Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OgNar posted:

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1476596727041847297

"California restaurants can continue to sell to-go cocktails with food orders for five more years."

good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

OgNar posted:

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1476596727041847297

"California restaurants can continue to sell to-go cocktails with food orders for five more years."

Nothing revolutionary here and almost all the police reform laws are weak as hell (lol "you need approval from local elected officials before placing orders for military gear" come on what mayor is actually going to get in between the cops and their new APC?) but pretty much everything listed in this article is good.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Hope those police gangs will enforce the "no police gang" rule

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Jaxyon posted:

Hope those police gangs will enforce the "no police gang" rule

Lol yeah the 20k and 30k boys , La vikings and LA birds will SUUUURELY stop being gangs from this

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lol yeah the 20k and 30k boys , La vikings and LA birds will SUUUURELY stop being gangs from this

Hopefully the sheriff who is a member of a deputy gang will do something about those deputy gangs that he denies even exist.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
surely we can rely on the cops to police themselves. it's worked so well the last 50 times we (pretended) to try it.

it's cool how you can tell the legislature only cares about police gangs because it was in the news. nothing about the prison smuggling rings, despite it being a pretty open secret lol. there's no way no elected officials heard about it.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

It’s not great actually since it won’t help bare, you can only sell them with a bona fide meal and limits them to 2 per person so no like 3-cocktail with mason jars. Also only takeout no delivery. It’s so performative it hurts.

https://sf.eater.com/2021/9/10/22666986/cocktails-to-go-legal-california

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Sydin posted:

Nothing revolutionary here and almost all the police reform laws are weak as hell (lol "you need approval from local elected officials before placing orders for military gear" come on what mayor is actually going to get in between the cops and their new APC?) but pretty much everything listed in this article is good.
One of the things that's on my list of random "bug the government" things to do is file a PRA request to get an idea of how many Destructive Devices (aka DDs) are permitted to each department/county. If you look at the report by ATF:
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/report/2021-firearms-commerce-report/download
(see PDF page 16; you'll have to rotate)

As of May 2021 there's 324,948 registered DDs in California, about equivalent to Texas's registered amount, being the highest amount in the country. The difference of course is that California's state laws concerning the permitting of DDs are much more restrictive than most other states, even taking into account population differences, in that most of the DD permit holders should be either LEAs (Law Enforcement Agencies) or Hollywood Prop Houses. I have this sneaking feeling that while one would think that most of the DD permit holders would be with the prop houses... that the share of those permits held by LEAs is much larger than one might expect.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 4, 2022

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
It’s also well density. We have geothermal and a shitload of oil/natural gas wells. Explosives are used on the regular to abandon old wells, which we have a poo poo load of.
I’m not saying you’re entirely wrong, just that there are more uses of explosives than you’d initially think.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I dunno if this means anything but Texas has a lot of oil Wells as well, and they'll run guns and so forth down those Wells as well. Well.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I’m sorry, am I misinterpreting what a “destructive device” is?
Phoneposting so I didn’t click the link

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Looks like anything that contains more than four ounces of explosives and isn't a shotgun shell or obvious sporting good.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

ATF's definition of Destructive Device (And the permitting of such), through the National Firearms Act, is restricted generally to explosives (and incendiary and poison gas) devices that are considered weapons (i.e. bombs, grenades, rockets and missiles (propelled by a certain amount of charge), mines, etc.). Commercial explosives typically don't fall under that definition unless somebody "redesigns" them in such a way as to be considered a weapon. See 26 U.S. Code § 5845 (f). Also on page 18 of the pdf.

I should have made that more clear initially. So there's a license for being able to get a DD-permitted device in the first place, and then each device (including ammunition, so if there's a grenade launcher then each grenade is a DD) requires a permit for transfer. Now... technically speaking, the less-than-lethal launchers that agencies have... like the example I gave for LAPD? It's probably registered as a DD, because 40mm launchers are (as far as I know) compatible and typically designed to be used with 40mm explosive rounds, though they paint the launcher orange or green and designate it as less than lethal. However, they could have purchased a 37mm launcher, which is exempted as a DD for use for flares and gas and other less-than-lethal methods. Maybe there's industry practical reasons they went with 40mm (Maybe the less than lethal rounds for 40mm are more available and/or cheaper), however they also may have purchased 40mm because they're compatible with standard 40mm explosive rounds.

(to be clear, 37mm rounds could be explosive, it's just they're typically not built that way in industry since most companies selling explosive grenades for launchers are selling them in 40mm, not 37mm, in the US)

I don't have the answers for that since I'm not a subject matter expert (at all, other than really putting my nose into the regulations and having a general familiarity with firearms), but it could be, again, product availability, or it could also be another aspect of the militarization of police by wanting to have more options with 40mm.

Anyhow, back to the original point: I'm kind of curious how many permits various agencies are pulling; CA DoJ would have that information since they have their own DD licensing program in addition to federal, so some of that info should be available through PRA.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Aha, many thanks for the explainer. And apologies for not clicking the link, I find reading pdfs on my phone is … counterproductive and annoying.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1478225021478842368

Owned

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone find the officer down picture

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Someone find the officer down picture

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lmao owned

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

these people should stop being so vocal about their opinion of vaccines specifically to avoid getting struck down by god

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Rainbow Knight posted:

these people should stop being so vocal about their opinion of vaccines specifically to avoid getting struck down by god

Look they can either be struck down by God for their arrogance or be struck down by an angry mob of their former supporters for their humility. It's a hard position to be in that they absolutely put themselves in and deserve absolutely no sympathy for.

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 5, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
she signed her own meal ticket when she ran for DA tbh. being a lawyer in the first place is bad enough but multiclassing into cop and again into politician basically makes your karma so negative it's a shock the average DA doesn't annihilate upon touching normal matter. may all DAs suffer similar ignoble deaths, preferably in funny circumstances

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Larry Parrish posted:

she signed her own meal ticket when she ran for DA tbh. being a lawyer in the first place is bad enough but multiclassing into cop and again into politician basically makes your karma so negative it's a shock the average DA doesn't annihilate upon touching normal matter. may all DAs suffer similar ignoble deaths, preferably in funny circumstances

but enough about the vice president

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Centrist Committee posted:

but enough about the vice president

it's still blowing my mind that she's the VP. lol. one of the most unpopular politicians in history. every time i think about her breakfast club interviews i burst out laughing. truly, the best possible example of how this state is designed to engineer psychopaths and eugenicists like some kind of demented ant farm.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Larry Parrish posted:

it's still blowing my mind that she's the VP. lol. one of the most unpopular politicians in history. every time i think about her breakfast club interviews i burst out laughing. truly, the best possible example of how this state is designed to engineer psychopaths and eugenicists like some kind of demented ant farm.

What's even funnier to me is then they tried spin her last horrible interview with him as a win: https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/587189-dems-like-what-they-saw-in-harris-charlamagne-tha-god-exchange

They literally were pretending that the audio had cut out so she wouldn't have to answer a hard question. So win, i guess?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Lmao at the article title being "Democrats like what they saw!" when every positive quote is from a paid strategist.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Lmao at the article title being "Democrats like what they saw!" when every positive quote is from a paid strategist.

Well, tbh, the party is the biggest voting block left for them. Everyone else just doesn't bother to vote anymore.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

yo we yea or nay on gavcare (the name i made up for ca universal healthcare)?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Do we have a choice? If it's not dependent on a proposition then I'm likely going to devote less mindshare to it

but if it puts the screws to amazon and uber then sign me up

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

sb hermit posted:

Do we have a choice? If it's not dependent on a proposition then I'm likely going to devote less mindshare to it

but if it puts the screws to amazon and uber then sign me up
afaik there will be on the ballot for the tax portion if it gets enough votes in both houses.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
From what I understand the state legislature can just pass UHC whenever they want but their funding plan for it relies on tax hikes that have to be put to a ballot prop.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
I wonder who the GOP candidate will be this year

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

BeAuMaN posted:

afaik there will be on the ballot for the tax portion if it gets enough votes in both houses.

I'll give it proper consideration when it gets on the ballot, then. If there's a good non-paywalled article about it, I'm all ears.

Sure would be nice to have medicare for all on a nationwide basis, though. I'm not against universal medicare, but I'd rather not have Californians pay for the idiocy and shortsightedness of other states.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

sb hermit posted:

Sure would be nice to have medicare for all on a nationwide basis, though. I'm not against universal medicare, but I'd rather not have Californians pay for the idiocy and shortsightedness of other states.

I'd be for a multi-state healthcare plan, with oregon (who red counties would be THRILLED at the ideal) and washington. Are states allowed to go into contractual agreements for something like this? Probably showing my ignorance on what state to state commerce can be contractually enforced.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

sb hermit posted:

I'll give it proper consideration when it gets on the ballot, then. If there's a good non-paywalled article about it, I'm all ears.

I mean your choices are going to be either California makes its own universal health plan or a bunch of people don't get healthcare. A federal UHC program isn't happening in our lifetimes. Leadership in both parties start frothing at the mouth and screaming about communism at the mere suggestion.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
The state has a large budget surplus, we have a federal administration with a Health and Human Services Secretary who has supported his support for single payer healthcare in the past, and we're still in a pandemic. If a universal healthcare system can't pass now in California, then we're hosed in the near-term future.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
There’s not going to be anyone left to work in it though. What is Newsom doing right now about the impending collapse of hospitals?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In a vaccum universal California healthcare sounds good but I'm pretty sure it's going to end up never actually happening and we'll blame the 2 Republicans in the legislature for it even though there was 80 Democrats from SF and LA voting no or some poo poo. Or they'll put the funding to a plebiscite and then just pretend like they can't possibly use any of the bribe/retirement general fund for it

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
if universal healthcare is being considered it’s only because liberals have figured out a way to make sure the money goes anywhere other than healthcare for the working class, like the state’s constitutional mandate to fund education, environmental sustainability, or any of the other myriad commitments to common prosperity that the insufferable petite bourgeois woke scolds love to suck each other off over

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Betty Yee should take the budget surplus to Lemoore and bet it all on black at the roulette table every year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CPColin posted:

Betty Yee should take the budget surplus to Lemoore and bet it all on black at the roulette table every year

honestly it would be statistically as good as trusting it to an investment fund and possibly with better return