Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
5. UZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

5. WXZ

Proper worship of El is an important precondition to being allowed to trade with Zepath IMO. It's a good soft power lever and hopefully we can scare them straight with a stern warning.

If they don't get the hint then we need to do more but this is a good start.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 14, 2024

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
1: A. Sure, a bear.

2. G. lol no.

3. Kb We can offer you an artist, but nothing more.

4: N and you are all banned forever.

5. WXZa, at least until you promise to stop this nonsense.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Does hammer-chan have any thoughts about the usefulness of star charts for forging? IIRC our forge had special windows for star light

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Also, for context, as a reminder...

quote:

You know from others that many strange sects and cults have been popping up in the Donut in recent decades and many of them, probably most have nothing to do with Nusku or the Bnaimokt, rather they are people adopting... strange ideas based on the strange times they live in. Most are nominally still worshipers of El, albeit deviant ones, however many of what you might call “Melachim Cults”, even if they would probably not call themselves that, appear to be popping up completely independently of each other. The presence of deviant religious beliefs in Heres is not all that strange, heck The Protectorate has some pretty strangely deviant religious beliefs and they appear to be El worshipers?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

5. WZX

Part of inducting yourself into Kadovelian culture is a rejection of Melachim worship, sorry buds just how it goes El is Great

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

DCBomB posted:

Does hammer-chan have any thoughts about the usefulness of star charts for forging? IIRC our forge had special windows for star light
You account for the light of specific stars and the moon and other astronomical factors in using your forge, you even set up special shafts and holes and skylights, but Every-Strike has not explained any of the reason or theory involved, just the countless Hyper-Specific adjustments you need to make. Sometimes, more and more as he teaches you, you feel like you can intuit what Hyper-Specific adjustments you need to make even if your waking mind does not understand?

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Diogines posted:

You account for the light of specific stars and the moon and other astronomical factors in using your forge, you even set up special shafts and holes and skylights, but Every-Strike has not explained any of the reason or theory involved, just the countless Hyper-Specific adjustments you need to make. Sometimes, more and more as he teaches you, you feel like you can intuit what Hyper-Specific adjustments you need to make even if your waking mind does not understand?

So anything this guy would give us wrt star stuff wouldn't really help. Gotcha

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

DCBomB posted:

So anything this guy would give us wrt star stuff wouldn't really help. Gotcha

Not just that, but I guarantee Puabi has vastly more information for us that is much more readily accessible.

Bob Tuskins
Jul 27, 2007

I couldn't imagine life without the beautiful sight of the green horde
WYZa

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
U

I'm all for cultural hegomony'ing these guys. Keep them close and let them see first-hand how much better we are. Give em the Dor treatment.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

We thought this clear but don't want to take any assumptions for granted.

If you call them a bunch of heretics and don't any of them into the city, they may not be interested in good relations with you, at least not unless you scare or intimidate them? If you don't want relations with them then this is not an issue, but if you DO want to have some kind of good relationship with them, that desire may not be compatible with banning them from Zepath, at least not unless you threaten them.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
A
G
Ja
S
U

This is a soft power opportunity. Yes, over time they'll uncover some secrets from spying on us but not the big ones. Also, I don't really mind if the technology level increases a bit if at the same time we start influencing their culture through art and writing. Won't be long until they're another Acco, and that's a good thing.

Don't accuse them of heresy, they officially don't worship the Melachim and will tone it down the more they admire us.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

A
G
Ja
S
U

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
U

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

5. U-Zb

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Ask Jael about doing Zd

Seems like a bad idea. I dunno.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
1. A
2. G
3. I
4. S
5. U

What the free men of Zepath do with the citizens of this city is up to them, but uh... they're gonna be in for a weird one if they try to spread melachim worship among our *fanatically devoted militaristic war cult*.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

Question
1. Can we talk and and see if their traders will have enough awareness that they should keep their melachim worship on the down low if they trade with zepath?
2. What form of aid can we provide for the bear if we take them as a gift?
3. How does a maybe quarter of a city being slaves compare to the norm in the great cities or the donut?

