Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
is there a multiplayer mod that allows bringing items to someone else's game they've opened? You can even do it via LAN with an application like hamachi, tho the lag might be real bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cartoon Man posted:

Why wait, drop those in the soil now and start propagating more seeds in a seed maker. Put some speed grow down too. You’ll have all of summer and fall to grow fruit every 7 days, even more with speed grow. Feed every fruit to a seed maker and you’ll fill the greenhouse in no time once it’s ready.

Oh I am now in Spring Y2, and this is a good point - I will hurl them into the ground ASAP if I don't get the greenhouse up soon. I do not play very optimally. My roadblock right now is fishes. flippin fishes.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

It was probably a mistake but I took farming mastery first. 90% for the scythe.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

No that's good. The scythe lets you grind more xp faster and thus get your other masteries sooner.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Ever make it to floor 99 of Skull Cavern and then accidentally go back up the ladder trying to eat some food? No? Just me? :smith:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The seed maker has a small chance to create an ancient seed out of any input, period so spamming that with whatever is a way to try get one. Artifact troves too if you can get to the desert and have omni geodes to spare.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I also took farming mastery first and only have it rn. What’s the consensus mastery ranking?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Farming - mining - combat - fishing - foraging for me.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

RandolphCarter posted:

Don’t stress this too much, you’ll get enough exp to the get the others soon enough. Just grab whichever one you think looks cool. I think I had them all maxed out by winter of y2, maybe sooner.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

RandolphCarter posted:

I took the Scythe first too. Fishing second.

I still don't have enough fiber to construct the statue that gives a random blessing each day, so it was 100% for the Scythe!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

I took the Scythe first too. Fishing second.

I still don't have enough fiber to construct the statue that gives a random blessing each day, so it was 100% for the Scythe!

Fiber farming is more important in late game. Lots of new stuff needs it. 999 for the cool statue of blessings. Save a small section of your farm to grow fiber seeds when needed.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Or just go ham on the forest area under the farm on green rain day.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
the statue blessings are a bit of a mixed bag so i wouldn't like prioritize it or whatever, maybe i've just gotten way too many "first 3 fish are easier to catch" blessings. i forget to use it half the time

Avalerion posted:

yeah, green rain day is clutch to the fiber production since you can get so much.

unrelated but I paid to finish out golden walnuts (wasn't that costly since i had most of them) b/c i was getting annoyed at never finding the last fossils i needed for it, and then i remembered that you need a certain item from fossils for completion and now i hate it again. truly the worst walnut thing out of everything on ginger island

Sloober fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 22, 2024

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Avalerion posted:

I went pretty ham on the green rain and still didn't get enough lousy fiber for the lousy statue! :argh:

Fine I guess I'll haul off and plant some lousy fiber seeds...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

I went pretty ham on the green rain and still didn't get enough lousy fiber for the lousy statue! :argh:

Fine I guess I'll haul off and plant some lousy fiber seeds...

Plant at least 200. One fiber seed produces 4-7 fiber.

Another crazy tactic is to plant fiber seeds overtop your fall soil to prevent fertilizers from leaving in the winter. You can leave the fiber alone all winter and harvest it on day 1 of spring and you’ll keep the fertilizer.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 22, 2024

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

Plant at least 200. One fiber seed produces 4-7 fiber.

Another crazy tactic is to plant fiber seeds overtop your fall soil to prevent fertilizers from leaving in the winter. You can leave the fiber alone all winter and harvest it on day 1 of spring and you’ll keep the fertilizer.

That's a heck of a Stardew lifehack. Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

If I had planted a field full of, say, cranberries in fall, would I need to destroy all the plants on the last day of fall, or does the fertilizer still stay on the dead plants when winter rolls over? Meaning I would just have to scythe them away and plant the fiber seeds, and still keep the fertilizer?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

If I had planted a field full of, say, cranberries in fall, would I need to destroy all the plants on the last day of fall, or does the fertilizer still stay on the dead plants when winter rolls over? Meaning I would just have to scythe them away and plant the fiber seeds, and still keep the fertilizer?

i think they just vanish in w1 but i dont recall, if it was any other season they stay in place and have to get scythed

generally speaking winter y1 is where you end up doing farm layout work since up until then it's probably very haphazardly laid out so it may not even be a big deal

Sloober fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 22, 2024

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah you probably have to whack the cranberry bush with a single pickaxe strike to remove it before the fiber. Just be careful not to give it a second whack and remove the fertilizer.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Sloober posted:

the statue blessings are a bit of a mixed bag so i wouldn't like prioritize it or whatever, maybe i've just gotten way too many "first 3 fish are easier to catch" blessings. i forget to use it half the time

