Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

why are so many good goon birds named after food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I have a Scout update. I have been working out of town and have not been able to visit her for a few weeks. I was able to go visit her with my wife yesterday and I have some good news, Dr. McDonald thinks it is time for her to come back home.

We are happy but apprehensive about how this is going to impact our lives. Scout needs a lot of care and we're going to have to adjust our lives to deal with it.

We'll be bringing her home on Saturday.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

That is such good news. There's still a long way to go but we know you've got it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

mikerock posted:

I have a Scout update. I have been working out of town and have not been able to visit her for a few weeks. I was able to go visit her with my wife yesterday and I have some good news, Dr. McDonald thinks it is time for her to come back home.

We are happy but apprehensive about how this is going to impact our lives. Scout needs a lot of care and we're going to have to adjust our lives to deal with it.

Oh that's absolutely wonderful. It will be an adjustment, but you'll find a new rhythm with everything. At least from what I've seen locally, disabled birds are incredibly resilient and resourceful.

(I saw a finch with only one leg nubbin, and it was doing just fine in a cage with about eleven others)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

So glad to hear Scout's doing so well. Caring for her now will definitely be an adjustment, but if anyone's qualified for it, I think you guys are. You both love her so much and will obviously do anything and everything you can to continue to give her a life full of love and snacks and snuggles.

And, of course, you've also got a whole bunch of internet weirdos rooting for you. :) You've got this.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

mikerock posted:

Oh I'm so glad to hear this. Congratulations! It will be an adjustment but I hope you're clear of the woods now. I know your little family can do it!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Happy Second HatchDay, Serra. Your little feathered antics light up my life.

Here, enjoy a corncob of seed.

Now that you laid your egg, you're just going to have to deal with your cage getting cleaned tomorrow. I know you don't like change in your cage when you're laying eggs. But, birds laying eggs...their droppings are...intense.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

happy hatchday, Serra :3:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Potato Salad posted:

why are so many good goon birds named after food?

:thunk:

Also I hope yall can adjust to Scout's new needs, mikerock!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

happy hatchday Serra!!

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Happy Hatchday Serra! I hope Scallop is as well behaved as her one day (maybe apart from that nesting business).

Scallop stopped moving for a few seconds and allowed me to get a photo post step up practice. Went straight back to climbing up my arm to my shoulder afterwards.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

1) What a great crest Scallop has.

2) Happy hatch day Serra

3) Great to hear Scout is going home!

4) I've already admitted I love food names for animals. I personally am big fans of Crouton and Pesto on here. Of course, I got Pinto and soon, Peanut. I'm struggling to remember others, though? I'm sure there are others, no offense if I'm forgetting

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

There were the breakfast birds too.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Rotten Cookies posted:

I'm struggling to remember others, though? I'm sure there are others, no offense if I'm forgetting

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Taco!

I miss Taco. :(

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Happy Hatchday Serra! Please stop laying eggs, you're making Captain and Captain Sr. worry about you.

You should eat eggs instead!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

speaking of eating eggs, I posted a picture or two of terra snacking on a boiled egg as a snack and most people reacted with disgust? birds eat eggs all the time what's so weird about it?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Birds also eat birds all the time yet every instance of a bird snacking on chicken or something is treated like it's cannibalism. That's like saying we're cannibals for eating beef. There's an alternate world where birds are in charge and birds post pictures of their pet humans eating beef jerky to the horror of Bird Imgur and Bird Facebook

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Faerie Fortune posted:

speaking of eating eggs, I posted a picture or two of terra snacking on a boiled egg as a snack and most people reacted with disgust? birds eat eggs all the time what's so weird about it?

People seem to default think of all birds as essentially one species, so a macaw eating a piece of chicken? cannibalism. A budgie eating some hardboiled egg? cannibalism.

I've pointed out that that makes about as much sense as saying a person eating a steak is a cannibal, but even that doesn't seem to shift the sense that it's 'icky' somehow.

also Looloo the cockatiel was named after her favourite food, mashed potatoes, because aloo=potato in hindi.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Pinto eating some turkey yesterday.

Might've given him a taste for The Flesh, since he was eyeing up my chicken parm last night and kept going for bites

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1140777528489127937

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Chaosfeather posted:

Happy Hatchday Serra! Please stop laying eggs, you're making Captain and Captain Sr. worry about you.

