Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

I think I found your bird's human doppelganger! His cheeks are the parrot-version of General Ambrose Burnside!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Fact: Bird staches are the best staches

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Someone in the bird thread back in the day once described the cockatiel face fluffing as "busting mutton chops" which I still think is the best way to describe it.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

One of the best parts about Scout going to the vet is that she is so well behaved afterwards. Although I think I caught her masturbating with the pine-cone this morning haha

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

mikerock posted:

One of the best parts about Scout going to the vet is that she is so well behaved afterwards. Although I think I caught her masturbating with the pine-cone this morning haha

Better a pine-cone than their food dish.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

This morning, before I put in contact lenses or had my glasses, I was making the bird food bowls. Ohtori was with me, and Steve was on the other side of the counter, too far for me to see him, just a yellow blob. I assumed he was nibbling on the glass jars as he tends to do for some reason, but when I went to check a few moments later I discovered he was eating salt straight out of the salt holder. He refused water afterwards too.

I wonder if he's missing something, or if he's just being :derptiel:, as he loves saline solution as well-he got to my contact lens pot one day and he gets excited at the sight of it ever since.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Does Zupreem turn anyone else's birds' poop funny colors?

I swear every time Alexis poops it's a different color.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Yeah, any color in the food goes straight to the poops.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Man so, Iro's nails are black, and I've been a dork thinking she'd just wear them down on her perch. She hasn't, and now they're really goddamn long and they need a clipping. She can't walk on flat surfaces properly. They have got to go and I promise to never let them get that long again.
Problem is, I've been putting it off because I never needed to clip Goblin or Garrus' nails -- they seem to wear them down on their own, and I hear all this noise about birds bleeding to death by cutting the quick, and that I need some special stuff to do it.

All I need is Quickstop, right? I plan on toweling her so she doesn't see me or my hands while it's being done -- don't want her to think HANDS MEAN BAD.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah. Since Alexis' nails are also black, so you can't see where the quick is, the advice the vet gave me is:
1. Always have QuickStop (duh)
2. Use human nail trimmers instead of the cat/bird guillotine style. The "crushing" action helps make it so it doesn't bleed as much.

She said since you can't see the quick even she makes them bleed half the time, it's unavoidable.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Yeah, I basically just cut the tip off whenever it gets sharp, I don't dare to take off more than the bare minimum. :ohdear:

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Since they are like, C shaped, I think I'm going to have to cut them quite a lot. :(
Man I should've sorted this sooner. Poor little thing. I've just ordered some Quickstop.

(They aren't C shaped really, but getting that way.)

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

You could always file them, that's what I do with both of mine. I found it especially useful when their talons were long, because the quick would have grown with them-as I filed them, the quick would retract, so I didn't have to worry about cutting it via clipping. I filed to the quick once or twice with Steve, but a minimal nick rather than a potential larger cut was preferable for me. Now I've learned how much will be too much, and their nails are nice and short-Steve's don't even touch the floor anymore.

Speaking of Steve, I caught him trying to get to the salt again this morning :derptiel:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

uglynoodles posted:

Since they are like, C shaped, I think I'm going to have to cut them quite a lot. :(
Man I should've sorted this sooner. Poor little thing. I've just ordered some Quickstop.

(They aren't C shaped really, but getting that way.)

Don't worry about bleeding to death, especially with Quickstop or even flour. Remember you can make multiple clips. If you clip a bit at a time towards where you think they should be, you might get there without cutting the quick or if you do cut the quick, you'll just get the end.

Battle Pigeon posted:

You could always file them, that's what I do with both of mine. I found it especially useful when their talons were long, because the quick would have grown with them-as I filed them, the quick would retract, so I didn't have to worry about cutting it via clipping. I filed to the quick once or twice with Steve, but a minimal nick rather than a potential larger cut was preferable for me. Now I've learned how much will be too much, and their nails are nice and short-Steve's don't even touch the floor anymore.

Speaking of Steve, I caught him trying to get to the salt again this morning :derptiel:

We towel Teeka and use a Dremmel on him. Probably overkill for a smaller bird where a nail file would do fine, but our method works pretty well.

