Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm having a bit of a brainfart here; did the Villeneuve movies touch on the connection between worms and spice much at all? I remember it being a pretty big thing in the Lynch film (and the book?) when Paul finds out the worms make the spice, but for the life of me I can't recall it being addressed in the new films - maybe in passing in Paul's holographic lectures about Arrakis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's sort of implied by the drowning the worm scene, if you make the connection that the worm juice is related to spice (can't remember how fine a point the dialogue puts on that). Feels like it's not *not* canon but denis didn't have time. And well, you could fill a book with what denis doesn't have time for

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Prolonged Panorama posted:

invoke the silence on them

Always think of this as the quintessential Herbert line. It’s right in the border between the rad and the ridiculous; it can be read as effortlessly implying a swathe of cultural traits OR it could just be Ole Herbs getting a cool effect by over-using the definite article.

Riot Bimbo posted:

i'll murder the poo poo out of this thread if it becomes an ai pit!!!!!!! That close button has been sitting there, begging me to press it since before i changed my name from the one that edgelord opioid addict admin gave me!!! don't do it. i'll use the house atomics!!!

Thou shalt not make a trailer in the image of a human film.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Somebody tell the classic Star Trek thread too

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Riot Bimbo posted:

i'll murder the poo poo out of this thread if it becomes an ai pit!!!!!!! That close button has been sitting there, begging me to press it since before i changed my name from the one that edgelord opioid addict admin gave me!!! don't do it. i'll use the house atomics!!!
If Riot Bimbo destroys the thread because AI is having a negative effect on human expression then I will create a much shittier thread about fighting killer robots.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

After my week of re-reading the first four Dune books: God dammit I love God-Emperor SO MUCH. I love that book the way gentle Hwi loves Leto II, completely and totally.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
You read Dune 1-4 in a week? Are you incarcerated?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I am a fast reader and it's been a slow week at work.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mad Hamish posted:

I am a fast reader and it's been a slow week at work.

same but I've only made it to page 100 of the first book. I'm hybrid though so I only read when I'm at work, at home I just play emulated game boy and PS2 games

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
"There's another goon I want you to note in passing - a basic hitler. She posted more than 800 pages. Pretty good for those days."

"Posted... by her threadshitters?" Stilgar asked.

"Yes"

"Not very impressive statistics, m'Lord."

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

YoursTruly posted:

"There's another goon I want you to note in passing - a basic hitler. She posted more than 800 pages. Pretty good for those days."

"Posted... by her threadshitters?" Stilgar asked.

"Yes"

"Not very impressive statistics, m'Lord."

lmao nice

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
primary computation: i am sietchposting with dangerous speed

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

So one thing that's been bothering me is how, in God-Emperor, Idaho is constantly angry about how the Museum Fremen are unlike the 'proper' Fremen of his earlier life. Like, my dude, that was four thousand years ago and Arrakis is no longer a desert planet, I think culture might have changed a little bit and it's not the end of the world or a sign that society is sliding into degeneracy because they no longer practice perfect water-discipline. They don't need to practice it, it's no longer relevant! Oh, how terrible that the Museum Fremen no longer carry real crysknives and are proud that they have real ones in their museum! How awful that they treasure relics of their past!

Also, you know, you hung out with the OG Fremen for all of what, a month? I don't think you're qualified to dictate what 'real' Fremen society should look like!

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Mad Hamish posted:

So one thing that's been bothering me is how, in God-Emperor, Idaho is constantly angry about how the Museum Fremen are unlike the 'proper' Fremen of his earlier life. Like, my dude, that was four thousand years ago and Arrakis is no longer a desert planet, I think culture might have changed a little bit and it's not the end of the world or a sign that society is sliding into degeneracy because they no longer practice perfect water-discipline. They don't need to practice it, it's no longer relevant! Oh, how terrible that the Museum Fremen no longer carry real crysknives and are proud that they have real ones in their museum! How awful that they treasure relics of their past!

