Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I just moved into a new apartment and it took something like six or seven big boxes and a rolling kitchen cart to move all of my backlog. I don't know how many boxes my completed kits are in. For some reason my partner keeps referring to the big closet in the hallway as a "linen closet", but I'm going to fill it with plastic crack. :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Given how poor supply is in the UK these days someone could probably make a mint reselling their backlog here. Amazon prices on most kits are astronomical.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I feel like demand went way up during lockdown, it feels impossible to get anything that wasn't reprinted in the last couple months even in the US.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Yeah most of my sources are even out of the 1/60 FMP IV kits. Those things were... not in demand before. I just had to buy a baby blue Gernsback for chrissake

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Demand went way up, and production also went way down. I was chatting with someone who owns a hobby shop recently and they said according to the emails they get from Bandai, production was running at just 10% of their normal, soon going up to 30%. Of course I have no way to verify those numbers but it sounds plausible. :shobon:

Global shipping has been pretty hosed, too. Fewer international flights means fewer shipments of plastic crack crossing the oceans. I think GundamPlanet even mentioned some of their poo poo being delayed because of the clusterfuck with the Ever Given. Retailers that have Bluefin wholesale accounts report that even they have a sparse selection these days. Hell, the hobby shop I went to had even sold out all of their NG Wing kits that had been gathering dust. I used to work at a shop that was trying to get gunpla in stock and finding a good supplier right now is loving hard.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I'm still sad my barbatos expansion set was lost by Fedex and the replacement is on the bottom of the ocean off Hawaii I guess.

Really just waiting for it to be a lot more reasonable before I find the Thunderbolt MG kits again, they were almost reasonable at the start of this but rapidly got priced way beyond MSRP.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 7, 2021

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Stepped into the big wide world of panel lining this morning (thank god Hobby Lobby sells all the Gundam Markers I needed so I didn't have to order online) and knocked out the HG Vidar in one sitting. Glad I chose this one because man, the suit would look so weird without panel lining on a lot of its stuff, most notably its shoulder pads. Articulation is a little more limited than I would have liked without a stand because what in the gently caress how did it ever actually move its shoulders with those backpack binders lmao

Only have the HG Zeta, HG Moon, and RG Eva Unit 08 out of what I currently own left. But the HG Zeta is transformable right? ... sounds like it might be a pain in the rear end but I'm leaning towards just knocking the Zeta out, because the Moon and Unit 08 looks super fun (and I only just discovered the Moon comes with a stand!)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Vidar's on my painting bucket list.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

sassassin posted:

The Vidar's on my painting bucket list.

Oh no, it's hot...

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Just finished building my first MG kit (a Supernova Heavyarms Custom), all set to slap a gloss coat on and put waterslides on. Would be a shame if it's going to be 70%+ humidity all week, wouldn't it?

:negative:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
After a few mishaps with spray gloss lacquers I've been using a fair amount of brush-on gloss recently. Takes a few layers to build the shine but levels much better than I was expecting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I was digging through my closet and found my half finished Victory 2 Ver.Ka kit.

This is considered a "bad" Master Grade, isn't it? It's simultaneously fragile as hell and also incredibly limited in its articulation.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I built mine with the expansion and even before I added the expansion I didn't really like it.

You can't move the head. It's at least not a grenade, it's pretty solid when you put the separate parts together.

I'd get a stand for it if you can.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It did come with enough parts to build a second core fighter. I'm considering just gluing the shrapnel parts in order to keep it from falling apart. The crotch loves to split in half and the clip hinges for the joints on the arms are just the worst.

Certainly looks pretty despite the unpleasant build.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 9, 2021

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Built Machinedramon Amplified (The pic has the cannons upside down I fixed that later)

With Imperialdramon Amplified for scale

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

It did come with enough parts to build a second core fighter. I'm considering just gluing the shrapnel parts in order to keep it from falling apart. The crotch loves to split in half and the clip hinges for the joints on the arms are just the worst.

Certainly looks pretty despite the unpleasant build.

The Assault Buster expansion fixes both of those problems. Unfortunately the arms still aren't quite solid enough, as is often the problem with transforming stuff, but it is a definite improvement.

I actually bought some extra expansion packs with the intention of building a second and third V2 in different loadouts or retrofit them to the Victory but I never got around to it and they've just been sleeping in the closet until I can figure out what to do with them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been using a hobby knife to shave down nub marks on kits. If I switch to sanding sticks what grit should I be using to avoid stress marks?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've been using a hobby knife to shave down nub marks on kits. If I switch to sanding sticks what grit should I be using to avoid stress marks?

