Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Captain Log posted:

Sleepy Serra wants Scritches.

https://youtu.be/4nfIUjyF8y4

Those sure were some good scritches.

Something I have been meaning to ask you is whether Serra is named after Serra Angel.

If I guessed wrong and you don't want to explain the actual meaning behind the name for whatever reason, a simple "No" will do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Inglonias posted:

Those sure were some good scritches.

Something I have been meaning to ask you is whether Serra is named after Serra Angel.

If I guessed wrong and you don't want to explain the actual meaning behind the name for whatever reason, a simple "No" will do.

She is named after Matt "The Terra" Serra, the ex-champ MMA/BJJ fighter.

I have a tradition of naming birds and fish after MMA fighters because I find it hilarious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Serra

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Jose Oquendo posted:

My grey got me good today. He was sitting with me getting some lovin. He likes the feathers by his beak scratched. He was into it but for reasons unknown he changed his mind and showed it by getting my pinky finger. It was a real gusher :(

Ouch 😞 that's so painful. I always feel a bit sad and unloved when Pookie is mean for no reason like that. Is he a bit quilly at the moment maybe?

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010
Hi everyone! I've been following this thread for a long time, and am thinking of buying my first bird - I'm moving into my first non-shared apartment, so it seems like a good time. Does anyone have any experience with Kakarikis, or red-crowned parakeets? The only bird seller I've been able to find anywhere near me has a variety of budgies, finches and cockatiels, but they also have a few of these breed, and they seem adorable!

Beyond that, I'm a little bit nervous about becoming a pet owner. I'm pretty sure I'm aware of most of the things that would normally trip people up, like making sure I don't have any teflon or aerosols in the house, but I'm still worried that I might miss something important. If anyone has any advice for a first time bird keeper, I'd be happy to take it!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Pookah posted:

Ouch 😞 that's so painful. I always feel a bit sad and unloved when Pookie is mean for no reason like that. Is he a bit quilly at the moment maybe?

Nah. He's never been a cuddly bird and I'm not sure why. He was not raised around little kids who poke and prod. I am the only human who can actually give him scritches with only a hand, everyone else has to use something like a pen. He just decides, 'nope not anymore'

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Jose Oquendo posted:

Nah. He's never been a cuddly bird and I'm not sure why. He was not raised around little kids who poke and prod. I am the only human who can actually give him scritches with only a hand, everyone else has to use something like a pen. He just decides, 'nope not anymore'

Greys really are just a bit weird aren't they? So many personal rules and quirks that you are just supposed to automatically know and when you 'forget' they get all shocked and outraged. Like, how could you possibly forget that I only like broccoli on Wednesdays when it's raining, unless it's autumn then of course I must have broccoli.

No, not that broccoli, are you INSANE?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Pookah posted:

Greys really are just a bit weird aren't they? So many personal rules and quirks that you are just supposed to automatically know and when you 'forget' they get all shocked and outraged. Like, how could you possibly forget that I only like broccoli on Wednesdays when it's raining, unless it's autumn then of course I must have broccoli.

No, not that broccoli, are you INSANE?

So what you're saying is that Greys are tiny Karens.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Kenshin posted:

So what you're saying is that Greys are tiny Karens.

Ah now, that's a bit mean. A grey would never call the manager or the cops on you, they'd just give you a straightforward, honest bite.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Captain Log posted:

She is named after Matt "The Terra" Serra, the ex-champ MMA/BJJ fighter.

I have a tradition of naming birds and fish after MMA fighters because I find it hilarious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Serra

You're right. It is hilarious. Though from where I sit, that bird is still an angel of some sort. Has the feathers and everything.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 10, 2020

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

She's much prettier than her namesake.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://i.imgur.com/oE8984A.mp4

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Is it just me or does it appear those maccaws have beaks that could crack open a human skull like a big ol nut?

:parrot:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

bee posted:

Is it just me or does it appear those maccaws have beaks that could crack open a human skull like a big ol nut?

:eng101: Fun fact! Hyacinth macaws have to have specialty cages because they have incredibly strong bite strength and can bend/break normal cage bars! I think they are also known as gentle giants, but they def could cause some damage if they latched on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

"That's it lady; You keep petting my buddies in your arms there. Big smiles for the camera, everybody's happy and nobody gets Nipped..."

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

bee posted:

They can def puncture things like you said but that is only if it was shittly handled and trained.

If I had a choice to handle a well trained hyacinth and a badly trained cockatiel, I would always choose the hyacinth.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Shirec posted:

:eng101: Fun fact! Hyacinth macaws have to have specialty cages because they have incredibly strong bite strength and can bend/break normal cage bars! I think they are also known as gentle giants, but they def could cause some damage if they latched on.

When I was a kid our family adopted a scarlet macaw from a friend of a friend. There were a lot of reasons why he had to give up the bird, but the straw that broke the camels back is when the bird broke the guy’s girlfriend’s finger.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Jose Oquendo posted:

When I was a kid our family adopted a scarlet macaw from a friend of a friend. There were a lot of reasons why he had to give up the bird, but the straw that broke the camels back is when the bird broke the guy’s girlfriend’s finger.

:stare:

Sweet Jesus. Being a friend of the local parrot shop, I see all sorts of bites and punctures. One time, a startled Moluccan punched straight through a person's hand. But breaking a finger?! That's unreal.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Big parrots are hella strong. When I was a kid I was giving a cockatoo a scritch and it suddenly decided to latch onto my finger. It busted my fingernail in two and wouldn't let go until my Dad sprayed it with the hose :(

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

The biggest parrot I met was a hybrid macaw: blue and gold and military (!!) cross. Enormous bird, and super sweet. His name was Valentine and if we hadn't been going through our Spencer trials and tribulations it would have been a serious consideration to adopt him.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I don't know if big macaws are naturally friendly birds or if it's just that anyone willing and able to spend that much money on a parrot is going to socialize/train them well. Every Hyacinth I've seen was a cuddlebug.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I put a post on Discord about one of my parakeets, Yellow, becoming ill. The vet kindly says she isn't genetically gifted, meaning she was probably bred irresponsibly by who knows who for the yellow mutation. I think it's half albino? Anyways, Yellow wasn't looking great and I was worried about losing one of my flock. I know she won't be around forever, but seeing her ill and obviously in distress tore me up.

Well, you'll never guess who played nurse to Yellow. Her mate, Blue, spent the next two days shuttling food up to her, lovingly barfing it into her mouth. Preening her and singing to her. After a little bit I even saw him corral her down to the food dish.

Blue, you're a good birb. Thank you for making sure Yellow is always comfy, happy, and full of your vomit. :derptiel:

Rare Photo of Yellow and Blue taken tonight.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Gosh that's so sweet :3 I hope that Yellow is feeling better!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

Captain Log posted:

I put a post on Discord about one of my parakeets, Yellow, becoming ill. The vet kindly says she isn't genetically gifted, meaning she was probably bred irresponsibly by who knows who for the yellow mutation. I think it's half albino? Anyways, Yellow wasn't looking great and I was worried about losing one of my flock. I know she won't be around forever, but seeing her ill and obviously in distress tore me up.

Well, you'll never guess who played nurse to Yellow. Her mate, Blue, spent the next two days shuttling food up to her, lovingly barfing it into her mouth. Preening her and singing to her. After a little bit I even saw him corral her down to the food dish.

Blue, you're a good birb. Thank you for making sure Yellow is always comfy, happy, and full of your vomit. :derptiel:

Rare Photo of Yellow and Blue taken tonight.

Bred irresponsibly? Maybe, but you need to understand something. A mutation for a parakeet* is anything that doesn't look like the budgie below.

That includes your cobalt blue budgie! Not even sure what your vet is even speaking about and would actually make me consider investigating for another one but that's just my experience.

Your yellow budgie is not a lutino since it doesn't have red eyes (like albinos) but there is nothing wrong with it. The color is very common actually. The only color that a budgie really can't produce is red. They can get to some pretty wild colors like purple

*I'll call them budgiegar / budgie since that term is the accurate name for these small birds.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I assume "bred irresponsibly" means inbreeding amongst the same population, instead of trading birds with other breeders to keep the genetic pool fresh. Obviously the color mutations needs selection of birds to bring together, but that doesn't necessitate inbreeding.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Irresponsible breeding, like how a lot of lutino cockatiels have bald spots behind the crest that are indicative of inbreeding. Mutations themselves are not irresponsible.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Inbred, poorly bred, and bred purely for profit (with bad genetics passed onto offspring) are all extremely common unfortunately in budgies/parakeets, especially in the United States. It's common practice here to have pet stores with the 'bin of budgies' setup where there are tens, possibly hundreds in the same enclosure and they are all just poorly bred and don't live very long. This is opposed to responsible breeders who breed any mutation carefully in order to ensure that the birds have the best health possible, or even just a decent lifespan.

