Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

RickVoid posted:

This thread going to make me buy a digital version of Civ IV. You monster.

Seriously though. The LP is good. If Civ V wasn't 20 friggen gigs I'd probably have reinstalled it already, even though I didn't get into it the first time around.

For the whole Civ IV experience, get whatever the latest is in the long line of Fall From Heaven 2 successors. I think it's Ashes of Erebus? Anyway, FFH2 is the quintessential "good mod".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the quintessential "good mod" for IV is Dune Wars :colbert:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

wiegieman posted:

For the whole Civ IV experience, get whatever the latest is in the long line of Fall From Heaven 2 successors. I think it's Ashes of Erebus? Anyway, FFH2 is the quintessential "good mod".

Nah, stick with the classic FFH2, the successors pile on way too many elements to make things fun.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
FFH2 was amazing and I know I actually played more of it than I did the base game.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

GunnerJ posted:

Clubbing baby seals is in fact deplorable!! :colbert:

lol

oh god we are clubbng baby seals! D:

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Siegkrow posted:

oh god we are clubbng baby seals! D:
It's not what you think, we're just taking them to nice all ages discotheques where they dance and party and have the time of their lives.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

RickVoid posted:

FFH2 was amazing and I know I actually played more of it than I did the base game.

This. FFH2 ate so much time.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Nah, stick with the classic FFH2, the successors pile on way too many elements to make things fun.

I like the Erebus in the Balance modmod from RB since it's very close to the base mod and makes certain weak civs a lot more interesting to play.

I'm fine with either though honestly, most of the total conversion modmods are way too much.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Well, I didn't pay $30 to re-buy the game on Steam. Going to at least wait for the upcoming steam sale to bring it down to something reasonable.

I did however spend the day hunting down the five install disks from my copy that were scattered around various boxes. In the process of installing CIV Gold now, will immediately upgrade to BTS as soon as it finishes.

... And I imagine FFH2 will follow shortly. Sigh.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Part 6 - Persistence

Welcome back! Last t-

:goleft:

Thanks to Envoys and Printing Press we can really get crackin on courting city-states, and that quest I wasn't aware of is quite well-timed as it lets us ally up with both of the nearby ones in 1 turn :toot:

You know what? Sure, bud! Things are starting to really get moving for us and we're still swimming in Salt, we can afford to give up a freebie for the sake of friendship.

Holy poo poo, thanks dude! You can trade techs in CBP like you could in Civ 4, and very rarely civs you're BFFs with will give you one as a gift. See, friendship pays off!

Harbors are quite nice in CBP as they're basically version of Customs Houses for specifically sea trade routes (and maybe stacks with it, but I'm not sure?), in addition to the city connection thing and some various other bonuses. We also get an Explorer, which like the unit of the same name we had last game is also an upgrade to Scouts except slightly better as A) they get unlocked slightly faster and B), can actually see while embarked worth a drat. We would build one to go check out overseas, but I very much doubt we'll be building any more settlements and I wanna leave the rest of the scouting to the coolest unit in CBP, which you'll see later.

A scant 236 turns in we get our second great prophet! We'll send him around to religion up all our cities, and the reason I waited until a great prophet to do this is in the hopes that since they convert more people than Missionaries do the happiness penalty from wanting more followers will be lessened.

This isn't... incredibly useful onsidering we only have 2 or 3 wonders, but hey we need to complete the tree and every little bit helps!

Hermitage in CBP merely gives 1 culture for every 4 citizens in the city it's built plus gives 3 less culture by itself, making it possibly the most nerfed building in the entire game! Hooray! (not sure how much tourism you get from the theming bonus though, maybe it's like huge in CBP??)

Uhhhh WHOOPS, guess I forgot to actually take him out of that city! Thankfully Hiawtha apaprently wasn't able to figure out whose it was, so we'll pat him on the back and put him on guard duty in Ivvavik for now.

Observatories are loving WEIRD in CBP. Instead of the city having to be adjacent to a mountain, it gives out +5 science on it's own plus an extra 1 for each mountain within 3 tiles of the city. This makes them... very situational, as sometimes it'll be amazing since a single mountain can "apply" to as many cities as you can fit around it (and it doesn't need to be within your borders), but then there's situations like, say, the one we have right now, where our entire empire will get a whopping 1 extra science from it. :shrug:

For those wondering, the Egypt/Iroquois war is still ongoing and in addition to it going extremely predictably, Hiawatha's plan for getting to them seems to be "just loving carve through everything". Stay safe, Lhasa!

