Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Per a good vet - birds need to learn to properly fly in their first years and should get a few stretches of at least two months to learn it, if not longer. I think there is NOTHING wrong with clips, but go easy on them when the Bird is still growing and learning.

I’d also give her some time to get comfortable before letting her out. Cockatiels are scared of everything ever.

Yeah, Trev's original home they clipped him severely as a young fledgling...the vet and his rescuer J were not sure if he would be able to fly properly, if even at all. Trev is a resilient soul tho, and has managed to prove the naysayers wrong...

He will never fly gracefully...but he can Zepplin around like a special needs bumblebee with the best of them :)

We still get him lightly clipped for his safety tho since his flying (even with the feathers grown in) will never be up to snuff. But definitely, don't clip them imho till they are at least decent at flying so they have that... it's so important to their mental health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Disco Salmon posted:

Yeah, Trev's original home they clipped him severely as a young fledgling...the vet and his rescuer J were not sure if he would be able to fly properly, if even at all. Trev is a resilient soul tho, and has managed to prove the naysayers wrong...

He will never fly gracefully...but he can Zepplin around like a special needs bumblebee with the best of them :)

We still get him lightly clipped for his safety tho since his flying (even with the feathers grown in) will never be up to snuff. But definitely, don't clip them imho till they are at least decent at flying so they have that... it's so important to their mental health.

As most owners know, cockatiels are absolutely determined, strong flyers. Even fully clipped they can normally get some lift for a few seconds.

Serra, missing half her flight feathers from her night fright, now making it a few feet while flying in a semicircle. She then makes a less than graceful plop noise onto the hardwood floors.

I'm fully prepared for her to go on a diet, but she might just be a big glorious hen. She was bred by someone in Idaho who does shows, so it's not impossible that she came from some very big ladies. (Apparently, show cockatiels are bred for weight.)

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Heck yes! May I offer you a gang tag? Or any of you other recent thread additions, I might add? :)

Regarding helping your little friend adjust -- what does the thread generally think about a light clip when a bird is first brought home? I tend to think it reduces the risk of the bird hurting itself bashing into unfamiliar walls and ceilings, and since the bird will be offered gentle human assistance back to better places to sit when it does take off, a clip helps foster the idea that the big scary people might be friends, or at least benign.

I'd love a gang tag!

I was never into the wing clip idea at all but after yesterday I do wonder if it's the right thing to do, at least til he adjusts. Was awful watching him bump into things.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Caedes posted:

I'd love a gang tag!

I was never into the wing clip idea at all but after yesterday I do wonder if it's the right thing to do, at least til he adjusts. Was awful watching him bump into things.

Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with it initially. I'd just make sure he gets some proper learning time while he is young, but letting them settle in without hurting themselves is important.

I won't repeat everything, but did you see my cockatiel specific story on the last few pages about night frights? You really need to watch out about that when they are young.

Also, has your cockatiel been DNA sexed? I always ask with them because I've been fooled by all three cockatiels I've owned. Also, the ladies genuinely need a little bit of care to keep them from laying a bunch.

Serra has been next to my bed the last few nights with her cover pulled up so she can come over and see me sleeping nearby. Every time I woke up, I looked over and suddenly saw her head in the little opening, spying on me. It was cuter than cute.

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

Captain Log posted:

Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with it initially. I'd just make sure he gets some proper learning time while he is young, but letting them settle in without hurting themselves is important.

I won't repeat everything, but did you see my cockatiel specific story on the last few pages about night frights? You really need to watch out about that when they are young.

Also, has your cockatiel been DNA sexed? I always ask with them because I've been fooled by all three cockatiels I've owned. Also, the ladies genuinely need a little bit of care to keep them from laying a bunch.

Serra has been next to my bed the last few nights with her cover pulled up so she can come over and see me sleeping nearby. Every time I woke up, I looked over and suddenly saw her head in the little opening, spying on me. It was cuter than cute.

I did read the story and it sounds horrible, so glad Serra has recovered so quickly.

We covered the cage last night and were looking at getting a little night light as well. We're both light sleepers and he is in the next room so hopefully we can respond really quickly in case of frights.

Not DNA sexed, so won't be too surprised if he is actually a she.

What are people's thoughts on a cage mirror for when nobody is home? At least one of my wife and I are home for all but a few hours a day, we're leaving a radio on but just constantly worried about stressing him out no matter what we do. We're going to see if he adjusts ok but are definitely willing to get a friend if he can't adjust.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Put some patterned curtains or stickers over impassable windows early on, it'll help the bird learn the boundaries of the room. When they're learning to fly indoors yeah, they'll bump into things. Just be there and be prepared to help them back up if they fall down a corner or something.

I'd say no mirrors, I doubt they alleviate loneliness. Instead they just confuse the bird. (Might be different for greys and cockatoos.)

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

nielsm posted:

Put some patterned curtains or stickers over impassable windows early on, it'll help the bird learn the boundaries of the room. When they're learning to fly indoors yeah, they'll bump into things. Just be there and be prepared to help them back up if they fall down a corner or something.