Yeah some of the blessings remain awesome forever like increased move speed or luck, some are mediocre like prismatic butterfly or infinite stamina, and then complete zonks like the fishing one or improved friendship gain.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
does anyone have some recs on mods that just make the game more.. uh, challenging? I don't think I mean harder, but something that makes it so entering year 3 I still have a TON of goals I need to meet, vs. a vanilla save where I feel like I have the money printer on and am just wrapping up Perfection.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Radia posted:

does anyone have some recs on mods that just make the game more.. uh, challenging? I don't think I mean harder, but something that makes it so entering year 3 I still have a TON of goals I need to meet, vs. a vanilla save where I feel like I have the money printer on and am just wrapping up Perfection.

Pretty sure you can go into the new farm settings and adjust the percentage of gold that stuff is worth selling. Getting less money drags out the power growth and should be what you’re looking for.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Yes I'm doing that now at 25% and you will spend all day fishing for less than $600, money printer is dead.

That being said you will find ways around it a little bit so it is not just a grind

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Radia posted:

I was looking at stardew valley expanded for this very reason and while it does seem to add a lot of post 2nd year stuff to do, the writing is just kind of... not good in many spots. :(

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Radia posted:

Stardew Valley Expanded will do this for you. It adds a ton of extra quests and objectives after you finish the Community Center. I recommend having a mod that lets you slow or stop time if you play it, though. A lot of the maps that SVE adds are just WAY too drat big to traverse in any reasonable length of time. Seriously it's silly.

I just kind of hit the time stop button any time I have to deal with one of their giant fuckoff maps. Otherwise it's good and I enjoy it a lot.

(And yes their writing is not great so feel free to mash the skip cutscene button.)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I also took farming mastery first and only have it rn. What’s the consensus mastery ranking?

Mine's Farming, Mining, Combat, Foraging, and Fishing. Mining might be fighting for top tier because it'll make Skull Cavern runs easier, which will net you a lot of mastery experience, but Farming is more versatile (Daily Blessings and Animal Crackers for Rabbits). I'm not big on Fishing even with all the 1.6 buffs, and Foraging is like, by the time you need Treasure Totems to finish the Library, you'll definitely already have the Mastery for it, so it's not something you really need to prioritize.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Foraging is actually for the mystic sap which you can trade in for fairy dust at the racoon shop.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Edna Mode posted:

Ever make it to floor 99 of Skull Cavern and then accidentally go back up the ladder trying to eat some food? No? Just me? :smith:

Exact things happened to me for the first time yesterday. Had a magic rock candy buff going still on a max luck day... Rage quit instantly

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Edna Mode posted:

I've for sure been deep in the mines and accidently used a totem to warp back home early when I went to eat.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I think I've decided that I don't especially like Ginger Island. After conquering the Mines and Skull Cavern, completing the Community Center, and building a successful farm, wandering around on golden walnut fetch quests just isn't really fun; it's busywork. The only worthwhile feature, in my mind, is the Forge. I was able to combine my Slime Charmer and Large Glow rings into a single item, and I look forward to upgrading my tools and weapons so that they're OP. Other than that, eh.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

and I look forward to upgrading my tools and weapons so that they're OP.

Which is cool and fun, but of course, by that point you don't really need them anymore.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Ginger Island is stressing me out because I sleep at the farmhouse and I'm NEGLECTING MY WIFE :byodood:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
There's probably a mod where you can have a close friend keep your wife company while you play by yourself on Timesink Island.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Krobus can keep her company

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Don't worry, your spouse will randomly show up at the island on vacation while your children are home alone in the same room as your chests filled with weapons

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Tars Tarkas posted:

Don't worry, your spouse will randomly show up at the island on vacation while your children are home alone in the same room as your chests filled with weapons

that is not cool, stop doxxing me

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Tars Tarkas posted:

I don't think I've had kids since the game came out I always remove the crib as soon as possible

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cartoon Man posted:

The good news is that you need 10 for the island obelisk, 5 for the miniforge, and 1 per island warp totem. Save fifteen and then never worry again, once you build the obelisk the totems arnt needed anymore.

don't you also need them for something at the island trader

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Five for a banana sapling, I usually get those from golden coconuts instead. The field office guy also gives one as a reward for the snake or cow skeleton I think.

Also, you can usually farm 1 or more golden coconuts from all the trees on ginger island every day or so. Don’t chop them down and shake them if you see a coconut attached:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
oh okay I probably shouldn't have bought my first banana that way

I'm also a filthy automate haver so my coconut shaking is fully automated luxury agriculture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004