For the longest time because of poor breeding and the petstores encouraged poor care I was completely ignorant that budgies could live past 7 years, should eat more than just 'seed' and were actually intelligent.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Petsmart is so gross. Also I manually altered that back to the "incorrect" capitalization because gently caress your corporate whore autocorrect, phone!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i've seen linnies scared in a cage, literally half the size of my dude because of irresponsible breeding. it makes me pretty desperately angry as there's really very little i can do about it.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Oh that's horrible. :(

Here you can only get linnies through a breeder and the waiting list is quite lengthy. Even getting a budgie from a breeder can take up to a year or more here.

SuperKlaus posted:

Petsmart is so gross. Also I manually altered that back to the "incorrect" capitalization because gently caress your corporate whore autocorrect, phone!

I assumed the PetSmart near my old place got their budgies through a breeder because Banane looked so much like the recessive pieds from this one breeder in Ottawa and he was super tame. I just messaged her and she has never sold birds to a pet shop, however.

Yellow's light colored cere and black eyes leads me to believe she is also a recessive pied. Does she have a white eye ring at all or do they appear like solid black beads?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I can never record him when I want to because he freezes when I pull out the camera, so I just set the phone down and recorded about 6 minutes of him going through his routine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAMgAmOgWbA

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Loved the whole thing.

*belch*

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

NAME REDACTED posted:

Hi everyone! I've been following this thread for a long time, and am thinking of buying my first bird - I'm moving into my first non-shared apartment, so it seems like a good time. Does anyone have any experience with Kakarikis, or red-crowned parakeets? The only bird seller I've been able to find anywhere near me has a variety of budgies, finches and cockatiels, but they also have a few of these breed, and they seem adorable!

Beyond that, I'm a little bit nervous about becoming a pet owner. I'm pretty sure I'm aware of most of the things that would normally trip people up, like making sure I don't have any teflon or aerosols in the house, but I'm still worried that I might miss something important. If anyone has any advice for a first time bird keeper, I'd be happy to take it!

I've only ever interacted with (and sold) one kakariki, so ymmv, but I liked him a lot. Very friendly, surprisingly good talker, quietly burbly, and all around easy to train. It's like somebody crossed a parakeet and a caique for the best traits of both.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Chaosfeather posted:

Inbred, poorly bred, and bred purely for profit (with bad genetics passed onto offspring) are all extremely common unfortunately in budgies/parakeets, especially in the United States. It's common practice here to have pet stores with the 'bin of budgies' setup where there are tens, possibly hundreds in the same enclosure and they are all just poorly bred and don't live very long. This is opposed to responsible breeders who breed any mutation carefully in order to ensure that the birds have the best health possible, or even just a decent lifespan.

For the longest time because of poor breeding and the petstores encouraged poor care I was completely ignorant that budgies could live past 7 years, should eat more than just 'seed' and were actually intelligent.

I loathe pet smart so much.

The reason I was so vitrol-ful was the fact the single picture wasn't good and just showed two budgie and didnt see any obvious defects.

To let people know, I was part of the american budgiegar society (with my dad and brother) about 20 years ago where you raise and show off english budgies. The judging was very severe if they saw anything suggesting poor environments these budgies grew up in. I saw a member get kicked out because he kept slamming his cages to make the birds "calm down". No one there supported or condoned treating these budgies like poo poo.

Sorry if my answer was judgemental.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Jose Oquendo posted:

I can never record him when I want to because he freezes when I pull out the camera, so I just set the phone down and recorded about 6 minutes of him going through his routine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAMgAmOgWbA

Just listened to the whole thing with Pookie and she thought it was very interesting As a human observer, its genuinely weird how many of Hannah's sounds are so familiar, given that Pookie has lived with humans for practically her whole life. Grey just really like beeps, boops and clicks :3:

edit: shes exactly the same when it comes to being filmed - total freeze-up when she thinks anyone is paying close attention.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Maybe I bumblefucked how I relayed the message - The conversation wasn't "Look at this color, this parakeet is bad" it was "She came from Petsmart, is somewhat undersized but weirdly shaped while living on the same diet as another parakeet that's thriving. People breeding for big box stores don't care about anything they are doing."

