Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If I didn't have a thing for watching certain shows as soon as they air, I would gladly ditch my cable subscription. Breaking Bad's over. 24's over. Dexter's over (and wasn't any good for the last few seasons anyway). Mad Men's almost over. Just gotta wait for a few more shows to end and then I'd be perfectly fine with not having cable.

Then I'd have to buy the Seinfeld complete series box set to get my rerun fix, although I should probably do that even though I have cable.

Cable boy, what have they done to my cable boy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

The only thing besides Mad Men that I still watch on tv is SPORTS, but there are enough HD streams of every single game of every single SPORTS online that I should probably just upgrade my internet service and drop cable. Heck, going to a SPORTS bar to watch all my SPORTS is probably more enjoyable and more cost effective than having cable at this point.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.
Confirmed, Pom Poko features "raccoons" with magic testicles who can transform into poo poo and whatnot.

It's also a good little movie.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey nerds I'm dickstreaming Dredd tomorrow night.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Cable boy, what have they done to my cable boy?
Shot context:

Literally The Worst posted:

Hey nerds I'm dickstreaming Dredd tomorrow night.
I'm in :getin:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

It is really cool that my cable company is in dispute with Viacom and I can't watch The Daily Show or Colbert

Both those shows stream on comedy central's website, I watch them at work the next day.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
What time is the Dickstream tomorrow night, PST/EST?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I want to like Dredd so much more than I do, but Lena Headey's voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me because I'm partially deaf. No matter how high I crank up the volume, she sounds to me like Simon from Frisky Dingo.

I have an advisee this year who talks like that, and I feel this constant temptation to scream, "SPEAK THE gently caress UP!!!" :argh:

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
There are tanuki statues all over the place here. They all have balls. I live in some sort of a ball city.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Sheldrake posted:

There are tanuki statues all over the place here. They all have balls. I live in some sort of a ball city.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CloseFriend posted:

I want to like Dredd so much more than I do, but Lena Headey's voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me because I'm partially deaf. No matter how high I crank up the volume, she sounds to me like Simon from Frisky Dingo.

I have an advisee this year who talks like that, and I feel this constant temptation to scream, "SPEAK THE gently caress UP!!!" :argh:
Subtitles, dawg. You should enable them on any movie you watch at home anyway, even if you aren't partially deaf. There are so many lines of dialogue that you potentially miss by not having subtitles on. My high school Fine Arts teacher turned on the subtitles when we watched movies for his class, and ever since, I almost always enable subtitles when I watch movies outside of a theater.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gonz posted:

What time is the Dickstream tomorrow night, PST/EST?

My balls O'clock, Taint standard time (8 EST, I'll probably watch a mixtape of some kind and play some toku poo poo or something before Dredd and kill time, I'll be tweeting what I'm watching as we go)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So based on trailers I've seen in the past couple days, it seems like Interstellar and Inherent Vice are gonna be competing for Prettiest Movie Of 2014.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Anybody played Shadow of Mordor yet?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/1/6881161/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-torture-terrorism

Also:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Mordor seems greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat, it's one of those cases where the mechanics and systems in place transcend the material and narrative, I'm not sure if it even is a licensed product from the films since it's not called Lord of the Rings. But they do use a lot of Peter Jackson's imagery.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That was Nev. I read about that story a few weeks ago.

Apparently he was a huge douchebag who did a lot of bad poo poo before he kind of mellowed out. He was a drug dealer too.

I take those stories with a grain of salt, usually a dude gets a friend with a dime bag and suddendly he's known as everyone's "guy". As for punching a girl, well it's kinda hard to imagine a broken telephone scenario about it, plus given how catfish turned out a mean spirited thing...

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 2, 2014

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hey bozos, I'm watching 2 movies today.

My options are:
The Town That Dreaded Sundown
The Sacrament
The Pact
Lawrence of Arabia (will require a little more effort to set up)
Skyfall

I've seen Skyfall but it's loving gorgeous so I want to watch it again at some point. I haven't seen any of the others. I'd like to watch at least one horror movie today. What should I watch?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Pact is pretty cool but I am obligated to mention that the short is way better and more unique.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's my day off and I'm going to spend it building plastic robots in my underwear while I watch season six of Parks and Rec, aka the best show.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love everything about Parks and Rec.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

There's so many little things they do to make it feel like Pawnee is actually a place people live and work, reusing the same extras for town meetings, slowly building up sets as the show goes on with trinkets from earlier in the show, characters having a handful of outfits that they mix and match, that's stuff I really get off on and it hits the right spot for me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

There's so many little things they do to make it feel like Pawnee is actually a place people live and work, reusing the same extras for town meetings, slowly building up sets as the show goes on with trinkets from earlier in the show, characters having a handful of outfits that they mix and match, that's stuff I really get off on and it hits the right spot for me.

