Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The X-man cometh posted:

Rod and Gigi are my favorite team but I loved that Broadway singer and preschool teacher Ricky did the baseball drills so easily while Rod took forever

Ricky and Cesar continue to dominate but they just seem like normal guys, it's great. I'm really rooting for them to win although I've enjoyed the majority of the cast this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Yeah, almost all of the teams this season are great (except Vinnie and Amber and the brother and sister who were eliminated first). This could have been a great season of they kept the episodes 60 minutes.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I feel like this season suffers by being after 35 but filmed before it. Season was dominated by the two guys that basically had a language and location advantage the entire time. I mean good for them, not their fault, but still kinda boring.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
LOCALS DO NOT EAT AT PAT'S OR GENO'S
EVER

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

How do you end up outside PA?! What?! I assume they went to NJ, which requires going over a bridge and seeing lots of signs saying you're going to NJ. Wherever they were wasn't even near the main bridges, from the looks of it
Ask literally any single person in Philly and they will know where Pat's and Gino's are (because the tourists always want to know)

(I'm like 45 minutes behind)

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

What the gently caress does the Glen Foerd mansion have to do with George Washington, it was built in like 1850 :confused:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SteveVizsla posted:

How do you end up outside PA?! What?! I assume they went to NJ, which requires going over a bridge and seeing lots of signs saying you're going to NJ. Wherever they were wasn't even near the main bridges, from the looks of it
Ask literally any single person in Philly and they will know where Pat's and Gino's are (because the tourists always want to know)

(I'm like 45 minutes behind)

nah theres a few spots from philly that dip into camden and maple shade without too much signage.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Diabetic posted:

I feel like this season suffers by being after 35 but filmed before it. Season was dominated by the two guys that basically had a language and location advantage the entire time. I mean good for them, not their fault, but still kinda boring.

i think it might be the most dominant performance a team has had in TAR history, 7 first places and they won the season

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

STING 64 posted:

i think it might be the most dominant performance a team has had in TAR history, 7 first places and they won the season

Oh absolutely. This is like if Captain America ran a marathon against your average Joe.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
It really infuriates me that an uncomfortably large portion of America thinks that those two shouldn't be allowed to adopt a child.

whoscookinbacon
Apr 4, 2011

STING 64 posted:

I am...not understanding the Reddit hate for Ricky and Cesar. They caught a break getting Philly at the end, sure, but the home field advantage didn't really matter as much as bad instructions and navigating hampered the pilots and rememberization hurt Rod and Leticia, But sure, peacock around with your racism and homophobia. I mean, they served one more mixed drink than they were supposed to and still beat out the team that had a ***bartender*** in their ranks. There are times to fingerwaggle about favoritism/production nudging but Ricky and Cesar proved, leg after leg, that they had peerless communication, slow to panic and quick to pivot, and well rounded in enough different activities to be the best. It was pretty cool to watch for me.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Ricky and Cesar rule, very happy they won.

The "language advantage" was something that like half the teams had, and it barely factors in to most legs of the race. They kept dominating again and again in physical challenges against fitter teams, they crushed all the puzzles, they just did really well from top to bottom and didn't succumb to the usual in-fighting and frustration that takes down other teams.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STING 64 posted:

They now have the record for best average finish. They were one leg short of tying the record for most first place finishes though.

whoscookinbacon posted:

I am...not understanding the Reddit hate for Ricky and Cesar. They caught a break getting Philly at the end, sure, but the home field advantage didn't really matter as much as bad instructions and navigating hampered the pilots and rememberization hurt Rod and Leticia, But sure, peacock around with your racism and homophobia. I mean, they served one more mixed drink than they were supposed to and still beat out the team that had a ***bartender*** in their ranks. There are times to fingerwaggle about favoritism/production nudging but Ricky and Cesar proved, leg after leg, that they had peerless communication, slow to panic and quick to pivot, and well rounded in enough different activities to be the best. It was pretty cool to watch for me.

Reddit seems very determined to hate this season, and I think I've just accepted that I'm going to tune them out (some people are saying it's like bottom 5 season, which is ridiculous hyperbole).

Really glad Ricky and Cesar won. It's rare that the team I'm rooting for actually wins (Ron/Christina, Jaymes/James and Emily/Molly all got the curse of second place as I was rooting for them), but that's two seasons in a row now that the team I picked to win actually wins.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 16, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah most of the teams spoke Spanish.

This was a really cool season. Aside from what happened to Danny and Angie, I think the show adapted pretty well to the covid restrictions. There have been other seasons that took place pretty centrally to one area so that wasn't surprising. Personally I thought it was cool how the random taxi selection simulated aspects like getting a cab driver who has no idea what you're talking about, in a setting where you can't just pull one off the street at the moment. Stuff like that made it still feel like The Amazing Race and that was impressive.

Haven't seen a winning game like this on this show, it was impressive. Way to go Ricky and Cesar! They really kicked rear end. Favorite runners up? Mine was Goku Rod and Chi-chi.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 16, 2024

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

STING 64 posted:

nah theres a few spots from philly that dip into camden and maple shade without too much signage.

