Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
So, does Izutsumi have only cat ears, or does she have human ears too? What happens if you raise the hair on the sides of her head, what'd you see?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Not much after she scratches your eyes out.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

DrSunshine posted:

So, does Izutsumi have only cat ears, or does she have human ears too? What happens if you raise the hair on the sides of her head, what'd you see?

She only has cat ears.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

She only has the cat ears, but to speculate further: Based on how her hair behaves in this picture, I think it might be that her hairline actually goes over where her human ears would be, so she's pretty close to having the kind of furry sideburns animalistic character designs sometimes have.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

How does Izutsumi wear headphones though

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Scholtz posted:

How does Izutsumi wear headphones though

with difficulty. source

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Suleman posted:

She only has the cat ears, but to speculate further: Based on how her hair behaves in this picture, I think it might be that her hairline actually goes over where her human ears would be, so she's pretty close to having the kind of furry sideburns animalistic character designs sometimes have.

OK well what if you shaved her, like gave her an undercut instead of the Wolverine sideburns.

I guess I'm outing myself as Mickbell here aren't I?

Synthbuttrange posted:

with difficulty. source

Hey that's a rather refreshing take on the ol' Isekai conceit! Thanks for this!

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

I don't think she dumped him, he is just somewhat estranged from them because he spends all his time trying to make money.

The opposite could also be true - she was happy with a life she mostly controlled, where he appears only occasionally, and then during the dinner party he mentioned the locksmith shop plan and staying home more, and that could be why she left. Until Kui says, we really just don't know. Like, she explained almost everything else, including this (thank you, Vizuyos):

Vizuyos posted:

The page in question:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Hey that's a rather refreshing take on the ol' Isekai conceit! Thanks for this!

It is! The only downsides are the very slow releases and low number of chapters. :(

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

don Jaime posted:

The opposite could also be true - she was happy with a life she mostly controlled, where he appears only occasionally, and then during the dinner party he mentioned the locksmith shop plan and staying home more, and that could be why she left. Until Kui says, we really just don't know. Like, she explained almost everything else, including this (thank you, Vizuyos):

Ryoko Kui went out of her way to avoid depicting almost any romantic relationships on screen.

It's pretty wild that we have appearances and brief bios of all three of Chilchuck's daughters but the closest we get to knowing what his wife looks like (not even a name!) is a picture of an unnamed half-foot in her race collages that everyone assumes is her because she's a dead ringer for Flertom.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/YlGACLAN/status/1789385713672487123

I completely forgot Kabru also had to deal with nightmare clams in a later chapter too.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

golden bubble posted:

https://twitter.com/YlGACLAN/status/1789385713672487123

I completely forgot Kabru also had to deal with nightmare clams in a later chapter too.

Did you forget those nightmares were integral to Laios beating Thistle?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
My wife and I just watched last week's episode. She doesn't much care about spoilers so I said "Can you guess the twist for Izutsumi?" She immediately goes "She is an actual cat that had a human soul inserted into it, isn't she?"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It makes perfect sense the second you say it out loud really, if you’ve seen how the character acts for any length of time

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Donkringel posted:

My wife and I just watched last week's episode. She doesn't much care about spoilers so I said "Can you guess the twist for Izutsumi?" She immediately goes "She is an actual cat that had a human soul inserted into it, isn't she?"

Technically incorrect since that's not actually a twist that appears in the comic. It's only in additional material.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm starting to learn Japanese and currently getting used to typing kana characters on my phone. Would the Dungeon Meshi manga be decent to try copying text from to help with learning kana or is the dialogue too complex?

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
Looking at the early chapters the dialogue seems very approachable, certainly no more difficult than what I started with. You can check out the free sample on a site like bookwalker (click the button labeled "試し読み") to get a feel for it. The main issue is, inevitably, the massive amount of food vocab which is the bane of my existence. If you're cool with either learning the bespoke kanji for each dish & ingredient or else glossing past them to focus on kana & kanji relating to more general concepts it shouldn't be too big an obstacle though.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'm starting to learn Japanese and currently getting used to typing kana characters on my phone. Would the Dungeon Meshi manga be decent to try copying text from to help with learning kana or is the dialogue too complex?

