked rather) and it didn't go out of bounds.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Kalli posted:

-59 Bears
-55 Giants
-53 Broncos
-32 Raiders
-28 Football Team
+41 Browns
+48 Cowboys / 49ers
+56 Bills
+59 Dolphins

this is wild. i was watching the athletic show earlier and Robert Mays utter disgust and continued pain from watching the Bears is top tier entertainment. I feel bad for the guy but its compelling stuff.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Name Change posted:

Now there is speculation that Payton will bench Wilson. Wilson's washed but the whole idea was to raise Wilson from the dead, not bury him.

Who the gently caress is speculating this? Russ wasn't great but nothing yesterday was his fault. Even if you spotted the offense an extra 3 loving touchdowns based on missed plays by Russ or whatever, the defense would still have given up 4 scores too many.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Kalli posted:

-59 Bears
-55 Giants
-53 Broncos
-32 Raiders
-28 Football Team
+41 Browns
+48 Cowboys / 49ers
+56 Bills
+59 Dolphins

the browns are way too high on this list.

i guess they've only played the bengals, steelers, and titans, though. that should change quite a bit.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

abelwingnut posted:

the browns are way too high on this list.

i guess they've only played the bengals, steelers, and titans, though. that should change quite a bit.

they've got the ravens and 49ers coming up next so it should reach a normal level. that said the browns have a pretty weak schedule this year especially if their defense is going to be murderously good. it won't matter that the rapist is a garbage qb bc right now the only competition for the division is the ravens.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Kawalimus posted:

I understand that the refs affect every game. But in the last two minutes and three seconds of regulation they had nothing to do with it except for the block in the back call which to my knowledge was a legitimate call. And the Ravens can avoid that by understanding the situation and not pushing too hard for a first. Now if the Colts had three timeouts I'd understand trying to get away with something so we can get the first and not give them the ball back but in this situation we didn't have to. The missed PI call in overtime would have never happened if the Ravens had just played that situation correctly and probably had a 99%+ chance of winning by the time the Colts got the ball back.

I apologize for dragging this out. But I have to make myself clear because I don't think enough people understand that the Ravens/Colts game was a won game for the Ravens once the Colts kicked off(free kicked rather) and it didn't go out of bounds.

i trust you.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Borsche69 posted:

this guy at least ran his own conditioning program before joining the ravens which saunders never did iirc, he also came in as a performance analyst midway through saunders tenure before working his way up, so i dont think he was handpicked by saunders to be hired. the reports about saunders were also that he basically ran everything and the people under him didnt have much in the way of autonomy. it doesnt seem like he was saunders lackey or anything or that he was fully ascribed to the saunders philosophy or anything like that.

if you're looking for why there's still injuries after saunders is gone, its probably that things take time to change and you cant really flip a switch with people's bodies. firing saunders was never going to suddenly heal bowser's knee

All of this is right, but not the real heart of the matter. It's luck. We all like to pretend there is some direct attributable cause and that's just not true. The Ravens had one horrifically bad injury year in 2021. The rest have been knock on effects from that year and the bad luck of high value players being the disproportionate recipients of injuries. poo poo happens.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Actually the game was more than 99% won because even when the Colts got the ball back with like 20 seconds the Ravens could have just held every single player on the first play so they can't even get off a hail mary type thing and force them to do laterals on the 2nd play. This is the same way Buffalo messed up in the playoffs against KC a couple years ago and let them tie the game and win in OT. John Harbaugh has actually played this situation correctly in the past. But who knows if he would play it the right way now.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

God I love him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Puppy Bowl posted:

All of this is right, but not the real heart of the matter. It's luck. We all like to pretend there is some direct attributable cause and that's just not true. The Ravens had one horrifically bad injury year in 2021. The rest have been knock on effects from that year and the bad luck of high value players being the disproportionate recipients of injuries. poo poo happens.

yup. and the only other bad injury year we've really had during harbaugh's tenure was 2015 with flacco, steve smith, yanda (i think) and a bunch others. otherwise, we're probably hovering around the league average for injuries outside of these last couple.