Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

It lives!

Was that fuel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That was R718 in a R134a system, whoops

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Krakkles posted:

It lives!

Was that fuel?

Unintentional tribute to the (non) resident Unterseeboot Kommandant: A/C Compressor Edition

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

That was R718 in a R134a system, whoops

Had to google, :lol:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

It runs! Kinda!

Last attempt was all about trying to make fueling somewhat functional. We started by yanking the rail, which was shockingly simple (to Kastein). Still have no idea what the hell is in the fuel rail (and also on/in the injectors, yay!) Past Michael decided to put one of the 4 injectors from the old car that aren't visibly totally hosed somewhere super safe, so never finding that again). Picked one of the plugged up ones and cleaned it out as best as possible.

Then, turn key on, no gas, fuel pump isn't turning on. Did a bunch of backprobing and poo poo (Kastein can poast more about that), discovered that the fuel pump "does" turn on when we send direct power, but wasn't sending fuel. We decided to be somewhat smart at that point and check the onlines, and discovered that my recollection of the pump cycling at key on was totally incorrect and it only activates when starting/running. Anyway, still not getting fuel. We decided it was most likely that the pump was shot or plugged, so we did the smart thing and yanked out the pump (Kastien helpfully destroyed the feed line while removing). And discovered that the tank was almost bone-dry with the exception of a tiny bit of what appeared to be almost, but not entirely, unlike a combustible fluid.

This was like 21:45, so we were all "fuckit, let's run to the closest Fred Meyer and pick up a gas can like 30 seconds before they close and get some gas in there".

Get back, put some good fuel in there to really agitate and get that varnish really ready get sucked directly through the fuel system, then we did some test starts to verify fuel was pumping, then we installed the 3 unknown and the 1 absolutely bad fuel injector in and buttoned the fuel system back up. Had to pull the line from the donor car to replace the torn one.

Car won't start. Did some more digging, discovered that the 2GA system has a different firing order from the 2GB, and we had the 95 ECU installed and were using the 97 firing order. I'd installed the 97 harness to go with the 97 engine, so we swapped over the 97 ecu.

Tried again, and got what you all saw in the video.

I'm pretty sure that injector is probably still plugged up, so I took 4 injectors down to a shop today to get them tested/cleaned/balanced. Unfortunately they're closed on weekends so I'm not getting those til Monday.

Decided I didn't want to have a weekend of stuff getting blown directly in to the fuel rail, so went back home and did this:

(It's just set on there, actually mounting the hood is almost certainly a two person job)

Once the injectors are back I'll get that buttoned back up, install the new plugs and wires I've got, probably cut off the belt to the A/C compressor so it stops firing R718 everywhere, and then see if it idles properly. Once it's idling it'll be time to sort the clutch pedal, then can start changing out fluids and make sure the drivetrain functions, then make sure the brakes are sorted, get radiator reinstalled, timing belt, etc.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You mean the part where we spent like an hour chasing our tails trying to figure out the fuel pump wiring for no goddamn reason because it was fine*, which was mostly because SOMEONE who claims to know how wiring works was looking at the NA section of the wiring diagrams not the turbo section since he's not used to cars made with engines from 2 different continents in the same year that use totally different ECUs and pinouts, so absolutely none of the fuel pump relay control wiring made a lick of sense.

And then it was all a total waste of time because it turns out somehow the old fuel evaporated out instead of turning into evil slime in the tank and all we actually had to do in the first place was pour some gas in it. Who knew?

Still annoys me that they used a fuel line without a free turning flare fitting on both ends, that hose didn't deserve to die and if they'd spent another nickel on fabricating it OR I'd been slightly less of a bull in a china shop it wouldn't have. Oh well. At least the parts car still had a good one on it.

I also still want to know how the ???mud wasp nest??? And ???fungus?!?!?! Ended up INSIDE THE FUEL RAIL. That was an unwelcome surprise. How.

Oh btw, it turns out my allData has only the most absolutely useless wiring "diagrams" for the airbag system so I think we're on our own for getting that figured out. Half of them appear to be conceptual drawings from a patent or possibly a conference room whiteboard with absolutely zero color codes or pin numbers or really anything of use and the other ones look to have been fed through about 8 fax machines and a mimeograph and are nearly completely illegible. I think we're going to need to swap the main dash harness find a pirated 95 manual and compare pinouts and functionality before deciding whether we're going to splice a harness plug and swap the sensor, or splice a harness plug and swap the ACU.

*I know what's wrong with it, it ain't got no gas in it!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Pretty sure that was a wasp nest, they love tiny little cozy spaces here's one laying some eggs in building a tiny little mud tube in a tiny hole in a concrete wall.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

AFR step aside, it is 2024 and we measure air to bees ratio now

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kastein posted:

I think we're going to need to swap the main dash harness find a pirated 95 manual and compare pinouts and functionality before deciding whether we're going to splice a harness plug and swap the sensor, or splice a harness plug and swap the ACU.

*I know what's wrong with it, it ain't got no gas in it!

Given the big "DO NOT DROP THIS" writing on that module and the fact it was in, you know, a loving major collision, it might be best to assume that sensor is not the ideal one to hack in to the car and I should maybe just buy another one.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You know, that's a very good point. From the diagrams it looks like they're the ball in a tube with a magnet type of sensors. If the bags went off in the old car, the sensors either need to be reset or replaced.

Then we need to figure out if 97 sensors and harness in the front will work with 95 ACU and interior sensor(s).

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kastein posted:

You know, that's a very good point. From the diagrams it looks like they're the ball in a tube with a magnet type of sensors. If the bags went off in the old car, the sensors either need to be reset or replaced.

Then we need to figure out if 97 sensors and harness in the front will work with 95 ACU and interior sensor(s).

It looks like SRS is a different harness than the main engine one and wasn't one I replaced. The main SRS module is still in the 95 and I didn't remove, and I haven't done anything with anything else SRS related (except remove the driver airbag when I pulled off the steering wheel).

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

https://imgur.com/gfmTxJ2.mp4

(sound)https://imgur.com/gfmTxJ2

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Can lock the car and close the hood, which is nice.

At the point where legit waiting on parts to complete things.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Got the fenders swapped, the passenger door swapped and aligned, driver door swapped and aligned, hood mounted, I even have keyless working now.

Coolant hoses should be arriving EoM, getting coolant flowing is the main thing stopping next steps. Also ordering a coolant overflow bottle and that srs sensor I need. Once hoses arrive need to do the timing belt, get the cooling system sorted, probably pull the a/c compressor and replace, then can change fluids and start the diagnostic part of dialing the car in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

While waiting for parts (and a sufficient free block of time to be able to replace the timing belt in one sitting), I decided to start dealing with the absolute grody carpet that's in this car.

Here's the passenger compartment with the carpet removed. Still need to do some cleaning and will probably do a bit more work to smooth out that area where the jack stand decided to make its impression on the project

Oh, so that's where they went

Here's a comparison of what the carpet looked like when it was newly installed 30 years ago and now.
I was thinking about cleaning it real good and throwing it back in, but given how nasty it looks (and yeah, it's 30 years old), that I found evidence that at least one PO was a smoker/vaper, and that I can get a full passenger/cargo carpet in essex with mass backing for like $320, I don't think I'm gonna. It would cost me at least 1-200 to get the supplies and tools I'd need to even start addressing this, and I kinda don't wanna.

loving EW.

Some people look at car stereo wiring as an opportunity to use up every spare scrap of anything that vaguely resembles speaker wire, and PO was definitely one of those people.