Also, you know, you hung out with the OG Fremen for all of what, a month? I don't think you're qualified to dictate what 'real' Fremen society should look like!

very strong "I've lived with these people in an RV on MTV's Road Rules for 8 weeks and now they're my best friends for life" energy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
He'd just spent all that time managing to get in with the original Fremen and now they're all gone, he's pissed he spent all that time putting up with stillsuits for nothing

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Duncan Idaho is the ultimate Gen-Xer, just horrified that these kids in the new generation have gone soft

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Mad Hamish posted:

We've all met that person

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Okay I change my mind, Duncan Idaho is the ultimate Ras-Trent

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I imagine it's kind of like visiting Sparta in the early roman imperial period. You have this group of people holding onto ways they've forgotten, larping and exaggerating tales of former glory completely trace-absent from their current incarnation. Practical, daily concerns become ritualized totems of a past unlived, exalting glories and suffering, in equal measure out of reach. And the person observing this *has* memory of the way things were, of the thing they're aping.

And it comes off as pathetic, how could it not? The dissonance, the discomfort with that display, would have to be non-zero, probably significant.

Let's not forget what it means to be fremen to that generation of Atreides!!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Riot Bimbo posted:

Seems the thread has grown beyond you now rb, the path ahead is that your actions are controlled by it, and not some other way

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

God Hole posted:

lmao I love the idea that an entire planet is just too small that everyone was becoming "too inbred"

Way pages back but I would maybe interpret this as speciation away from other planets, but this doesn't actually match with what goes on and prob doesn't matter

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Riot Bimbo posted:

I imagine it's kind of like visiting Sparta in the early roman imperial period. You have this group of people holding onto ways they've forgotten, larping and exaggerating tales of former glory completely trace-absent from their current incarnation. Practical, daily concerns become ritualized totems of a past unlived, exalting glories and suffering, in equal measure out of reach. And the person observing this *has* memory of the way things were, of the thing they're aping.

And it comes off as pathetic, how could it not? The dissonance, the discomfort with that display, would have to be non-zero, probably significant.

Let's not forget what it means to be fremen to that generation of Atreides!!

Actually yeah I'm imagining some old timey person in contact with actual vikings looking at the modern viking museum (great for children!) and I kinda get it

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Way pages back but I would maybe interpret this as speciation away from other planets, but this doesn't actually match with what goes on and prob doesn't matter

I was being glib when I used that word, but this is one of at least two parts where he thinks about how much humanity subconsciously desired interplanetary loving.

quote:

He remained silent, thinking like the seed he was, thinking with the race consciousness he had first experienced as terrible purpose. He found that he no longer could hate the Bene Gesserit or the Emperor or even the Harkonnens. They were all caught up in the need of their race to renew its scattered inheritance, to cross and mingle and infuse their bloodlines in a great new pooling of genes. And the race knew only one sure way for this—the ancient way, the tried and certain way that rolled over everything in its path: jihad.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Extremely weird & dumb like everything produced by a human being lol. I wonder sometimes if a necromancer could bring some of our posts back to him or anyone else what would he think of it all

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i"d gently caress that old man if he had a time machine

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Improbable Lobster posted:

i"d gently caress that old man if he had a time machine

What am I to do with this information?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

What am I to do with this information?

slide your hand on down there and get to typin!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The reclusive Genius Doctor Professor Chuck Tingle again delivers! on sabbatical his protagonist (reclusive genius Dr Professor Chuck Tingle) develops a method that causes the ghosts, clones, future and/or past selves of Hugo Award nominated authors and others to appear whenever the experimental "Woah-Chamber" is activated. Different personages from different time periods arrive and hang out for a while before being returned to their timeline. Because of the advanced physics involved you never quite know ahead of time who you might get when the mysterious device is, as they say, "turned on." Everyone learns valuable lessons and gets off in this sensual romp. 420/69 stars.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
finally saw 2ne and did they use the nukes to blow up the rocks to let the worms in in the book? seems like dropping the nukes on the conveniently gathered footsoldier army would be better imho. it's not like the worms seemed more discriminate.

overall 8/10 if its the final one, 9/10 if its setting up dune messiah

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Eau de MacGowan posted:

finally saw 2ne and did they use the nukes to blow up the rocks to let the worms in in the book? seems like dropping the nukes on the conveniently gathered footsoldier army would be better imho. it's not like the worms seemed more discriminate.