If you’re just starting and on the kana just make some flash cards or something. There’s only two sets coming out to 90 flash cards.

Just about anything can be good study materials, I did something similar to you back when I started with a Japanese ROM of Ogre Battle 64. It’s a great way to get practical experience and expose yourself to new vocab.

Since you’re still learning your letters though Dungeon Meshi will almost certainly be too complicated to understand. Something for kids might be a little more doable. Just because you won’t be able to read it doesn’t mean studying the text and finding and looking up kanji aren’t really useful learning tools though

Also look up what ichidan and godan verbs are and how Japanese people learn about the conjugation of their own verbs. The way English speakers are taught this is extremely stupid and I feel like I would have understood Japanese a lot sooner if they explained u-verbs as conjugating five different ways and then tacking helper verbs on at the end instead of going “gawrsh shucks there’s nothing systematic here at all just learn all these different specific conjugations for specific situations”

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Meme Emulator posted:

Also look up what ichidan and godan verbs are and how Japanese people learn about the conjugation of their own verbs. The way English speakers are taught this is extremely stupid and I feel like I would have understood Japanese a lot sooner if they explained u-verbs as conjugating five different ways and then tacking helper verbs on at the end instead of going “gawrsh shucks there’s nothing systematic here at all just learn all these different specific conjugations for specific situations”

Do you have a pointer to such an explanation? I've seen a number of discussions of verb conjugation in textbooks and online, but don't think I've encountered one that takes this approach.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Quinton posted:

Do you have a pointer to such an explanation? I've seen a number of discussions of verb conjugation in textbooks and online, but don't think I've encountered one that takes this approach.

Ive only watched this through to the first minute so I cant claim the entire thing is correct but its certainly making the point well enough so far that I trust it enough to post it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGA6Tj9_lSg

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
not that i claim to have japanese proficiency beyond college freshman level or really remember how it was taught since it was forever ago, I don't really see the ichidan/godan explanation as beneficial (since based on the video it does seem to have a number of exceptions/archaisms) unless you already know japanese and need to learn the actual grammatical rules - aka, you are a native japanese speaker

if your goal is "here is how to conjugate a verb for a specific use case", as a second language learner might want to know, just giving the conjugate form and leaving the knowledge that you are actually stacking a number of different verb stems out until later has its merits too

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I've also noticed that Dungeon Meshi does not seem to include kana along with the kanji (at least within the text/not the cover) as opposed to other manga which do like One Piece. Is it because the former is technically seinen while the latter is shonen?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I've also noticed that Dungeon Meshi does not seem to include kana along with the kanji (at least within the text/not the cover) as opposed to other manga which do like One Piece. Is it because the former is technically seinen while the latter is shonen?

Yep. The lack of kana is one of the defining differences between shonen and seinen. Subject matter, well, Fire Punch is shonen. Enough said.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

It ran in a seinen magazine. No technically. It is seinen. It runs in a magazine that has series with full frontal nudity and softcore sex. It also has Hakumei and Mikochi because Harta, the seinen magazine that publishes them, has fairly broad subject matter

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Shout out to Trigger for not putting Kit-tties on Itzumi, I know that took a lot of restraint for them.

Also, good news. Barometz looks just as disgusting in motion as it did in the manga! Guess I'm not eating a tomato for a few days

VVV As above, so below

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 17, 2024

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

Shout out to Trigger for not putting Kit-tties on Itzumi, I know that took a lot of restraint for them.

Also, good news. Barometz looks just as disgusting in motion as it did in the manga! Guess I'm not eating a tomato for a few days

The only fan service they've been adding is of Senshi

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Don't worry, we should be getting more than enough fan service next episode milking some minotaurs

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

They added Izutsumi to the OP :kimchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4m7TnJuoXc&t=65s

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
https://x.com/Jinou_rakugaki/status/1792209818922680431

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Anime has reached the ice golem chapter, and thus the gate revelation. It still remains funny that only at this point in the narrative, 43 chapters in, is the reader told that there was a specific reason Laois's party was in the deepest level of the dungeon the first time around. It is never brought up earlier. Its main narrative role subsequently is 1) to let the party catch up to Mithrun and Kabru, and 2) to signal to the reader that the WL is physically aiding the party through kensuke.

