Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: BAGS FLY AT NOON)
Are you a rad suburban dad
No im a city slicker
yes i am a rad suburban dad
goku
Derpies Tuglord
View Results

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

My lawn is a hellscape right now.

I got moles last summer, and they are back already in full force. I tried to use one of those mole traps last year, and it didn't catch a single one. I moved it every few days to what looked like a newer "mole trail" but it never worked, idk why. It was the "scissor" style that a bunch of reviews/YT clips recommended and said worked like gangbusters. I don't want to use poison, cause I feel like a quick, instant, death is better than hours or days of agony, but idk well else to do? Maybe pay a company, but what would they do if not just MORE poison?

And to add to it, I've been suffering from terrible heel pain from bursitis and tendonitis. Started last year, off an on and make lawn mowing/general landscaping hell some days. I have surgery in three days, so I'll then be out of the count for ANY lawn-related activities for weeks. Lawn is already getting overgrown (in the areas not dead form the moles...) so I gotta mow it tonight. Or find some neighborhood kid and pay them to mow it? Do kids still mow lawns for money anymore?

Get yourself a bucket of Molescram and be absolutely vigilant about following the instructions and it will work. Cayenne pepper and castor oil to drive the moles right off your property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

devmd01 posted:

Grilled some nice medium-medium rare burgs for dinner.

Excuse me what the gently caress.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
birria tacos > french dip

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The French dip vs the Reuben is a tough choice however the dip is missing sauerkraut which is a premier dad ingredient.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Kramered into this thread at the right time: The Reuben is an S-tier sandwich, all other sandwiches bow to the Reuben.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Mister Speaker posted:

Kramered into this thread at the right time: The Reuben is an S-tier sandwich, all other sandwiches bow to the Reuben.

With a large snappy pickle on the side it is S+

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm about to go buy some corned beef god dammit.

Should I get the point or the flat? I just want a Reuben.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Flat for Reubens

E: now that I think on it some, the point is better for shredding therefore probably better for sandwiches. Better make both just to be sure.

BAGS FLY AT NOON fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 15, 2024

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

To save time just buy a can of corned beef hash and slice it up

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 15, 2024

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Smugworth posted:

To save time just buy a can of corned beef hash and slice it up

mods

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
I mean, let's all admit that Montreal Smoked Meat sandwiches are the best.

A Reuben is great, don't get me wrong, but we're talking a 9.8 for a MSM, 9.7 for a clubhouse, and 9.6 for a Reuben.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
Real talk:

My kid is very likely Autistic. We're going to get a proper assessment, but the evidence is definitely there. They're definitely high functioning, so it's not that bad really.

I'm struggling with it. Mostly with my ability to give them the support they need. Mostly their behaviours related to it just push all my buttons. Lack of social awareness, they just cannot understand when others are having a conversation and just constantly interrupt. They have no self awareness, their pants ride low with their butt hanging out but they just don't care, and kids are making fun of them at school for it, but they aren't even aware they are being made fun of.

The big one is that they still wet the bed, so they're still in pull ups (pediatrician isn't worried, says it's normal) but I'm starting to think they just don't care about being in their own piss. They regularly overflow their pull up, even if we force them to go to the bathroom regularly, and I think it's because they don't want to be inconvenienced to stop what they're doing to go pee. They've often wet the bed gotten up to get their iPad in the morning, and then get back into their wet bed like nothing is wrong. It's gross, their room constantly smells like piss, and we are constantly doing laundry to clean up the mess.

An Autism diagnosis will definitely explain a lot of these behaviours, which is fine. Even up to this point I've tried not to blame them for these things as them being just a kid who's not learned things yet. But even with a diagnosis, I still find all this poo poo so frustrating.

It's certainly something that is an issue with me that I need to overcome (I've struggled with depression/anxiety which I'm on meds for) but gently caress me it just feels daunting right now to be a good dad about it and not just be angry with them all the time for (in my eyes) dumb poo poo they should know better about by now.

So, I'm in my head about it a lot right now. I thought knowing they're autistic would help explain things and take some of the stress out of it, but it's kinda the opposite. I find myself looking at the little things I didn't notice before and getting frustrated about them. Which isn't good for anyone.

They've opened up to my partner a lot more, they've confessed to trying to contain their compulsion to move, fidget, and physically express themselves. Which is good, I'm glad they feel comfortable about opening up. Since then, they've been expressing themselves more, which must feel so liberating for them. But instead of being happy with their new freedom, and being understanding, I just see more things to get frustrated over, and my stress levels just keep going up.

So, yeah, I really need to start working on myself to be a better dad to my kid. I hate that I just constantly feel frustrated around them rather than being supportive. They're a good kid, and a happy kid, and I don't want to ruin that or make them resent me later for not being there for them or being angry with them all the time.

Anyway. I just needed to air this out somewhere. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I pissed the bed until I was like 10 or 12 and got medication :shrug:

Good luck op

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

We have a 10 year-old in the family that pees themself. They have ADHD and will wet themselves if they are a hyperfocused on something else, or even just playing with other kids. "I didn't want to stop playing and go" is the excuse given. Even a wrist alarm would not work.

Hang in there Dad, we've alllllllll been there and are here for you.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yah man my 9yo is in pull-ups still at night because apparently she doesn’t poop enough and the turds are pressing on her bladder or something. Taking her for an ultrasound tomorrow at the same place she got ultrasounded while in the womb!

