Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Holy loving poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Well I'm not sure how they're gonna follow that up because drat

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

kumba posted:

Well I'm not sure how they're gonna follow that up because drat

It is the last ep of this season, so they got some time to figure it out before S2 starts

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006
Loved this season of Chompsky's Chips.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

If y’all want to listen to people say nice things about Vic’s Hallmark debut, David Roth’s podcast about hallmark movies covered Round and Round a few weeks ago

https://daveandjebarentmean.libsyn.com/131-live-donut-repeat

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

What would be a good Dimension start off season? I have always wanted to dive into the dnd series

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Wait Vic did a Hallmark movie, and as the lead? Egad, good for em'. Kind of surprised there isn't more of a pipeline from the LA Comedy scene to those cookie cutter joints.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

What would be a good Dimension start off season? I have always wanted to dive into the dnd series

First season, Fantasy High is probably the best intro, second episode ends in a show-defining moment. It's also the first time a couple of the "main cast" had ever played dnd, so you get to see them get their sea legs. Has *incredible* running gags too.

Otherwise it's all up to your interests. The shorter seasons might be a good way to dip your toes in – Escape the Bloodkeep is the most 'classic dnd' where the players play the fantasy bad guys in a Lord of the Rings story, fighting the fellowship in one episode. Tiny Heist is pretty comical and has a bunch of the McElroy's if you know them. Mice and Murder is a murder mystery with limited combat but an all Dropout cast so very fun.

Starstruck Odyssey (space capitalist survival) and Unsleeping City (dnd but set in New York City baby) are also dope.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 18, 2024

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Mentopolis is the only D20 I've fully watched so far and it was a better fit for me than the other couple that I've started. It's using a really stripped down ruleset.

The cast is all really good and I hope they find more things to use Alex in. Hank Green is in it and his character threatens people with aggressively delivered science facts.

The setting is a metaphorical city representing a person's mind where the characters are all personified character traits and things. There's lots of opportunities for all sorts of dumb jokes.

I'm personally planning to try The Seven next, just because that crew is loving delightful chaos energy together in everything I've seen them in

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

flatluigi posted:

i think this falls into the fallacy of assuming these are the same people complaining, instead of a shift leading into a different subset of voices becoming louder.

No, its very much a thing that a lot of Real Play troupes deal with. People engage more when its a system they're comfortable with and once you get out of DnD its kind of a fractured wild west. DnD is most peoples intro to the hobby so its kind of the baseline. Its rarely anyone's favorite but most are okay with it. Like when you and your friends argue all night about where to go for dinner and just sort of give in and get the pizza from the joint across the street for the 800th time.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

T.C. posted:

I'm personally planning to try The Seven next, just because that crew is loving delightful chaos energy together in everything I've seen them in

You have chosen wisely..

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

CatstropheWaitress posted:

First season, Fantasy High is probably the best intro, second episode ends in a show-defining moment. It's also the first time a couple of the "main cast" had ever played dnd, so you get to see them get their sea legs. Has *incredible* running gags too.

Otherwise it's all up to your interests.

Yeah getting to know the Bad Kids ASAP is a good plan, Starstruck is wild good, Bloodkeep is fun once you know going in that everyone's character just wants to needle each other, and Misfits & Magic is short, sweet, and has like 3 of the most meme-able moments in D20 history in one loving 4-minute segment

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'd just go from the top and watch chronologically, all the seasons are fun. you can skip monster high though for a few reasons

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No, its very much a thing that a lot of Real Play troupes deal with. People engage more when its a system they're comfortable with and once you get out of DnD its kind of a fractured wild west. DnD is most peoples intro to the hobby so its kind of the baseline. Its rarely anyone's favorite but most are okay with it. Like when you and your friends argue all night about where to go for dinner and just sort of give in and get the pizza from the joint across the street for the 800th time.

I don't think you're responding to the same thing I was responding to, which was the suggestion that the people that want other systems to be tried are also not going to watch if other systems are tried

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, that's an important point to make. There was a study from a few years ago where one of the virtual tabletop sites tracked what it had going on, and D&D made up just over 50% of the games it had running at any given time. No other single game broke the 10% mark. Even its biggest competitor, Pathfinder, is essentially D&D's dopey pansexual nephew.

As such, D&D 5e is essentially indistinguishable from the hobby as a whole, even after Wizards' repeated blunders. It's just got too much cultural momentum.

"Bloodkeep" is good for a starter series. It's shorter, has an immediate hook, and it's Rekha's first time playing, so the mechanical elements of the game go at a slow and comprehensible clip for her sake.

