Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I just randomly remembered that Southpaw Regional Wrestling season 3 was supposed to be a thing. Did we ever get anything other than a trailer out of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nipponophile posted:

I just randomly remembered that Southpaw Regional Wrestling season 3 was supposed to be a thing. Did we ever get anything other than a trailer out of that?

WWE fired 75% of the cast so it became a bit awks to put it out

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I’m sure the WALTER vs other guy match is good but it’s in a promotion I don’t care about featuring two guys I don’t care about.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Seams posted:

I’m sure the WALTER vs other guy match is good but it’s in a promotion I don’t care about featuring two guys I don’t care about.

It's been 2 guys who are legitimately among the best 50 wrestlers in the world (Walter is probably top 20), it's really loving good stiff wrestling. Yeah, it'd have been better with a crowd, but they'd have wrestled the same match in Japan or Germany or America & it loving rules.

I haven't followed NXT UK at all, I haven't seen a Walter match in a year, I haven't seen Ilja in even longer, but none of that matters. Ilja is short & he's the underdog. Walter is taller & bigger & the champion & so he's the big bully. Ilja makes up for the size difference by just throwing himself at Walter as hard as he can, sometimes to his own detriment. The highest praise I can give it is that it wouldn't have looked out of place in the G1. Of the upsettingly large number of hours of wrestling I have seen in 2020 this match is almost certainly top 10.

I dunno if I can sell it any harder than this but I'm not being hyperbolic when I call it a must watch match. That it happened in perhaps the single least important wrestling promotion in the world & still felt huge is to its credit.

The other thing I want to say while it's fresh in my mind is that Nigel on commentary was great.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Seams posted:

You should care about Ilja Dragunov, he's ridiculous

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Seams posted:

Cool

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Stop bullying me into watching excellent wrestling

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

forkboy84 posted:

The other thing I want to say while it's fresh in my mind is that Nigel on commentary was great.

Oh yeah Nigel's great, I am actually legitimately surprised they didn't have him keep doing NXT commentary since until Barret's return it was a one-man booth with the other two doing remote commentary anyway.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

JOHN CENA posted:

imagine if kota and zsj signed back in 2016. lmao. just jesus christ ha ha

Instead of Drake Maverick recreating the Yetayyy and Shockmaster, Kota would be recreating the WCW classic Lost in Cleveland but he’d be shoot lost.

bartok
May 10, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

It's been 2 guys who are legitimately among the best 50 wrestlers in the world (Walter is probably top 20), it's really loving good stiff wrestling. Yeah, it'd have been better with a crowd, but they'd have wrestled the same match in Japan or Germany or America & it loving rules.

Any other promotion I would immediately seek out that match but WWE being WWE I won't.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

:ussr:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

bartok posted:

Any other promotion I would immediately seek out that match but WWE being WWE I won't.

Goes without saying do not give the WWE a penny. For example you go to well known highly respect Chinese website BiliBili & type the name of the 2 wrestlers into the search bar. I'd link it but IDK what the forum policy is on linking a WWE match hosted elsewhere as opposed to Japanese & Mexican stuff.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

this man lost his phone during speaking out. rip to his phone

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

There is nothing in that Smackdown recap that sounds like it was well written or even halfway competent

The Roman/Jey stuff in particular makes no sense, and I have a tiny amount of sympathy to the performers for having to turn this garbage into something.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Could the New Day be considered the top baby faces on RAW?

Also, I hope that Jeys turn to Roman is explained either online or next week in that Roman gave Jey tips on how he could beat Bryan. Anything yo explain this change in character.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

TV Zombie posted:

Could the New Day be considered the top baby faces on RAW?

Also, I hope that Jeys turn to Roman is explained either online or next week in that Roman gave Jey tips on how he could beat Bryan. Anything yo explain this change in character.

jey turned bc roman is the big dog and this is his yard

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

shiksa posted:

jey turned bc roman is the big dog and this is his yard

no he's the tribal chief at the head of the table now

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Procrastinator posted:

no he's the tribal chief at the head of the table now

sorry my mistake

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Knock knock

Who's there

Slapjack

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

With Aaliyah running into protect buddy and jimmy running in to protect jey I want every match to end with a relative of someone covering someone else to protect them

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Seams posted:

bartok posted:

I never watched a second of NXT UK, never watched a second of WALTER and never watched a second of Dragunov before this match. Watch it. You won't regret it. Just find a :filez: version of it so you're not giving WWE any money, it's not hard.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Never understood following the thread of a promotion you don't watch and hate.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shinjobi posted:

Knock knock

Who's there

Slapjack

Slapjack who?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Quantum of Phallus posted:

So you can mock and deride it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Rarity posted:

Slapjack who?

Slapjack T-Bar Reckonning.

Also, Mace.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rarity posted:

Slapjack who?

Slapjack makes me think of Flapjacks, which are delicious IMO

MJeff posted:

So you can mock and deride it.

Yeah true.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

personally i follow it to see what's happening to the handful of wrestlers i miss watching, from back when i could tolerate watching the shows

it's half hope that they can get something good to happen to them for once and half seeing if they might be on their way to bailing and potentially ending up in a place i can more justify watching them

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hahaha no but seriously who's Slapjack?

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

never understood why there are TRUMP threads for people who don't plan on voting for him

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JUNGLE BOY posted:

never understood why there are TRUMP threads for people who don't plan on voting for him

:gottem:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
like, when I started watching WWE for real it was back in 2014 with the shield vs wyatts at elimination chamber (after years of following botchamania, VGCW, and miscellaneous other wrestlebits). I enjoyed it, but even then I kept watching people like Cesaro do things and going 'wow I can't wait for him to really get a run for it' and being hilariously disappointed. it took me like a year and a half before I felt burnt out on wwe in general, and if aew hadn't started i probably wouldn't be watching wrestling today

if they do decide to give the people i used to watch and still respect some time and space i might watch again, but so far it just isn't happening. but i spend the tiny bit of effort reading this thread in hopes that something gets going well, again

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dragunov giving WALTER these Germans is crazy

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its considerably more difficult as a wrestling fan to ignore WWE than it is to ignore Impact or PWG or ROH. They employee a massive number of talents who many of us have followed for years and they take up a massive amount of the landscape. Half the reason I follow the WWE and NXT threads is to stay up on which talents I love that I'll basically never see again because they've been signed by WWE and will now compete for X amount of time with everyone else in matches and bookings I don't care to watch.

There's also the practical reality that there's tons of reasons to follow WWE news that have nothing to do with its on air product or use of talent. You know what they are. You either care about them or you don't but it shouldn't be a mystery why some wrestling fans do even if they don't really care what happened on this week's RAW.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Rarity posted:

Hahaha no but seriously who's Slapjack?

my brother

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dragunov giving WALTER these Germans is crazy

That match was so good. Just absolutely brutal. Everyone needs to watch it, yeah.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WALTER headbutting his chest when they're both giving eachother chokeholds was so cool

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I liked the bit where Dragunov got beheaded with a lariat then hung from the neck until he was dead. Shame his career had to end like that but that’s art for you.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

yea i just watched walter and dragunov and wow that all looked very painful and the hits were so dang loud

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think having UK guys announce it is way better, it makes it seem more real or something. Anything but Cole or Graves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

WALTER/Dragunov was absolutely a banger. thanks for the recommendation everyone!