I'd say no mirrors, I doubt they alleviate loneliness. Instead they just confuse the bird. (Might be different for greys and cockatoos.)

Patterned curtains are a good idea thanks. We've had to have them drawn since we got him because outside seems to scare him. Actually, everything seems to scare him currently. I had read that and have had family who had cockatiels in the past but I didn't realise quite how skitterish they'd be.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Mirror = Horny Bird

They are banned from the local parrot shop for confused bird horniness. Cockatiels will go into horny mating mode for absolutely no reason. A mirror? That's way more than no reasons. :derptiel:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Captain Log posted:

Mirror = Horny Bird

They are banned from the local parrot shop for confused bird horniness. Cockatiels will go into horny mating mode for absolutely no reason. A mirror? That's way more than no reasons. :derptiel:

Would you gently caress me? I’d gently caress me. :derptiel:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Take away a mirror and a horny tiel will make use of any other reflective surface, take away reflective surfaces and they'll flirt with their own shadow.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Captain Log posted:

Mirror = Horny Bird

dumb and horny and they survive in great numbers: the mascot of our age :derptiel:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Who among us ISN'T dumb, horny, and scared of everything?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I mean, my previous budgie tried to court a picture of a circle

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
We don’t put mirrors in our cages. He doesn’t seem to care much about them; I’m not prepared to say he passes the mirror test, but he definitely doesn’t think it’s another bird.

Speaking of which...you, uh, gotta a little something...all over, buddy....

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

nielsm posted:

We also take our two around and practice "taps" on all the windows, so we take our finger and tap on the window and then have them do it at each window. We have stickers as well, but I feel it helps reinforce the boundaries. Mostly :)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Tsaedje posted:

Take away a mirror and a horny tiel will make use of any other reflective surface, take away reflective surfaces and they'll flirt with their own shadow.

Serra is in an ongoing war with her shadow reflecting in a picture hung above her cage. I’m both impressed with her ability to see it and worry about her possibly flirting with it.

Will try to get a video.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My boys have a toy or two with a reflective part, but nothing that's really a full mirror.

Sera flirts with his reflection, when he catches it in a big mirror. He also loves feet. He's a big perv.

Ozzy refuses to look into mirrors. He doesn't trust strange cockatiels.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra is 100% doofus cockatiel and scared of everything, but also one of the smarter cockatiels I’ve ever met. She will turn over a cup to look underneath for a treat. If I’m not paying attention to her, she I’ll unplug my headphones. She knows she can press the home button on my pone to make the screen change. She is starting to understand touchscreens.

Then she will run away from a blanket she doesn’t like.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

A friend of mine had her old cockatiel pass away this morning so I'll be snuggling my flock extra hard today

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Still having screaming issues with Mochi. I feel like a bad pet owner but I know all his needs are met and he's just regressed to pushing limits to demand attention, but god my head hurts. Nothing works except my husband literally leaving our home and Mochi figuring there is no chance he'll get attention from him after that. I just don't know what to do.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I've been thinking about this since you posted and thought of one thing. I apologize if it's already been asked.

How is the ambient noise in the room?

Serra and the parakeets always have a tv or radio left on when one of us isn't sitting with them. When the house is silent, I can roll over in bed and suddenly have Serra screming for me. When there is ambient noise, it isn't the case.

Could it be cockatiel excitement at the premise of one of her humans being nearby?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I've tried a multitude of different ambient sounds while my partner's asleep but I'm open to suggestions. Bird noises are automatic scream. There's almost always something in when we're awake.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I do love the fuss noises because they can hear I'm awake and I'm not out of bed yet.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I am glad that our guy is so quiet at night. We are lucky enough to be able to close a door on him, but it’s right off the kitchen so it’s not super duper quiet. Even then, he basically doesn’t make a peep until the light turns on at 7:30. It’s about a 50-50 chance of small screm or clicks as I’m making coffee.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Thankfully the screm is still limited to bird's waking hours. He has figured out that bedtime (only bed, putting the covers on will not trick him) means quiet, so he will just quietly go, 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaah' in his cage which is honestly hilarious and much preferable to his flock call. We had gotten to a point where he would call nicely after us, and either call baby for me or beep beep for my husband, but over the last few months since my husband has been employed again he's just regressed. I know it will pass, and he's cranky that he used to get all day with my husband (8-9 or whatever) and now has to spend 9:30-5 on his own save for Bradbury. I moved their cages closer this weekend (but not so close Mochi can reach) in the hopes they'll distract each other a bit, but we'll see.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Based on Captain Log's posts I started turning up one corner of Nemo's cover at night so she can see out; she seems happier.

I used to think she was having nightmares in the early morning, but it turns out her "fighting with my toys" noise is the same as her "pissed off that you exist near me" noise.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Crouton and Galbedir are very good about bedtime. If it's dark it's time to sleep and if they think I'm keeping them up past their bedtime they will go back to their cage of their own accord. If I have the light on in the main area of my unit but in their little room they will go in and start making their sleepy sounds and nodding off.

When they are fairly certain I'm awake in the morning they start clanging doors and beeping to let me know it's time to let them out but they are hard to stir while it's dark. Turning the bathroom light on at night can wake them up, usually resulting in great indignation until I let them get back to sleep.