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Hell yea, WojtekBright Ben

Voting to not only take him, but to initiate him into the militia as slingapult ammo carrier

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Polgas posted:

1. Can we talk and and see if their traders will have enough awareness that they should keep their melachim worship on the down low if they trade with zepath?
They don't seem to think it is an issue at all? They don't seem to think they are hiding something shameful, it is just their... local color? They are not trying to hide anything and indeed are adamant they still worship El.

quote:

You know from others that many strange sects and cults have been popping up in the Donut in recent decades and many of them, probably most have nothing to do with Nusku or the Bnaimokt, rather they are people adopting... strange ideas based on the strange times they live in. Most are nominally still worshipers of El, albeit deviant ones, however many of what you might call “Melachim Cults”, even if they would probably not call themselves that, appear to be popping up completely independently of each other. The presence of deviant religious beliefs in Heres is not all that strange, heck The Protectorate has some pretty strangely deviant religious beliefs and they appear to be El worshipers?

Diogines posted:

You know that in some parts of the Doughnut the Melachim are honored more than they should be and men ask the Melachim directly for aid, something which Zepathans Have A Big Problem With, if he is not lying based on what Paebel said, that may be what is happening, but on steroids, that the Melachim are being openly worshiped alongside El, not instead of Him?

They worship the Melachim alongside El. They don't seem particularly zealous or forceful about it, that it is something YOU or others have to do? Rather, that by "showing proper honors" to the Melachim, they got some help. They seem to think that if other cities don't do it, that is their loss?

Polgas posted:

2. What form of aid can we provide for the bear if we take them as a gift?
It is a bear? You are fully capable of asking someone to take care of a bear if you like. It is apparently drunk, if you think this is a problem is up to you? You both have the ability to give the beer enough alcohol to make it happy, or the manpower to forcibly sober it up, though it may not be as friendly sober?

Polgas posted:

3. How does a maybe quarter of a city being slaves compare to the norm in the great cities or the donut?
If that is accurate, it is on the high side but not the highest. Most of the men who came are noblemen and noblemen-pretending-to-be-artists and some actual noblemen-artists, their servants and their bodyguards.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

pablo gbscobar posted:

U

I'm all for cultural hegomony'ing these guys. Keep them close and let them see first-hand how much better we are. Give em the Dor treatment.

This, because

Diogines posted:

We thought this clear but don't want to take any assumptions for granted.

If you call them a bunch of heretics and don't any of them into the city, they may not be interested in good relations with you, at least not unless you scare or intimidate them? If you don't want relations with them then this is not an issue, but if you DO want to have some kind of good relationship with them, that desire may not be compatible with banning them from Zepath, at least not unless you threaten them.

this is a foregone conclusion. It's okay to use the carrot sometimes, the stick can come later if they spit it out.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I for one don’t see a problem with the bear drinking beer.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A
G
Ja
S
U

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

U

Tell Beri the full story of Gamzal as Eliyahu told it to us, and describe to him how to reach Gamzal and where to find Eliyahu if he'd like to see the blighted rift himself or hear it directly.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

HBar posted:

U

Tell Beri the full story of Gamzal as Eliyahu told it to us, and describe to him how to reach Gamzal and where to find Eliyahu if he'd like to see the blighted rift himself or hear it directly.

"No, but see, they worshipped the Melachim instead of El! We don't do that! We worship El! We just like asking Melachim to do us a solid on the side, since that's what they do."

