Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Half the time I think I've got an FFXII track in my head, I get a few bars in and realise it's the Caesar 3 ingame music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TA8sj7KIZ8&t=107s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I sincerely doubt anyone's trying to use Chrono Trigger of all things to shore up their weeb street cred or whatever. Chrono Trigger's just an exceptionally well-made game that stands the test of time. Of course it's fondly remembered.

Mega64 posted:

Or maybe they're just great games that stand out from other JRPGs of the era for a variety of good reasons. poo poo, many RPGs could still stand to learn some things from Chrono Trigger, that game basically nails its pacing.

This is why I think Chrono Trigger is probably the best game to use to introduce someone to JRPGs who's never played them before and wants to see what they're all about. Chrono Trigger is impeccably paced, has loads of personality, and just the right level of simplicity vs. interactivity in its combat. The lack of truly random battles is great, too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this forum went through a phase a while back where people tried to convince themselves that CT wasn't excellent

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's worse than that, they tried to convince themselves Chrono Cross was good

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

this forum went through a phase a while back where people tried to convince themselves that CT wasn't excellent

Its a shame that they're doing this with CC now

E: Like the clown above me

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Actually I thinks it's just a few people who don't think a 25 year old game is still the best the best the genre has to offer.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Chrono/Earthbound is what nerds use to try and big up their weeb credentials

This is one of the worst takes ive seen in Games in a long time

Leal posted:

Its a shame that they're doing this with CC now

E: Like the clown above me

CC's plot was jammed firmly up its own rear end and was a convoluted pile of poo poo and made its tie in to CT laughably loving stupid and suffered from having too many characters with irritating accents and poo poo typed out that made it a chore to read

Turning a guy like Dalton into an important part of the lore, with him destroying Guardia and taking the Masamune, just lmao forever at that stupid poo poo

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Actually I thinks it's just a few people who don't think a 25 year old game is still the best the best the genre has to offer.

I played CT for the first time with the DS version and thought it was ok, but have no idea how it's still regarded as the 'pinnacle' of anything mechanics or storywise. Just a decently well made game that was probably way crazier compared to everything else when it came out I guess.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Even at the the time it was considered lightweight fluff compared to FF6

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If the trek across the Northern Continent isn't complete poo poo in the FF7 Remake then it won't be faithful to the original.

I beat the Schizo dragon on my third try, only to get ambushed and killed by a Behemoth before I could save.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Even at the the time it was considered lightweight fluff compared to FF6

lol uh what, what are you talking about, I remember reading magazines back in the day that all firmly said that it was a stellar game and I have far off memories of one saying it may have been better than ff6

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not the magazine I read :colbert:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

If you weren't reading gamepro, egm, Nintendo power, insert the other one here I can't remember the name of? enjoy getting tackled at recess, bitch :cool:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
gamefan was the creme de la creme back in those days

i found a few issues in my local barbershop and those writers were videogame weebs to a degree previously unknown to me. rhapsodizing over imported copies of virtual on:oratorio tangram

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Just scrolling past all the CC critics while listening to Time's Scar and just laughing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Good soup! posted:

If you weren't reading gamepro, egm, Nintendo power, insert the other one here I can't remember the name of? enjoy getting tackled at recess, bitch :cool:

Didn't get any of them in the UK also we don't call it recess

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And I was in college when CT came out lol

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cardboard Fox posted:

Just scrolling past all the CC critics while listening to Time's Scar and just laughing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chrono Trigger isn't, like, the pinnacle of the JRPG or anything, it's just a really well-made game with a lot of charm and a nice, breezy pace. It's a good, fun game. My saying that it's the game I'd recommend to someone new to JRPGs isn't because I think it's the absolute best the genre has to offer--it's just a game that's both fun and a good introduction.

Of course for reference I found I appreciated Chrono Trigger even more after playing I Am Setsuna. Setsuna was okay, but I replaced CT immediately afterwards and the sheer amount of personality it had in comparison to Setsuna really stuck out to me.