You should eat eggs instead!
Serramouth lay the eggs

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Birds also eat birds all the time yet every instance of a bird snacking on chicken or something is treated like it's cannibalism. That's like saying we're cannibals for eating beef. There's an alternate world where birds are in charge and birds post pictures of their pet humans eating beef jerky to the horror of Bird Imgur and Bird Facebook
:laffo:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Plant MONSTER. posted:

That'd be Imbrb and Facebeak.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pookah posted:

People seem to default think of all birds as essentially one species, so a macaw eating a piece of chicken? cannibalism. A budgie eating some hardboiled egg? cannibalism.

I've pointed out that that makes about as much sense as saying a person eating a steak is a cannibal, but even that doesn't seem to shift the sense that it's 'icky' somehow.

also Looloo the cockatiel was named after her favourite food, mashed potatoes, because aloo=potato in hindi.

No, the perception is generally more akin to humans eating meat from another primate species, which isn't a good idea for similar reasons, iirc.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's just it, Aves is an entire class of animals, like Mammalia. A parrot eating chicken isn't analogous to a human eating chimpanzee, but that's the perception.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
pretty sure humans are genetically closer to pigs than parrots are to chickens

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

classic taxa and genetic distance don't necessarily have much to do with each other

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

classic taxa and genetic distance don't necessarily have much to do with each other

That is true but still doesn't invalidate my statement

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra has started doing something new -

Step One - Chew hole in corner of cage liner
Step Two - Spend hours rolling eggs around very badly
Step Three - Somehow magically hide one egg at a time under cage liner when nobody is looking
Step Four - Roll big calcium block over the hole in liner...to hide hole?!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Log posted:

Serra has started doing something new -

Step One - Chew hole in corner of cage liner
Step Two - Spend hours rolling eggs around very badly
Step Three - Somehow magically hide one egg at a time under cage liner when nobody is looking
Step Four - Roll big calcium block over the hole in liner...to hide hole?!

Well if the human would stop stealing them, she wouldn't HAVE to hide them :colbert:.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well if the human would stop stealing them, she wouldn't HAVE to hide them :colbert:.

I swear to God I’m either going to flood her cage with fake eggs or cover the bottom in empty, unperchable eggcrate material.

Serra is easily the smartest of the three cockatiels I’ve had.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
it's galahs IT'S GALAHS :neckbeard:

https://twitter.com/davidcsimon/status/1140864354666962944

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Yay Scout!!! I'm so happy for you sweetiebirb :) You will be so much happier at home!!!

Re: birds eating birds/eggs etc....

I've mentioned this before, but people tend to look at me like I couldn't POSSIBLY be right, and of course, sweet little chickens only eat corn and vegetables. They would never ever even THINK of eating their friends, roadkill, lizards, bugs, eggs, other birds, frogs, fish, dead people.... (okay that last is a probability cos I haven't seen them actually eating a dead person...but they have hurt me enough that if I were dead, they probably would!!) I've even seen them skulking around the slaughtering area that we had for our chickens where they would run in to grab bits of their friend that was just killed in front of them 30 seconds ago. I mean, really? They just watched their flockmate get killed...and then its all oh boy blood!!

it drives me nuts when people go all holier than thou about birds eating meat. They do in the wild!! Conures have been seen eating and nibbling on roadkill, bugs, carcasses left in trees by predators. (Funny thing is they say the same thing about deer being vegetarian only....deer have been caught eating birds and eggs and roadkill etc too!!) Keas will attack sheep and eat the bits the pull off of them still alive.

My two adore meat...I have to physically watch how much they eat cos they will eat a good half rotisserie chicken between the two of them if I let them. The only thing they don't get is my rare beef....but they get medium well etc. I've had more people tell me that it's not right for my birds to eat part of a chicken wing...and I just laugh and have to say, "Well, the vet says its good for them!"

I give them a mix of chop, sprouts, and some grains with a little meat mixed in occasionally and they will spend hours digging thru it looking for more meat. Don't even get me started on eggs! The sight of eggs in the fridge gets both of them chorusing "Yum! I like it".

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Rotten Cookies posted:

4) I've already admitted I love food names for animals. I personally am big fans of Crouton and Pesto on here. Of course, I got Pinto and soon, Peanut. I'm struggling to remember others, though? I'm sure there are others, no offense if I'm forgetting

Mochi over here.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
way more things eat meat than people think. there was video of a rabbit nibbling on deer bones circulating around the internet a while back.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Birds don't eat meat, you say? :derptiel:

Serra also goes crazy for crispy ham.

When her cage got the weekly deep cleaning treatment today, I found a crushed and half devoured egg hiding UNDER THE LINER!

