Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mx. posted:

Lol yeah chalcedony is the best

Whats a good team to build around her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I just run three chalcedony and the construct hero class for maximum gently caress you
Or elementalist for freezing enemies so if I get unlucky it's fine

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mx. posted:

I just run three chalcedony and the construct hero class for maximum gently caress you
Or elementalist for freezing enemies so if I get unlucky it's fine

Well I guess I don't have her lmao

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

Can I get an invite to a goon guild please? AADES_YFNY

I haven't played in a few years, there's a lot of new buttons in these menus.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Aades posted:

Can I get an invite to a goon guild please? AADES_YFNY

Invite sent!

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Aades posted:

Come to the Discord as well, there's some (modern) guides and things and stuff there

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

Thanks y'all. Can you resend the guild invite? That first one didn't come through. AADES_YFNY

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
Chalcedony is great and so are the two clones. I like Seekra Darkwood the most because it works with elves and the options for elf teams are great (e.g. monk hero).

As a sidenote, if you filter troops for spell effect: create gems and type "gems, boosted" then you get, well, a lot of garbage, but also some of the coolest mana generators in the game, including these journey troops. Some of the conditions you can use to build a unique team where it really shines. Like Urska Druid can loop with a ton of green mana if you have another source of entangle (root trap from the hero, at the minimum). Or Rover-300 makes a ton of yellow mana if you can find 3 skulls close enough to explode with a single cast.

The reason that BDC's guides aren't posted outside the discord is because it's kinda a recruiting tool for our newbie guilds. Keeping 9 guilds full and happy takes some tryhardery. Also posting a guide on the official gems forum seems masochistic. That place sucks.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Well, just hit level 500. :toot: Also have almost all kingdoms at level 10 now.

I've been doing delves daily (City of Thieves, level 20, hoard 100/10) and dungeon (still level 1 lol) and I guess adventure board. Have almost all of the best (according to the beginner's guide) delve/faction troops already.

One thing I really need is traitstones. I've managed to trait Beetrix, Leprechaun and Harpy Mage so far which makes a decent Beetrix team, as well as Maraji Queen for the Rowanne team, but I have a pile of like 11 delve troops alone and about 3 traitstones.

Explore 1 is pretty fast with double Fire Bomb team but also tedious and doesn't seem worth it. What would it take to be able to do Explore 12? I don't have Venoxia which someone somewhere was recommending, or any of the good mythics like King Irongut. Classes so far are Titan at 70, Sentinel and Plaguelord at 40.

Need to also look at kingdom power, currently it's at 2 across the board since lol traitstones.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I can't really remember how it happened, but I don't think I had a big issue from traitstones until my kingdoms were all mostly power level 6 or 7. I think we get those in the event each week (at around level 8 rewards, which we still hit consistently), also in delves and pvp battles randomly. I also crafted a ton of traitstones in the soulforge. Now I get a bunch each week when I buy the new troop with glory from the shop. I'll keep buying until I can upgrade the troop to mythic and that can include a lot of arcane traitstones too. That costs between 6-12k glory. I think I used a lot of orbs when I was doing power levels. It took me a long time to get Zu'ul, but I use him more in defensive teams anyway. We used to have more active senior guild members and we could hit event level 11 or 12 pretty frequently so we would get a lot more orbs then. Now we kind of top out at level 10.

Start doing explores at level 2 at least, that's when you start getting bonus guild seals which will give you more chances when the new mythics drop each month. I usually do level 6, it's a good balance of speed and traitstone drop but yeah I'm using a Venoxia/Rope Dart team. Best bet for the big battles early on is Mang, some skull converters and a class with the Rock Solid talent. Or Life and Death with another life steal troop and Rock Solid. The second one takes longer (and has rarer troops) but it's a bit less risky cos you can get taken out pretty quick if you get unlucky and you don't have a way to get more life.

Mang, Wrath, Infernal King, Apothecary (Sentinel class) [1110,6604,6183,6256,3024,2,2,3,3,2,3,2,14022]

Life and Death, Draakulis, Qilin, The Possessed King (Sentinel class) [1252,6169,6678,6594,3022,2,2,3,3,2,3,2,14022]

greazeball fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 15, 2023

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

greazeball posted:

Start doing explores at level 2 at least, that's when you start getting bonus guild seals which will give you more chances when the new mythics drop each month. I usually do level 6, it's a good balance of speed and traitstone drop but yeah I'm using a Venoxia/Rope Dart team. Best bet for the big battles early on is Mang, some skull converters and a class with the Rock Solid talent. Or Life and Death with another life steal troop and Rock Solid. The second one takes longer (and has rarer troops) but it's a bit less risky cos you can get taken out pretty quick if you get unlucky and you don't have a way to get more life.

Mang, Wrath, Infernal King, Apothecary (Sentinel class) [1110,6604,6183,6256,3024,2,2,3,3,2,3,2,14022]

Life and Death, Draakulis, Qilin, The Possessed King (Sentinel class) [1252,6169,6678,6594,3022,2,2,3,3,2,3,2,14022]

Thanks for the suggestions! I don't have Wrath though or indeed anything from the second team. Mid-level gaming dot txt. :v:

I've been doing explore at about level 6, that does feel like a decent balance. Recently acquired a Venoxia too and have unlocked first two traits for it. Doesn't seem super amazing though at this level and/or in this Beetrix team.

The nerds on the Black Dragon Court discord have been talking about Beetrix teams a lot and my own gut feeling agrees with them that Beetrix is probably the MVP troop at this stage of the game. The main 3 Beetrix teams I've been using are

Fox banner / Whatever hero with Mountain Crusher or something / Beetrix / Harpy Mage / Leprechaun (or Goblin Shaman or whatever)
Fox banner / Hero / Venoxia / Beetrix / Leprechaun (or whatever)
Fox banner / Hero / Beetrix / Beetrix / Leprechaun

The last one is slowest of course but seems to be the best at looping once it gets going. Often there's so much mana income that it fills not one but two Beetrixes and yes that's hilarious. The double Beetrix team is supposed to be feasible up to and including Explore 12 but I've only bothered to go up to E9 so far.

The underground factions are the best thing, the troops there seem very easy to get for how good they are. It took me less than 1000 shards to get all of Beetrix, second Beetrix, Harpy Mage and Maraji Queen (last one is good for the speed-delve Rowanne team for farming).

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Guild Wars episode IV: A New Hope

It's loop vs loop... who will prevail??

Oh noes, the enemy team got one chance of doing their loop. This is not good

The result...

:haw:

This team is alright, can recommend. Gobtruffle's damage is whatever but his skill guarantees extra turn every time (while generating gems) and he has the "disease on 4+" trait which seems useful in longer fights. The team is good enough to do E12 on auto, though it takes a while

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Phoenicia is in soulforge this week. Just crafted it for myself and would strongly recommend the same to anyone without.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Blacula posted:

Phoenicia is in soulforge this week. Just crafted it for myself and would strongly recommend the same to anyone without.

Thanks!

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Blacula posted:

I'm pretty sure, as a nublet with no Irongut (and only enough diamonds to craft one mythic), I should probably wait for Irongut instead?

This week is new mythic week. Is the new one any good? Taransworld spoiler info here

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Doesn't look amazing but it'll be good just because there aren't that many troops from Hellcrag yet. Maybe someone missed Tourmaline last time round and they'll need a Mythic at some point to get their power level up or something. What else are guild seals for anyway?

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

jaete posted:

I'm pretty sure, as a nublet with no Irongut (and only enough diamonds to craft one mythic), I should probably wait for Irongut instead?

This week is new mythic week. Is the new one any good? Taransworld spoiler info here

Yea probably wait for HKI as your very first crafted Mythic. So strong on delve teams.

Phoenicia is very convenient for various event teams. A worthy second mythic.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Alright gonna keep waiting then yeah.

I got all my kingdoms to level 10 and started looking at the power levels, now have all +magic kingdoms at PL 5 and almost all +attack kingdoms at PL 5 as well. However I'm missing, not only arcanes which I can farm easily but slowly, but also minor traitstones. Like minor nature traitstones for Pridelands or whatever.

Does it make sense to buy a bunch of gold chests for the minor stones, as I have decent amounts of gold and the gold chests give some of those? Or is it better to (extremely boringly) farm E1 or something?

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Grinding explore is for sure the way to go over time.

If you 'need lots of minor traitstones now' then yea you have to dump another resource like gold, as you mentioned, or glory. You can purchase infinite extra copies of the weekly troop! Doing that over a number of weeks for different color traitstones will build up a nice stockpile.

If you only need a small amount of a particular traitstone right this second, remember that kingdom challenge level IV will provide some too.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Tower of Doom spreadsheet is ready for the new event https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1boMOiIEUE5DTUVbaUUm_Xmt0c0a_ZKgE-ELovBneTMM/edit?usp=sharing

pixfix
Nov 4, 2010

GET IN THE BIN
Any chance i can get a guild invite if there is room. Steam and mobile player level 350. PIXFIX_GNWH

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

pixfix posted:

Any chance i can get a guild invite if there is room. Steam and mobile player level 350. PIXFIX_GNWH

Invite sent!

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Crafted High King Irongut as my first crafted mythic last week, then just now there's a faction assault where he's usable:

Labyrinth banner (++green, +red, -purple)
High King Irongut
Marilith**
Sunspear***/Essence of Evil
Bane of Mercy***

This is a pretty nice team! Bane of Mercy starts with full mana, curses everyone which removes devour immunity and also buffs Irongut's attack (= devour chance), Marilith gives mana, Sunspear class provides constant firestorm for Marilith, Essence of Evil will eventually charge up and is great for protecting Irongut and/or softening up a target or whatever.

Some nerd on the BDC Discord gave the hint that if you can do enough delves (10-12 full clears or so) during a faction assault, then it makes sense to level up the corresponding hoard to 100/10 first, since you will get enough chaos shards from the delves that it becomes cost neutral. Add to that the advice that it's a good idea to buy the faction weapon with gems each Tuesday (which also gives a bunch of buffs) and the delves have been going pretty smoothly indeed at least until level 90 or something. With all those buffs my Irongut has 65 attack to begin with and Bane of Mercy can instantly buff that to 95 or something.

Dislike how long it takes though to do all these delves. This should really be a whole-week event each week...

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

jaete posted:

Crafted High King Irongut as my first crafted mythic last week, then just now there's a faction assault where he's usable:

Labyrinth banner (++green, +red, -purple)
High King Irongut
Marilith**
Sunspear***/Essence of Evil
Bane of Mercy***

This is a pretty nice team! Bane of Mercy starts with full mana, curses everyone which removes devour immunity and also buffs Irongut's attack (= devour chance), Marilith gives mana, Sunspear class provides constant firestorm for Marilith, Essence of Evil will eventually charge up and is great for protecting Irongut and/or softening up a target or whatever.

Some nerd on the BDC Discord gave the hint that if you can do enough delves (10-12 full clears or so) during a faction assault, then it makes sense to level up the corresponding hoard to 100/10 first, since you will get enough chaos shards from the delves that it becomes cost neutral. Add to that the advice that it's a good idea to buy the faction weapon with gems each Tuesday (which also gives a bunch of buffs) and the delves have been going pretty smoothly indeed at least until level 90 or something. With all those buffs my Irongut has 65 attack to begin with and Bane of Mercy can instantly buff that to 95 or something.

Dislike how long it takes though to do all these delves. This should really be a whole-week event each week...

That's cool about the faction paying for itself. Makes sense another way since they all come back around eventually.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Blacula posted:

That's cool about the faction paying for itself. Makes sense another way since they all come back around eventually.

Yeah, with the factions you will want their delves (except the one you're farming) at high level eventually, so might as well make a bit of headway each week. When you increase your total renown you'll get some small rewards as well such as a couple ingots per day and +1 life or whatever (yeah lol, but still helps in the long run).

Today is vault weekend but I'm still not completely sure about how to deal with all the vault stuff. Something like:

1. When vault weekend, run Explore 1 until your brain bleeds to collect lots of vault keys
2. When no longer vault weekend, use these vault keys (set it to hard) and collect goodies
3. When no longer vault weekend, use also the verses to create gnome-a-paloozas, which is 15 min of Explore 1

e: this is bollocks see below

Is that roughly right? Is Explore 1 the best thing to do during vault weekend? How many hours of E1 (prediction: too many) will it take to get a vault key?

jaete fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 21, 2023

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Just adding that explore 2 gives bonus guild seals that you don't get for explore 1 and isn't noticeably harder

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

greazeball posted:

Just adding that explore 2 gives bonus guild seals that you don't get for explore 1 and isn't noticeably harder

Ah cool. Yeah last time I tried I couldn't one-shot E2 with Rowanne, but now it's possible, as long as I'm using all 3 of my shiny +8 armor medals (team is some hero/whatever, Rowanne, Maraji Queen, Leprechaun)

Done 3 runs of E1 now and 3 runs of E2, have got... 1 vault key :shepface:

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

GAPs run during vault weekend count toward the event's 'gnomes killed' tracker and therefore help get you a lot of vault keys. Each time you get a vault key you have to progressively kill more gnomes for the next one, so you'll have use experience to determine when to stop running GAPs and put leftover verses towards the next vault weekend.

Another bit worth mentioning is that there is a team with double Ironhawk that can deterministically beat E1. I know having 2 of the same Mythic troop is out of reach for most players, but it is a notable goal for farming vault weekends/Gnome-a-Paloozas/vault keys.

Other than that, yes, play as much E1 to farm verses (these gnomes appear more often during vault weekends) to play more GAPs. The vault keys you get from these matches are incidental.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Ah right ok, so I got that almost exactly backwards. Revised:

1. When vault weekend, use the verses to create gnome-a-paloozas, which is 15 min of Explore 1 and gives you (the usual stuff and) extra vault keys, since it's vault weekend
2. When no longer vault weekend, use these vault keys (set it to hard) and collect goodies
3. When vault weekend, also maybe run Explore 1 without a gnome-a-palooza because you'll get a bit more verses than usual

More accurate now?

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

jaete posted:

Ah right ok, so I got that almost exactly backwards. Revised:

1. When vault weekend, use the verses to create gnome-a-paloozas, which is 15 min of Explore 1 and gives you (the usual stuff and) extra vault keys, since it's vault weekend
3. When vault weekend, also maybe run Explore 1 without a gnome-a-palooza because you'll get a bit more verses than usual

More accurate now?

Looks good!

For anyone thinking about running vault keys at anything under hard, you only need to kill Cedric. Even if all the other gnomes are able to flee, he can't and still drops all their loot.

Double secret edit secret: If you start a GAP and then do one casual PvP (picking the easy, left option) you are guaranteed a pet gnome! That's free pet food for you and a 1 hour pet capture for your whole guild :parrot:

Blacula fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 21, 2023

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is there a discord for pinging guild mates for pet gnomes? Or a notification you set on mobile that can pop when there is a pet gnome (or notifications of guild announcement announcing the let gnome)?

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Yea you can definitely have phone notifications turned on for pet rescues.

Discord link is in the OP. I can see about setting up a pet ping role so that people have the choice to opt in and not get unwanted pings.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Did my first ever gnome-a-paloozas today, 3 of them, got 65 total vault keys, some epic vault keys and loads of other random stuff like mainly like 100k+ souls. That'll do.

Wouldn't it make sense though to also use the vault keys now? Since vaults are full of gnomes and the weekend event gives extra rewards for gnomes. Or I guess it doesn't make much of a difference since after a few GAPs the weekend event now requires 80 gnomes or something for the next reward?

Blacula, re pet rescues - I've had pet rescue notifications enabled in the game settings for a while, every now and then it gives me a push notification on my phone that there's now a pet rescue event for the next x minutes. For me at least that seems sufficient

Also stupid question, are all these 1-hour pet rescues from someone in the guild finding a pet gnome, or are some of them just random?

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

jaete posted:

Did my first ever gnome-a-paloozas today, 3 of them, got 65 total vault keys, some epic vault keys and loads of other random stuff like mainly like 100k+ souls. That'll do.

Wouldn't it make sense though to also use the vault keys now? Since vaults are full of gnomes and the weekend event gives extra rewards for gnomes. Or I guess it doesn't make much of a difference since after a few GAPs the weekend event now requires 80 gnomes or something for the next reward?

Blacula, re pet rescues - I've had pet rescue notifications enabled in the game settings for a while, every now and then it gives me a push notification on my phone that there's now a pet rescue event for the next x minutes. For me at least that seems sufficient

Also stupid question, are all these 1-hour pet rescues from someone in the guild finding a pet gnome, or are some of them just random?

Have a look at https://gemsofwar.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001122356-The-Vault-and-Vault-Events for full details, but basically some gnomes don't count for the vault weekend gnome kill tracker. Vault key gnomes don't.

So yea, sounds like you've figured out your point of diminishing returns on gnome kills per vault key. Some people grind a lot of verses and play more GAPs per vault weekend. It's all up to personal preference.

I also like having my phone beep at me when a pet rescue starts! Either I'm available to notice and play, or I'm not and no harm done missing out.

All day Wednesday there is a scheduled weekly pet rescue available for 24 hours. Also blocks other pet rescues for the day.
All other pet rescues are from guildmates killing pet gnomes and only last 1 hour. Also blocks other pet rescues for the hour.

It makes for a nice weekly cadence:
Monday is reset, good day for PvP and figuring out new world events
Tuesday is Faction Assault
Wednesday is Pet Rescue
Thursday is Class Event
the rest for any weekend events.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Some big changes in last night's update: https://gemsofwar.com/6-9-update-trials-of-the-conqueror/

Art graphics are working again on mobile, finally!

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Blacula posted:

Some big changes in last night's update: https://gemsofwar.com/6-9-update-trials-of-the-conqueror/

Art graphics are working again on mobile, finally!

The big update is apparently that challenges are deleted now and replaced with "trials". One trial gives the same reward as the previous 7 challenges; but in a trial, you have to use these specific 4 troops, all of which suck, to try to defeat the enemies. You can change the order of the troops but you can't choose which troops to use. Oh and no heroes, so no hero XP.

As a somewhat new player I hadn't really done any challenges yet, and now I need to do them with random level 1 troops with no traits... except even when leveled up these troops will still be garbage. And no hero XP. What? :confuoot:

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
But also, you will get great offers like this one!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

voodoo dog posted:

But also, you will get great offers like this one!

lmao

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

These new trials have some interesting teams chosen for you. My favorite so far is the Drifting Sands team with all four troops being "one cast only".

I couldn't even clear the regular trials in Khetar to try the epic trials this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
I doubt I'll even bother with Trials beyond #6 for unblocking Kingdom Power right now, and honestly I'm trying to keep said kingdoms at power 20 to keep the flood of bad gem offers away until I and the kingdom can reach power 30.

The only real thing I can say in Trials' favor is it's one battle for all the rewards in a tier instead of having to deal with seven, but it's still not really all that fun.