overall 8/10 if its the final one, 9/10 if its setting up dune messiah

In the book they explain that it's now against the rules of war or a treaty or something to use nukes as a weapon to kill your enemies, but there's technically nothing in the rulebook that says you you can't use them to move some pesky mountains out of the way.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mad Hamish posted:

One way to read this is that Idaho came from a time so stagnant, that even the gentrification of the Fremen that Leto II forces on them is over thousands of years is seen as more change than he's capable of dealing with.
It's not entirely clear what genetic properties Leto II wanted from Idaho being a stud, so I'm pretty sure Leto II just wanted someone to gently caress with.

Pneub posted:

In the book they explain that it's now against the rules of war or a treaty or something to use nukes as a weapon to kill your enemies, but there's technically nothing in the rulebook that says you you can't use them to move some pesky mountains out of the way.
I think it's more fair to say that Paul used bigger army diplomacy to argue that because he didn't use nukes on people, but on rocks, it wasn't somehow breaking The Great Convention - but it's not exactly something anyone can challenge him on.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i mean blowing open the shield wall should make other issues for life on Arrakis before terraforming, and honestly the insecurity it would create with regards to worm incursion might be worse to the spacing guild and choam than the use of atomics themselves.

but also that potential doesn't get explored and it would've been a cul de sac if they did. the psuedo-god king with the army of fanatics with bene gesserit fight training aren't taking feedback by Messiah

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I assume the first thing they do after Muad’dib takes the regency is put a big water barrier in the gap. In Children it mentions specifically that this is the case (albeit by this point there’s a lot of water barriers on Arrakis). The Shield Wall is still there, it’s not like they blew up the whole thing.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The Madhi can use a few nukes, as a treat.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Mister Speaker posted:

The Madhi can use a few nukes, as a threat.

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023

Tree Bucket posted:

The Madhi can use a few a nukes, as a threat.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
The fremen could probably just put a steady supply of thumpers leading away from the opening, or have some worm riders permanently stationed and ready for wormsign. A steady supply of rideable worms at the edge of Arrakeen could have been the beginnings of mass public transportation, making Paul popular in sietch and city.

Did they ever set up lasguns on a worm? I'm imagining a row of them firing broadside as a worm passes by some Harkonnens. I'd also like to see them get 'thopters strapped on the worms, so they could make the worms fly so they'd have desert power aircraft carriers.

Couldn't a 'thopter with a lasgun cut through any worms that are above ground? Shaddam should've just had a few patrolling after the atomics went off. Unless you can put shields on a worm.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Sietch and the City

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

YoursTruly posted:

The fremen could probably just put a steady supply of thumpers leading away from the opening, or have some worm riders permanently stationed and ready for wormsign. A steady supply of rideable worms at the edge of Arrakeen could have been the beginnings of mass public transportation, making Paul popular in sietch and city.

Did they ever set up lasguns on a worm? I'm imagining a row of them firing broadside as a worm passes by some Harkonnens. I'd also like to see them get 'thopters strapped on the worms, so they could make the worms fly so they'd have desert power aircraft carriers.

Couldn't a 'thopter with a lasgun cut through any worms that are above ground? Shaddam should've just had a few patrolling after the atomics went off. Unless you can put shields on a worm.

The worms are pretty big and hardy and do get attacked by 'thopters. However the fremen attacked during a sandstorm to motivate airpower to some degree and shield completely.

E: I think the book says worms are super hard to kill when they're big and they can really only be killed with atomics or massive electrical shocks (or water, but only the fremen know that).

Side question, how do the fremen get maker teeth? Ride them until they're tired and rip out a few?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I have Thoughts on the Spice Diver cut of Lynch's Dune. Is that better posted here or in the DUNC thread?

No Pants posted:

I was being glib when I used that word, but this is one of at least two parts where he thinks about how much humanity subconsciously desired interplanetary loving.
It's very weird how everyone takes it for granted that massive all-consuming war contributes more to genetic diversity than peaceful trade. A real "Victorian historian holding forth from an overstuffed armchair" notion.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 22, 2024