Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Yeah, Canuck dollary-doos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

My brother has a little spot on this lake and says, he heard the neither boat had lights on after dark.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/a-horrible-way-to-start-the-summer-3-killed-in-serious-boat-crash-on-lake-north-of-kingston-ont-1.6893073

E: so uhhhhhh be careful and don't be an idiot. Lots of rules are written in blood

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We keep red white and green 8 hour glow sticks (2 sets) in the chart table + I recently bought a set of these LED bike lights that wrap around your handle bars. I use some on our stroller as well they have blink and steady mode

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07V6CLHS9

My nav lights work fine but our battery died once in/near the main shipping channel in San Francisco and didn't have enough wind that night to functionally maneuver. Luckily we had the handheld vhf and I was able to radio the port and routed container ship traffic around the other side of Alcatraz

I forget why I didn't deploy the glow sticks at the time. Maybe because 5 minutes later some retired fireman showed up and towed us into aquatic park/bay and gave us a bottle of rum. We radioed the port to let them know we were out of the channel too

Edit here are the glow sticks they're not the cheap ones you buy at the Halloween store "Cyalume"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004NBZLJ2

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 19, 2024

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

drat! Glow sticks!

Never thought of that. That sounds like it would work pretty good for an emergency power failure.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

wesleywillis posted:

My brother has a little spot on this lake and says, he heard the neither boat had lights on after dark.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/a-horrible-way-to-start-the-summer-3-killed-in-serious-boat-crash-on-lake-north-of-kingston-ont-1.6893073

E: so uhhhhhh be careful and don't be an idiot. Lots of rules are written in blood

Even when I was 12 (I think) getting my boaters safety card I was amazed how little they care about making sure people can drive a boat. Specifically I remember that I was going to have to wait two more years to drive a PWC, but reasonably huge speedboats have hardly any restrictions. "Oh, you're an adult? Clearly you can drive a cigarette boat without knowing what different channel markers mean or to turn your lights on at night".

Does Canada say you can't go above 5mph at night? Because for that many casualties I'd expect that collision wasn't at "no wake" speed either. Usually that's more of a trip to the fiberglass guy unless one boat was hilariously bigger than the other.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

From what I heard from my brother who "heard it from somewhere/someone up there".

The "speedboat" was bombing around the lake a little after dark, like 9-930 or so through a narrow channel, and various other places. No lights on and probably relying on their gps to not hit shore, rocks etc... The fishing boat supposedly didn't have any lights, or didn't have them on either.

Years ago in Canada if you operated a power boat less than 10hp then you didn't need a license, so thats why so many small boats have a "9.9" hp motor, but probably 15 years or so ago, anything even with an electric motor you now need "proof of competency". Which pretty much means you need to pass an open book test.

Every summer for several years before and after they made you need one for any power boat license places would set up shop at Canadian Tires, Outdoor/home/sportsman/boat shows, and anywhere else you can name and you could write the open book test. No pass no pay. I'm sure they churned out thousands of people who don't know poo poo about poo poo.

I was one of them, but I always was like "well when I get a boat I'm going to take a safety course so I actually know some poo poo about poo poo". Took one last year. I probably still don't know poo poo about poo poo, but I'm slightly better equipped than probably 99% of other boaters.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
That's probably still better than we do in The States. From last year's rulebook, because they haven't posted this year's yet:

Michigan posted:

Who May Operate a Boat
■ Those less than 12 years of age:
• May operate a boat powered by a motor of no more than
6 horsepower (hp) legally without restrictions.
• May operate a boat powered by a motor of more than 6
hp but no more than 35 hp legally only if they:
- Have been issued a boating safety certificate and have it
on board the boat and…
- Are directly supervised on board by
a person at least 16 years of age and
have been issued a boating safety
certificate.
• May not operate a boat powered by
a motor of more than 35 hp legally
under any conditions.
■ Those born on or after July 1, 1996,
may not operate a motorboat that is
powered by a motor or motors totaling more than 6 hp on
the waters of this state unless the person has been issued a
boating safety certificate.
■ Those born before July 1, 1996, may operate a boat legally
without restrictions.

