Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

Or he just hasn't named her because he does that SO loving OFTEN

Of the many baffling things he does, this is one of the most baffling.

Like, on an armchair psychologist (and I legit am a psychologist sitting in an armchair) level I understand why it happens. However, once again, I must ask how someone who considers himself a professional writer could spend twenty years writing and so consistently gently caress something up as "name your plot-relevant characters."

The gently caress, dude??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Of the many baffling things he does, this is one of the most baffling.

Like, on an armchair psychologist (and I legit am a psychologist sitting in an armchair) level I understand why it happens. However, once again, I must ask how someone who considers himself a professional writer could spend twenty years writing and so consistently gently caress something up as "name your plot-relevant characters."

The gently caress, dude??

Also it's almost entirely women. We know the names of all the gormless Balebeard -ordis, and we knew Snout and Arudak's names, but Ink Witch was Ink Witch forever and the bog hag is but the bog hag.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

Also it's almost entirely women. We know the names of all the gormless Balebeard -ordis, and we knew Snout and Arudak's names, but Ink Witch was Ink Witch forever and the bog hag is but the bog hag.

Yeah- this pattern extends all the way back to OG Deegan. Who could forget Stunt's ladyfriend from ThE WiLd EdGe, who, after being in the comics for weeks, didn't get named until like the next to last panel she was ever featured in?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Yeah- this pattern extends all the way back to OG Deegan. Who could forget Stunt's ladyfriend from ThE WiLd EdGe, who, after being in the comics for weeks, didn't get named until like the next to last panel she was ever featured in?

Even then, Mookie didn't do it himself. Readers of the comic just started calling her Vasquez because that's what he copied the design from and he canonized it himself after it would've been useful.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I remember my reaction being "why hasn't Vasquez got a name yet?!" after nearly every comic. And getting angrier when every man was named right before they were brutally murdered.

And then there was "Bortella" who never got a name.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Anyway moving on:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I hope gordi dies

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Trapezium Dave posted:

Anyway moving on:

I've said it before, but he uses this exact same "comedic" beat over and over and over and over and over and

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Just imagine a slide whistle punctuating every final panel.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Oh hey this punchline again? Ok.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

If the secret police or whatever who has more power than dwarven nobles knows about Gordi talking about how women need to be respected or whatever, and that his own dad agrees Gordi's words are treasonous, then why the gently caress did they even approve him getting on the council? Surely there must be some other sexist Balebeard that Papa Ordi can find to replace him. Hell, if he really thought Gordi's ideas were dangerous then he should've disowned him after being told how seriously Gordi is taking his newfound feminist enlightenment.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I sure hope when we catch up to the present it's captioned "The Fewest Years Ago"

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

amigolupus posted:

If the secret police or whatever who has more power than dwarven nobles knows about Gordi talking about how women need to be respected or whatever, and that his own dad agrees Gordi's words are treasonous, then why the gently caress did they even approve him getting on the council? Surely there must be some other sexist Balebeard that Papa Ordi can find to replace him.
Maybe there isn't. We timeskipped right past Ragna getting on the council so Gordi wasn't involved with that, and the implication is she got in ahead because Gordi is considered the absolute bottom of the Balebeard barrel.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
HE DID IT AGAIN

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Besides that, lol at the new law being called "Gordi's Law"

First panel makes it look like the stairs are a mile high, much shorter in the second. I like the blank white flags, v creative

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

rudecyrus posted:

I like the blank white flags, v creative
They hold the council inauguration on laundry day.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Trapezium Dave posted:

They hold the council inauguration on laundry day.

When folded properly, the flag becomes one of those weird crotch bulge pants

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

amigolupus posted:

If the secret police or whatever who has more power than dwarven nobles knows about Gordi talking about how women need to be respected or whatever, and that his own dad agrees Gordi's words are treasonous, then why the gently caress did they even approve him getting on the council? Surely there must be some other sexist Balebeard that Papa Ordi can find to replace him. Hell, if he really thought Gordi's ideas were dangerous then he should've disowned him after being told how seriously Gordi is taking his newfound feminist enlightenment.

Mookie thinks that fascists are bound by rules and decorum.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

"there is no unrest in kadaz" we get it, you read the avatar wiki

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

rudecyrus posted:

First panel makes it look like the stairs are a mile high, much shorter in the second. I like the blank white flags, v creative

I also like how the perspective of the stairs and crowd in the first panel makes it seem like Gordi is leaning backwards for no particular reason, like a reverse Polnareff.

Jesus, LOOK at that character placement! What the hell was he thinking? Why would they be celebrating with a handshake halfway off a set of stairs?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 20, 2024

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It looks like he's literally lifting him up over the ledge.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

rudecyrus posted:

Besides that, lol at the new law being called "Gordi's Law"

Vegetable Medley-rear end name. This might honestly be one of mookie's biggest weaknesses as a writer, there's just a deep unwillingness to engage with his world, and oftentimes, his characters. Every time he sits down to write a story he writes exactly that and nothing more. It's the reason he thought that setting his dwarf story in Deeganworld was some grand epiphany: he wrote all the places that Dominic went to but didn't bother seeding them with ideas for other stories that might be told, not for the audience and not for himself, either. So while he might remember things that he wrote with intentionality (like there being an adopted Devin Deegan) anything else just fades away into the off-screen white void.