I think I've settled on my favorite bird action though: yawns. When he's sitting in my lap all fluffed up and falling asleep, a birdie yawn is just about the cutest thing in the world.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Do you ever deliberately make him yawn via the ear rubbing method? If you do it once to Steve he gets locked into yawning for a while and often gets mad about it. :3:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Battle Pigeon posted:

Do you ever deliberately make him yawn via the ear rubbing method? If you do it once to Steve he gets locked into yawning for a while and often gets mad about it. :3:

Haha no, I had no idea this was a thing. Welp, off to go torture or at least severely annoy my bird.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Apparently you can visually sex African Greys, with an accuracy of "over 95%". On the underside of their tails, feathers of the male are a solid red, but females have silver tips to theirs.

http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/appgreys.html

I didn't know about that before.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
fluff mode: engaged

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.

Stannum posted:

So fluffy! I want to reach through my screen and give scritches :3:

He's sooo soft, but unfortunately he's really squeamish about being touched :( I don't think he's happy here, and he's constantly trying to fly away. He's still a baby, though, so hopefully he'll grow out of it, but I hate the fact that he seems so miserable and jumpy all the time.

Staryberry posted:

I think I found your bird's human doppelganger! His cheeks are the parrot-version of General Ambrose Burnside!

BAH!! Also, Frasier?

This happened today:

Mom: OMG come look at this! I think Arya bit Nico, there's an injury above his beak! OMG, TWO! Two injuries!!
Me: Mom... those are his nostrils.
Mom: ... oh. :downs:

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Kenshin posted:

So fluffy, yet so coy!

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Kenshin posted:

SITREP: Striking distance of keyboard achieved. Human unawares. Will employ OPERATION QTPIE as a diversion then will attack.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
"No."

Hobo Camp posted:

He's sooo soft, but unfortunately he's really squeamish about being touched :( I don't think he's happy here, and he's constantly trying to fly away. He's still a baby, though, so hopefully he'll grow out of it, but I hate the fact that he seems so miserable and jumpy all the time.

Give it a few more weeks/months, shower him with love and I'm sure he'll come round sooner or later. :unsmith:

Kenshin posted:

Oh my god I wanna pat that fluff so bad, conure fluff is the best. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybvwh0reiMU
Also I found this video on Tumblr the other day, it's probably the most cockatiel.avi thing ever recorded. :derptiel:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I like how the tray falls off his head and he immediately tries to get back under it.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I like how the tray falls off his head and he immediately tries to get back under it.

While still singing. That was what sealed it for me. The song must go on!

shuriken
Dec 2, 2002
How about a bizarre airplane dance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zb8ZO6RLnk

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Hey everyone, paranoid bird owner question.

So every time Ritz has a bath, I tend to blow dry him unless it's sunny out.. but anyway. He's got this... thing, where hie tail meets his body. The best way I can describe it is looking like a corn kernel skin, or a garbonzo skin or something.

I always want to try to look at it but he never holds still long enough. The vet has never said anything about it so I don't think it's detrimental, but what is it?

Any ideas?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Yes, that's the wick for his preen/oil/uropygial gland! You can touch it and rub your fingertips together afterwards to feel the oil yourself.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!

Battle Pigeon posted:

You can touch it and rub your fingertips together afterwards to feel the oil yourself.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

(do it and preen your hair with it)

edit:
also
what is a bird
a JAPANESE bird
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOqLv9iIp2o

i think someone posted this bird before cuz it does the pitterpatter feet thing :3: :3: :3:

Malalol fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 22, 2013

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout getting some neck rubs which she loves. I like this pic because it shows off the blue highlights on her neck and the green over her eyes.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Battle Pigeon posted:

Yes, that's the wick for his preen/oil/uropygial gland! You can touch it and rub your fingertips together afterwards to feel the oil yourself.

Thanks, now its just a 'butt juice candle' instead of a potato flake.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Malalol posted:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

(do it and preen your hair with it)

It's just like a damp feather, not really bad. Ohtori had messed up feathers at some point and we were worried his gland wasn't working properly, so had to check it.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Thanks, now its just a 'butt juice candle' instead of a potato flake.