Who May Operate a Personal Watercraft (PWC)
■ Those less than 14 years of age may not legally operate a PWC.
■ Those 14 and 15 years of age may operate a PWC legally only if
they have obtained a boating safety certificate and…
• He or she is accompanied on board by his or her parent or
legal guardian or by a person at least 21 years of age who has
been designated by the parent or legal guardian or…
• He or she is operating or riding the PWC at a distance
of not more than 100 feet from his or her parent or legal
guardian or from a person at least 21 years of age who has
been designated by the parent or legal guardian.*
■ Those at least 16 years of age and born after December 31, 1978,
may operate a PWC legally only if they have obtained a boating
safety certificate.
Those born on or before December 31, 1978, may operate a PWC
legally without restrictions.

They put those grandfather clauses in there to not inconvenience all the boomers ...and Millennials and Gen Xers who totally already know how to drive a boat, honest. So if you're 45 you can drive whatever the gently caress you want without even pretending to know poo poo about poo poo, and anyone over 28 can still drive some 1000+ hp racing boat (so long as they don't go over 55mph within a mile of shore). And Michigan is more restrictive than other places I've been.

I think back in the mid-late 90s the rule was that if you had a certificate you could drive a PWC at 14 or any boat at 12 with your parents in another country for all they cared, which is loving insane. I don't remember the rules without a certificate, but I think it was 21+ on a PWC and somewhere in the mid-teens for basically anything that wasn't some kind of huge commercial vessel.

*I just realized you aren't supposed to be at speed within 100ft of anything, so presumably this teen's parent is sitting on the back of the PWC. I guess they could also be waterskiing if you also have a spotter and if they fall you'll have to drop to idle to go pick them up.

wesleywillis posted:

Took one last year. I probably still don't know poo poo about poo poo, but I'm slightly better equipped than probably 99% of other boaters.

If it makes you feel better, I remember going down to Lake Allatoona in Georgia and the guy who sold me my day-pass for the ramp gave me a rules pamphlet and I was all cocky because I go out on tiny (couple hundred acres) lakes all the time.
:smug: Pff. I know all about no wake zones, right of way, "Red Right Returning", direction of traffic...
*Few minutes later*
:raise: What's a marker dressed like a referee mean? Get that pamphlet out of the glovebox...
At my home lakes, they tie a laundry detergent jug to a cinderblock to denote "submerged object between here and shore"...or expect you to just know.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Here in the Swedish nanny state any boat not more than 12 meters long and not more than 4 meters wide may be operated by anyone. No licensing or knowledge tests of any kind required, nor any age restrictions. The only exception is jetskis; since May 2022 they require an actual license that involves both practical and theoretical lessons to get, and also you must be 15 years old to ride. Jetski riders were just making too big a nuisance of themselves and there were some accidents where they hit swimmers so the authorities stepped in.

All general rules of the sea about the master's ultimate responsibility for the vessel's seaworthiness and the good seamanship of its crew apply to leisure craft as well, of course, but that's not the easiest thing to pin on someone.

Drinking and boating was finally banned in 2010(!); since then it's the same limits as on the road (0.02% BAC) and applies to both the helmsman and to anyone else doing any sort of work on board "of significant importance to the safety of the vessel". It only applies to boats that are longer than 10 meters, or have a top speed of 15 knots or more. On anything smaller there's just a general ban against being so intoxicated that it's obvious you cannot fulfill your duties.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sailboats seem to fly float under the radar both when it comes to regulations and most importantly enforcement, which is nice

With wire halyards a thing of the past, it's pretty hard to injure yourself going 4-8mph, and keels dragging in mud making it hard to hit the shore even at that speed

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Sailboats seem to fly float under the radar both when it comes to regulations and most importantly enforcement, which is nice

With wire halyards a thing of the past, it's pretty hard to injure yourself going 4-8mph, and keels dragging in mud making it hard to hit the shore even at that speed

But if there's a motor on it, in California, you need to take the course, right? And don't they keep rolling down the exemption age?

I was doing the free course through BoatUS but it's so goddamn slow, I got like 75% and couldn't bear it any more.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

AFAIK you don't have to provide proof of anything when registering your boat. We bought our boat before all that silliness happened so I don't know for sure, and we're registered with the coast guard not the state

The only time the boater card comes up is if you get stopped on the water and I think you get a free pass the first time. And water enforcement super does not care about sailboats, especially sailboats being driven by people over the age of 25

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Boat cops tend to pull over:
  1. Assholes
  2. Teenagers
  3. Boats filled with (probably drunk) people

You should probably take the course but a sailboat isn't getting pulled over unless it's cutting off other boaters while loaded with loaded teenagers.

I learned a bunch from my course when I took it 20+ years ago. My mother sat next to me and didn't learn a damned thing. Plus, the teacher had us discuss the rules broken in Weekend At Bernie's where they took his boat (ignoring the laws against pretending Bernie is still alive):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kDPrNRTuQE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzzrFFivBKk

Edit: I think I fixed my links?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I just looked it up and I apparently hold an unexpired (until the end of this year) Safety At Sea "Offshore Safety At Sea Course" which qualifies me to skipper in regattas* like Pacific Cup and Transpac. It was a two day in person thing where at the end of day 2 you jump in a pool with all your offshore gear + harness on, flip upright a life raft, then climb inside

But yeah some safety training for people who have never been around boats is probably wise

*You also need to do a 400 mile race in the last N years which I haven't done (ever). Longest race I've done so far is ~140 miles (harvest moon)

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I just pulled all my sailing gear out to give it a once over.

Ordered a new charger/dock for my ICOM M93D because I cannot find the [packing] box that has the [retail] box. $70

The charging dock doesn't come with the wall plug, ordered one of those too. $20

Looked at the box for my replacement/backup PFD inflator (hydrostatic mechanism + CO2 cartridge), it expired in 2022. $100

Realizing if the replacement/backup is expired, the one installed on the PFD is definitely expired. $100

:homebrew:

and I don't even own a boat!

well I do, but it's parked on front of my house and given that I haven't started refurbing it yet, it doesn't look likely that I'm going to be sailing on it this summer.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

SeaborneClink posted:

Looked at the box for my replacement/backup PFD inflator (hydrostatic mechanism + CO2 cartridge), it expired in 2022. $100

Realizing if the replacement/backup is expired, the one installed on the PFD is definitely expired. $100

Mine expired last year; I'm just going to use the opportunity to upgrade to a hydrostatic and maybe test out the current one when the water in the sound gets a little warmer.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Safety Dance posted:

Mine expired last year; I'm just going to use the opportunity to upgrade to a hydrostatic and maybe test out the current one when the water in the sound gets a little warmer.

I'm 96% confident that despite being past the expiration, both mechanisms would reliably deploy if triggered. I've taken great care of the equipment and stored everything in an extremely dry/low humidity environment.

If I was going offshore it would undoubtedly replace both the installed one and the backup in my bag. I'm questioning buying a new backup for my bag (and replacing the installed one) for a single inshore race, given that I probably won't wear this gear again until after it expires, unless we decide to do Pac Cup/Trans Pac...

Granted I'm probably due to catch the main boom across my forehead again on this race, due to a hilariously foreseen slapstick set of circumstances.

I also forgot to mention that I checked my MOB1 and it's perfect on battery and got 3 years left on the battery expiration, so I've got that going for me.

Kinda wish that ReacueMe would cross the MOB1 with the PLB3 to make the PLB4, I opted for the MOB1 to scream at the Skipper via DSC+AIS instead of AIS+406MHz at the Coast Guard and the rapidly retreating boat I presumably fell off of.

But for now it's inshore racing and all I have to worry about is not getting run over by a tug or barge, right?!

Edit: I hope there's a backup blender aboard :cheers:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So I looked in to this (and ordered two) but apparently there's USB rechargeable blenders now on Amazon

Will report back with results. I'll pack a regular AC one too as an emergency backup once we get dock side

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I got my boating license when I was... 16? Turns out it never expires, so 20 years later I'm still good to go.

TheFluff posted:

Drinking and boating was finally banned in 2010(!); since then it's the same limits as on the road (0.02% BAC) and applies to both the helmsman and to anyone else doing any sort of work on board "of significant importance to the safety of the vessel". It only applies to boats that are longer than 10 meters, or have a top speed of 15 knots or more. On anything smaller there's just a general ban against being so intoxicated that it's obvious you cannot fulfill your duties.

The majority of the fleet on race nights would blow over 0.02% BAC before the 5 minute start signal :v:

Hadlock posted:

They absolutely do. I've never seen one pulled over, and the cops are out pretty frequently. They've floated around watching our race starts with very obvious drinking going on, and nothing.

Wire halyards a thing of the past you say though? I mean my spinnaker halyard is all rope, but the other two are still wire to rope. I might go to all rope with the next set.

Stitch
Aug 2, 2000

If it wasn't for bad judgement, I'd have none at all
Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

So I looked in to this (and ordered two) but apparently there's USB rechargeable blenders now on Amazon

Will report back with results. I'll pack a regular AC one too as an emergency backup once we get dock side

No experience with USB rechargeable, but I’ve got a 12v blender that works ok-ish apres sail. Fill the pitcher with the last of the icebox ice, pour in some premixed margarita and go. It’s not as good, consistency-wise, as a proper 110v blender, but it does the job.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Battery cable question......I'm putting my starting battery into the bow of my 14' skiff. I'm going to be extending the cable about 14 or 15 feet, it's 8 gauge cable so am i going to have to go to 6 gauge for that length or will 8 be fine for the load?

If I absolutely need 6 gauge it gonna be a REALLY tight squeeze through the conduit under the floor, so I'd rather not go to 6 unless I really have to

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Back in the day, muscle car guys used to relocate their battery to the trunk for some semblance of weight distribution and it looks like they used 2 gauge or thicker for the wiring. Of course, that was to crank over their big honkin' 7+ liter V-8 so I don't know what you can get away with for a more reasonable engine

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah it's just a 20 horse but it does need to spin fast enough to fire. I tried using a lithium motorcycle battery for it initially and that failed miserably lol.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Battery cable question......I'm putting my starting battery into the bow of my 14' skiff. I'm going to be extending the cable about 14 or 15 feet, it's 8 gauge cable so am i going to have to go to 6 gauge for that length or will 8 be fine for the load?

If I absolutely need 6 gauge it gonna be a REALLY tight squeeze through the conduit under the floor, so I'd rather not go to 6 unless I really have to

What's the crank amp demand?

https://battlebornbatteries.com/battery-cable-size/

Says you should be good up to 30A or so.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It goes by CCA's which is 330, what that is in actual amps I have no clue

[e] if I did the google calculation right I'm at 45.83 Ah but are amp hours the same as amps?

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 2, 2024

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

330 Cold Cranking Amps means the battery is capable of supplying 330 amps for about 10 seconds while trying to start an engine. The question is, how many amps does your engine's starter draw?

In reality, 8ga should be *fine*. It's only seeing that load for a few seconds at a time. You might see some voltage drop across your battery lines that you wouldn't see if they were 6ga, but if that becomes a problem, you can size up.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wait someone on another forum said that the actual wire length is going to be both the supply and ground together so I'd be at 30 ft instead of 15, does that sound right ?

Sometimes I wish I was an electrical engineer :v:

Safety Dance posted:

330 Cold Cranking Amps means the battery is capable of supplying 330 amps for about 10 seconds while trying to start an engine. The question is, how many amps does your engine's starter draw?

In reality, 8ga should be *fine*. It's only seeing that load for a few seconds at a time. You might see some voltage drop across your battery lines that you wouldn't see if they were 6ga, but if that becomes a problem, you can size up.

No clue on the starter amp draw, and I really don't want to have to do this twice so i wanna get it right the first time

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Does it really *need* to go in the conduit, or is that just because it'd be a pain in the rear end to fish from one end to the other if you didn't?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I've been looking at various methods to keep my boat from getting fouled over the season. As its only been a few weeks now and already theres a lot of algae and poo poo stuck to the hull.

X-Pel has a "marine" ceramic coating that is supposed to

quote:

Shields surfaces from exhaust fumes, algae, salt, acids, alkalis, and more.

Looking a bit further, it seems as though it mainly makes it easier to clean the poo poo off after as opposed to preventing its build up in the first place.

Anyone have any experience with these? I had to get my hull acid washed this spring and I wasn't impressed with the job they did. I mean it was WAAAYY better than it was, but maybe my expectations were too high or something because there was still some poo poo on the hull.

I'd like to try and prevent this build up or at least make it easier to clean off at the end of the (next) season.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Wait someone on another forum said that the actual wire length is going to be both the supply and ground together so I'd be at 30 ft instead of 15, does that sound right ?

Yes you need to count the entire length of the wire run for Amp calculations, not just each half.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

^^^^^ well that sucks lol

wesleywillis posted:

Does it really *need* to go in the conduit, or is that just because it'd be a pain in the rear end to fish from one end to the other if you didn't?

Yeah it has to go under the floor through the existing conduit other wise there would be wires on the floor. The boat doesn't have any gunnels to hide the wires under either otherwise I'd probably just do that.

If I use 8 gauge it should be fine to fish through but I'm gonna have to see if 6 will even work at all. If it looks like 6 will work I'll probably just do that to be safe even tho it will cost twice as much lol.

Funny thing is tho i had to grind out the 45 degree bend on the conduit going up the hull four inches at the stern in order to even fit a fish tape in there, I'll have to put a cap on it and seal it up with Marine Tex when I'm done.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
You probably don't need the same level of CCAs that my 54hp diesel needs, but my starter battery has a good ~15' run to the engine and is using 2/0 AWG

Don't skimp on your wire sizes, boat fires are real bad.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah you're right. And with the wires in the conduit under the floor I'd have no way to tell if there was a problem, I'm gonna see if 6 gauge is gonna fit ok and if not I'll probably have to nix this idea all together.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

What length is the 8-gauge now? We can get a reasonable idea of the voltage drop and use that to size up. Assuming you've got 4' of cable now (2' there and 2' back), then moving to 30' of cable would mean you'd need 2AWG.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

IMO always go up a gauge range for battery stuff on boats. It's gonna get wet and corrode or something. If you have a cable from the battery to an initial bus bar, consider just doing 2/0 for that initial short run

I think after this next weekend I'm due for new batteries and while I'm at it, probably going to replace a lot of the cables if I see any corrosion after 6 years

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

I did the exact same thing in my 16' skiff and went 4 gauge. No issues, total of a 20' run. I'm a big fan of https://www.customcableusa.com/ for this stuff, least expensive of anywhere I looked.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's me I'm the guy breaking the rules and loving up inventory at West Marine

If you're out of $0.30 #10 nylock nuts I'm gonna crack open a $17 100 pack and pick out the 4 I need and dump the rest in the correct (empty) bin sorry not sorry

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

What length is the 8-gauge now? We can get a reasonable idea of the voltage drop and use that to size up. Assuming you've got 4' of cable now (2' there and 2' back), then moving to 30' of cable would mean you'd need 2AWG.

I have just under 6 feet, so 12 doubled now.

I was planning on cutting that down to 4 (8) feet, then gluing a terminal block in the stern and running 15 (30) of 6 gauge to the bow from that.

[e] got lugs and ordered a 2 gang 65a terminal block cuz west marine didn't have a 2 gang in that size for some reason. The guy at west marine seems to think I'll be fine with 6 gauge for short starts as long as it's not drawn out. Also i have a pull start as well as a fail safe. Gonna make final measurements and get the wire cut, I'm hoping my crimpers can handle 6 gauge lugs otherwise I'm gonna have to use the vise at west marine

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 3, 2024

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'd test it before putting cables into conduit and all that. Might save you some trouble.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah definitely gonna do that. Was also thinking about maybe running with it for awhile then pulling the wires back out to inspect them just to be sure.

I'd be using the power tilt on the motor way more than the starter tho didn't even think of that, ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Hey this:

wesleywillis posted:

I've been looking at various methods to keep my boat from getting fouled over the season. As its only been a few weeks now and already theres a lot of algae and poo poo stuck to the hull.

X-Pel has a "marine" ceramic coating that is supposed to

Looking a bit further, it seems as though it mainly makes it easier to clean the poo poo off after as opposed to preventing its build up in the first place.

Anyone have any experience with these? I had to get my hull acid washed this spring and I wasn't impressed with the job they did. I mean it was WAAAYY better than it was, but maybe my expectations were too high or something because there was still some poo poo on the hull.

I'd like to try and prevent this build up or at least make it easier to clean off at the end of the (next) season.

But also the following.

What do you do if you're on the water and a thunderstorm comes up? I think the obvious thing is, if I have warning, the GTFO immediately but here's something that happened to me last year.

What would you have done in this situation?

I was pretty far off shore in Lake Ontario, and while I was out, I saw a whole lot of rain in the distance over the Niagara Peninsula. I kept an eye on it and thought to myself, "If it looks like its coming this way then I'll gently caress off back to shore".
I was out doodling around for a while and for *reasons* never paid much attention to what was behind me. Between me and the harbour.
When I finally decided to go in and turned around, I saw a storm had come up from the (roughly) southwest and was moving towards where I wanted to be. I had no idea if it was going to stay over land or move out in to the lake but I decided I should probably be off the water asap, so I floored that poo poo and came in. As I was coming in I saw some lightning and decided I really wanted to be off the water as I have an aluminum boat.

I pretty much drove in to the storm and to the dock, got soaked, but didn't get struck by lightning which is good I guess. So, I think if I had actually stayed out in the lake I probably wouldn't have gotten wet, but I do know that lightning can move miles and miles through the sky and it doesn't have to be raining for it to strike etc.....

So uhhhh, what would you have done if that had been you?