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

5. Zd Flash Your Wings, Reveal Yourself In All Of Your Glory, draw your belt-knife-sword which you have now caused to look like an even BIGGER sword and which is now VERY MUCH on fire and declare "FOOLISH MORTAL! You have raised up a false idol in a challenge to the Almighty! Repent! REPENT FOR YOUR DOOM IS AT HAND! I, THE SWORD OF SMATTAS HAVE TAKEN UNTO MY EYES YOUR INIQUITY AND THE KNOWLEDGE OF YOUR VIOLATIONS OF THE SACRED WRIT!"

The intrusive thoughts won :shrug:

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
A, G, JA, P, U

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Can everyone take a moment to search their memories from many years ago when the game first started? Enkidel gets to Zepath, sees the melachim temple, sees the temple of El. There was uncertainty about exactly what was going on.

We have the benefit of many years exploring the world and immediately condemning these people, when we accepted one of our best friends worshipping melachim for a long time, seems a bit cruel.

Let's convert them like we converted Paebel, with time and experience. Soft pushes in the right direction.

We chose to come to the donut and we're not going to find some Paragon cities that hold our exact values. Either we condemn them, or work on a long game to bring them back into the fold.

A - Fine, bear.
G No important secrets.
Ja+L - Influencing them culturally is exactly what we want. Show them what Zepath is about, let their cultural leaders disseminate this to the rest of the people in their city... But have Paebel make sure they aren't going for the important secrets.
S
U - We once fought shoulder to shoulder with melachim worshipers. Now the same ones worship El only. Let's give them the opportunity to see the right path, and not shun them. Mercy is never misplaced etc.

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

A
G
Ja+L
S
U

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Ask Pubai if these star charts would be valuable in any way, in using my abilities or otherwise

Ask Pubai about the odd things that seemed to start happening last time we took up stargazing- are these charts dangerous to me in any way?

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

For the record, I think this "envoy" is a shitheel and I wouldn't weep if he brained himself on a curiously sharp rock on the way back home. He's a slimy gently caress, he engages in "philandering" with slaves, and I can't say I'm thrilled at the idea of an alcoholic circus bear either.

I'm still going with plan Cultural Exchange, because this is the Donut, we're not going to find anybody in power that's not a dick.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Diogines posted:

Also, for context, as a reminder...

Just following up our chat from the Discord. I'm interested in the colours of the the world since despite the huge amounts of detail it seems very light on describing the actual colours worn by the various inhabitants. Are there sumptuary laws? Do certain cities have particular colours associated with them, whether by tradition, history or availability of dyes? Are there Kadmonin sweatshops flooding the Urian market with cheaply produced tunics that undercut local weavers?

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Ask the bear what he'll do if we don't give him beer

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

There are pending questions and we will get to them later tonight but wanted to start up one more vote.

6. After this vote concerning your guests from Nephtarah is resolved so you want to...

Ze. Time Skip! The Capybaras will figure out how long that will be. Expect a few years, possibly until the good situation is resolved or until Dor and Acco are ready to come or maybe just after they leave, which is what you voted on previously. Even short time skips take quite a lot of preparation so this will take a bit to prepare. Part of the time skip will include setting up "minor" actions.

Zf. Meet with the visitors from Zarethan, then do the time skip.

quote:

I. While not a formal envoy from their king, a number of terrified people have come to you from Zarethan from the northeast, even one of their priests, with stories that their king is an absolute lunatic obsessed with ensuring his people live by El's law to protect them from Kelashin and the Bnainokt and their other foes, killing people for the perceived slightest infraction. Meet with the priest or one of the others who fled to learn more.

Zg. Zf., then meet with the other envoys who wanted to meet with us. The other visitors were not as popular so we set Nephtarah as the cutoff but you could have a change of heart now if you wanted to.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Ze

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Zf

Because we ought to lean into our law nature at least once.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Zf

Yeah hear out the priest worried about sacred law enforcement, that's a whole bunch of our domains overlapping so maybe we can learn or decide something interesting compared to leaving it to autopilot. But after that definitely timeskip, gotta get things going.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Zf

Also, get some lightning practice in before the timeskip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Zf