Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think you are underselling the implications of Gunny's hints about her time on Mimban. She hints at having seen some poo poo, and Cassian Andor talks about Mimban having been hell for the Imperial grunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arquinsiel posted:

I think you are underselling the implications of Gunny's hints about her time on Mimban. She hints at having seen some poo poo, and Cassian Andor talks about Mimban having been hell for the Imperial grunts.

oh gunny is the best part of the rebels. I dont hate the rebel side or think its some uber clean poo poo, andor is the best star wars show etc, i just find the empire more interesting even if they are evil fucks. besides mimban produced the closet star wars will ever come to 40k.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRM5HiHdjYI&

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Lord and Miller version had some extra scenes on Mimban, including the actual native aliens they were fighting against and another member of the gang who got killed and who at one point was going to be Lando’s older brother, which is kind of crazy to think of.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Mimban campaign is mentioned so many times in Disney canon that it feels like an in-universe byword for Hell On Earth.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

The Mimban campaign is mentioned so many times in Disney canon that it feels like an in-universe byword for Hell On Earth.

yeah, one of my weird hobbies i have right now is trying to make a giant detailed action figure diorama thats basicaly going to be 40k vs the empire with 3.5 action figures and i am sorta gonna try to do that type of thing either with an ambush on a convoy or some general trench warfare hell poo poo. but yeah, i kinda like the idea of the empire just getting bogged down in some real hosed up hell fighting trench/urban poo poo.
mostly i am just practicing possing stuff.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, one of my weird hobbies i have right now is trying to make a giant detailed action figure diorama thats basicaly going to be 40k vs the empire with 3.5 action figures and i am sorta gonna try to do that type of thing either with an ambush on a convoy or some general trench warfare hell poo poo. but yeah, i kinda like the idea of the empire just getting bogged down in some real hosed up hell fighting trench/urban poo poo.
mostly i am just practicing possing stuff.

Well, if you need inspiration:

quote:

According to script writer Jon Kasdan, the film's crew wanted to evoke Stanley Kubrick's 1957 anti-war film Paths of Glory and put Han Solo into the most hellish-possible war environment

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Well, if you need inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7MrtRFg6U0

my inspiration was this. it would just be guardsmen and imps loving murdering each other in the mud or a brutal ambush. the biggest issue is alot of stormtroops have kinda lovely articulation. plus their arnt any current stormtroopers out so getting fodder is more expensive then vehicles, i can get an atst and a tank and couple other things for 200 total.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 25, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, it's kind of awesome that they've ended up having an in-universe meatgrinder to reference for the Imperial era.

Paths of Glory is a real weird inspiration to draw from though, since that's mostly a courtroom drama.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The visuals of the Mimban scene always reminded me of the Do Long Bridge scene in Apocalypse Now, especially with its "who's in charge here?' reference.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

The visuals of the Mimban scene always reminded me of the Do Long Bridge scene in Apocalypse Now, especially with its "who's in charge here?' reference.

A bunch of imps trying to hold off the Guard or whoever in FOB Sheev.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arquinsiel posted:

Paths of Glory is a real weird inspiration to draw from though, since that's mostly a courtroom drama.

I mean that's true but it does contain the single greatest WW1 trench assault scene ever filmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZmgeJ5dY8k

So I can see where they're coming from. Nothing else really comes close to capturing that grinding, relentless feeling.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Clearly I need to watch it again. Which is not a bad thing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I mean that's true but it does contain the single greatest WW1 trench assault scene ever filmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZmgeJ5dY8k

So I can see where they're coming from. Nothing else really comes close to capturing that grinding, relentless feeling.

i feel like it would be more "faster" then that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXRLqK6S02g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkI1Fxne8AY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhfglRuY4lM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie0CrG3Lgbo
more like these. simply because they have better tech and poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 25, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Faster, more intense, George? I mean when the Empire can air drop attack walkers into a combat zone to support their infantry then yeah they've still got the war of manoeuvre advantage.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Cross-Section posted:

I still laugh sometimes about that one squadmate who's just like "yeah all we need to do is reinstate the Imperial Senate and there won't be any reason for a rebellion! :dumbgun:"

It's extra funny because she's clearly bullshitting. The real reason she wanted it back was because her parents were Imperial Senators.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm reading The Krytos Trap and Stackpole, if briefly, mentions that the New Republic is keeping the Imperial bureaucracy in place on many worlds to ease the transition from one government to another.

It's rubbing a lot of rebels the wrong way that the New Republic is relaying on clerics and administrators who worked for the Empire up until the New Republic arrived on their world, but they get to keep punching into work. But hey, these are the people who know how to run the communication systems and whatnot, so you can't really fire them.

An example of this occurs toward the end of the previous book in the series. An Imperial solar array crew that is watching a space battle concludes that the New Republic will win. They tell their commanding officer to spin a tell of Rebel sympathies so they can keep their jobs.

I thought this was pretty interesting due to how the New Republic in the new canon has been handled.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It's not like "fire everyone associated with the old regime and ban them from ever holding positions of authority again" has turned out to be a good solution either when it has been tried IRL, and the end-result that the new Star Wars EU and sequel trilogy depicts (a counter-insurgency seeking to re-establish the old regime) is pretty much exactly what some of those attempts preceded, so it probably wouldn't have made much of a difference if the New Republic had gone that way.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OhFunny posted:

I'm reading The Krytos Trap and Stackpole, if briefly, mentions that the New Republic is keeping the Imperial bureaucracy in place on many worlds to ease the transition from one government to another.

It's rubbing a lot of rebels the wrong way that the New Republic is relaying on clerics and administrators who worked for the Empire up until the New Republic arrived on their world, but they get to keep punching into work. But hey, these are the people who know how to run the communication systems and whatnot, so you can't really fire them.

An example of this occurs toward the end of the previous book in the series. An Imperial solar array crew that is watching a space battle concludes that the New Republic will win. They tell their commanding officer to spin a tell of Rebel sympathies so they can keep their jobs.

I thought this was pretty interesting due to how the New Republic in the new canon has been handled.

yeah, honestly their is ALOT over overlaps with old and new canon and not just with the fan service characters. like i think the disney canon does the empire and alot of the dark times better, but i like the implosion of the empire in the old canon where empire just turns into warlord era china.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

OhFunny posted:

The funny part is that the solar array crew was commanded by Captain Needa's cousin or brother and his subordinate had to impress upon him that being honest at a time like this would be suicidal.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

For an example of how well the “Fire everyone from the old regime” approach works see: De-Ba'athification, Iraq 2003.

Somebody should do a story that involves some “Clean Wehrmacht” type poo poo. Have some New Republic officials get scammed by some Imperial Navy officers into keeping their jobs when they’re actual war criminals, but happen to know which way the wind is blowing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Somebody should do a story that involves some “Clean Wehrmacht” type poo poo. Have some New Republic officials get scammed by some Imperial Navy officers into keeping their jobs when they’re actual war criminals, but happen to know which way the wind is blowing.

Didn’t this happen at the end of Truce at Bakura? And I guess Baron Fel also.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's been almost twenty years since I read The Truce at Bakura as a kid but for whatever reason I always pictured Pter Thanas looking like Colonel Sandurz from Spaceballs. Just the schlubbiest Imperial officer ever stuck on the edge of known space.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

Didn’t this happen at the end of Truce at Bakura? And I guess Baron Fel also.

i mean was baron fel a war criminal? he was more imperial red baron then anything else.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Didn’t this happen at the end of Truce at Bakura?
The actual imperial governor? Yes. IIRC the military side of it was less war crimes-y than the political head.

To me the whole situation with the administration is probably closer to the Catholic/Church of England split where the priests shrugged and hid all their explicitly catholic stuff (sometimes burying it on church grounds) and otherwise kept on trucking. Under Henry VIII it was basically the same church. Edward VI (Henry's only son) was much more reformation minded and diverged the Church away from the Vatican, then he died. Queen Mary (Edwards oldest surviving daughter) took over, went back to the Catholic Church so the priests all dug up their old stuff and went back to Catholic mass, only to have to rebury it again when Mary died and Queen Elizabeth I took over. The incremental changes that were made to the Church of England meant that the population didn't feel like it was to different from the Catholic version, until MUCH much later when James II tried to start re-instituting Catholicism and got run out of the country.

Also this idea of Admin having it's own momentum to keep the government running in spite of itself is what was the original definition of "Deep State". The idea that even if the head of government didn't want something, by pure inertia things would keep happening because of guys doing their jobs.

I mean, the other side of it is also that the Republic is HEAVILY decentralized compared to the Empire, with Member states also having their own armies and heads of state that handle most of the business of governing. Although this is also a symptom of the Legends cannon being written as a patchwork where each new story would add different mini-empires and kings and queens etc.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

now lemme pitch a star wars remake of The Baader-Meinhof Complex

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So did Boba Fett ever have to face a machine that feeds on human souls? Or was the cover blurb writer just high that day?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

$7 Werner Herzog action figure Black Friday deal, gogogogo!

https://a.co/d/aQhHmiq

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Star Wars is great, where else can you get Herzog and Bill Burr action figures?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I have a Woody Harrelson LEGO, Thanks Star Wars!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lord Hydronium posted:

Star Wars is great, where else can you get Herzog and Bill Burr action figures?

The old general rieekan Figure looks like John Kerry, not even joking. Will have to dig up pic I have of him.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Also i have a atst driver that looks like Wallace shawn and Dan Aykroyd. Also another that looks like blackadder season 1

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's not exactly EU but it is a Star Wars book - has anyone gotten their hands on a copy of the new book on the making of the Star Wars Holiday Special? I'm looking forward to reading it, though I am happy to wait for the local library to get a copy.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The old general rieekan Figure looks like John Kerry, not even joking. Will have to dig up pic I have of him.

Wow, you weren't kidding.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To be fair, the actor does look like that anyways.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Wookieepedia posted:

General Rieekan turned down a promising career as an executive in his wife's company, the galaxy's largest producer of blue milk, to become a general for the Rebel Alliance.[14]

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Honestly, if they want to make that a plot in Andor Season 2 then it would fit right in.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I really want to see a Pentagon Wars riff about the Incom engineers getting desperate enough to sell their design to the Rebels

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

StashAugustine posted:

I really want to see a Pentagon Wars riff about the Incom engineers getting desperate enough to sell their design to the Rebels

It all starts with a lot of cocaine spice and hookers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

StashAugustine posted:

It would be like a cross between Pentagon Wars and the really terrible Docudrama about the Avrow Arrow that ends with some of the designers successfully fleeing with one of the prototypes.