(also Chrono Cross is good)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well yeah, the Setsuna devs somehow got the idea that the thing people remembered fondly about CT was the combat.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Didn't get any of them in the UK also we don't call it recess

We also didn't get Chrono Trigger on the SNES, so our magazines would have said extremely little about it at all!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

CT is maybe not the absolute best jrpg ever made, but it does lots of things very well and has very few annoying bullshit bits. It lacks the really low lows the genre can hit sometimes, and while it doesn't hit the unquestionably highest highs, it's on average pretty high.

I mean hell, it's a jrpg that has a brusque pace and doesn't make you grind a lot just to pad itself out, that's almost a novelty even today

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

multijoe posted:

We also didn't get Chrono Trigger on the SNES, so our magazines would have said extremely little about it at all!

Super Play and a lot of other magazines did import reviews, probably mainly because some months they wouldn't have a lot to talk about otherwise lol.

Can't remember if CT or Earthbound was the first game I imported.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Asterite34 posted:

CT is maybe not the absolute best jrpg ever made, but it does lots of things very well and has very few annoying bullshit bits. It lacks the really low lows the genre can hit sometimes, and while it doesn't hit the unquestionably highest highs, it's on average pretty high.

I mean hell, it's a jrpg that has a brusque pace and doesn't make you grind a lot just to pad itself out, that's almost a novelty even today

I can't think of any modern JRPGs that really need grinding...outside maybe Yakuza 7 but Yakuza 7 has some of the worst gameplay ever so I guess that tracks.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Cardboard Fox posted:

a good soundtrack doesn't make a game good

I would know, I play Sonic games

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Chrono Trigger's biggest strength is its relative lack of weaknesses. Many games do a lot of things much better than CT, including quite a few Final Fantasy games, but CT does everything pretty well. The combat system doesn't have much depth, but it has enough meat going for it to keep the breezy narrative going. The cast have just enough character development to be memorable, even if they're mostly tropes. It has a killer presentation, of course, and it avoids the usual time travel trap of getting too much into time travel mechanics for the sake of simplicity. It's not going to compare to FF9's world building, but it also doesn't have glacially slow battles. The story doesn't have the emotional beats of FF10's, but it's also easy to breeze through story sections when replaying. It doesn't have the mechanical depth of FF5, but it makes up for it with a more dynamic story with more cool things happening.

CT is a great JRPG for beginners just because it lacks many of the flaws of the genre that may turn people off, like constant random battles, a meandering story, dull characters, and so on. It's just a solid overall package that is at least good at everything it does.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think Chrono Trigger is a solid enough game overall and pretty good for just being a pretty short game where you go to cool areas that even now aren’t usually seen all together like post-apocalyptic future and idyllic magic utopia hovering above the shitshow ice age caused by Majin Jenova, but whenever people complement it on its lack of random encounters I feel like there’s some real rose tinted glasses.

Because, umm, I guess they’re not random in the sense that if you walk to a specific spot there’s always gonna be monsters that run out to accost you but like half the game, probably closer to 2/3, doesn’t have what people think of when they think of how revolutionary Chrono Trigger was with onscreen encounters you can actively avoid and imho are more obnoxious than Dragon Quest’s.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

HD DAD posted:

Like the character designs of Goku, Bulma, Arale, and Launch.

Real rude leaving Piccolo (and Garlic jr) off the list like that.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Look at these posers who've never played Mystic Ark. :smuggo:
That you can go back and get more black iron in the first world to use to make a strong weapon later in the game is some real bullshit though because I don't think any NPCs or the game itself suggests you can get more after turning in the plot-required piece.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Xad posted:

a good soundtrack doesn't make a game good

I would know, I play Sonic games

Good thing CC has many other merits, then. It's just kind of hard to appreciate its great gameplay or art while reading the forum.