If that grabs you, go back and get started on the rest.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Watching the finale and I have to agree not enough was done to make the bulk of the Rat Grinders into real villains. Kipperlily's been great – but the rest feel incredibly sympathetic, which makes the cast laughing as they kill them a bit jarring. Suppose they were accessories in Lucy's death.

That and despite a few wrenches thrown at them at the top of the season, they haven't really been on the back foot very much. Had the expulsion threat, but that got resolved in the next couple eps. Multi-classing wildly, but they ended up succeeding across the board in it. Fabien shits himself, but that doesn't really hurt his popularity at all.

All to say, it altogether makes it so The Rat Grinders never really felt like they had an edge, which makes their slaughter... a little off.

Imagine the finale might address that!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Even in the case of Kipperlily, they're all kids who were normal kids who were then deliberately shaped for three years by a teacher, who was meant to be looking after them and who they trusted, after them into monsters. They're all victims here.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 18, 2024

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Yeah.

Brennan's realization that the lava was only a hazard for his NPC's was fantastic.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
What they really needed was an earlier fight against the rat grinders, or a team up against a third-party villain, to give them more of a presence. Just have them kill the party and then an adventure as Bill Seacaster and Pog Gukgak team up to bust them out of hell.

Right now the ratgrinders mostly seem like they need therapy.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, that's an important point to make. There was a study from a few years ago where one of the virtual tabletop sites tracked what it had going on, and D&D made up just over 50% of the games it had running at any given time. No other single game broke the 10% mark. Even its biggest competitor, Pathfinder, is essentially D&D's dopey pansexual nephew.

As such, D&D 5e is essentially indistinguishable from the hobby as a whole, even after Wizards' repeated blunders. It's just got too much cultural momentum.

"Bloodkeep" is good for a starter series. It's shorter, has an immediate hook, and it's Rekha's first time playing, so the mechanical elements of the game go at a slow and comprehensible clip for her sake.

If that grabs you, go back and get started on the rest.
The Pathfinder defender has entered the thread: First edition Pathfinder was D&D 3.5's dopey pansexual nephew. In second edition they grew up, they got hot, and they went full genderfuck. Or to let that metaphor die, Pathfinder first edition was a direct continuation of D&D 3.5, with all its many warts, for all the people who loved those warts and hated D&D 4. I played it and found it... about on par with D&D 3.5, which is to say a fun system for build-crafting but definitely not a good system overall. For second edition they completely rewrote everything from the ground up. The rules and balance are now drastically better than D&D's - they've got the build versatility of 3.5, the tactical crunch of 4th and most of the simplicity of 5th, plus official campaigns that are actually good, plus all rules legally available for free online, plus a company that's not going to yank the rug out from under the entire ecosystem like WotC tried to with the OGL. I've played a lot of both, I now run Pathfinder exclusively, and I am never ever going back.

Now it absolutely lacks D&D's market share and brand recognition, especially since they've divested themselves of the remaining OGL stuff with 2.5e, so it makes sense for Dimension 20 to stick with D&D as a business decision. But if you want to run a game for yourself and you want a combat-oriented system in the vein of D&D then you should absolutely run Pathfinder.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Morrow posted:

What they really needed was an earlier fight against the rat grinders, or a team up against a third-party villain, to give them more of a presence. Just have them kill the party and then an adventure as Bill Seacaster and Pog Gukgak team up to bust them out of hell.

Right now the ratgrinders mostly seem like they need therapy.

I mean, that is kind of the point, the Rat Grinders just needed therapy. Instead Porter undermined them and turned them into weapons to point at his enemies, poorly.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

If you just want a quick taste of the vibe of D20, then Misfits and Magic or Mentopolis are both excellent series. Misfits is very short and sweet and Mentopolis is an all-timer for BITS--neither are D&D though. If you wanna get started on D&D, others' suggestions about starting with Fantasy High seasion one is good. I myself watched Misfits and THEN Starstruck Odyssey (it's like a two-degrees hack of D&D 5e. Someone hacked it to be star wars and then hacked it to be Starstruck) and was thoroughly hooked.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

They're all good. Start at the beginning.

Or Blood keep if you want something shorter.

But really start at the beginning.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The only way to begin is by beginning

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

karmicknight posted:

I mean, that is kind of the point, the Rat Grinders just needed therapy. Instead Porter undermined them and turned them into weapons to point at his enemies, poorly.

What I've been wondering is if, due to the comparatively freeform nature of this season, the Rat Grinders are essentially a dead plot thread.