Ooooh, I know exactly what to use you on, too. We still need 1 more policy to unlock it but our chances of acutally getting the Leaning Tower just markedly went up.

Like I said in the last game, our vote is meaningless here so we may as well get some brownie points with Pacal by voting for him. Maybe if we do he'll even help us get our seals back!

Hey that's not true at all, all my neighbors are super nice to me! Well, all of them, except, for...

You.

Are we actually doing this again, lady? We are, aren't we?

Fortunately, in a fix for what I've always thought was one of the more annoying oversights in Vanilla Civ 5 you can call the AI out for amassing near your borders. However they do get the same options the player does when you do so, which means...

... Oh you are loving done, lady.

:irony:

Okay, we finally have the resources to decisively crush Spain once and for all, but as we're gold-buying and building our poo poo-on squad let's take care of some odds and en-

Hahaha eat poo poo

Here's our first Great Diplomat! Great Diplomats can either do a super-powered version of what Diplomats do and net you 70 influence with a city-state while also decreasing other civs' influence by the same amount, or do what I've highlighted here and build an Embassy in one, which you can only build 1 of in each CS but gives you a free delegate for each. It should be noted that only the first civ to build an embassy in a CS gets that vote, but considering how rare and valuable a resource delegates are it's really good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SywNf5J81U

Even this poor Conquistador of theirs can't catch a break as it was making it's way past one of our allies when the fighting broke out :tipshat:

More voting, this time one we actually have a say in! Nothing new here or anything we really care much about (Santion Brazil is the same as Sanction City States, ie it's just embargo + lessened warmonger penalties), we'll probably throw a couple votes toward attempt #2 at repealing Catholicism?

Hiawatha you're NOT HELPING :argh:

Sorry bud but no can do, my needs have, uh, changed :v:

I love every single one of you non-spanish, non-egyptian people. And please nobody quote that out of context.

Perfect! Completing Aesthetics DOUBLES all our theming bonuses straight up, plus lets us see hidden antiquity sites in addition to all the default bonuses. Most importantly right now though:

Boom!

CBP gives you buildings on the same turn you rush them if it's enough instead of making you wait an extra turn, so no chance of it getting sniped either! (which believe me, has happened to me before) This is reaallly really nice for games like ours, ie going for Tourism with a ton of cities to fit great works in.

We're actually gonna use the free great person on another Engineer, as there's another wonder I'd really like coming up really soon!

Slowly rising up the ranks! The amount of techs we're out of 1st place by is roughly the same, but the difference between 1st and last widens in that regard as the game goes on so we're improvin kinda!

Okay okay okay, main event time! Our troops and navy are finally all built and into position, they begin to press into Spanish lands, and...

They're not resisting well.

Aww, I tried to satisfy my own vindictiveness by bringing toledo from 100 health to captured in 1 turn but it juuuust does hold on against our Knight. Next turn, then Seville!

Acoustics finishes up the next turn, which unlocks the other wonder I wanted in the Sistine Chapel!

Boom again! It doesn't quite one-shot it this time though, so we'll need to hope we didn't waste him for a couple more turns.

Another round of smashing the defenseless, and they're not holding out this time!

One more, and unless they are truly committed to their craft Spain will never loving bother us again.

On the flip side of Hermitage being nerfed, Opera Houses (which weirdly you can very easily not get till after Hermitage even though having 1 up is necessary for it), are very much improved from their Vanilla effect. Not the worst trade-off in the world for us actually, considering we'll soon have 8 cities to spam them in.

Ahh, so this is what that Partisans thing from earlier is supposed to do, presumably them being barbarians was due to us making peace before it happened. They had the bad luck of spawning right in the middle of our forces however and are merely Landsknechts to boot, so our army makes short work of them as they group up again after taking Toledo.

Hey, some of our veteran units are starting to get the high-end promotions an while we'll abviously likely be missing a fair bit of them here's the new Charge, which in addition to it's old effect does... the same as one of the old default promotions :v:

You two deserve eachother, good god.

Nevertheless we still want as few people mad at us as possible unless it's on our terms, so before he even THINKS about getting upset at us for taking over more of her cities we'll let him know he'd have been next.

Hooray! With all our cities, hopefully this'll mean we'll be churning out a ridiculous amount of culture late-game.

Isabella appears to have flat-out given up on her original empire as some of her units begin retreating all the way up to the trash settlements we saw her build earlier, but even then the borders of Giza largely wall off their escape. Our cannons are amassing around Seville, which is almost compeltely defenseless save for a couple Galeass in the bay.

NOPE. We coulda been pals, Izzy! This is all on you!

See, you only had to be like this guy and this never would've happened!

Corvettes are an upgrade to Caravels, and while we only have 1 ship remaining on their side of the coast it is a Galeass, which we can upgrade to a Frigate back in Madrid's bay :getin:

Our cannons arrive in place and begin firing upon Seville, right as Pacal finishes a new wonder that gives various bonuses for Diplomatic units. Would've been nice to have but by no means really on our radar, ATTACK!

Haha whoops, our Frigate charges into place and faceplants right into a bigger navy than I thought they had. Welp, go down swingin', friend!

His brave sacrifice does keep them occupied however, and with nothing else around to defend the city...

It's done, after just 2 turns of fire!

Now gently caress off to what remains of your empire and don't come back, you're Hiawatha's problem now.

WELL, that was cathartic. I know I've said this like 3 times now, but our "border disputes" with Spain are probably finally over. Probably. See you next time! :buddy:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Himeji Castle is one thing but watch the hell out if the Shoshone make it. You're in trouble then!

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
It's so nice to see Izzy be the same insane warmonger that she was back in Civ4. Too bad you two couldn't share religion and you could send her after Hiawatha.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So I technically have Civ 4 working, but only the BTS exe. I had to run the latest patch on it to get it working. Unfortunately, it appears that because I installed the game to a location other than the default, the base game patch and the warlords patch don't recognize that either of those games are installed, so it won't let me update those, and therefore the game won't start when I use those exe's. I'm only locked out of the content from those, but I did kind of want to play the tutorial since it's been forever since I last played. Ah well.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

I predict that Isabela is gonna keep on being a pain in yo butt.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Monicro posted:

CBP gives you buildings on the same turn you rush them if it's enough instead of making you wait an extra turn, so no chance of it getting sniped either! (which believe me, has happened to me before) This is reaallly really nice for games like ours, ie going for Tourism with a ton of cities to fit great works in.

You're going for a tourism victory? It seems like that would be awfully difficult. Shouldn't that one player that's scooped up all those wonders be a cultural powerhouse?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Montegoraon posted:

You're going for a tourism victory? It seems like that would be awfully difficult. Shouldn't that one player that's scooped up all those wonders be a cultural powerhouse?

It's difficult, but a lot of Tourism is based on Culture converter buildings like the Airport and the Stadium as well as stuff like Open Borders and shared Religion. It certainly helps to have a bunch of Wonders, but most early game wonders don't do much for Tourism.

The other side of it is that A Tourism Victory can involve conquest via eliminating troublesome rivals (Hiawatha).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Is the internet still the "Oh god you still haven't won your culture victory yet? FINE!" tech?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Is the internet still the "Oh god you still haven't won your culture victory yet? FINE!" tech?

More or less.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

The other side of it is that A Tourism Victory can involve conquest via eliminating troublesome rivals (Hiawatha).

That's the plan! :v:

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Xelkelvos posted:

It's difficult, but a lot of Tourism is based on Culture converter buildings like the Airport and the Stadium as well as stuff like Open Borders and shared Religion. It certainly helps to have a bunch of Wonders, but most early game wonders don't do much for Tourism.

Sometimes the AI even does it for you! I had some troublesome neighbors, so I took them down to a single city. They were also literally the only culture I wasn't influential with. Then later, another AI went and took that city, removing them from the game. Meaning I went from 10 of 11 influential cultures to win, to 10 of 10 influential cultures to win. It was very strange.

Glowing Red Sign
Oct 26, 2008

Monicro posted:

That's the plan! :v:

Yeah, Hiawatha's tech/wonder lead makes him concerning, and possibly someone you would to deal with to keep him from running away with the game.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, at the difficulty I play on almost all my games have a "hey that person's like 15 turns away from winning, better go murder them" part so I've been kinda assuming it's gonna o that way with him. We have to keep him on our side for the moment though as he has BOTH of Great Wall/Himeji Castle which would be, uh, a problem if we rushed in before the former became obselete.

Glowing Red Sign
Oct 26, 2008
And you don't need to conquer all of his stuff in one go, just take enough away to make his lead something you can catch up to within an acceptably short amount of time.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Monicro posted:

Yeah, at the difficulty I play on almost all my games have a "hey that person's like 15 turns away from winning, better go murder them" part so I've been kinda assuming it's gonna o that way with him. We have to keep him on our side for the moment though as he has BOTH of Great Wall/Himeji Castle which would be, uh, a problem if we rushed in before the former became obselete.

This is arguably my largest complaint with Civ V/Endless X etc games. You can be the absolute bestest buds in the world and everythings hunky dory. But the minute you build that ISS Booster you're literally Hitler and everyone wants to kill you regardless of the warmonger penalties.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Siegkrow posted:

I predict that Isabela is gonna keep on being a pain in yo butt.

Nah, at this stage she's utterly irrelevant.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Yeah, even if she declared war, her economy can't support an adequate army with one city to be any more relevant than barbarians. Even if she sends a pioneer off halfway across the world to find a new land to settle in, losing all but one remote city for as long as she's in this state is going to leave her so technologically and culturally backwards that she won't be able to catch up.

She's mostly going to make stupid demands and snide insults, and spite vote with one delegate.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

Yeah, even if she declared war, her economy can't support an adequate army with one city to be any more relevant than barbarians. Even if she sends a pioneer off halfway across the world to find a new land to settle in, losing all but one remote city for as long as she's in this state is going to leave her so technologically and culturally backwards that she won't be able to catch up.

She's mostly going to make stupid demands and snide insults, and spite vote with one delegate.

Plus she isn't even a neighbor anymore. Not much incentive to fight from across the map like that.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Part 7 - Two Bad Neighbors

Welcome back! Last time we Actually Definitely For Real This Time Honest took care of the dastardly spaniards, and it's now time to go back to bigger and better things.

Aww boo, I kinda wanted to (re-)colonize that spot but Pacal near-instantly snaps it up. Oh well, with no special properties colonizing a wonder this late in the game isn't as huge a benefit anymore.

I'm not exactly overly suspicious of Pacal or anything, but since we have the money to throw around we'll keep what's left of our army on standby over here. What I really really like about our position on this map is this is the ONLY place we can be attacked by land, and while we're considerably more vulnerable by sea the way the cities are spread out on either side (especially on our west coast) should be helpful for that as well. Now that we've dug our heels in and got rid of the one person who definitely, undoubtedly wants us dead, we're in a really solid position defensively.

Renaissance policies! They're more similar to the first 3 we unlocked than the last 3 in terms of the scope of their changes. The most overhauled of the 3 is Imperialism, which is basically the new honor with tons of mid/late-game war bonuses, with an emphasis on naval/air units. Meanwhile, the other two are basically the old focus with a new resource hammered in, with Industry getting you Gold/Production and Rationalism bringing Science/Growth.

For various reasons, we'll be taking the latter of these 3. We have a weird setup for this strategy considering how many cities we have, but between our religion (which gives us +2 to the each specialists' primary yield) the growth from this tree and the last policy from it (another +1 science/gold for each specialist) we'll have some pretty ridiculous specialists late-game.

I've been neglecting getting open borders with everyone for Tourism purposes, but Pedro very helpfully reminds me by handing his right over. A good friend.

Man y'all are fuckin vultures.

Aaaand he immediately calls us out for the static army he settled right next to :thumbsup:

#FuckRamesses

GodDAMMIT, Hiawatha! On that note, we haven't looked at it much as Tourism isn't really worth paying attention to in the early game (especially in CBP with all the lump sums of tourism that mess with the scales), but now that we're deep into the midgame we should probably check out our progress versus his.

