Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the tiktok ban and ownership transfer is dumb, but i kinda wonder what the lifespan of various supa stars can be measure in timeunits of atleast days or higher.
or if the grind of those studios or some other solo ops has a decent financial ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Baron von Eevl posted:

My phone purports to have this but I've never actually tried it and it seems kinda bullshit

It's been a thing since the dumbphone days, it works. Not always reliably but wires is wires, apparently.

I had a similar thought when I figured out how the passthru device I use to get the internet working in my room is since it's too far for our crappy wi-fi. I plug one into the power outlet and plug it into the modem, and another one into another outlet and plug that into the computer, and it somehow uses the house's power grid as an extension cord. It feels Orky.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Phy posted:

Yeah my Motorola has an FM receiver that uses the headphone cable as the antenna

Every phone I've owned (except the latest, which has no headphone port) has had this capability. It used to be standard.

Also, I hate that my current phone has no headphone port and I really hope I can get one that has one again next time.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
there's a few weird radio nerds that try to lobby cellmakers to have FM tuners

FM is free over the air (ota)and isnt data mined(maybe? maybe the app interface can do stuff) so all the phone makers probably hates them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PhazonLink posted:

there's a few weird radio nerds that try to lobby cellmakers to have FM tuners

FM is free over the air (ota)and isnt data mined(maybe? maybe the app interface can do stuff) so all the phone makers probably hates them.

I suspect it's less that and more "no one actually gives a poo poo except for a few weirdo nerds, and this adds an expense in materials, in software required to do anything with it, and the time spent to test and verify this nonsense with the carrier, who probably also wants nothing to do with it."

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Spotify probably pays them to not include an FM tuner app

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Nah, if nobody uses wired headphones anymore, it makes no sense including FM radio functionality. My phone has a tuner, but even so I just use internet broadcasts it I want to listen to the radio, it's easier than messing with wires.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Most people still do use wired headphones.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
From what I have found online, wireless headphones / earphones had a 3/4 share of the market in 2021, and it's going to be even more lopsided in their favor today.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I only went to wireless because iPhone made me. I vastly prefer wired headphones. Though I do like my noise-cancelling earbuds.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Just one data point, but I would absolutely love it if my phone had an FM tuner. I have a good data plan now so it doesn't really matter as much, but still, it's the principle of the thing.

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
...oh where could that fish be?...
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Nah, if nobody uses wired headphones anymore, it makes no sense including FM radio functionality. My phone has a tuner, but even so I just use internet broadcasts it I want to listen to the radio, it's easier than messing with wires.

Actually FM on smartphones and FM internet is becoming a big thing in places like India and Africa. Digital FM radio can actually be used to send files and images. The data rate is low but it has a bunch of advantages over cellular telephone networks: it is easier to get coverage, the cost can be lowered, and because it is broadcast it is not bandwidth limited. There are some projects in Africa that are looking to use FM to broadcast textbooks and lesson plans directly to cheap smartphones in classrooms in remote areas for instance (and there is a whole class of cheap smartphones available in these areas that we just don't get in Europe and North America).

I work in the field right now and North America in particular is actually way behind the curve on what you can do with digital broadcast radio and smartphones (and in broadcast radio in general).

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's been a thing since the dumbphone days, it works. Not always reliably but wires is wires, apparently.

I had a similar thought when I figured out how the passthru device I use to get the internet working in my room is since it's too far for our crappy wi-fi. I plug one into the power outlet and plug it into the modem, and another one into another outlet and plug that into the computer, and it somehow uses the house's power grid as an extension cord. It feels Orky.

Ethernet over power / Powerline - it’s been a thing for a number of years now and seems pretty established. Orky as gently caress to be fair.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Let’s see if anyone else remembers this. I used to live in Portland and listened to 105.1 The Buzz during the commute. I seem to recall that in 2012 or so, there were lots of radio ads suggesting you could listen to the radio on your phone.

When I looked into it, it was actually advertising using the FM receiver on phones that supported it, not an app or anything. I had an iPhone, so I promptly stopped looking into it further, but back then, it must have been a large enough market segment to try to program ads for?

Either that or it was a desperate ploy for relevancy from whatever radio conglomerate owned the station!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A_Bluenoser posted:

Actually FM on smartphones and FM internet is becoming a big thing in places like India and Africa. Digital FM radio can actually be used to send files and images. The data rate is low but it has a bunch of advantages over cellular telephone networks: it is easier to get coverage, the cost can be lowered, and because it is broadcast it is not bandwidth limited. There are some projects in Africa that are looking to use FM to broadcast textbooks and lesson plans directly to cheap smartphones in classrooms in remote areas for instance (and there is a whole class of cheap smartphones available in these areas that we just don't get in Europe and North America).

I work in the field right now and North America in particular is actually way behind the curve on what you can do with digital broadcast radio and smartphones (and in broadcast radio in general).

So is that basically like a more advanced teletext? Neat

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh, that's fun. I forgot my phones had an FM tuner app, I always disable everything that looks like I won't need it when I first get a phone. I figured that was just for live streaming over data, not an actual radio tuner. Pretty neat.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Huh, my phone has one too and it even has a recording button front and center. Not sure how that was allowed to happen in this day and age

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It is good to still have options like radio tuners and headphone jacks even if they are not as popular as they once were. I'm pretty sure that apple, samsung, google et al can afford the cost of the components and software, somehow

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
yeah supposedly over the air radio is good in some post disaster situations because cell networks are stressed during those events.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A_Bluenoser posted:

There are some projects in Africa that are looking to use FM to broadcast textbooks and lesson plans directly to cheap smartphones in classrooms in remote areas for instance

Westerners will cut all funding once they realize that this is remote learning, which is now accepted as pure evil.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

i love it when an actual expert in the field emerges from the shadows and casts Repel Fishmech

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

yeah supposedly over the air radio is good in some post disaster situations because cell networks are stressed during those events.

During the first Christchurch earthquake the FM tuner on my phone was initially my only way of getting official / authoritative information - the local cellphone towers were down or overloaded and it seemed like every physical data and voice line had snapped.

While I'm obviously a big fan of the functionality I do wonder how useful it is nowadays that far fewer people are lugging around the wired earphones/headphones needed to act as an aerial.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Even if the rack of $10 JVC earbuds at every RiteAid/CVS/Wallmart/Target/etc ceased to exist, plenty of people probably have 3.5mm aux cables or wired monitor headphones or whatever. And in a absolute emergency you should still be able to take about 6 inches of copper wire (or tightly rolled aluminum foil) and pinch one end into a U-shaped "plug" for the headphone jack, since it's just using the wire as an antenna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsPWr8lIgCA

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If it's an emergency you just get out your weather radio :confused:

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

C.M. Kruger posted:

Even if the rack of $10 JVC earbuds at every RiteAid/CVS/Wallmart/Target/etc ceased to exist, plenty of people probably have 3.5mm aux cables or wired monitor headphones or whatever. And in a absolute emergency you should still be able to take about 6 inches of copper wire (or tightly rolled aluminum foil) and pinch one end into a U-shaped "plug" for the headphone jack, since it's just using the wire as an antenna.

While I'm sure *you* could MacGyver up a solution involving a loudspeaker and a foil chocolate wrapper, I was referring to the fact that lots of us normal people have bluetooth headphones and many new phones lack a 3.5mm jack entirely.

zedprime posted:

If it's an emergency you just get out your weather radio :confused:

That's a nice idea if your earthquake is considerate enough to wait until you are safely at home with your fully stocked emergency kit. However, in most cases of a random earthquake I'd expect the average person to be carrying an inventory of 1 cell phone and 0 weather radios.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

aardwolf posted:

During the first Christchurch earthquake the FM tuner on my phone was initially my only way of getting official / authoritative information - the local cellphone towers were down or overloaded and it seemed like every physical data and voice line had snapped.

While I'm obviously a big fan of the functionality I do wonder how useful it is nowadays that far fewer people are lugging around the wired earphones/headphones needed to act as an aerial.

i went through a big wildfire in my city a few years back, and for the first couple days, cell towers were extremely spotty and most people didn't have power (on top of the huge amount of people who lost their houses). the best source of info was from local radio stations, so i can confirm that too. and we didn't have a radio at home, so we just sat in the car every couple hours and checked the radio lol.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

aardwolf posted:

That's a nice idea if your earthquake is considerate enough to wait until you are safely at home with your fully stocked emergency kit.

Maybe not physically carrying 24/7, but only a fool would have a car or motorcycle without an emergency kit tailored to the area's most likely natural disasters

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

C.M. Kruger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsPWr8lIgCA

Oh cool, I'll bookmark this video so that I can refer to it the next time there's an emergency and the cell phone networks are down.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Sentient Data posted:

Maybe not physically carrying 24/7, but only a fool would have a car or motorcycle without an emergency kit tailored to the area's most likely natural disasters

While I admit everybody in the Canterbury region was aware that minor earthquakes were a possibility, nobody knew that Christchurch sat directly on top of a previously unknown/undetected fault line. Call us foolish if you like but I think it's human nature not to see a major game-changer like that coming.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
A weather radio, medkit, emergency food/water, and basic supplies like a folding shovel and are useful regardless of where you are and should be in every car

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

aardwolf posted:

While I admit everybody in the Canterbury region was aware that minor earthquakes were a possibility, nobody knew that Christchurch sat directly on top of a previously unknown/undetected fault line. Call us foolish if you like but I think it's human nature not to see a major game-changer like that coming.

No one ever thought anything interesting could happen in Christchurch

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

My car is my emergency kit, I will use it to simply drive to wherever the emergency isn't happening.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sentient Data posted:

Yeah, a bottle of whiskey and a gun with one bullet

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, a bottle of whiskey and a gun with one bullet

I don't think the emotional natural disasters of your own personal choices count here.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Breetai posted:

Oh cool, I'll bookmark this video so that I can refer to it the next time there's an emergency and the cell phone networks are down.

it is absolutely impossible to watch the video now and construct an antenna ahead of time or from memory

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

it is absolutely impossible to watch the video now and construct an antenna ahead of time or from memory

Right. That's why they're going to bookmark it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Weird ad to see on Insta.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I would consider hiring them to clean up the corpses in my house, but the capitalization of random words and the fact that they misspelled 'lose' are making me wary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I would consider hiring them to clean up the corpses in my house, but the capitalization of random words and the fact that they misspelled 'lose' are making me wary

If they're really discreet I might consider hiring them for reasons related to this ad:

https://twitter.com/TansuYegen/status/1793045981954523464