And yeah the crowd looks like dots in the first panel from the council's perspective which doesn't correspond whatsoever to the scale we see in the second panel.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There are various laws referred to as "Person's Law" around the world. They're mainly named for women and children who were assaulted and murdered, though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Calling it Gordi's Law was his aunt's plan to embarrass him by making the law poo poo and naming it after him. Which, to be fair, was very funny.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

how does he have fewer punchlines than Garfield

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Howard Beale posted:

I sure hope when we catch up to the present it's captioned "The Fewest Years Ago"

"Attoseconds ago"

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Calling it Gordi's Law was his aunt's plan to embarrass him by making the law poo poo and naming it after him. Which, to be fair, was very funny.

the weird thing about post-snout legacy is all the villains are more likable than the heroes. the fake medium, evil political aunt, those offscreen jazz racists,

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Eight-Six posted:

how does he have fewer punchlines than Garfield

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao at cubetown

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Synthbuttrange posted:

lmao at cubetown

No that’s a different webcomic

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

yeah actually they will posted:

the weird thing about post-snout legacy is all the villains are more likable than the heroes. the fake medium, evil political aunt, those offscreen jazz racists,

I mean that was the case with classic Deegan as well, and arguably even Snout's "story". It was also a common occurrence in Ctrl+Alt+Del that B^U would make the characters we were supposed to dislike more sympathetic than Ethan and friends.

"The antagonistic characters are, while not necessarily likable, more likable than the protagonists" is frankly a hallmark of bad webcomics at this point.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
The way the ‘Q: this or that? A: Yes.’ joke is phrased doesn’t make sense. Should have been ‘you’re not the first councillor with Ideas’ so that the plural would have worked for both items. he doesn’t even do the smallest most obvious edits to his first draft anymore :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

INCREMENTAL CHANGE YEAAAAH

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I like how Gordi apparently didn't have to do anything to get on the council, he literally inherited it. Even though reformers apparently 'don't last long', he didn't have to deal with any internal aristocratic politics and his father didn't do anything to prevent or delay his appointment.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Echoing what others have said about how this reads like the first draft of a story.

As it stands, there's really no reason Gordi's father should want or need his rebellious feminist son on the Council. We know the elections are all rigged, so Gordi didn't even win his place legitimately, and presumably the largest and most influential Clan has dozens of idiot failsons who could have been elevated in Gordi's place. Like, Mookie, introduce some stakes and character/worldbuilding. Your story needs them badly. Is Gordi's dad feuding with his brother, who heads up another branch of the family and has it out for them? Is he willing to ignore a certain amount of leftist idealism if Gordi will vote with him regarding trade agreements? Does he have dirt on Gordi, or think he can control him by withholding his inheritance or finances? Why? Why did they let Gordi be on the Council in the first place?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
I know it was already called "Gordi's law," but repeating it now and showing that he hasn't accomplished anything else in the multiple years since he's been appointed means that this is what, the first bill he's signed into law? What has he been doing this whole time if he's supposed to be the upstart firebrand character? Talk about incremental change.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I know it's been said a million times, but it is truly shocking how much this guy only has one joke

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Happy Landfill posted:

I know it's been said a million times, but it is truly shocking how much this guy only has one joke

I don't know what you're talking about, he's got so many! Here, let's go check out this new one! I totally trust that Mookie has this under control!

[next panel]

He's only got one joke! Mookie totally doesn't have this under control!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's like he took the criticism of Dominic always being completely in control and vindicated to an extreme, and now all his protagonists are relatably out of their comfort zone with no wits or expertise to fall back on.

"I'm responsible for this and I feel lost and overwhelmed" is a relatable feeling but part of maturing is gaining the confidence and tools to solve the problem. That moment of "I have no idea what I'm doing" is supposed to develop into "where do I start?"

Especially bizarre because Gordi and Saretha both have specialized, institutional jobs that their very present, hands-on teachers have given them absolutely no practical preparation for.

e: triply bizarre because all the Deegan brothers in Oracle for Hire are apparently expert spellcasters in their fields, but despite having an archmage and head of a massive magic college for a mother they all seem to be self taught?

Caphi fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I'm just shocked at the thought process of "I'm going to bring about real change to long standard traditions. Wait, why isn't that being met with universal praise? "

Not to mention centering the story of the female rebel returning to Kadaz around a white male dwarf after a handful of pages. The real hero of women's suffrage is a man.

I feel like Mookie wouldn't understand that MLK Jr was hated by very large percentage of white people before his death.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 20, 2024