Uh. Yikes. The raw tourism-per-turn difference is far from insurmountable, but he's waaaay ahead of us with just about every civ and it's certainly looking like we'll have to go murder him to stop that at some point. We certainly can't do it now as he has Great Wall AND Himeji Castle, but hopefully we'll be able to close the gap in terms of tech and go take him out lategame. The good news about this is our culture is outpacing his tourism, if that keeps up we have all the planning time in the word (or, yknow, until turn 500).

More voting! Nothing new here except World Science Initiative, which is a carbon copy of Sciences Funding plus a food/science boost to civs below the average in science. We don't give a poo poo about either of the other two but our entire strategy is based around getting fuckloads of great artists/writers/musicians lategame so uh, not that please.

I have no idea what their deal is with eachother but they sure want supremacy of that continent they're presumably alone on. More power to them!

Steam power, another tech made reasionably pivotal by CBP! In addition to revealing coal and unlocking seaports and a very solid new wonder in the Slater Mill, we also now have the Coolest Unit In The Game that I alluded to last update: Zeppelins! Zeppelins function similarly to Helicopters with the difference being that they're unlocked at a point where you'll ever actually use them, and are just rad as hell on principle. We'll build one or two and send it to scout out the rest of the map that we've neglected to take a look at so far.

The Industrial Era is a good marker for talking about CBP, as it's where the new elements it introduces start to taper off and it lets what it's established fully flourish. There's still one more big thing to come though, which people who have played Civ 4 will recognize.

Yeah, the Iroquois' shameless land-grabbing seemingly will not be stopped by only actually settling a few cities. Stay safe Buenos Aries!

I hate you Spain and Egypt I hate you Spain and Egypt I hate you Spain and Egypt :negative:

We do get our turn to propose something though, and here's the list of available resolutions with the only new ones we haven't seen so far being Sphere of Influence (which makes the proposer the permanent ally of the city-state they select until it's repealed), Casus Belli (which reduces unit maitenance and warmonger penalties) and Global Peace Accords (which does the opposite). Nothing's really jumping out at us as there's no way repealing Science Initative will work so quickly, so uhh, Scholars in Residence?

Man, what do you two have against eachother? I thought we were all friends, leave me out of it!

Oof, I'm still not as worried about him as I am about Hiawatha, but Pacal is loving storming ahead in science and is apparently an entire era ahead of us. Science Initiative + hopefully Scholars in Residence will help with that, I guess :sigh:

In happier news, ZEPPELINS! :neckbeard: Look how cool they are!!!!!

Of course, the minute we hook up our first handful of coal the AI descend like hawks with trade offers. This isn't a very good trade at all but we would like his open borders for a few reasons and it's only one of 14 across our empire, so gently caress it.

Knowing Ramesses and with the way this game is going, this probably means he's about to stage an attack on us from that completely disconnected city he founded next to us. Literally only half-joking.

Meanwhile on the home front, Chris Metzen is born.

Out great people rate is still chugging along even with that initiative in place, steadily improving even, which is good news!

Hiawatha keeps one step ahead, however.

Holy hell, they have a loving ginormous land army, no wonder they've been picking fights for land lately. Our attack when we go to war with him will likely be largely sea-based, but we WILL need to fight on land at some point in it so this is something to keep in mind.

Meanwhile to his immediate south, despite being in the Modern Era Pacal's capital is guarded by loving Atlatlists. I'm sure he has a more impressive squad somewhere or other, but uh, I'd be kinda shocked if Hiawatha wasn't sizing him up right now,

The tree for this one is weirdly set up, and while the left tree is probably better overall we really wanna rush the second one on this side. And hey, Enlightenment is an okay bonus.

Oh yeah, not to imply that Ramesses is a particular threat to him but if they team up this could become a problem for Pacal real quick.

Our zeppelin is making it's way through what is now a battlefield, and huh. This is a nasty, nasty chokepoint they have to fight through, but Egypt is actually bringing a semi-respectable army to the table and Pacal's is nowhere to be found, not to mention the city only has 13 strength. There's a nonzero chance they might actually get their city back!

Another round of voting, and... gently caress. We do want Scholars in Residence, but you don't need me to tell you all that Cultural Heritage Sites would be catastrophically good for Hiawatha, and he has more votes than us. There's no real good answer here, but I guess I'll bite the bullet and toss our votes in for ours while hoping his gets enough nays thrown at it? Ugh.

A turn passes, and...

Holy poo poo, cool! Turns out everyone else literally only cares about sanctioning Brazil, as every single vote except ours went to yea or nay-ing that, and so everything works out!

We get to make another proposal (CBP clearly changes the rules for who gets to make proposals but I can't seem to figure out or find online what the change actually is), and here's the new World's Fair, which instead of hosting it for finishing 1st place gives you a wonder that gives extra production and science for each Factory in your empire. This is a HUGE risk considering Hiawatha has a lead on us in hammers, but man that wonder would be incredible for us.

... gently caress it.

Yep, no surprise there. Sure thing friend, let's have at it!

More poor city-states caught in the crossfire as Ramesses looks for a better angle on Pacal, not that we mind. Pacal's getting out to an enormous delegate lead, the more of his allies get swallowed up by other civs the better.

Hey finally, a great merchant! Great Merchants in CBP can either perform a trade mission with a city-state like in vanilla, which doesn't give you influence but still a large amount of gold and starts a "We love the king day" in ALL your cities.

The other thing they can do is make a town as seen here, which versus customs houses' pure gold output give a shitload of stuff. We still have a ton of blank desert tiles strewn around, so let's make good use of one of them, shall we?

Uggghhh that is NOT HELPING :argh:

Here's the policy I alluded to earlier this update that we REALLY want, particularly the part of it that completely eliminates unhappiness from religion. This instantly shoots our happiness from 7 to 21, and we can finally put worrying about happiness in the back of our minds for the first time all game.

Nnnnnnope, sorry bud. Again, we need his tourism off our backs for as long as we possibly can.

Also I didn't screenshot any of them, but worth noting: He proceeds to propose this exact same deal every turn for the next 4 or 5 turns before finally giving up. Civ 5 AI is absolutely nothing if not audacious.

Pacal sends a contingent out to That One City, and I'm... still looking for the meat of Pacal's army. He's the leader in techs, he does like, have one, right?

Haha, looking for friends now are we? Sure, but I'm not sure what you were expecting with the war, guy!

Well that's... Exceptionally useful. I don't get Civ AI, man.

We don't seem to have a ridiculous amount of normal Archeology sites immediately around us, but in addition to those we can now actually use the hidden ones we unveiled earlier!

The new world! The area predictably looks pretty picked over land-wise so far, but we're just checking it out for cuiosity's sake so it's all good. This is what I really like about Zeppelins too: Unlike Caravels, you don't have to send a whole other unit over to other landmasses to see more than a couple tiles inland.

Factories! Factories now give +1 production for every 4 citizens in a city in addition to a flat 3 hammers, making them pretty killer for building tall. We also get another diplomatic unit rank in the creatively-named Diplomat, which give 60 influence.

Uhhh yeah, okay, Hiawatha is most definitely crackin' skulls now. Pacal's taking another stab at Sanctioning Brazil, so hopefully we can luck out by everyone just caring about that one again. Democracy!

Eiffel Tower is right up there with Chichen Itza in "The AI likes it so much I'm not sure I've literally ever gotten it in single player" wonders. It's still a really good Tourism wonder too, drat.

It worked! So, the world's fair race is on. He has a lead on us in production, but we're banking on him being too busy building his army/wonders to devote all of it to it. Meanwhile, the strategy I've come to always use for World's Fair/International Games/etc is simply, "The faster you build it, the faster you can get back to building other things". Therefore:

:buddy:

Worth noting that this means we're only a step or two behind him in policies, as we're only 2.5 away from getting our own ideology. Still worrying that they're starting to come off the board without us th-

PACAL YOU PIECE OF poo poo :argh:

Two can play at that game, motherfucker!

No we're even, it's all good!

Akhetaten is still getting whittled down by Mayan forces, though it's still a bizarrely token army with still not a single siege unit in sight. Maybe h3 just straight up hasn't built that much of an army? Weird for a tech-leading civ on a difficulty this highk, but anything's possible!

Fertilizer unlocks a very solid lategame growth building in Agribusinesses (+15% food and +1 for each Wheat/Bananas/Deer/Bison, plus a flat +5) which requires horses, which even as a token thing I quite like considering how almost completely obselete horses are by this point. It also gives various food/production bonuses, but I won't bore you with the specifics :v:

<3

Not a huge bump, but this'll increase the amount of extra growth we're getting from our Salt monopoly I suppose. The best policies are definitey yet to come.

Um. I don't care much about the trade route, but Hiawatha please don't murder Florence, they're a good trade route buddy and really close to me an-

Okay, you killed them, that's cool I guess.

poo poo.

Okay, okay, relax, it's not the end of the world. Like half his cities are puppeted, so they probably don't even have factories (yet) to make use of them, and it's not as specifically culture-focused as it was in vanilla. Still though, ughhhhhhh that would've been huge for us.

The silver lining is our consolation prizes do mean we'll be getting the last two policies pretty quickly, which will shoot us into an ideology.

Welp, maybe that's a bit of a downer note to end this update on, but for better or worse the pieces are definitely falling into place for the home stretch. See you next time!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

I'l say this, as much as it would irk us as players, As a spectator I would be completely okay with the Iroquis winning right now. Sure, it's not Monicro, but Hiawatha is showing that he wants to win via one of the less aggressive ways, not to mention has been willing to gift us a TON of techs and ultimately, other than conquering A TON of city states, has shown himself to be a nice dude.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Iroquois somehow manages to consistently be one of the best performing AIs in this game even in Vanilla. I don't think I've been in a single game with them where they weren't one of the top civs, assuming they weren't killed off early of course.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Um, Ramesses, are you ok there?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Archenteron posted:

Um, Ramesses, are you ok there?

He sold his vote to someone in a deal. When you sell votes your base delegates are locked in to whatever was stated in the deal but you're still free to use your additional votes from CSes or otherwise for whatever.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

I'l say this, as much as it would irk us as players, As a spectator I would be completely okay with the Iroquis winning right now. Sure, it's not Monicro, but Hiawatha is showing that he wants to win via one of the less aggressive ways, not to mention has been willing to gift us a TON of techs and ultimately, other than conquering A TON of city states, has shown himself to be a nice dude.

The AI are just super nice when they're allies in CBP. They're can be as nice as allies as they are petulant as enemies. Once Ideologies dig in, lots of things start going to poo poo and alliances WILL change purely because two AI have the same initial Ideology settings (this also happens with Social Policies which is probably partially why Spain had such a stick up their rear end).

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I'm eagerly waiting Monicro to go to war with Hiawatha, and then Punished Isabella rides up with like three soldiers and goes "It's not over yet fucko" and dies to city defenses.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

Iroquois somehow manages to consistently be one of the best performing AIs in this game even in Vanilla. I don't think I've been in a single game with them where they weren't one of the top civs, assuming they weren't killed off early of course.

Yeah, that's also been my experience, the fact that they are rabidly expansionist combined with the free happiness they receive on higher difficulties usually turn them into a powerhouse very quickly.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Interlude 2 - A Parody Of Himself

Welcome back! The pieces are starting to fall into place for the endgame, and we're hard at work consolidating our resources for bringing down Hiawatha before he beats us to the finish line. Let's hop back in!

The little skirmish in our backyard is still chugging along slowly but surely for the good guys, and I sold Pacal open borders to hurry the process along as you can see with some of his troops wheeling around up north.

Haha yep, Ramesses is still scrambling around looking for allies. Again I'm not sure what he was expecting to happen but he bit off waaaay more than he could chew here, even with Pacal's surprisingly underwhelming army.

Neat! Riflemen won't come into play vs Hiawatha or anything, but progress is progress! We're building Public Schools basically everywhere, if all goes well we're about to shoot up the standings in sci-

You have absolutely one hundred per cent GOT to be loving with me.

:shrug:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

There's no way that wasn't a bribe by some other civ.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

You underestimate his dynastic commitment to being a pain in my rear end. I've seen things

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Monicro posted:

You underestimate his dynastic commitment to being a pain in my rear end. I've seen things

Maybe slightly off topic, but I'd love to hear stories. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Path of least resistance away from his enemy?

• Locked thread