I use 800 grit then 1000 grit and maybe 1500 grit. Granted, I make my own sanding sticks with popsicle sticks so YMMV.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
So, I had taken my kids to the store to get their mom a Mother’s Day gift, and they had Char’s Zaku there. Picked it up because I have no willpower. That was a really fun kit and now I’m even more impatient to wait for my other models to get here! This is a really fun little hobby.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tanon posted:

So, I had taken my kids to the store to get their mom a Mother’s Day gift, and they had Char’s Zaku there. Picked it up because I have no willpower. That was a really fun kit and now I’m even more impatient to wait for my other models to get here! This is a really fun little hobby.

The Origin HG? Yeah that one is a really pleasant build.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

Midjack posted:

The Origin HG? Yeah that one is a really pleasant build.

It’s not the Origin one, actually. It’s this one
https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby...614763745&psc=1 . Has a cool rubberized waist piece.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I don't remember which one it was but my first kit was also an HG Char's Zaku. Highly recommended as a first kit, imo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tanon posted:

It’s not the Origin one, actually. It’s this one
https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby...614763745&psc=1 . Has a cool rubberized waist piece.

Still a solid choice!

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

Midjack posted:

Still a solid choice!

I have the Origin RX-78 (Grandpa Gundam, right?) coming. I’m super excited for it because it looks super detailed and interesting. I want to pick up some RGs and MGs at some point too. The surface detailing is really appealing to me on those higher grade models.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
test print of the nether gundam conversion came out pretty good! Except I didn't pay close enough attention to the supports, which are pretty fused together. Gonna generate my own instead of using the pre-generated ones they sent me. Also gonna bump up the print resolution cuz there's some visible fine lines

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

The RAISER kit from Gundam USA that they import is very nice, but really all you need is the glass file which you can get for maybe 30 bucks shipped.

https://www.usagundamstore.com/products/gunprimer-gate-remover-raser

The buffer and the matte/glossy finish tools are kinda nice, but the glass file i use all the time and it's magic.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

You can get way cheaper glass files if you look around, that's the one I use.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Glass files are the answer regardless of your brand choice imo

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Nthing the glass files. I haven't used anything else since I switched, unless there's some sort of line in a really tight spot that the file won't reach.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
So I sent Gundam Planet an email this morning asking if they had any updated info on the PG Unleashed remanufacture that was supposed to happen in April and they, more or less, told me this (if anyone else had also pre-ordered and was wondering when it'll show up):

quote:

As stated on the original preorder page, this item was scheduled to be an April reissue and has always been due to arrive sometime in April/May. Our distributor has told us that our full allotment is "on the water" but has not given us any additional information. We do not know which day of the month it will arrive.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

So I sent Gundam Planet an email this morning asking if they had any updated info on the PG Unleashed remanufacture that was supposed to happen in April and they, more or less, told me this (if anyone else had also pre-ordered and was wondering when it'll show up):

I'm waiting on a preorder from them too (Xi vs Penelope set), I guess it's also on that boat.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

wdarkk posted:

I'm waiting on a preorder from them too (Xi vs Penelope set), I guess it's also on that boat.

They did send me a spreadsheet with a bunch of preorders and their statuses, if you wanted to take a look at it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CIlUvXqWgsoz_MNrpkRCrn209Mbo0tgdlqQBs3YL_uk/edit#gid=0

Amp fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 10, 2021

Veotax
May 16, 2006

On the subject of the PG Unleashed, if anyone in the UK is looking to pick one up Gundam Mad has some in stock now

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Ah, I see I am not alone in bothering Gundam Planet over the Unleashed.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

Ah, I see I am not alone in bothering Gundam Planet over the Unleashed.

Very much so, apparently:
https://twitter.com/GundamPlanet/status/1391842389115949058?s=19

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I highly recommend the little LBX kits if you're in need of parts for much of anything.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's literally just a Hanomag with legs.

It's cute.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Built the SDBB Exia and gave it a mediocre-but-relaxing-to-do paintjob. Gundam markers are so nice when I just wanna do some lil color corrections and chill instead of making it into a whole Thing

Before markers:

After markers:

not perfect, but it looks good enough on the shelf with the rest of the SD Crew thus far

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

wdarkk posted:

You can get way cheaper glass files if you look around, that's the one I use.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Glass files are the answer regardless of your brand choice imo

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Nthing the glass files. I haven't used anything else since I switched, unless there's some sort of line in a really tight spot that the file won't reach.

Glass nail files are good, but I think I might have found something better. At least that's what I am using now after my partner recommended it to me.

I think they are called nail buffer or polisher blocks. Basically marsh mellow like blocks with different grits which you can apply really well to the more rounded parts of the models.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=nail+buffers&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If anyone is after the P-Bandai Extreme Gundam Type-Leos, The Hanger Bay on eBay has ONE left. They should have them on the 22nd, and ship by the 26th.

(I've got a standing order that just missed the first batch, and they've been quite excellent with communication about when this batch would be and my order in general)