Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nosre posted:

Enjoying the landscaping at my sister's a bit more. Like I mentioned, this was my grandparents' house for 50 years and he worked at a nursery so it's always been a plant paradise, and it's lovely to see her continue.

The giant thistle in the middle of the marigold/salvia/celosia bed is how you know you haven't sold out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

a sexual elk posted:

So I have 2 other trees on our property besides Oak and Pine and kinda curious what they are

Southern California mountains about 7200 feet up. 6b, 7a, 7b zone

Bumping this cause I cut a lot of decent sized dead branches from the second tree and thinking it’s Mesquite so saving them for firewood/smoking meats. Just wanna see what you guys think

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

My 3-4 months of direct sunlight on my outdoor space have ended again for the year sadly and my spring plantings are only hanging on still to be nice to me

What are some cool late summer/fall species for zone 7 that dont mind getting strictly indirect light?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nosre posted:

Enjoying the landscaping at my sister's a bit more. Like I mentioned, this was my grandparents' house for 50 years and he worked at a nursery so it's always been a plant paradise, and it's lovely to see her continue.
Man, I love those color blends. Your grandparents and your sister have a good eye.

Real hurthling, asters are at their best in fall, and https://www.prairienursery.com/white-woodland-aster-aster-divaricatus.html the white woodland aster thrives in shade, as does https://www.blazingstargardens.com/plants/p/shorts-aster-aster-shortii Short's Aster.

When you're planting autumn plants next spring, consider some woodland plants with striking berries. https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=caam2 Beautyberry is gorgeous, as is the subtler (the berries peek through foliage) wintergreen.

An annual to perk things up right now would be impatiens.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 27, 2023

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I've seen cosmos used as a fall flower in similar climates.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I did not know you could grow cosmos in shade.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is caladium a good choice too?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Caladium is a great choice, and they're beautiful. I'm not as wild about the pinks, but the whites glow softly in the shade.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Real hurthling! posted:

Caladiums are great but they'll probably be an annual in zone 7. IDK when your first frost is, but that will usually do them in. They can be somewhat perennial in frost-free climates. You might be able to dig them and overwinter the bulbs in your garage if you really want to.

Hosta's are the kings of shade. If you want a perennial shrub, Camellia sasanqua is hard to beat and fall blooming. There are a million varieties from dwarfs that almost act like a ground cover to 35' tall monsters.

I'm not super familiar with zone 7, but down here on the Gulf Coast, asters are great and there are a fuckton of native ones that are really pretty in late summer.

Lots of ornamental grasses/sedges don't need a ton of sun and will have neat seed heads in fall. Even nasty, weedy dogfennel looks kind of pretty in the fall.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Caladiums are great but they'll probably be an annual in zone 7. IDK when your first frost is, but that will usually do them in. They can be somewhat perennial in frost-free climates. You might be able to dig them and overwinter the bulbs in your garage if you really want to.

Hosta's are the kings of shade. If you want a perennial shrub, Camellia sasanqua is hard to beat and fall blooming. There are a million varieties from dwarfs that almost act like a ground cover to 35' tall monsters.

Camellia sasanqua is also fragrant, rare in a camellia!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Camellia sasanqua is also fragrant, rare in a camellia!
It’s also one of those flowers like hyacinths that some people think smells nice and some people think smells like bleach/cum.

I however think they smell nice.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It’s also one of those flowers like hyacinths that some people think smells nice and some people think smells like bleach/cum.

I however think they smell nice.

There are people who think hyacinths smell like cum? Monsters.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There are people who think hyacinths smell like cum? Monsters.

Usually the Bradford Pear that smells of cum. Some people think Hyacinths smell of fecal matter though.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Camelia sasanqua normally has a decent scent, but just do not smell Yuletide. That thing smells terrible.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

A red oak sapling has sprouted in my yard in the perfect spot. I would love to help it grow into a tree. It’s already almost September, but it’s Texas and it’s going to be hot for months more. Is it too late for it to survive the winter? Should I give it water every couple days?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

blue squares posted:

A red oak sapling has sprouted in my yard in the perfect spot. I would love to help it grow into a tree. It’s already almost September, but it’s Texas and it’s going to be hot for months more. Is it too late for it to survive the winter? Should I give it water every couple days?
You don't need to do anything. Trees have been successfully reproducing themselves for millions of years without your help.

There are a few things you could do to help it grow faster, however. Probably the biggest is removing competition. That means mulching around it so no grass or anything is growing within a foot or two of the trunk. If it is shaded or crowded by some shrubs you could trim them back, but some shade is actually beneficial when a tree is young. Oaks in particular have largely evolved to be a climax species that spends it's early life somewhat shaded by thee forest canopy, waiting for a hole to open up that they can fill. Saplings in full sun can dry out and burn up really easily.

If the weather gets very dry, stick a hose next to it with a pencil width of water coming out and leave it there for an hour every week or 10 days. Too much water can be worse than not enough water, and it's much better to water deeply and infrequently instead of a little water every few days-you want the tree to grow deep roots and frequent shallow watering will encourage it to grow shallow roots.

You can fertilize it in the spring if you want to, but I would wait until the tree is 2-3yrs old and trunk is 1/2" + or so in diameter and the tree is well established. If you push too much top growth with fertilizer before its had a chance to establish a good root system the tree will be much more vulnerable to drought etc.

The very best thing you can do long term is to prune it to have a good shape and structure. Again, too early for that now, wait until it's a few feet high and then trim a little bit every year.

Also, make sure what looks like a good spot now will still be a good spot in 20 years. Is it under a powerline? Close tot he house? Close to the sidewalk or driveway? Going to shade your vegetable garden? All things to consider with a large, long-lived tree like an oak.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If you have deer around, put a cage on it ASAP.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You don't need to do anything. Trees have been successfully reproducing themselves for millions of years without your help.

There are a few things you could do to help it grow faster, however. Probably the biggest is removing competition. That means mulching around it so no grass or anything is growing within a foot or two of the trunk. If it is shaded or crowded by some shrubs you could trim them back, but some shade is actually beneficial when a tree is young. Oaks in particular have largely evolved to be a climax species that spends it's early life somewhat shaded by thee forest canopy, waiting for a hole to open up that they can fill. Saplings in full sun can dry out and burn up really easily.

If the weather gets very dry, stick a hose next to it with a pencil width of water coming out and leave it there for an hour every week or 10 days. Too much water can be worse than not enough water, and it's much better to water deeply and infrequently instead of a little water every few days-you want the tree to grow deep roots and frequent shallow watering will encourage it to grow shallow roots.

You can fertilize it in the spring if you want to, but I would wait until the tree is 2-3yrs old and trunk is 1/2" + or so in diameter and the tree is well established. If you push too much top growth with fertilizer before its had a chance to establish a good root system the tree will be much more vulnerable to drought etc.

The very best thing you can do long term is to prune it to have a good shape and structure. Again, too early for that now, wait until it's a few feet high and then trim a little bit every year.

Also, make sure what looks like a good spot now will still be a good spot in 20 years. Is it under a powerline? Close tot he house? Close to the sidewalk or driveway? Going to shade your vegetable garden? All things to consider with a large, long-lived tree like an oak.

Thanks! I did think more about the fact that it'll be many, many years before its providing any kind of additional shade in the yard, so if I really want a tree there I should just buy a young tree from a nursery and save myself a few years. But while I think about it I will do as recommended re: watering and cutting the grass that is around it.

Its still only 5 inches tall or so, and just sprouted its first red leaves

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

blue squares posted:

Thanks! I did think more about the fact that it'll be many, many years before its providing any kind of additional shade in the yard, so if I really want a tree there I should just buy a young tree from a nursery and save myself a few years. But while I think about it I will do as recommended re: watering and cutting the grass that is around it.

Its still only 5 inches tall or so, and just sprouted its first red leaves
Eh, buying a tree isn't always the shortcut people imagine, especially buying a large tree. It takes larger trees much, much longer to recover from transplant shock, whereas smaller trees (and even moreso trees that sprouted naturally) recover much more quickly. An arborist told me once that you can plant a 3 gallon tree and a 10 gallon tree and in 5 year's they'll be the same size because the 3 gallon settles in and starts growing so much faster.

Post pictures of the tree-red oaks don't usually have red leaves except on brand new growth? It is a bit odd for it to just now be sprouting this late in the season. Does it already have leaves it grew in the spring and this is a 2nd flush of new growth?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I just noticed it a few days ago. It’s a very small seedling. And there is a second one that needs to go, I imagine

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

If you have deer around, put a cage on it ASAP.

Or rabbits. I would strongly recommend surrounding the trunk with a cylinder of hardware cloth up to the top of the sapling, anchored to the ground, for this winter. You can decide in the spring whether to shorten the hardware cloth. Deer will chomp the tree down to the ground, rabbits will nibble and also girdle.

For a tree that size, I'd just make a cube (open to one side) out of hardware cloth, then stake the cube to the ground on all sides.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

Petey posted:

Anyone here grow pawpaws?

I'm going to hit up a nursery this weekend and try to get some! They seem to sell out fast, though, so I might end up on a waiting list :frogbon:

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Here are some of my plants. I am in Queensland, Australia. Bingeing the thread over the last couple of days I've noticed plant similarities with Florida and Ecuador.

A wandering iris flower I just like.

Crotons I have grown from cuttings.

Various things.

Red cordyline in flower.

Overnight flower from a cactus/succulent (I saw a lot of these in the thread).

Magnolia.

Jamaican croton. I love the foliage and the deep purple flower.

A potted grevillea. These might be my favourite flower. The birds love them, the bees love them, I love them!

Frog on a ficus.

And the same fella now turned reddish-brown a couple of weeks after moving under the red leaved plant in the pic.

Thanks for looking!

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

^ Great spread! And I like your frog. I've got a decent little backyard but it's enclosed and doesn't get anything except bugs and stray cats.

Can anyone ID what this is on my Alocasia Amazonica? Sure seems like bug eggs of some sort, but it's been inside and I don't see any adults of any kind

The little welts have a bit of whitish waxy stuff on them (you can see it in place in pic 1) that wipes off easily, leaving a smooth bump underneath.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Oh my goodness how did you even notice them? I'd be inclined to scrape them off or hit 'em with some white oil.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I've got some scale I can't quite clear out nearby so I was giving everything a good check after being away for 3 weeks. The benefits of a smaller place I guess, you've got more close attention available ;)

They don't scrape off though, it's pretty solid into the leaf/stem structure. I'm almost thinking it's a normal part of the leaf getting mature (they're not on the small ones), but 1) I've had the plant a year and never noticed before 2) not seeing anything similar in online pictures

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Those are spaced too consistently to be a pest IMO. They're in the same spot by all the major vein junctures.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I just checked mine and they are all in the same spots as yours. Surely they are part of the plant.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

That wraps it then, thanks. I was weirded out since they're not very consistent between the different leaves having them or not, but plants be strange apparently.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Wonder if anyone has any ideas for this Japanese maple I have. Don't know what type, it was a volunteer from my parents' yard. It was healthy for a couple years, but this year it's been in terrible shape.

2 years ago it looked like this (far left)
https://i.imgur.com/SqeImaP.jpg

It had pretty large leaves, or at least, larger than what it seemed like last year (2nd from the right, closest to balcony edge)
https://i.imgur.com/MqBI9eX.jpg

I thought maybe its leaves were getting too scorched by the sun last year, many very small ones shriveled up and turned brown/black, but overall it still seemed ok.

Early this spring, it even created a flower blossom of sorts
https://i.imgur.com/E9nmTWV.jpg

Well, after that blossom, it was all downhill. I don't have pictures of it, but it developed something that looked like powder mildew maybe on its leaves. I tried rubbing the powder off with my fingers, which I guess was a mistake, I think I destroyed the leaves because within a week they all changed colors and fell off. The ones that hadn't yet gotten the powder were fine, but, when they eventually did, I tried spraying them with a copper soap solution from the garden center. Not sure if that really had any effect, eventually the affected leaves were turning light brown and crispy. I thought maybe I was over watering it, by giving a little bit every day (same as I do for all the other plants, they don't seem to mind), so I tried switching to a deeper but less frequent soak, still no improvement. The last month, it has maybe just 1 or 2 leaves on it at a time, but they only last for a few weeks before turning brown (although at least it lost so many leaves the powder is gone)

This sad looking thing is what it looks like today
https://i.imgur.com/WQAcIZz.jpg

The only thing giving me hope is that the bark still looks healthy on almost the whole thing, some new growth tips are blackened but I think that could be sun scorch. But, does this thing looks like it's going to survive, and leaf out next year? Is there something I should be doing for it in the fall going into winter to give it some help? I wonder how much energy it could've possibly stored missing most of its leaves for an entire year.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
In what zone are you located?

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

I'm in zone 7a. This balcony faces directly south, so it gets a lot of direct sunlight, even in winter. The siding is white, which I mention because the enhanced reflection off it usually makes the balcony at least 10 degrees warmer than the usual temperature outside. I try to have the plants arrayed in such a manner that the more sensitive ones (such as this Japanese maple and others) get into afternoon shade first. All of the plants are potted with that Miracle Gro "moisture control" mix.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Persian shield that I thought had died but came back more vibrant than ever.

Staghorn on a palm.

A dead staghorn with an air fern attached to it and draped with Spanish moss. Edit to add that there is also a tiny orchid somewhere amongst that mess.

The biggest cutting I've ever taken. A dracaena branch from a monstrous plant. Once it roots I'll put it in the ground somewhere.

huh fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 8, 2023

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I have a 2-3 year old begonia ferox that is currently recovering after losing all its leaves due to shock when I moved out of my apartment. Recently I got a grow lamp and it seems to be doing better than it ever has. It lives in a terrarium but I try to vent it every couple days so it doesn't get too moist.

There is a strange something that looks like it's growing in the soil. It's hard to capture, but it almost looks a pile of tiny soil shaped pills. I'm not sure if this is just because of all the moisture in the terrarium? Does this look like anything bad?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Kinda looks like worm poop

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
That is one sinister looking begonia! It seems very healthy, I have no idea what the things are. If I had them in my plants I wouldn't be concerned.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

Petey posted:

Anyone here grow pawpaws?

I am now, and I just got back from a pawpaw festival where I learned a lot about growing them, so I might be able to answer questions.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
I broke an inflorescence off of my Fdk. After Dark “Black Pearl”. I want to cry.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Check out this mass of bougainvillea around the corner from my parents' house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Got some ornamental cabbages for the roof garden this fall now that the sun doesnt make it passed the buildings anymore til spring.

Osaka white and osaka red.