I stopped watching when Rob Lowe and Rashida Jones left. I thought everything leading up to it wasn't very good and Rob Lowe was my favorite part of the show.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Hey bozos, I'm watching 2 movies today.

My options are:
The Town That Dreaded Sundown
The Sacrament
The Pact
Lawrence of Arabia (will require a little more effort to set up)
Skyfall

I've seen Skyfall but it's loving gorgeous so I want to watch it again at some point. I haven't seen any of the others. I'd like to watch at least one horror movie today. What should I watch?

Lawrence of Arabia is the only one of those I've seen aside from Skyfall, but its one of the greatest films ever made, so go with that one.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Today I learned more than I ever wanted to know about raccoon testes.

Tanuki testes. Whatever.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Honest Thief posted:

I take those stories with a grain of salt, usually a dude gets a friend with a dime bag and suddendly he's known as everyone's "guy". As for punching a girl, well it's kinda hard to imagine a broken telephone scenario about it, plus given how catfish turned out a mean spirited thing...

Besides, everyone on Sarah Lawrance campus seemed to seel drugs in come capacity or another. It's just that kind of place.

I will say, I did definitely hear about some dude punching a girl at one of the dances before he was a person with a few movies and a TV show. I never had a reason to conenct that incident in my mind with the person making this stuff, it's just weird to have a story come back with the added note that the guy now has a TV show and made and enjoyable movie or two.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CelticPredator posted:

Leslie Knope is the person I want to be in this world.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's really cool how she went from a pretty dull Michael Scottish clone, to an actual, likable interesting character. She's one of my favorites.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Having rewatched the whole of P&R's season six, it holds up a bit better on a binge-watch than it did week-to-week. It doesn't hurt that the finale breezily addresses some of the problems people had with the season's latter half (e.g. the Leslie Knope Yet-Another-Pregnancy-Storyline).

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 2, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey shut the hell up it just went up on Netflix.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I would, but sports :negative:

Maybe the Ball/Hockeystreams guys will do a football thing soon and then you're free and clear. Unless you like baseball or something

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Hey shut the hell up it just went up on Netflix.

Bleck, sorry. Spoilered.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There were some weird choices in season 1 of P&R, like how the camera kept cutting to these blank shots of rooms and hallways with nothing but ambient audio:

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A ranking of David Fincher's films reveals that David Fincher is loving dope. (also, how awesome is Zodiac?)

Supercar Gautier posted:

There were some weird choices in season 1 of P&R, like how the camera kept cutting to these blank shots of rooms and hallways with nothing but ambient audio:

I hold no ill will against the actor here, and he clearly knew when to cut and run, but has there been a more boring, lame, unneeded character than Mark Brendana-quit-z? And to be replaced by not just Rob Lowe, but Adam Scott too? Poor guy.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Supercar Gautier posted:

I knew Jim Halpert, sir, and you are no Jim Halpert.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vargo posted:

I knew Jim Halpert, sir, and you are no Jim Halpert.

Is anyone else completely incapable of seeing John Krazinski as anything other than Jim? I literally had to Google his first name because I knew his real name wasn't Jim, but I couldn't remember what it was.

Even in that lovely Dolphin Tale ripoff, all I can think is "what are you doing in the North Pole, Jim? Go back to Scranton".

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I stopped watching Parcs & Rec the season when the two towns merged, because for some reason the sight of Leslie being a sort of Sisyphus figure trying to do good for the ungrateful people of Pawnee for the 10th time wasn't funny anymore. Is the season up in Netflix better in that regard?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Vincent posted:

I stopped watching Parcs & Rec the season when the two towns merged, because for some reason the sight of Leslie being a sort of Sisyphus figure trying to do good for the ungrateful people of Pawnee for the 10th time wasn't funny anymore. Is the season up in Netflix better in that regard?

That's the same season.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Yoshifan823 posted:

Is anyone else completely incapable of seeing John Krazinski as anything other than Jim? I literally had to Google his first name because I knew his real name wasn't Jim, but I couldn't remember what it was.

Even in that lovely Dolphin Tale ripoff, all I can think is "what are you doing in the North Pole, Jim? Go back to Scranton".

John Krasinski has not done anything noteworthy other than be Jim and the voice on the esurance commercials.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Hewlett posted:

That's the same season.
Ah, ok.
I can't find any of the Thin Man sequels for a decent price here, and the first one was so good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

As someone who works with the public, I watch this video constantly and it never gets any less funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng_-HgRfGBY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just got a ticket to see Interstellar in 70mm IMAX the Tuesday before it comes out. Nolan, don't fail me now.

• Locked thread