I played CT and CC for the first time in 2014 I think, maybe 2015 I recognize CT was a pretty well-made game but outside the trial and maybe the flashback with Lucca's mom, I don't think there's much there worth remembering in terms of game content. CC is kind of the reverse as it's a big ol' mess of a game in terms of its storytelling but goddamn if I don't love all the pieces that went into that mess a lot more.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like Chrono Cross suffers from being the first game that many people can remember that came out blatantly, unmistakeably unfinished, at a time when that hadn't started happening constantly.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like Chrono Cross suffers from being the first game that many people can remember that came out blatantly, unmistakeably unfinished, at a time when that hadn't started happening constantly.

Xenogears came out first didn't it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Secret of Mana came out well before both

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The thing with Chrono Trigger is that a JRPG with good, snappy pacing is harder to find than a pink tail. It's essentially unheard of in the genre, and it's become even rarer in the 21st century. I think this is a big part of why it is remembered so fondly.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

nrook posted:

The thing with Chrono Trigger is that a JRPG with good, snappy pacing is harder to find than a pink tail.

There's a whole thing about slowpoke tails in gen 2 Pokemon

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
I replayed Chrono Trigger fairly recently and it holds up amazingly well. The story and characters have a lot of charm and the pacing is perfect. I'm close to finishing FF6 right now too and it also has perfect pacing.

I dunno why it's so hard for JRPGs to be paced well. I've been replaying a lot of JRPGs lately It seems like PS1 and PS2 era JRPGs deliberately tried to be slower. Somehow when I was a teenager I loved games like Xenosaga with their 40 minute cutscenes, but now it's so hard to stick with those games.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Chrono Cross is a game that is solidly fine, it has very high highs but it has some really bad aspects as well. Only a handful of playable characters get development, the element system makes swapping out characters a hassle so you’re discouraged from fully utilizing the large cast, and the difficulty is maybe too easy except for like two really difficult fights (Miguel and Dario).

There are great plot segments (Fairy genocide, chronopolis, viper manor) and boring pointless filler (almost everything on the Zelbess, Gaia’s Navel, anything with Starky). Thankfully, the New Game + mode included a fast forward button.

To anyone who liked Chrono Cross, I would highly recommend Baten Kaitos. Masato Kato was definitely in a similar mood when writing it, the world has a similar feel, and it’s also highly flawed but with some really excellent parts to it.

Anyway here’s my Chrono Cross character tier list
SS: Serge, Lynx, Glenn
S: Harle, Guile
A: Kid
Bunny-girl: Janice
C: pretty much everyone else
F: Poshul

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Chrono Cross is a game that is solidly fine, it has very high highs but it has some really bad aspects as well. Only a handful of playable characters get development, the element system makes swapping out characters a hassle so you’re discouraged from fully utilizing the large cast, and the difficulty is maybe too easy except for like two really difficult fights (Miguel and Dario).

There are great plot segments (Fairy genocide, chronopolis, viper manor) and boring pointless filler (almost everything on the Zelbess, Gaia’s Navel, anything with Starky). Thankfully, the New Game + mode included a fast forward button.

To anyone who liked Chrono Cross, I would highly recommend Baten Kaitos. Masato Kato was definitely in a similar mood when writing it, the world has a similar feel, and it’s also highly flawed but with some really excellent parts to it.

Anyway here’s my Chrono Cross character tier list
SS: Serge, Lynx, Glenn
S: Harle, Guile
A: Kid
Bunny-girl: Janice
C: pretty much everyone else
F: Poshul

Mojoy not SSS tier, Bad opinion.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sakurazuka posted:

Secret of Mana came out well before both

Was SoM unfinished? I thought its issue was they had to cut content because of storage limitations on the SNES cartridges since they were originally designing it for a SNES CD add-on or something to that effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Is there a typical time the games drop on release day? I've got a 4 day weekend and I'm gonna go all in on FFV remaster.