Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

https://twitter.com/NeillBlomkamp/status/1660575027576668162

:thunk:

I'm sure he's just playing it, but now I'm trying to imagine what a Blomkamp Doom movie would be like

Pretty drat good I'd say! Sharlto Copley for Doomslayer guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Just make Hardcore Henry but set it in hell.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx55zOYnlEg

Came into my videos tab again and now I'm sad. Sad that Mick got shafted so hard, sad that the full Rip and Tear chant didn't make it into the game proper.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx55zOYnlEg

Came into my videos tab again and now I'm sad. Sad that Mick got shafted so hard, sad that the full Rip and Tear chant didn't make it into the game proper.

It's in...meathook? Pretty sure

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MJBuddy posted:

It's in...meathook? Pretty sure

Not the part where they start chanting in English.

Around 3:13 in the video. As far as I can see the full chant was never included in gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ga5r-IhywE

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

https://twitter.com/NeillBlomkamp/status/1660575027576668162

:thunk:

I'm sure he's just playing it, but now I'm trying to imagine what a Blomkamp Doom movie would be like

Paper-thin plot but stylish as gently caress.

Which is exactly what a Doom movie should be really.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Not that particular version of the chant you linked to, but there are English chants of Rip and Tear in both Meathook and Gladiator, I'm not sure if those parts are played in game, but they're on the soundtrack.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1794081531964916164?t=nWJVOyrX_GkDtM2kODTxXw&s=19

Just make a new Quake at this point.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Quake is literally already medieval Doom, wtf.

It'll probably still own, but

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
More doom. I am happy.

A couple months ago, id had been messing with Doom Eternal, and Steamdb showed that one file they were adding was DoomModPortal.exe. Are we really going to get mod tools? Is it a red herring? The game would truly become eternal that way. Even if it wasn't as powerful as Doom1/2's map makers were, it would still be awesome.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So, Heretic? I do wonder if this is actually being made by id or if it's a spinoff by some other studio.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What are the chances that the new game will not have suffered the same development issues as Eternal?

I loved Eternal much more than most people and I'm still pretty sure that it's development was a complete loving mess.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well it won't have Mick Gordon doing the music, that's for certain. Hopefully David Levy and Andrew Hulshult stuck around and don't get dicked over the same way.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Arc Hammer posted:

Just make a new Quake at this point.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They should call it Quake 4.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

There is already a quake 4 and it's entire existence is justified by the strogg-ficiation level. That was some great body horror.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I wonder if they'll go Evil dead 3 rout, so doom guy still has a shot gun.

And doom guy being utterly incompetent at everything that isn't demon slaying.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I think I made this post already but the Quake II remaster is easily the best game from 1997 released last year. The new campaign, Call of the Machine, is several hours of some of the best custom maps ever made. Like you'd expect, modern particle effects and updated models look awesome at 100 fps, but the campaign also takes the liberty of making huge levels with armies of enemies that would never have worked in the late 90s and it's glorious.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
medieval world means im betting on dark ages being the prequel to doom 2016, the whole shebang with the fall of argent d'nur, the betrayal, and doomguy freaking the gently caress out and going on a massive rampage that only ends when hell drops an entire building on his head only to stuff him in a stasis coffin because it only knocked him out

interested to see what the weapons would be like if so, there's a couple of sentinel tech weapons in eternal plus your ever faithful super shotty but most of it is human tech and the cultist rocket launcher

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

toasterwarrior posted:

medieval world means im betting on dark ages being the prequel to doom 2016, the whole shebang with the fall of argent d'nur, the betrayal, and doomguy freaking the gently caress out and going on a massive rampage that only ends when hell drops an entire building on his head only to stuff him in a stasis coffin because it only knocked him out

interested to see what the weapons would be like if so, there's a couple of sentinel tech weapons in eternal plus your ever faithful super shotty but most of it is human tech and the cultist rocket launcher

makes sense, there's some good enough gaps in the lore to work with, between "hey, welcome to Argent D'nur, be a gladiator and don't die" ---> "you're now a warrior king, go kill them pesky demons that showed up" ----> "oh hey welcome to mars, we found you in a coffin, oh I'm a robot, you don't know me"

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
The thing I didn't like most about Eternal, making Doom guy a dude from a world of knights and going slightly Elder Scrolls with it, is not what I would want in a sequel going hard into.

Will I buy it like every other Doom? What are you crazy? Of course..

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Doom love and thunder coming up

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Diabetic posted:

The thing I didn't like most about Eternal, making Doom guy a dude from a world of knights and going slightly Elder Scrolls with it, is not what I would want in a sequel going hard into.

don't worry, this setting would make it a prequel,

also tbf, doomguy wasnt a dude from a world of knights, he was an american space marine who traveled through space and time and hell and ended up passing through a world of knights

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

toasterwarrior posted:

don't worry, this setting would make it a prequel,

also tbf, doomguy wasnt a dude from a world of knights, he was an american space marine who traveled through space and time and hell and ended up passing through a world of knights

doomguy just gets so angry that he is able to completely bypass the linear progression of time. Argent Energy is pitifully weak compared to Mad.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

he was an american space marine who traveled through space and time and hell and ended up passing through a world of knights

fairly sure I saw this at blockbuster

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My wonder is if they'll stick with the hard counter quickswap gameplay of Eternal or if they'll go in a new direction.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I would very much rather they go back to "every weapon is viable" ala 2016, but keep the weakpoint mechanic from Eternal

Can't wait to see what they one-up the Marauder with (just remove the drat shield and it would've made for a much better enemy...or at least make it vulnerable to the Plasma Gun)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
that's funny, because i feel like every weapon is viable and part of the cycle in eternal, with the weakest (plasma gun) still having its niches

meanwhile in 2016 i deffo had no use for the combat shotty, chaingun, and plasma gun after certain points. and the pistol of course

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If they're really doing heavy metal medieval shooter I hope they aren't too precious with the weapon arsenal. Doom's traditional lineup is great but I would prefer they do weapons a bit more on the archaic and magical side to fit the theme.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

sounds heretical

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arc Hammer posted:

My wonder is if they'll stick with the hard counter quickswap gameplay of Eternal or if they'll go in a new direction.

Going to go full retro and dig up the mechanics from Carmack much beloved Doom RPG game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

AnEdgelord posted:

If they're really doing heavy metal medieval shooter I hope they aren't too precious with the weapon arsenal. Doom's traditional lineup is great but I would prefer they do weapons a bit more on the archaic and magical side to fit the theme.

Agreed. If there does end up being a melee focus, I hope it's 50/50, max. Something like Space Marine, where you're pretty much using both forms of combat equally.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
at the very least there's story reasons why doomguy would still have good ole super shotty and the arbalest

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Doom Guy carrying the super shotty and shoving random scrap metal into the barrels to maintain the close range death blast. :allears: Grapple hook still works the same.

Considering how the last DLC ended this idea seems pretty cool.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If Ash Williams can bring a shotgun to medieval times so can Doomguy. It's basically the only modern weapon that SHOULD carry over into the new game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Every weapon was "viable" in 2016 because a lot of enemies were just inept.

I really hope they don't balance the game around people that refuse to switch away from super shotgun.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Every weapon was "viable" in 2016 because a lot of enemies were just inept.

I really hope they don't balance the game around people that refuse to switch away from super shotgun.

I agree, but they could probably do something to the easy difficulty to let you play that way. While Eternal's easy difficulty is really easy in the sense that it takes ages for demons to kill you, the game still ends up feeling bad to play if you don't engage with the mechanics, and I think that's part of why some people didn't like it.

I think Eternal's on-ramp was probably a bit too steep. I didn't really like the game until around Super Gore Nest on the first playthrough, because the early levels love locking you in small rooms with demons that do a lot of damage. Those levels are fine on a second playthrough, because at that point, you've learned the mechanics, but they don't feel good the first time.

Esran fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 25, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
They've had a while to work on it, so I assume gameplay wise it won't just be a direct re-hash of either of the newest dooms mechanics.

Although which direction they go who knows. Medieval setting is pretty suggestive of melee combat being more important. Which for a doom game doesn't seem the best fit, but Current ID has shown they're still some of the best around when it comes to FPS gameplay mechanics, so not really worried it they'll poo poo the bed with it or anything.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I definitely agree that gameplay-wise Eternal's introduction doesn't feel great.
The combat is explicitly designed for you to use all of your tools together, which is great, but you don't get all of the basic tools until half-way through Cultist Base, IIRC, so you feel really gimped up until that.

Like I said earlier, Eternal is a mess despite also being the absolute best at what it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
i legit want to see id tackle melee centric combat because as far as im concerned they loving solved ranged combat. only fatshark has done great melee fps combat in this entire industry. gotta find new lands and shores to conquer