Going to have to remember this term.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So I've been very reluctant to post about it, but I got the new conure on Saturday. He's such a tiny little thing. He's cute and loves to cuddle.

That said, he got hurt really bad within a day of owning him and I feel like poo poo because it's directly my fault. I had a pretty large cage for him and I figured it would be perfect. When I put him in it, he seemed to enjoy it. He was climbing, flying around, and he appeared to like it. He was fine all night. I had to go out for a while in the morning and when I came back there was a bunch of blood on the floor near his cage. I looked around everywhere and found him in a corner scared to death.

Apparently, he found a way out of his cage. He flew over to Hannah's cage (our big African Grey), and, this is where I can barely type this, Hannah bit off a piece of a little toe. I put his toe in corn starch and my mom rushed over with one of those cauterization sticks. He's not bleeding anymore and appears to be fine. He's going to have to adjust to missing that part of a toe. I think he'll manage. He spent yesterday just cuddling, napping, and eating. I also got him a much smaller cage so he can adjust to stuff.

I just feel like absolute poo poo. I failed him. I checked the cage out and I was certain the cage was fine for him. Had I even remotely thought he could get out I would have used something different. I had everything set. It was going to be perfect. I broke down in tears yesterday when it happened and have that sick feeling in my stomach just thinking about it now.

Sorry PI. I'm a lovely bird owner.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

No need to apologize, if you checked it out and it was sufficient than it was sufficient, that doesn't make you a lovely bird owner. You may have underestimated the craftiness of the conure though. Either way, a lovely situation that was out of your control (you not being around) that was remedied in the best way it could have been.

He be fine, but as you said it will take some adjustment, and I'm sure he'll live a very happy, loved life in your care.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh no :( Give the little conure lots of cuddles. It's their natural fuel.

Look on the positive side: A lot worse could have happened, and now you know that you can't use that cage. It wasn't really your fault.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 22, 2013

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I'd advise a vet visit if you haven't got one planned already, but as horrible as it is, bad things happen sometimes. If you knew he could get out and did nothing, that would be one thing, but if you didn't realise then it's completely different. Do you know how he got out of the cage? Was there a gap at the bottom near the tray or something?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Here's the little guy.

Battle Pigeon posted:

I'd advise a vet visit if you haven't got one planned already, but as horrible as it is, bad things happen sometimes. If you knew he could get out and did nothing, that would be one thing, but if you didn't realise then it's completely different. Do you know how he got out of the cage? Was there a gap at the bottom near the tray or something?

I need to get him to a vet anyway as you said. The problem is there's not one around that specializes in birds. I emailed an aviary to get some recommendations. I checked the cage out before and afterwards and there was a gap in the bottom. It's very narrow and I have no idea how he squeezed out. He must have really wanted out.

Literally: He did nothing but cuddle with someone yesterday. I think his foot was definitely still hurting for most of the day. He'll figure it out. He is climbing all around his new cage and I arranged everything for easy access. He's also still flying around. He'll fly to his food, eat, and then back to me for more cuddles.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 22, 2013

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Yeah it isn't really your fault, conures are really crafty. Sunny kept escaping until we bought a padlock for his door and clothespins for the smaller doors. We used cable ties at first but he figured out how to untie them, the crafty bird.

That he's climbing around and eating and cuddling are great signs, I think he'll do just fine with one less toe. Sunny is missing a toenail as well and he seems to do conure acrobatics fine!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

You could also email any nearby zoos, wildlife rehabs, parks, etc and see what vet they would recommend. Even if there's no avian vets, they may know a good exotics vet, or just someone with experience with birds.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Oh boo, that must have been terrifying for all of you :(

On the bright side the little guy will hopefully remember that the Big Grey Bird is dangerous and should not be approached without extreme caution; our old budgie Mr. Man never copped that Pookie hated him and would kill him if she could, so any time he was out he'd try to go over to her cage and challenge her to battle.

He was a great budgie, but suicidally overconfident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I intended to clip the conure's wings yesterday but I'm going to hold off on it for a while to let his foot heal up. I can't have him flying around wherever he wants to because I know he'll get himself into trouble again.