The only one I can think of is if they went all the way up to the Betsy Ross somehow, which doesn't have much signage in general but does say NJ/NJTP on the main signs. Ben Franklin is the most sense, fairly easy to get accidentally on, but you know you're going to NJ. I also don't understand being so bad at US geography that you don't know the river splits Philly from NJ but maybe that's me.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SteveVizsla posted:

The only one I can think of is if they went all the way up to the Betsy Ross somehow, which doesn't have much signage in general but does say NJ/NJTP on the main signs. Ben Franklin is the most sense, fairly easy to get accidentally on, but you know you're going to NJ. I also don't understand being so bad at US geography that you don't know the river splits Philly from NJ but maybe that's me.

ive made the drive like a thousand times and if im not coming on the walt whitman it isnt exactly super clear you've entered jersey. you definitely know when you're leaving it though lol :10bux:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I love Rod. He just seems like a completely awesome dude. He and Leticia are a perfect match for each other, she also seems great.

Cesar apparently designs baskets for Chopped???? He's perfect.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Diabetic posted:

Oh absolutely. This is like if Captain America ran a marathon against your average Joe.

On your left!

ApplesandOranges posted:

(some people are saying it's like bottom 5 season, which is ridiculous hyperbole).

It's not ridiculous nor is it hyperbole. This is the least I've enjoyed a season of TAR in a long long time. There are plenty of factors that can go into that which has nothing to do with the teams themselves. Ricky and Cesar are great. Most of the teams were great tbh. Would have loved to see this exact cast in a race that actually went around the world where they could have done way more with it.

SteveVizsla posted:

They did this with the security guard though and he explicitly pointed them AWAY from the steakhouse lmao

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007
I wouldn't say it's a bottom 5 season but it's definitely my least favorite in a while. I found myself pretty bored and zoning out during several of the episodes.

I liked most of the teams and didn't have any real issue with any of the locations, but it definitely felt to me like a lack of variety. I also thought most of the tasks were pretty boring and the teams for the most part finished in roughly the same order every leg. R/C are very deserving winners but it would've been nice to see someone actually challenge them a little bit; I know they struggled with the surfboard challenge but the path to the pit stop was so linear it didn't feel like they were actually in any danger.
Watching Amber and Vinny do their bullshit every episode was a real chore, too.

I'll definitely be glad to be back to non-COVID TAR when it comes back next spring.

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

I just found so many challenges to be super snoozy. Weld two pieces of metal together. Grind up these bottles with a bike. Go to this location, then immediately get a clue and leave without any interaction.

This finale had better challenges at least.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Overall, I found this an incredibly boring season. It probably wouldn't have been quite so bad if they had aired the seasons in order, so the travel restrictions wouldn't have felt so out of place (and it wouldn't have followed such an amazing season). The lack of variety in location/activities, starting people at the same time, clues that were just "drive to x", all created a season that didn't have much going for it, made worse by stretching it to 90 minutes. They didn't even jump off a bridge in the finale, and finales almost always have some big heights thing like that! If the winners hadn't been so likeable, it would be a contender for bottom three, but the teams possibly saved it from that. Ultimately it comes down to which you think makes a season worse - boring/bad challenges and fundamentals, or awful/mean teams.

IcePhoenix posted:

They did this with the security guard though and he explicitly pointed them AWAY from the steakhouse lmao

Maybe he was trying to send them to a better place? lol.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

It's a combination of things:

They stayed really in South America, I know I'm ignorant, but a lot of the countries blended together because they have similar architecture so it felt the same, even on the mega leg it looked similar.

Challenges were kind of boring mostly involving cleaning up something

The boys dominated and I mean dominated. This was like watching an older season where someone came in last hours later after the group, you knew it was gonna happen but still had to watch it, only this time it was the entire group.

The mom and son getting eliminated because their camera crew got lost. Yes, they wouldn't have won, they took it in great stride, but it really sucked for that to be how they went out.

90 minute episodes. This season was clearly not built for it and it was a pain to watch due to that.

I love the show, truly, it's one of the few competitive shows I get feel good energy from, because, chances are, if you're an rear end in a top hat, you get karma. The guys deserve the win, I hope they get to adopt their kid, but this is a low point for the show as a whole. I know it'll improve, and I hope the two guys that won don't take Internet criticism to heart, they were really good.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The previous season was great and was taped after this one so at least they improved immediately.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The thing I liked about Ricky and César was that they weren't the most athletic looking team but regularly beat the fitness trainers, air force pilots, firefighters, and cops in the physical challenges, even beating Rod at the baseball challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

The thing I liked about Ricky and César was that they weren't the most athletic looking team but regularly beat the fitness trainers, air force pilots, firefighters, and cops in the physical challenges, even beating Rod at the baseball challenge.

I liked that, too. They didn't seem to have any major fears with anything, and had at least a tiny bit of experience with most things the challenge threw at them. They really knew each others strengths and weaknesses, too. They're what teams *should* be.