Also my son is hella annoying with an obsession with windows xp for some reason. He can tell me more details about operating systems that were around years before he was born than I recall from actually using them.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It was a cold and rainy yesterday, so I took the kids to the local coffee shop to get hot chocolate and do homework once I picked them up from school. We of course got mommy’s favorite to go and timed it to be as fresh as possible.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nice move

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

My first racks of ribs on my new Pit Boss pellet smoker and I burned the gently caress out of them. Can’t trust the recipes on the app.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Shoulda stuck with trusty ol charcoal and wood

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Smugworth posted:

Shoulda stuck with trusty ol charcoal and wood

I couldn’t work my wood smoker from work via my phone. 21st century, cuzzie.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
My Masterbuilt 800 GRAVITY SERIES was delivered the other day. Still in the box in the garage, waiting for a fine sunny day to put ‘er together.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Just built a ring toss game using small traffic cones for my kids' school fair next month.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Just built a ring toss game using small traffic cones for my kids' school fair next month.

Hopefully you rigged it so the kids can’t win to give them the real carny experience.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

priznat posted:

Also my son is hella annoying with an obsession with windows xp for some reason. He can tell me more details about operating systems that were around years before he was born than I recall from actually using them.

Your kid loving rules.

Speaking of diapers and piss and so on, our 3 yo's carseat smells a bit funky. She's wet in it on occasion and we've always popped the cloth bits and chucked it in the washer, but it's still got a weird funk to it. Not piss or spoiled food, but a funk regardless. The other weekend I got tired of the car smelling weird after it had been sitting and detailed the entire thing for the first time in an age and also took her seat out and vacuumed the structure of it, wiped it down, took a knife to all the stuck food gunk that had worked into the cracks, vacuumed again, and wiped it down again.

It still smells funky. I want to go run it in a more intense wash cycle but you have to be pretty precious with it due to the chemicals and so forth they use to keep it fire retardant. Any suggestions? Febreze the hell out of it?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yah his obsession is usually pretty entertaining most of the time most recently he was just going on at length mimicking the different windows startup sounds over the years and I have no idea where he finds this. I guess probably YouTube channels on ancient operating systems.

“And then windows xp sounded like this: bee boo boo bee boooo”

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Warbird posted:

Your kid loving rules.

Speaking of diapers and piss and so on, our 3 yo's carseat smells a bit funky. She's wet in it on occasion and we've always popped the cloth bits and chucked it in the washer, but it's still got a weird funk to it. Not piss or spoiled food, but a funk regardless. The other weekend I got tired of the car smelling weird after it had been sitting and detailed the entire thing for the first time in an age and also took her seat out and vacuumed the structure of it, wiped it down, took a knife to all the stuck food gunk that had worked into the cracks, vacuumed again, and wiped it down again.

It still smells funky. I want to go run it in a more intense wash cycle but you have to be pretty precious with it due to the chemicals and so forth they use to keep it fire retardant. Any suggestions? Febreze the hell out of it?

Is bleach OK? Cause that will get rid of stubborn smells like kids vomit on a bath mat.

Edit just assuming it isn’t maybe white vinegar would be ok

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Warbird posted:

Your kid loving rules.

Get an ozone treatment for your car, and leave the seat in it while it's done? Sometimes machines are available for rent, or a detailing place will do it for you.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It’s not quite to that point but I’ll keep it in mind.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Next door neighbors are moving soon out of state. Last night when we came home from track practice, I saw they had their wheelbarrow out on the curb with a “free” sign.

It’s in a ton better shape than mine, so I marched it right into the backyard, swapped the “free” sign they made to mine, and put it out on the curb.

Beer Gay So What
Apr 20, 2023

THEY MADE THE BEER GAY AND THATS OK

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

My Masterbuilt 800 GRAVITY SERIES was delivered the other day. Still in the box in the garage, waiting for a fine sunny day to put ‘er together.

I wish I had gotten my 1050 not pre built because i dont think they did a great job and I am already having some issues with the sensors, but man the things so convenient and easy to use once its fired up and goin.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Taking my kids to great wolf lodge in a few weeks on a gift my FiL got for us.

(none of this is new information to him)

Our nephew is trans and hates his body so will not be going near any pools.

Our son is on the spectrum and is afraid of any water he cannot stand above.

My partner has gained a lot of weight in the past few years and hates wearing swimsuits.

Thanks bud, this is going to a great vacation!

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

take me you ANIMAL posted:

My partner has gained a lot of weight in the past few years and hates wearing swimsuits.

Looks from the pictures like y’all can play skee ball and do yoga with a dude in a wolf fursuit.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Magi quest is pretty fun, do that.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

take me you ANIMAL posted:

I feel your FiL's sense of denial and unawareness all the way from there.

What city are you going to? The one in Niagara Falls has lots of other stuff around that the kids should like.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Big rad dad weekend coming up, any cookout plans?

Probably no grilling for me, I’m taking my daughter to the Indy 500 for the first time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Indy 500 would be cool to go to. I remember when the Indy races were in downtown here and man you could hear that shits everywhere. All the grumpuses in the towers around it kept trying to get it shut down.

Unrelated I got an invite in my mailbox to join the neighbourhood edition of Nextdoor or whatever. I assume this is yet another data harvesting site populated by toxic busybodies so nah.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Beer Gay So What posted:

I wish I had gotten my 1050 not pre built because i dont think they did a great job and I am already having some issues with the sensors, but man the things so convenient and easy to use once its fired up and goin.

The weather’s been poo poo and I’ve had work travel so mine is still sitting unbuilt. The manual says approximately an hour and 45 minutes to assemble which means at least 4 hours in real time. Looks like seasoning takes a couple hours too so a full day event.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What car scents are you rad dad’s using in your cars?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

What car scents are you rad dad’s using in your cars?

mildew
stanky nutz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I figured out why my first racks of ribs burned so I closed the “flame broiler” on the Pit Boss and made a successful second smoke. This weekend I once again try to make a moist and delicious brisket. Let the brining commence today for Sunday.