Now that she knows how to hide things, it is only a matter of time until she figures out how to escape her cage.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ahhhh, guys, so I've been watching a nesting pair of crows who've settled in near the store I work at. I saw them building, I saw mom brooding, and as of yesterday there are chicks. I was fairly sure I heard babies yesterday, but today I got a glimpse of black, naked, stubbly crow babies. :kimchi:

I tried to get a picture but it's a parking lot, and a guy was trying to park where I was standing, and then the babies settled down with full tummies. One of the parents took a long look at me and I waved and said hi, which is a thing I do to crows regularly in an attempt to communicate "I am not a threat." Crows are smart, and I have faith they can understand that.

I am worried about when the babies fledge. A parking lot is not the best place for a young crow to figure out its wings. The trees they're in are bordering a fenced area that used to be a gas station, so if they stay in the fence where the trees are, they'll be fine. It's... outside where the cars are. And also the humans. Because some people hate crows.

Along that line of thought, last week the girlfriend and I went to eat some taco salads in a local park, and there was a whole bunch of crows freaking the hell out at this guy. I was worried that they were defending that particular tree because of babies, but no, we walked past that tree with no problems, and they chased that guy across the park, absolutely mobbing behaviour. I will trust the crows' judgement, because obviously that guy is a jerk who did something to them.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
You made me think of the awesome Raven video. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfsnHVaScjg

HI!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Disco Salmon posted:

I've mentioned this before, but people tend to look at me like I couldn't POSSIBLY be right, and of course, sweet little chickens only eat corn and vegetables. They would never ever even THINK of eating their friends, roadkill, lizards, bugs, eggs, other birds, frogs, fish, dead people.... (okay that last is a probability cos I haven't seen them actually eating a dead person...but they have hurt me enough that if I were dead, they probably would!!)

I have an exciting story of my chickens Back Home, Alecto and Kali. One day I was coming back from the shops and tripped over on the road and sliced my knee open, lots of drippy blood, very exciting. Once it got a bit better I started leaving it uncovered at night so it could dry out and heal up better, then put bandaids back on it when I woke up so it didn't get scratched on things or get dirts in it. One morning I went up to let the chooks out of their run into the paddock (very spoiled chickens who get 3 acres for two chickens)... Unfortunately I had forgotten to put my bandaid on and had just a nightie on so my knees were exposed. Alecto, who was the smarter of the two, started staring very intently at me, then did a VERY FAST DASH and with her horrible pointy beak bit a chunk right out of my mangled knee! I even saw the chunk in her mouth and she swallowed it into her gullet while I very loudly made my opinion known to her.

The rest of the day, whenever she thought I wasn't looking, she would go into her long and low-down hunting pose and start sneaking closer and closer to me.

If you put a dead person in a chicken run they would get eaten, and if you fell unconscious in there they would probably at least take your eyes out.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I am a vegetarian but chickens are ABSOLUTELY omnivores who actively hunt and will definitely eat their own friends and eggs if they feel hungry enough. I have seen plenty of "vegetarian" bird species in the wild eating meat that has been cooked by a human (rainbow lorikeets are known for their love of barbeques) or eating stuff that is already dead, including roadkill and stuff killed by cats or dogs. Most herbivorous animals are just mostly herbivorous, coming from a long line of critters that have evolved stomachs and teeth or beaks good for digesting plant matter; however, if the meat is slow enough and doesn't pose an active danger to them, they will definitely have a taste and quite likely enjoy it. A kangaroo or lorikeet fed only meat would probably develop health problems, but a little nibble here and there is quite natural and doing them no harm.

e: and as for eating other birds, birds do that all the time. Hawks and other raptors love to eat smaller birds and will catch them out of the sky to eat them. Crows will eat eggs and nestlings of other species if they think they can get away with it, and so will maggies and butcher birds. Kookaburras will actively kill smaller birds to get their eggs and nestlings. Whenever a kookaburra appears in the postcode, all the other birds will freak out and start ganging up on it to drive it away with a fury rivalled only by that reserved for driving away goannas. I don't think it's true but I have heard from many sources that kookaburras lay one girl egg, one boy egg, and one extra - if they have a good season, egg #3 gets to grow up and become a kookaburra. If it's a dry season, egg or baby #3 gets eaten by #1 and #2.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

A kangaroo or lorikeet fed only meat would probably develop health problems, but a little nibble here and there is quite natural and doing them no harm.

I'm quite similar, but with Skittles and Sugar Free Energy Drinks. :downs: