Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

This is bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
boooooooo they did Noah dirty

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I love Okada and Tana as a team.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Jerusalem posted:

Really wish either Kiyomiya had won that or LIJ/KONGO had gone last.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rick posted:

I love Okada and Tana as a team.

The New Megapowers never really got a chance to shine so it was nice to see them again :shobon:

Also I guess NJPW had to win because it was a Wrestle Kingdom event, but I really hope they do something with the bunch of singles matches that got teased all night.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

IS OKADA GONNA AIR-GUITAR!?!?!?!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Can't wait to hear the Pickering and co commentary

Wrestle Kingdom 16: Day 3 (Noah's Version) (From The Vault)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

IS OKADA GONNA AIR-GUITAR!?!?!?!

I bit on it for sure.

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
I dug the match but Okada didn't need to laugh at Kaito the way Tana used to laugh at him. Be the bigger man!

hopefully we'll get some follow up on this, Naito vs Nakajima especially would be huge.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Overall there was more good than bad in this show, although there were parts that irritated me because they felt like New Japan big-leaguing it. Hope they do more together in future.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sooper Gila posted:

hopefully we'll get some follow up on this, Naito vs Nakajima especially would be huge.

I know the crowd reacted big to that face-off but I really think Naito/Kenoh is the pairing that makes sense character-wise at least, they're like oil and water and I really wanna see them clash again. But in any case, agree that I'd love to see some singles matches in the future, a ton of cool stuff got teased tonight.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nice of Charlton and Kelly giving a shoutout to Fulton and Pickering and pushing for New Japan fans to check out NOAH.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

You could definitely book another (maybe less crowded) show directly off the back of this one and it would do pretty great business.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

do you guys think that literally any of the singles matches teased this morning will actually happen

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Good show. Very enjoyable.

Njpw were obviously going to win all the big matches but I don't think it was that much of a burial. Once Naito was set up as okadas next opponent neither would be taking pins.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Smoking Crow posted:

do you guys think that literally any of the singles matches teased this morning will actually happen

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Smoking Crow posted:

I think they could, I'd like them to, I place no faith in it being something they do.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

fez_machine posted:

boooooooo they did Noah dirty

i'm surprised bushi didn't eat the pin in the semi-main but there was no way in hell tana or okada were jobbing as the top two champs

Smoking Crow posted:

literally any? yes as it seems like this isn't the end of the companies working together. all of them? lol no

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony

Jerusalem posted:

I know the crowd reacted big to that face-off but I really think Naito/Kenoh is the pairing that makes sense character-wise at least, they're like oil and water and I really wanna see them clash again. But in any case, agree that I'd love to see some singles matches in the future, a ton of cool stuff got teased tonight.

Definitely.

Smoking Crow posted:

I think at the very least if everyone continues getting along there will be Noah people in the g1 this year, and Kenoh would be the best choice to send there.

I get the impression that they want to do some other shows with more companies as well, so maybe there? They GOTTA keeping going, the match I want the most in all this is Go vs Tana and that's not even been hinted at...

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Considering they had a legit sellout and outdrew the second night of the Dome in a building half the size, they'd be leaving money on the table if they don't follow up.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah, don't overdo them, but another show in 3 or 4 months, with some interpromotional rivalry in advance, would draw very well.

And now that the two promotions have been doing some work together you could have other elements of crossover. Kiyomiya enters the New Japan Cup, Dangerous Tekkers take part in the Global Tag League. Don't make it a focal point necessarily, but don't let it drop off people's radar.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Njpw wrestlers pinned in that show, Gedo, Taka, Togo, Kanemaru. They really didn't give Noah anything of significance, did they?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Stall_19 posted:

Njpw wrestlers pinned in that show, Gedo, Taka, Togo, Kanemaru. They really didn't give Noah anything of significance, did they?

You can definitely understand why NOAH/Kendo Kashin were apprehensive about having singles matches on the show if that VOW report was accurate. TAKA is technically JTO and Togo is technically Michinoku Pro affiliated as a wrestler even if he's NJPW office so we can say that two NJPW contracted pro wrestlers took the fall, and only one of them was a full-timer

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 8, 2022

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

You can definitely understand why NOAH/Kendo Kashin were apprehensive about having singles matches on the show if that VOW report was accurate. TAKA is technically JTO and Togo is technically Michinoku Pro affiliated as a wrestler even if he's NJPW office so we can say that two NJPW contracted pro wrestlers took the fall, and only one of them was a full-timer

i woke up and started watching with the gedo/ishimori match and it hit me that the first four i saw all ended with a 45+ junior heavyweight who books a promotion eating the fall (this applies to NOSAWA as well for anyone unaware).

fwiw togo's now listed as new japan on cagematch not that it matters either way to the overall point. i would've let kenoh or nakajima pin bushi or maybe even sanada personally to even it up

Thauros fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 8, 2022

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

tbf if you did the same in reverse you get King Tany, Kinya Okada, Atsushi Kotoge, NOSAWA, Tadasuke and Kaito, which excepting Kaito, isn't really the most star studded of lists either.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

tbf if you did the same in reverse you get King Tany, Kinya Okada, Atsushi Kotoge, NOSAWA, Tadasuke and Kaito, which excepting Kaito, isn't really the most star studded of lists either.

and i would argue in that case it's not on new japan that new japan dojo training has been his fatal flaw in kayfabe even when wrestling near 60 year olds

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Baffled by the booking of the final two matches, gently caress would it have killed New Japan to let Kongoh (the team with the two top singles champions of their home promotion) win their match to make it a story of the Champ and the Ace working together to even the score up in the main event? If they were going to have NJPW win the top two, let Yano win in the prematch, he's the more experienced rookie and it would have made it 5-5 going into the main.

Aside from booking gripes, I thought the show was fun and went by real quick. Looking forward to watching it again in a week with Pulton and Pickering commentating, hopefully with far less muted audio and tech issues

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm excited to watch this show. I forgot it was this morning :( I do think I'm going to wait until it's up on NJPW World before I watch it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Stall_19 posted:

lol at Kanemaru, a former NOAH guy, taking the pin lol

I know that Ishimori had heat leaving NOAH, but was Kanemaru's departure just as heated or was it more diplomatic?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
This was a bit of a sneak preview of Okada as the ace holding on against whoever the chosen upstart is from the next generation (ren, shota, tsuji or uemura)

And it felt good. Okada had some great strikes. He played the role really well. Man it's gonna be so good seeing those young guys taking a pop at the champ

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Listening to the Pacific Rim Podcast with Fumi, Jim & Dave, Fumi says the plan is for any more collaborations between New Japan and NOAH to run through Abema PPV which, after today's show, isn't exactly an exciting prospect :smith:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It makes sense, though. Abema is owned by CyberAgent, and doing them as PPVs gives them a direct metric of how much revenue the show brings in and thus they can work out whatever split of that pot they and Bushiroad each get.
I did wonder if the TakaTaichi show on NJPW World being a PPV was a trial so the next colab could be on the New Japan/TV Asahi side.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
time to invest in a japanese vpn and spend 33 dollars

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

It makes sense, though. Abema is owned by CyberAgent, and doing them as PPVs gives them a direct metric of how much revenue the show brings in and thus they can work out whatever split of that pot they and Bushiroad each get.
I did wonder if the TakaTaichi show on NJPW World being a PPV was a trial so the next colab could be on the New Japan/TV Asahi side.

TV Asahi own like 40% of Abema so I'd expect any collaborations to stay there as a compromise

Burn Down Canberra posted:

This was a bit of a sneak preview of Okada as the ace holding on against whoever the chosen upstart is from the next generation (ren, shota, tsuji or uemura)

And it felt good. Okada had some great strikes. He played the role really well. Man it's gonna be so good seeing those young guys taking a pop at the champ

He felt very influenced by how Tanahashi treated him

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

It makes sense, though.

Oh it makes perfect sense to them, I can absolutely see why they're doing it! It was just very frustrating watching last night when 10-15% of any match was in complete silence because the English feed muted ALL entrance themes which also meant any (restricted) crowd reactions or trashtalk by the wrestlers trying to set up future angles etc was completely lost. Made all the more frustrating by learning that the Japanese stream that you would have to VPN in to buy had NONE of those issues at all.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

time to invest in a japanese vpn and spend 33 dollars

This sounds sarcastic but I don't mean it like that: what would doing this allow me to do (I already have a vpn with Japanese options anyway)?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rick posted:

This sounds sarcastic but I don't mean it like that: what would doing this allow me to do (I already have a vpn with Japanese options anyway)?

The Japanese stream didn't mute out all the entrances/crowd mics/wrestlers during all the pre and post match stuff for every match like it did for the English stream, but you can't choose to access it, Abema only gave people outside of Japan (to the best of my knowledge) an option to buy the English stream, with the Japanese one being a separate purchase only available if Abema thinks you're Japanese.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

nordvpn worked with abema fine as of a few months ago if you want your mahjong fix/japanese ppv access. i plan on trying it if there's another one

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1480139791039545345?s=20

I don't know whether pairing up the two poo poo stirrers in Naito and Nakajima and the two angry men in Kenoh and Shingo is a better dynamic or pairing each guy with their polar opposite. Like Naito can get Kenoh worked up and yelling but the promo dynamic might be weird if Naito can't finish a sentence without Kenoh incoherently yelling. At least Shingo will yell right back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I want Naito vs. Kenoh, they're a match made in wrestling hell. Sweet, beautiful wrestling hell :hellyeah: