Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

skasion posted:

Fire storm

Or Homing Soul Arrow - that'll one shot them with good enough stats.

In the remake at least there is an equivalent to the Rusted Iron Ring that lets you ignore most of the bullshit with walking through water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, I rolled a pure strength build so magic isn't really an option. I have been throwing some spare stones onto a longbow but plinking at range did not work terribly well.

On the whole, I think I made a mistake doing the first playthrough on strength. I've been able to power through but so many encounters encourage or reward ranged combat. That and unless there are some more chunks in the endgame, I won't be able to finish upgrading my standard claymore or crushing morningstar. It's weirdly annoying to have them them stuck at the penultimate level, especially when I've been carrying the pure stones around for ages.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
DeS has really, really good bows and also strongly encourages you to use them. The way to deal with those guys without magic is using a bow to draw them one by one, lead them to a solitary island where you can in fact roll, and kill them there. It's still super hard and risky, but at least it's optional. Killing them with arrows alone isn't gonna work probably, though there is actually a sniper spot.

You could also look into making the Lava Bow, which is absolutely excellent and "just" requires a Bow +7.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Phenotype posted:

I think that was literally the one thing in any of the levels I didn't bother clearing haha, I dunno how the hell you're supposed to fight them if you can't dodgeroll. I think they're just guarding a few stones of ephemeral eyes anyway.

Remaster added a Rusted Iron Ring equivalent. Push world 3 to Pure Black then poke around the swamp at the bottom. It’s on a corpse leaning against a broken pillar near the Big Ball o’ Arms enemy.

Sodden Ring

Then you can dodge roll in the Swamp.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Astraea :(

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Finished the game. It was a good time. A lot lighter on narrative than the following games but also not nearly as inscrutable. Some of the boss fights were real good. Bizarrely, a couple of the phantoms were the hardest, Ostrava in particular. The end bosses for each world were really spectacular encounters but kind of a joke in terms of difficulty.

The largest difference mechanically (and one it took me a while to figure out) is that there isn't any poise. It made a lot of the trash encounters far harder. Eventually I figured it out and threw a bunch of upgrades on the purple heart shield and pumped fatigue. Shields are definitely the GOAT in Demon's Souls.

I did a plain strength build as I've done in all the games for a first playthrough. It's kinda generic but the claymore in any Fromsoft game has never failed me. Weirdly I got a ton of use out of a fire enchanted battle axe. It was doing more damage than my standard claymore almost right to the endgame. Moveset is nothing to write home about but like axes and maces in the other games, the fast rolling R1 into R1 combo can reliably stunlock a ton of stuff. Also tried using a crushing morningstar but it was a pretty big disappointment. Bleed did nothing and even at S scaling and 40-50 str it did less damage than my other weapons.

Return to Drangleic is starting soon but I'll definitely return to this game another time.

E: also wow, the Thief's Ring was clutch. Don't think I used stealth this much in Elden Ring even.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 15, 2023

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Fruits of the sea posted:

Finished the game. It was a good time. A lot lighter on narrative than the following games but also not nearly as inscrutable. Some of the boss fights were real good. Bizarrely, a couple of the phantoms were the hardest, Ostrava in particular. The end bosses for each world were really spectacular encounters but kind of a joke in terms of difficulty.

The largest difference mechanically (and one it took me a while to figure out) is that there isn't any poise. It made a lot of the trash encounters far harder. Eventually I figured it out and threw a bunch of upgrades on the purple heart shield and pumped fatigue. Shields are definitely the GOAT in Demon's Souls.

I did a plain strength build as I've done in all the games for a first playthrough. It's kinda generic but the claymore in any Fromsoft game has never failed me. Weirdly I got a ton of use out of a fire enchanted battle axe. It was doing more damage than my standard claymore almost right to the endgame. Moveset is nothing to write home about but like axes and maces in the other games, the fast rolling R1 into R1 combo can reliably stunlock a ton of stuff. Also tried using a crushing morningstar but it was a pretty big disappointment. Bleed did nothing and even at S scaling and 40-50 str it did less damage than my other weapons.

Return to Drangleic is starting soon but I'll definitely return to this game another time.

E: also wow, the Thief's Ring was clutch. Don't think I used stealth this much in Elden Ring even.

Yeah the levels are the "bosses" in Demon's. Most of the boss fights just feel like a victory lap after making it through the level- aside from Astrea which feels just kinda sad. And yeah, the Thief Ring is just about the closest thing the game has to an Easy mode. So much easier to pull things one at a time, or even just walk past things without being noticed. it's almost a different game without it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Fruits of the sea posted:

They're still doing Return to Drangleic? I've been feeling the itch to replay DS2 lately. When is it?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Starting on the 27th according to the Reddit. I don’t know how populated it will be but I’m hoping some of the community wants to take a break from Elden Ring now. Last year’s was a non-event because of its release and then the online issues.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Started the remaster on the first and got plat today; had never played the original but had watched a couple LPs ages ago cause I didn't want to buy a PS3 for one game. Enjoyed most of it, other parts not so much (waiting til NG+ to try PBWT was not a good idea). One thing that's been bugging me is are Moon weapons just straight garbage? Like it's kind of blowing my mind that Crescent gets MP regen AND way better scaling. I initially infused a broadsword with Moon (I didn't find the shortsword at Maneaters initially, although I think broadsword has better base stats anyway) then eventually built a Moon Knight sword, but the Crescent Falchion was still performing better then either of them. Are there particular weapons that are enhanced by Moon enough to overtake Crescent or is it just plain inferior (or am I doing it wrong :v:)? I rolled a Noble and kept my Magic levelled consistently, ended with at least 50.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I thought Moon had slightly better damage at lower int levels, but is surpassed by Crescent later. The lack of regen makes it worse for a caster build.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Magus42 posted:

I thought Moon had slightly better damage at lower int levels

Oh right, yeah I was doing it wrong. I just assumed that since Moon puts Magic scaling at all on the weapon you'd want points into it, but it's not like it adds a Magic requirement. Shame that Crescent is only on weapons I'm not particularly fond of and/or didn't want to invest more levels into (Uchi). :sigh:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Moon is, I think, intended for people who want some source of magic damage but are mostly leveling physical stats. But it’s basically no better than sticky white stuff on a regular weapon, and you get the crescent falchion for a free source of magic damage anyway, so…

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I honestly think the Crescent Falchion (+1!) being so easily accessible, and so early, is a major design flaw of the game. Almost every build can use it, and it's so insanely good against some enemies including problem bosses (Flamelurker) that your basic bitch "oh I upgraded my Bastard Sword to +3" build is just never going to want to use its actual main weapon there.

It really sticks out compared to the Crushing Battle Axe (great for the Str build to have something early, and to show off that upgradr path, but not the best base weapon), the Blessed Mace (free regen for everyone!), and the Mercury Rapier (lol, but I HAVE used it in Stonefang to have sth piercing...ofc the Falchion is better there too). Were it Moon, it would make a lot more sense - less of the super powerful magic damage, and no regen so the casters would have to actually build up to a weapon that features that, or compromise with a physical weapon they enchant.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The upgrade system in this game is so busted and unreasonable that I don’t mind there being crutch weapons like crescent falchion, dragon longsword, etc. sometimes that’s what it takes to get a character off the ground. And purists can always ignore them

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Also it's worth noting that it's in the arguably most difficult level, and is kind of meant to be a more "late-game" item, even though it's pretty straightforward to get if you know where it is and are willing to persist enough to pick it up.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

skasion posted:

The upgrade system in this game is so busted and unreasonable that I don’t mind there being crutch weapons like crescent falchion, dragon longsword, etc. sometimes that’s what it takes to get a character off the ground. And purists can always ignore them
I don't mind anything but the Falchion for this reason - it's simply boring how optimal it is for such a long time

Dirk the Average posted:

Also it's worth noting that it's in the arguably most difficult level, and is kind of meant to be a more "late-game" item, even though it's pretty straightforward to get if you know where it is and are willing to persist enough to pick it up.
Yeah, one thing I forgot to mention is that they probably meant for the black skeleton to be a huge deterrent. It is! Unless you know of the concept of a suicide run lol

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Those loving skeletons go way harder in the PS5 version

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Simply Simon posted:

I honestly think the Crescent Falchion (+1!) being so easily accessible, and so early, is a major design flaw of the game. Almost every build can use it, and it's so insanely good against some enemies including problem bosses (Flamelurker) that your basic bitch "oh I upgraded my Bastard Sword to +3" build is just never going to want to use its actual main weapon there.

It really sticks out compared to the Crushing Battle Axe (great for the Str build to have something early, and to show off that upgradr path, but not the best base weapon), the Blessed Mace (free regen for everyone!), and the Mercury Rapier (lol, but I HAVE used it in Stonefang to have sth piercing...ofc the Falchion is better there too). Were it Moon, it would make a lot more sense - less of the super powerful magic damage, and no regen so the casters would have to actually build up to a weapon that features that, or compromise with a physical weapon they enchant.

:wrong:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I've decided to try doing a DBS strength build after going through Dark 1 and 2 with ultra great swords and having a blast.

I've gone through 1-1 and 1-2 in addition to getting far enough into 4-1 for the crescent falchion to do good damage to the 2-1 enemies.

Are there any other paths I should stick my head down or am I good to rush through world 2 for my Big Boy Sword?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Simply Simon posted:

you can just not get it sir

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

I've decided to try doing a DBS strength build after going through Dark 1 and 2 with ultra great swords and having a blast.

I've gone through 1-1 and 1-2 in addition to getting far enough into 4-1 for the crescent falchion to do good damage to the 2-1 enemies.

Are there any other paths I should stick my head down or am I good to rush through world 2 for my Big Boy Sword?

Dragon Bone Smasher is good but for me the ultimate giant fuckoff sword in DeS is Meat Cleaver (Swollen Demon Soul + unupgraded club at the Stonefang smith). It takes a couple levels of faith to wield but you won’t be sorry, it rules. Also weighs like half as much as DBS.

Anyway you can try running down there to grab it if you think you can take Flame Lurker. But don’t forget, DBS needs pure white world tendency, so if you die in Stonefang in human form you might miss out on it. Make sure to go back to the Nexus after each boss to kill yourself.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

skasion posted:

Dragon Bone Smasher is good but for me the ultimate giant fuckoff sword in DeS is Meat Cleaver (Swollen Demon Soul + unupgraded club at the Stonefang smith). It takes a couple levels of faith to wield but you won’t be sorry, it rules. Also weighs like half as much as DBS.

Anyway you can try running down there to grab it if you think you can take Flame Lurker. But don’t forget, DBS needs pure white world tendency, so if you die in Stonefang in human form you might miss out on it. Make sure to go back to the Nexus after each boss to kill yourself.

I'll definitely give both a try before making my final decision. I've been careful about only running levels in soul form for tendency reasons so I should be good to try out both weapons after killing flame lurker.

Guess I'll polish off 4-1 before digging further into Stonefang.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

you can just not get it sir
That is entirely missing the point of my post. I think the game itself would be better if it was a Moon Falchion +1 instead and Crescent were the secret super upgrade path, not that the game would be better for me specifically.

ok

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
Apparently it's Return to Boletaria. Is anyone celebrating this sacred event?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Skrill.exe posted:

Apparently it's Return to Boletaria. Is anyone celebrating this sacred event?

Oh poo poo! I should.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gonna make a new dude during lunch break today, let's do this.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Meat Cleaver in DeS basically cemented me being Unga Bunga on my 1st playthru of all these games when this originally came out.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm gonna try to make a Lava Bow build work

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm gonna try to make a Lava Bow build work
That's easy mode. Bows are sick in DeS

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

After much farming, I now have the Stick Compund Long Bow +5.

Now to tackle some bosses.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

And now I got the clever rat's ring and the Morion Blade, unlocking true hyper mode.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I don't believe you

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

...! posted:

I don't believe you

I do not really use True Hyper Mode, I'm not good enough to feel confident running around on low hp.

But when I hit low hp in the middle of a boss fight I can unleash my true power.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Modders have gotten the first custom NPC into Demon's Souls while working to restore the lost archstone:

https://x.com/Thens_DeS/status/1721319090856349828?s=20

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hi, I've never played anything remotely resembling a Soulslike game before (other than bumbling around in Dark Souls for about an hour at a friends place when it first came out, and dying repeatedly in the first stretch of Bloodborne for a bit), I'm terrible at games in general but I love the aesthetic and vibe of most of the Souls games so I'm giving Demon's Souls a try.

I'm avoiding guides of any kind and just trying poo poo to see what works and so far I've made it further than I would have expected, though this tall motherfucker in the knight armor keeps loving my poo poo up pretty much right away so I've sort of hit a wall, I haven't really tried going anywhere else yet though

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Welcome to Souls games!

If you made it out of the intro, you've done pretty well for yourself already, good job!

There is no need to bang your head against a wall. You unlocked all the archstones for a reason - poke around in them and see where you can make progress. If you find some enemies that barely take any damage, try a different weapon! Experiment, explore, find your small victories and turn them into lasting success. Good luck and don't give up!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah try one of the other worlds, they each provide different resources and cater to different sorts of characters. Demons Souls also has one of the more merciless starts in the series so don’t get discouraged if it continues to feel like an rear end kicking for a while.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Welcome to Souls games!

If you made it out of the intro, you've done pretty well for yourself already, good job!

There is no need to bang your head against a wall. You unlocked all the archstones for a reason - poke around in them and see where you can make progress. If you find some enemies that barely take any damage, try a different weapon! Experiment, explore, find your small victories and turn them into lasting success. Good luck and don't give up!

Honestly I haven't even really tried any different weapons yet, I'm playing as Royalty and nothing I've stumbled across has really topped the rapier I started with so far (at least in terms of raw stats), or magic has done the trick as needed, but I'll keep an eye out for anything else that looks different.

skasion posted:

Yeah try one of the other worlds, they each provide different resources and cater to different sorts of characters. Demons Souls also has one of the more merciless starts in the series so don’t get discouraged if it continues to feel like an rear end kicking for a while.

That's good to know, I haven't really felt like it was any harder than I expected it to be so far. Getting to the first boss (the big shield slime thing) involved a lot of trial and error and accidentally running into rooms full of enemies because I forgot what game I was playing, but the boss itself was kind of a breeze to fight honestly, so the Tower Knight felt like a sharp increase in difficulty, but I figured that's probably going to happen at some points. I know I probably need to get better at the basic controls in general, I tend to rely on blocking over parrying/evading but I can see why getting the parry down is probably pretty critical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
demon’s soul’s has tricky bosses, only a couple of them are actually straightforward 1v1 combat and it’s pretty obvious which ones those are. keep that in mind