Loud noises outside don't bother them much. Usually a beep or two and they get back to sleep. Neighbours on the other side have parties every week or two but it's not on the bird window side so their darkness is not disturbed and they just sleep through it.

Cockatiels are very prone to night frights, unfortunately. I've known a few who have experienced it but never owned cockatiels myself as an adult. My uncle swears by crocheted blankets for letting in a little light but keeping it mostly dark.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I haven't had too much trouble with night frights, fortunately.

But I also use sheets to cover the cage which still let a lot of light in. I don't use top sheets on my bed, because I just kick them off in the night, so whenever someone gifts me a nice set of sheets the birds get the flat sheet and I get the fitted sheet.

scremlin
Jul 3, 2007

i've never been one to
half-ass shenanigans.

subpar anachronism posted:

I've tried a multitude of different ambient sounds while my partner's asleep but I'm open to suggestions. Bird noises are automatic scream. There's almost always something in when we're awake.

My partner works from home and he'd been having a similar issue with Tiamat lately. He decided to run our air purifier in the living room one day for unrelated reasons, but noticed the noise from it also had a positive effect on how much she was screaming. It sounds pretty similar to a white noise machine, and one of those might be worth trying if you haven't already.

bonus troublemaker:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
During the day, Serra does well with cartoons or hockey. For whatever reason, she intently stares at the TV during hockey time. At night, I keep a fan on nearby or a white noise machine. When it's dead silent, frights happen the easiest from the slightest noises.

Right now, Serra is still staying in my room. But she is getting the blackout cover on three walls of her cage, with a thin sheet on the fourth wall. It stays pulled up for her to have a window until she falls asleep. Then I cover up the window. Come morning time, I give her the little window back.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I went to buy millet and met a very lovely cinnamon conure who sat on my hand and nibbled my fingers and then took a HUGE POOP on my jacket while contriving to look as cute as possible. A staff member got me a paper towel and apologised profusely but I laughed it off because honestly bird poop is my life and also fairly inoffensive, as far as poop goes.

Ozzy is so glad to have millet again he is singing while he eats.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

scremlin posted:

My partner works from home and he'd been having a similar issue with Tiamat lately. He decided to run our air purifier in the living room one day for unrelated reasons, but noticed the noise from it also had a positive effect on how much she was screaming. It sounds pretty similar to a white noise machine, and one of those might be worth trying if you haven't already.

What a cute troublemaker. I'll try white noise tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion. He doesn't tend to take well to anything else where anyone besides him is yelling, so I'll try those when I'm home.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Nicky does better without ambient noise at night, even in a noisy neighborhood. In the day, she's honestly pretty quiet most of the time, really only making unbelievably adorable little happy beak grinding noises or little burbles or shredding toys noises. This was not the case at first, it took several years of ignoring what we knew to be non "I need something essential" tantrums to reach this point. It took a long time to be able to recognize when she really needed something and when it was a bid on moving up in the pecking order, that's just something that took learning. But it's basically always for a reason and manageable for us when Nicky throws a tantrum. Unless someone is taking a shower, then all bets are off. Nothing ends that maximum volume tantrum. Showers are scary, yo.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Subpar, I really think your feathered potato is just going through a needy bird puberty. It sucks, but it will improve. Cockatiels make pretty easy to decipher screm noises once you’ve been around them a few decades. ;) Just keep trying, you’ll find something that works and this will calm down.

Word of warning - If Serra hears a whistle (my dad watches Andy Griffith) or anything vaguely bird related, she is gonna have a holler.

Funny Serra Thing - She has gotten used to sleeping next to my bed. Her wing is still messed up enough for her to painfully squawk when preening, but she is improving.

When I let her out in the morning, she climbs to the top of the cage...waits...gauges...and hops from the top onto my bed without flapping. This is a foot or two drop. She then bounces off the mattress like the fat little thing she is and looks all smug.

Birds. :derptiel:

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Captain Log posted:

When I let her out in the morning, she climbs to the top of the cage...waits...gauges...and hops from the top onto my bed without flapping. This is a foot or two drop. She then bounces off the mattress like the fat little thing she is and looks all smug.

Birds. :derptiel:

I wanna see a video of that badly.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Tres Burritos posted:

I wanna see a video of that badly.

I’m trying. Trust me, I am trying.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I used to be able to whistle from half-way down the street, and Murphy would hear me and go nuts.

I miss that poor, dumb bird :smith:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Patrovsky posted:

I used to be able to whistle from half-way down the street, and Murphy would hear me and go nuts.

I miss that poor, dumb bird :smith:

I hear ya. Wandy had a little flock call I could hear when I got out of my car at an old place I lived. She was in the window of my third story apartment, thrilled I had come home.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Nemo mostly just looks out the window all day. I think she she's me pull in and that's what sets off the flock call. Before that, they knew the sound of my work boots the same way I knew the sound of my father's.

(He wore loafers, but never mind.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Also bird hearing is insane. Our macaw used to get excited about dad getting home from work well over a minute before his car would pull up on the drive.