My guess is that Kui might have settled on the plot element quite late. It's quite fun to speculate what the alternatives might have been. Perhaps dungeon cleaners were intended to play a larger role.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Honestly it's a decent plot thread but kind of unnecessary. I just assumed that people hadn't been that deep before because

1. They are mostly like Kabru's party and get got by basic monsters through lack of knowledge.

2. There's still profit to be made on the upper levels, so there isn't *that* much motivation to go down further unless you have a very specific reason (beyond killing the sorcerer, which everyone assumes is suicide).

3. Getting revived relies on people finding you. If you are the first one down a path then you had better survive or the whole point of dungeon crawling like this gets thrown out.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Ahhh "Fear and Hunger Meshi".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

https://x.com/aatom87/status/1792011980066443481/photo/1

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

ronya posted:

Anime has reached the ice golem chapter, and thus the gate revelation. It still remains funny that only at this point in the narrative, 43 chapters in, is the reader told that there was a specific reason Laois's party was in the deepest level of the dungeon the first time around. It is never brought up earlier. Its main narrative role subsequently is 1) to let the party catch up to Mithrun and Kabru, and 2) to signal to the reader that the WL is physically aiding the party through kensuke.

My guess is that Kui might have settled on the plot element quite late. It's quite fun to speculate what the alternatives might have been. Perhaps dungeon cleaners were intended to play a larger role.

That reminds me, it’s a little weird watching the current episodes knowing that Kabru and Mithrun are actually ahead of Laios’s party in the dungeon. I wonder how the anime will handle the timeline stuff.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Mithrun and Kabru's chapter sprints through their dungeon descent from the ice golem to the gate in the span of one chapter, built around the framing device of the "meshi" du jour being the narrative itself. It's already quite a breathless pace. That, and finally revealing the real stakes of the plot.

I think an adaptation would struggle to fit it into thirteen minutes and still do it justice; hopefully it gets a full episode to itself.

ronya fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 20, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ronya posted:

stakes of the plot

*steaks

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
*plate

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

ronya posted:

Mithrun and Kabru's chapter sprints through their dungeon descent from the ice golem to the gate in the span of one chapter, built around the framing device of the "meshi" du jour being the narrative itself. It's already quite a breathless pace. That, and finally revealing the real stakes of the plot.

I think an adaptation would struggle to fit it into thirteen minutes and still do it justice; hopefully it gets a full episode to itself.

Next season, I hope they start playing around with the format instead of strictly sticking with the 2, sometimes 3 chapters per ep thing. There are some chapters incoming that are self-contained to a point where it would feel jarring AF to stick them with another chapter. We already got a taste of that with the Nightmare chapter.

Like, I hope the Winged Lion chapter is paced to take up most of its episode and then maybe they will include a couple of pages from the Kabru + Mithrun chapters (the parts about his childhood) and end it when Kabru wakes up and sees Mithrun.

Speaking of pacing, I'm a slightest bit anxious about how they are gonna handle Griffin. On one hand, I am afraid they won't be able to give Senshi's backstory the breathing room it deserves if they put all the Griffin content into one episode (assuming they endeavor to wrap up all of Golden Country next episode, as they should), but if they put Griffin Soup into 23, I just can't imagine the sheer tonal whiplash of going from that to Dumplings within the same episode.

Oh well, Imma trust the process.

Sander fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 20, 2024

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i have no idea how they're going to cram golden kingdom or griffin into a half-episode, i hope they end up being full eps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

kidcoelacanth posted:

i have no idea how they're going to cram golden kingdom or griffin into a half-episode, i hope they end up being full eps

Judging by the preview, Golden country and Egg are gonna be episode 21. I guess they can cram it in if they cut stuff strategically.

Speaking of which, skipping the OP or ED is one option that I hope they start using.