We know from context that Oisin and likely Ivy were both in on this part of the whole plan from the jump. That was the point of the discovery in Ruben's house that somebody had been practicing how to write magical runes on curved objects; Oisin was only at that initial party so he could throw a bunch of enchanted ping-pong balls around, which stayed there because Fabian sucks at housekeeping, and which let them propel the ship into the air.

However, Oisin also expressed a seemingly sincere interest in Adaine, but Siobhan didn't focus on that in favor of going after Adaine's pre-existing story hooks. Likewise, Fabian could've ended up dating Ivy, but he had a bad roll on that initial social interaction and went after Mazey instead. Only Fig bothered targeting her evil duplicate Rat Grinder, and she did so with the Wanda Childa headfuck where they never had a single sincere conversation.

Essentially, there's a version of this season where it's the Bad Kids vs. their personal Injustice League, but it just didn't happen. If you go back and think about all the branch points, sometimes it came down to as little as a single roll. The Last Stand in particular could've gone a lot worse.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

^To that point, felt like Brennan was teeing up a scene where Fig would have a moment with Ruben before she slays him. I get the sense he was also surprised she chose to RP that moment as "It was me the whole time, I never cared about you, and I'm going to loving kill you" instead of something more empathetic/serious.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I watched Brennan's episode of VIP, and what the gently caress happened

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

He’s from the woods

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I'm really really digging Fabian's absolutely insane Bill Seacaster-esque bloodlust. Grabs Ivy by the throat, tells her he's going to skin her alive, and then fuckin' does it.

I would wager Bill has never been more proud of Fabian. That whole moment was so insanely good.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I have skipped multiple pages to avoid D20 spoilers because I'm very far behind, to say that this last ep of VIP is loving amazing.

"I must have been blasted" and wheezing laughter from offscreen

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

flatluigi posted:

it's 'good enough' for a lot of things (especially the more house rules you throw on top of it), but there's absolutely systems that provide better support for noncombat situations as well as frameworks to introduce interesting complications to gameplay in general.

Brennan's actually spoken about this in interviews. One of the things that gets lost in some of this is that, at least from his perspective, he and the players don't need that kind of support, and in his case, he doesn't even really want it. They're professional improvisers and storytellers--they don't need or want rules guiding them on their storytelling because that's what they do already. The part of the game that Brennan is least interested in fully improvising is combat, and so he likes that combat is where the bulk of D&D's rules are.

It's one of those things where like... yeah, there are systems that are objectively better at X, Y, or Z, but this is also a hobby--as a GM, a player, a performer, or an audience member--where objectivity doesn't really factor into the real experience.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
sure, but he's also talked about hating when a dice roll doesn't fit the roleplay he's being given by his players & he's also house-ruled in several things other systems do when d&d is lacking in those respects

i know systems conversations tend to take the form of arguing at ghosts of other conversations that happened in the past with other people, but I do want to make it clear that I personally think it's fine that brennan is doing what he's doing with dungeons and dragons in dimension 20 and just would like to see what's already happened continue where other systems are brought in and shown off sometimes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh definitely, no argument there. I've very much enjoyed the Kids on Bikes-variant seasons and I wished there was more of Good Society in ACOFAF since it seemed like an interesting system.

I also would love to see a non-D&D Intrepid Heroes season. I don't really expect it or anything, but it'd be a fun twist.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 19, 2024

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I feel like I just watched a wrestling match between Vic and Brennan fighting over the narrative control. it was awesome

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Harrow posted:

I also would love to see a non-D&D Intrepid Heroes season. I don't really expect it or anything, but it'd be a fun twist.

murph and emily are playing in a pathfinder two-shot starting next week over on naddpod

also everyone should listen to naddpod just generally

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Chompsky's Chips!

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Nick Soapdish posted:

Chompsky's Chips!

They make chips the old fashioned way!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

whydirt posted:

He’s from the woods

I knew this was going to be special the moment where, after seemingly spending most of his prep time working out one character, he tosses that it in the trash in favor of "I'm from the woods" and just seeing where that takes them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I wonder if Sam has been there for all the episodes or if he just came to watch Brennan cook.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

what do you mean, he's been there the whole time

Inaction Jackson
Feb 28, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I wonder if Sam has been there for all the episodes or if he just came to watch Brennan cook.
I definitely thought I’d heard his laugh before while the guests have been workshopping characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Brian is allowed to leave but stays on set regardless.

Sam is always, has always been, and shall always be there the whole time.