Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
When I was in Mexico City pre COVID my Ubers around Roma Norte, Polanco, Centro, and Condesa were like $5-$8 each, it was amazing, tho I felt like a gluttonous American jet setting from one spot to the next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I take public transit everywhere else, but I've never stepped foot inside cdmx public transit. Traffic isn't super bad there for whatever reason. I think also because cdmx is so spread out, going from one side of the city to the other is like three transfers/half a day

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Yeah definitely Uber from the airport because it's so cheap. Bopping around on the metro is really fun (and ridiculously cheap) with the exceptions of:
-recent addition of video ads with sound on some of the lines
-rush hour sardining/long lines
-no AC

Rush hour definitely can be a mess in an Uber if you're on the other side of the city though.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

8 days in colombia. is medellin and surrounding area enough or should I try to fit in bogota?

anyone ever rent a dirtbike and solo-travel or with one of the many motorcycle tours that operate out of both cities? they're tempting

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

8 days in Colombia, does that include travel days? No?

My wife was getting bored by day 4 in Medellin. And there's a lot to see in Bogota. If you live somewhere cold you might enjoy 4-5 days in Medellin, otherwise I'd do 4 and 4 in Bogota

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Hadlock posted:

8 days in Colombia, does that include travel days? No?

My wife was getting bored by day 4 in Medellin. And there's a lot to see in Bogota. If you live somewhere cold you might enjoy 4-5 days in Medellin, otherwise I'd do 4 and 4 in Bogota

i live somewhere hot and am specifically avoiding cartagena lol. bogota's weather is more enticing than medellin's but i'm open to either, it's just that jardin seems fun. i figured it'll be ten days total so flight and acclimating is factored in. i guess a flight between the two cities is the best option but it seems like a lot of hassle

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Do not drive between bogota and medellin. Take the $100, 45 minute flight.

Speaking as someone who personally spent the night on a bus due to a mudslide that took out the "highway" (it's not a highway) between the two. Which apparently is a weekly if not daily occurrence. And I missed my flight home.

The only downside to the medellin main airport is that medelin is a giant valley, but there's no room for a proper international airport, so they built the airport in the next big valley over, which, even with the world's ~12th longest tunnel, is still 45 minutes from downtown, There is a tiny commuter jet airport in the city center but almost no flights occur there, and if they do they're $mega expensive

Yeah if you have 10 days total definitely check out bogota for some of it. Zaiquipa or whatever has a huge salt mine that's a real trip to visit

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

i say swears online posted:

8 days in colombia. is medellin and surrounding area enough or should I try to fit in bogota?

Depends on what you mean by the surrounding area; there's definitely a lot to see in the Zona Cafetera for example - Salento, Cocora Valley, Jardin, etc. 8 days for Medellin plus that would be great.

Otherwise if you prefer big cities, there's a lot to do in Bogota, imho it is underrated compared to Medellin. I would suggest however to do some research beforehand, because it is not as easy to navigate.

Hadlock posted:

Do not drive between bogota and medellin. Take the $100, 45 minute flight.

Speaking as someone who personally spent the night on a bus due to a mudslide that took out the "highway" (it's not a highway) between the two. Which apparently is a weekly if not daily occurrence. And I missed my flight home.

The only downside to the medellin main airport is that medelin is a giant valley, but there's no room for a proper international airport, so they built the airport in the next big valley over, which, even with the world's ~12th longest tunnel, is still 45 minutes from downtown, There is a tiny commuter jet airport in the city center but almost no flights occur there, and if they do they're $mega expensive

Yeah if you have 10 days total definitely check out bogota for some of it. Zaiquipa or whatever has a huge salt mine that's a real trip to visit

For what it's worth, both Clic and Satena operate regular flights between Medellin's small airport (code EOH) and Bogota for decent prices, you can check on Google Flights. Does San German Express still exist?
However I recall it being rather complicated to book the flight from outside Colombia, might need to use a VPN or contact the airline directly.

Chikimiki fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 3, 2024

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

i say swears online posted:

i live somewhere hot and am specifically avoiding cartagena lol. bogota's weather is more enticing than medellin's but i'm open to either, it's just that jardin seems fun. i figured it'll be ten days total so flight and acclimating is factored in. i guess a flight between the two cities is the best option but it seems like a lot of hassle

There's definitely a lot to do in the capital, but you could 100% find 8 days' worth just in Medellin. As Hadlock mentioned Zipaquira is an underground salt mine that was carved/converted into a cathedral. If you do end up in Bogota it's around an hour's drive outside the city and it's absolutely incredible.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Isn't technically Central America, but pretty close, and I didn't want to start my own thread on this:

Family and I are going to Cozumel in a couple weeks. We're wanting to go to the San Gervasio Archeological Site with a tour guide. Because we have young kids, we don't want a several-hour, around-the-island tour where the site is just one stop, we only want the ruins. However, all I can find online are 5+ hour tours that visit the ruins, and a beach, and a tequila bar, etc. etc.

Anyone have any tips or ideas about visiting only the ruins with a tour guide? As near as I can tell the ruins don't even have their own website. Right now the plan is to just ask the hotel concierge when we get there but I'm a nervous neddy and like to have things locked down and prepared ahead of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Speaking of Colombia, I might be going to the Zona Cafetera in late Aug/early Sep and was wondering what the mosquito situation is like. Theoretically some time in Periera, Salento, and maybe staying at an eco-resort and visiting the hot springs. I am a huge mosquito magnet and want to know what to expect.