Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

comedyblissoption posted:

do you believe the biden administration is running concentration camps?

Yes, he is. We should make a thread about it, or five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

naruhodo

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

SorePotato posted:

Who cares loser, your spinning bowtie cannot lead me astray from Xi Jinping Thought. I live eternal in the people's heavenly army, while you, a CIA brain floating in a jar, are set to be replaced in two weeks

abolish the thread title limit for this

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

SorePotato posted:

Who cares loser, your spinning bowtie cannot lead me astray from Xi Jinping Thought. I live eternal in the people's heavenly army, while you, a CIA brain floating in a jar, are set to be replaced in two weeks

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.reuters.com/technology/..._source=twitter

quote:

HONG KONG, Oct 13 (Reuters) - The United States has overtaken China to account for the largest share of the world's bitcoin mining, data published on Wednesday by Britain's Cambridge Centre for Alternative Finance showed.

The figures demonstrate the impact of a crackdown on bitcoin trading and mining launched by China's State Council, or cabinet, in late May, which devastated the industry and caused miners to shut up shop or move overseas. read more

China's share of the power of computers connected to the global bitcoin network, known as the "hash rate", had fallen to zero by July from 44% in May, and as much as 75% in 2019, the data showed.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

drat. That's about 0.2% of the world's electricity no longer being wasted for monopoly money NFTs

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Seize the lands and apartments from the pro-DPP rich landlords and split them among and poor Millennial Taiwanese. Good old Red Army playbook.

There's a lot of black gold sloshing around but the hosed thing is the KMT is or was the wealthiest political party on the planet, supposedly

And if the PRC was willing to do that, they'd be doing that in Hong Kong.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

There was also some leak recently where the Swedes talked about how they wanted to murder Afghanis to advertise their weapons. Social democracy ftw!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq3Ud5EjUaE

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Yeah I'm sure the capitalist empire won't do anything irrational and stupid while in its death throes. I'm sure the collective will of 20 famous billionaires like Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos and 200 old money billionaires who control literally every institution in the entire West, would act toward sensible ends in the event of war.

If we're talking about MAD being broached then we might as well be fantasizing Fallout scenarios, which makes for a good video game but not really discussion that leads to anywhere foreseeable.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

SorePotato posted:

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Maximo Roboto posted:

If we're talking about MAD being broached then we might as well be fantasizing Fallout scenarios, which makes for a good video game but not really discussion that leads to anywhere foreseeable.
I'm not sure that the conditions that made MAD work 50 years ago still exist.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I'm not sure that the conditions that made MAD work 50 years ago still exist.

Biden re-uped the START treaty, so it could be worse.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

If the U.S. was in its death throes, it would probably drag in China economically, you don't even need saber-rattling

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lostconfused posted:

Biden re-uped the START treaty, so it could be worse.

say what happened to the INF

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
i remember trump scrapping it and everyone just went on pretending he didn't do that

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

what kind of loving brainworms does it take to make it so that your One Issue as a voter isn't even a domestic one

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
there's a surprising number of those for taiwan and for the life of me it doesn't seem natural

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Austronesian solidarity

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Maximo Roboto posted:

If the U.S. was in its death throes, it would probably drag in China economically, you don't even need saber-rattling
the US is in its death throes and is already saber-rattling

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

SorePotato posted:

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

what kind of loving brainworms does it take to make it so that your One Issue as a voter isn't even a domestic one

Isn't that just modern conservatism? We don't want to give the people anything so we'll just promise them to hurt someone else more.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hedenius posted:

Sweden spent the whole cold war preparing for a war with the Soviet Union. Literally every piece of Swedish military hardware developed during the cold war was designed to fight the Soviets.

the swedes and the russians have always agreed on one thing, that finland is the best place in the world to fight their wars

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Maximo Roboto posted:

There's a lot of black gold sloshing around but the hosed thing is the KMT is or was the wealthiest political party on the planet, supposedly

yea that's what controlling the supply of heroin from the golden triangle gets you

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

SorePotato posted:

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Maximo Roboto posted:

And how would it do that?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Southpaugh posted:

And how would it do that?

very carefully

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

the US is in its death throes and is already saber-rattling

when is the us not saber-rattling though

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

SorePotato posted:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
laos is about to finish building some HSR, opening december

seems nice, wish we would build train infrastructure here in the "first world"

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I believe all these are 200km HSR, China-Lao-> pending Thailand line is built by China, Vietnam's 200km line is being built by Japan (downgraded from 300km because it was too expensive).

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mila kunis posted:

laos is about to finish building some HSR, opening december

seems nice, wish we would build train infrastructure here in the "first world"

you sure that’s laos? literally everything in all those pictures is written in chinese and the car license plates are the same color blue as mainland chinese plates too

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

stephenthinkpad posted:

I believe all these are 200km HSR, China-Lao-> pending Thailand line is built by China, Vietnam's 200km line is being built by Japan (downgraded from 300km because it was too expensive).

oh that makes sense

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
oh i may've grabbed the wrong pictures

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Well that dark blue/red/white are the colors from the Laos flag, so it has to be the Laos painting of the railway.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The train itself is going to Laos but it looks like they were shot in China.

But yeah, Laos getting HSR before the US, is kind of embarrassing. (200km+ an hour is still well beyond Acela)

Supposedly, a link from Laos to Singapore is planned by 2030, you would be able to go from Xinjiang to Singapore by only HSR (it would take like 30 hours still).

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:57 on Oct 14, 2021

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1448661945096159232?s=20

this guy still has supporters

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, the UNM gets about 25% of the vote, not enough to win but enough to put a protest together.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
one thing I wanna understand about the BRI is whats the planning around every country along a route wanting a cut of the action driving up the cost of goods. the EU common market works because of no duties in the member countries (i think?), but if you wanna build a trade network from shanghai to lisbon some dude in kazakhstan is going to start rubbing his hands and get cartoon dollar signs in his eyes

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Listen in the West we just don't have the population density or the money to build infrastructure like they have in...Laos

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

congrats to the Lao PDR for outcompeting the US on train building

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Atrocious Joe posted:

congrats to the Lao PDR for outcompeting the US on train building

A pretty nice metro system is being built in Dhaka, Bangladesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Ardennes posted:

The train itself is going to Laos but it looks like they were shot in China.

But yeah, Laos getting HSR before the US, is kind of embarrassing. (200km+ an hour is still well beyond Acela)

Supposedly, a link from Laos to Singapore is planned by 2030, you would be able to go from Xinjiang to Singapore by only HSR (it would take like 30 hours still).

30 hour is nothing. In the 80s I took the good old green colored train from GZ to BJ, it was 2 days 1 night.

I double check the NY to LA train travel time, its 62 hours. I would do it when my kid is older.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 17:24 on Oct 14, 2021