Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

Second one is wrong: US tax is around 20 percentage points higher than what I pay now or in Country2 scenario

the US tax code is progressive on income and has all sorts of loopholes for high-earners. plus the sales (VAT) and real estate taxes here are inevitably way different than whatever Country2 is, and also vary state-to-state.

spwrozek posted:

It sounds like you ran the numbers and also don't like or really care for America. Without some real numbers, locations, and data or feels like everyone is struggling to give you advice.

yeah what spwrozek said

beefeater, you stated the position is like FAANG L8 equivalent or whatever. it's clearly a ton of money and nitpicking over headline marginal tax brackets or potential future baseline job comps is not going to decide anything for you. just pick the place you want to live and move on with life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If you're actually talking about an L8 income, or poo poo even half that, then you will live an exceedingly comfortable life virtually anywhere in America and you will have access to the best of everything including healthcare. In the top couple percentiles of income/wealth personal QOL is extremely high in America because its pay to play and you can easily pay. Very different story at the national median but at the level you mention you'd really just have very little to worry about.

But if you just don't like the vibes in America, which is fair, then money probably won't fill that void in your life. Since you're being cagey with details it's impossible to make a more detailed comparison.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 12, 2024

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How the heck do I handle this situation?

I interviewed for a large well known company and got the job or so I thought. I went through the basic HR screen, passed the tech interview and had a final round with the director. The recruiter tells me they'd like to onboard me along with a call from their HR department letting me know that re-location is included and I should start at the beginning of June. A week goes by and there's still no official offer letter. I called the recruiter, he tells me there system is down, I check and it is in fact down. He tells me it should be back up in another week, when I log in there should be an offer letter along with new hire stuff it but nothing has changed. My application is still pending.

The recruiter, who works for a separate company seems confident it's a real job offer but he hasn't reached out to me either. The wild part about all of this is that I never stopped interviewing even after the recruiter gave me the congratulatory call because I already had them scheduled and wanted to ensure that I didn't get dropped. Turns out, I've already got a job from another company with an offer that's better and an official offer letter.

What do I do? Do I just drop it completely? Unless they give me a way better offer, I really don't want it.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If they had their act together, they'd find a way to get you an offer letter that doesn't depend on one specific bit of software. Take the better offer, then decline the other offer if they ever bother to actually send it

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you're interested in the first company tell the recruiter that you have an offer letter and see if that helps them move faster.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

pmchem posted:

the US tax code is progressive on income and has all sorts of loopholes for high-earners. plus the sales (VAT) and real estate taxes here are inevitably way different than whatever Country2 is, and also vary state-to-state.

yeah what spwrozek said

beefeater, you stated the position is like FAANG L8 equivalent or whatever. it's clearly a ton of money and nitpicking over headline marginal tax brackets or potential future baseline job comps is not going to decide anything for you. just pick the place you want to live and move on with life.

Yeah fair. Again, thanks for the advice.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I'm 37.

I've had a very successful career in marketing specifically in action sports managing athletes (sponsorships) for companies all of you probably engage with.

One of those companies was GoPro, I was one of the first hires and resigned the day I vested because the writing was on the wall. Thankfully I didn't get screwed in the stock fuckery. Then Monster Energy took me and gave me a bunch of RSUs cause I did my job.

Thing is I hate marketing so much. I hated Monster even more and resisted taking a role there until they made one for me. There are no consequences at the end of the day in Marketing at a large company. No one ones what they are doing and is poing at everyone else. Long story short I did myself no favors but after seeing the fuckery that occured during GoPro's 4 year surge and what that turned people into.

tldr: I hate corporate and I was in a position to resign or take the Director promotion. I had no desire to just micromange as a middle manager so I resigned.

Took some time but I decided to tackle cybersecurity. So far I'm enjoying it. It was the path I expected to take way back in 2010 before I learned about parties in college.

I have my path figured out but I need to get a loving job and I'm getting denied for serving gigs. Knowing I made over 6 figures last year that hurts, but I knew it was gonna be a thing. What am I doing wrong? I'm sure people in my spot make the same mistake..

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Post your resume and some jobs your looking for in the resume thread. Don't say you hate corporate in an interview because a lot of the stuff you're talking about will be true in a cyber security job too.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Lockback posted:

Post your resume and some jobs your looking for in the resume thread. Don't say you hate corporate in an interview because a lot of the stuff you're talking about will be true in a cyber security job too.

Probably a good idea huh.

My careeer trajectory is very a outlier which rocked in my 20s and early 30s but reality is setting in regarding the future potentail paths. Ill take about a day for me to get everything in proper order.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Are you really that dead set on cyber security as a discipline within tech? I’m not knocking it but the actual reality of those jobs are rooting through web logs, cross referencing IP addresses, reading through crowdstrike findings, and hounding people to update their laptops. Jacking into the matrix it is not. That being said the larger problem is that cyber security is a buzzword I hear out of the mouths of a lot of college grads and they don’t really understand what it is so there’s a ton of applicants. Have you gone and gotten any certifications? That will set you apart in any tech job more than a degree. It sounds like you have some client facing chops so have you thought about project management, or analytics (specifically thinking of cloud spend optimization), or account executive / sales? Again not glamorous but way less saturated than cyber security. You could also go the engineering route of say a site reliability or DevOps engineer which is way more technical but I find much lower bar to entry provided you have the prerequisite certs and can do a little bit of coding/scripting. I will also say that the job market for tech in general is a wasteland right now so you’ll have your work cut out for you.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

96 spacejam posted:

Probably a good idea huh.

My careeer trajectory is very a outlier which rocked in my 20s and early 30s but reality is setting in regarding the future potentail paths. Ill take about a day for me to get everything in proper order.

Maybe but not that weird. I hired a guy not much younger than you a while back who had a background in bartending. He went through a boot camp, had a good portfolio, was willing to work in a fairly non glamorous role. He's getting promoted to senior dev on a key priority team this year. No one's career looks typical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Howdy thread, at a bit of a cross roads in my life and trying to decide what to do.

Have been working in pharma in analytical labwork for 13 years, in 2020 joined my current employer which is a nice place to work from a science standpoint however the corporate stuff is torturous for an autistic person. two years ago I lost the genetic lottery again and now have an auto immune disease that has left me exhausted and is destroying my joints, this has led to me dropping things like pens, phones, coffee mugs, and flasks of chemicals. Since in a few years it will likely be unsafe for me to work in a lab I am starting to ponder what I should do next. I'm looking into pharma paper pushing jobs but I honestly want to leave pharma and/or corporate if possible. I guess my question for the goons here is where do you start with a career change? I can leverage my scientific and pharmaceutical knowledge anywhere outside of those worlds?