Her mate, Blue, is as healthy as a horse. But I thought the same thing of my last male and he died of violent strokes at four years old. Blue thrives on his vet supervised diet, while Yellow just kinda sits there, looking perturbed.

I loathe to support big box pet stores, but I also think those birds deserve a loving home, too. In Tennessee where I got Yellow, there aren't any responsible breeders with a store front. You're either playing Breeder Roulette, or going to a big box.

I go to the one certified avian vet in the state where I live now. I trust her more than I trusted the "Avian AND lizard AND Horse" vets in Tennessee and Kansas.

In my experience, big box parakeets make it about four to six years. Compared to their more careful bred compatriots, that's short.

Yellow, yet again, seems to have been brought back from the brink by Blue. She is actually doing happy wing flaps while clinging to her perch and chasing Blue around again. Call me crazy, but I think Blue was a nurse in a past life.

P. S. If reincarnation is a thing, I'm going to spend a few lifetimes as a parrot next go round.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Cpt. Log, the last couple of budgies I've cared for have been physically weird. Mr Man was tiny and was always kind of crumpled-looking, Miss Lady always had a deformed wing. Both lived well into old age, Mr Man even survived a terrifyingly complete crush injury to recover entirely and live another 5 or so years afterwards. I'm not entirely sure where I'm going with this except to say that budgies are weird and tough and even the bocketiest booges can live long, exceptionally dramatic lives.

They are just marvellous little drama queens :kimchi:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Captain Log posted:

Maybe I bumblefucked how I relayed the message - The conversation wasn't "Look at this color, this parakeet is bad" it was "She came from Petsmart, is somewhat undersized but weirdly shaped while living on the same diet as another parakeet that's thriving. People breeding for big box stores don't care about anything they are doing."

Her mate, Blue, is as healthy as a horse. But I thought the same thing of my last male and he died of violent strokes at four years old. Blue thrives on his vet supervised diet, while Yellow just kinda sits there, looking perturbed.

I loathe to support big box pet stores, but I also think those birds deserve a loving home, too. In Tennessee where I got Yellow, there aren't any responsible breeders with a store front. You're either playing Breeder Roulette, or going to a big box.

I go to the one certified avian vet in the state where I live now. I trust her more than I trusted the "Avian AND lizard AND Horse" vets in Tennessee and Kansas.

In my experience, big box parakeets make it about four to six years. Compared to their more careful bred compatriots, that's short.

Yellow, yet again, seems to have been brought back from the brink by Blue. She is actually doing happy wing flaps while clinging to her perch and chasing Blue around again. Call me crazy, but I think Blue was a nurse in a past life.

P. S. If reincarnation is a thing, I'm going to spend a few lifetimes as a parrot next go round.

Blue and Yellow are my otp

(seriously though, Yellow won the pet store birb lottery with both her owner and her mate)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Perfect. Just. Perfect.

Youth Decay posted:

Blue and Yellow are my otp

(seriously though, Yellow won the pet store birb lottery with both her owner and her mate)

:downs: :respek: :derptiel:

Pookah posted:

Cpt. Log, the last couple of budgies I've cared for have been physically weird. Mr Man was tiny and was always kind of crumpled-looking, Miss Lady always had a deformed wing. Both lived well into old age, Mr Man even survived a terrifyingly complete crush injury to recover entirely and live another 5 or so years afterwards. I'm not entirely sure where I'm going with this except to say that budgies are weird and tough and even the bocketiest booges can live long, exceptionally dramatic lives.

They are just marvellous little drama queens :kimchi:

I will give Yellow some credit - she has come back from the brink, twice. She never progressed to the cage floor stage, but it was close - tail drop, vomit, heavy breathing, closed eyes while obviously awake, not moving away from a hand.

She is a tough middle aged birb. And has Blue (AoE +5 to Bird Health)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

So this is what happens when I forget to cook the egg in my burrito?