Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
If the train was travelling at speed, it probably wouldn't take much more than pushing a single car up toward the front off the track and let the kinetic force of all the mass trying to follow it do the rest of the work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

More good stuff from Jack Watling: https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/ukraine-russia-beginning-compound-advantages

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

PurpleXVI posted:

Content: Contains video of the damage, does not appear to contain any video of injured people as a result. Holy poo poo though that looks like a mess, I wonder how long it'll take to clean

Though I wonder how a drone could cause a train to derail unless it blew up/misaligned a section of the track or some such.

I'm not sold on this being a deliberate attack. It's a pretty gnarly derailment, but a faulty set of points will make that kind of mess just fine.

Though I will admit it's convenient that it happened at a rail yard where a spur line to an ammo depot branches off the main line.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I'm not sold on this being a deliberate attack. It's a pretty gnarly derailment, but a faulty set of points will make that kind of mess just fine.

Though I will admit it's convenient that it happened at a rail yard where a spur line to an ammo depot branches off the main line.

It would have to be a hell of an explosion to actually derail the train, but overworked people are great at getting overladen and improperly distributed trains to come off the rails. If nothing else, explosions happening anywhere remotely near the engine could scare a civilian train engineer enough to try changing speed too quickly for the load

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

It would have to be a hell of an explosion to actually derail the train, but overworked people are great at getting overladen and improperly distributed trains to come off the rails. If nothing else, explosions happening anywhere remotely near the engine could scare a civilian train engineer enough to try changing speed too quickly for the load

I should call her...

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The Door Frame posted:

Someone do the needful and post the train derailment quote (scenario) from BT4com or whatever his name was.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

B4Ctom1 posted:

Pretty much this. It is hard to explain not just the physics, but the amounts of forces involved.

We use throttle to create stretching or "draft" forces and dynamic braking (think of downhill engine braking in a car) to create bunching or "buff" forces.

To start with, when you are running the train, you are feathering the throttle or dynamic braking to keep "in train forces" at acceptable levels. This is based upon the terrain each part of the train is passing over.

Even small changes in grade, if there are enough of them under the length of the train, are enough to break knuckles, rip out draw bars, or derail cars simply by doing "nothing at all" at the wrong time.

In these situations heavier applications of power or dynamic brake are required to keep these "in train forces" down.

Think of a large sliced loaf of bread. I take the wrapper off of it and ask you to carry it across the room. One hand on each end should suffice. A small amount of pressure to keep the bread from being crushed and across the room you go.

The knuckle and drawbar connections between the cars seem very strong to the layman, but when compared to the amount of weight of loaded freight cars, and all of the cars behind them piled upon it, it may as well be dental floss.

You can break dental floss easily, but the difference is that it is hard to "crush" dental floss.

The poster I have quoted above is addressing something we call "train make up". THe "in train forces" can be additionally effected by the way cars or groups of cars are placed in the train. Long cars next to short cars, loads next to empties.

Generally freight trains that are not hauling a bulk of the same commodity are mixed freight. A bulk commodity train would be an entire train of wheat or coal. These trains are very heavy, and have their own set of problems, but in general do not have any issue of train make up because all of the cars are generally the same weight and type. Mixed freight trains are the most common types of trains on the main rail thoroughfares.

A mixed freight train I haul might have 25 heavy loaded lumber cars, 15 empty or loaded auto racks, 20 empty or loaded tank cars of various lengths, 30 empty or loaded covered hopper cars of various lengths, and 30 loaded or empty boxcars of two different lengths.

So for this example train of 120 cars. Lets say it weighs 7900 tons and is 9000 feet (2.75KM) long.

I am traveling along at 50 MPH.

The "head end" of the train has passed the bottom of the grade and the train is still descending the grade. As about half of the train leaves the grade I am looking ahead at the next grade to climb directly ahead. I have been using dynamic brake and need to "transition" from braking to power. I move the lever into the idle position and begin waiting my 10 seconds. In my my mind, from experience, I know that I need to rapidly, but gently begin notching through my power notches without allowing my train to accelerate past 50 MPH which I am restricted to.

The very head of the train is traveling around a slight curvature in the track. I also need to see that the next signal is green "clear" so that I do not have to formulate an entire other plan as a reduction of speed might be required instead. I see that the signal is flashing yellow "advanced approach". This will mean a reduction of speed to 40 MPH and a possible stop short of the second signal ahead.

As I am thinking of what I am to do next and waiting for the 10 seconds to pass, the next crossing becomes visible and I see that there is a truck hauling a low slung trailer with a heavy piece of equipment on it. He is blocking the crossing because his low slung trailer is stuck on the raised rail and crossing lumber that you drive across.

Without hesitation or further consideration, I slam the brake handle into the emergency position, dumping all the trainline air. I reach up and toggle the switch that ensures that the "End Of Train" device dumps from the rear as well. I bail off the locomotive air brakes because they are so powerful in a situation like this, that they can cause such a massive buff forces which will certainly derail a train. Additionally they can crumple or destroy the track beneath them.

While in earlier transition from dynamic braking to power "slack" had developed in the train. Slack is neither draft or buff, but more of a null position like rail cars standing in a yard not connected to a train. A developed space between cars where they are sort of relaxed.

As the air dumped from the train-line, the brake valves on each car sense this emergency and dump the full value of air contained within their emergency reservoir into the large cylinder that applies the brakes giving each car higher than usual stopping power.

Somewhere near the head end of the train a group of empty tank cars having such massive braking power begin to stop the train, but right behind them a group of heavy loaded hoppers presses against them, their own braking being less substantial. A tank car of Anhydrous Ammonia right between the groups which has been taking the brunt of these two opposing forces has a wheel that lifts off the rail as it is being pressed around a curve. This car, the car ahead of it, and nine of the loaded hopper cars behind it all leave the rail and head into a tiny quiet suburb in the middle of the night.

Half way back in the train where the most of the box cars are, they settle down for their stop. Still bunched because they were still descending the hill. The heavy loads of lumber fighting them as they come to a stop. Even though on straight track the, one end of an empty boxcar in the group begins to lift into the air. The opposing force of the heavy lumber cars and the stopping train ahead of it is too much. As it sets back down the wheels miss the track and begin to erase the track, all of the cars behind it having no track to ride on begin to take paths of their own in each direction.

Near the back of the train the auto-rack settle down hard. Harder than the group of heavy lumber cars ahead of them. This causes one of the long 500+ pound (230kg) draw-bars in the third auto-rack to be sheared from place. For a moment it tumbles through space, whistling though the wind in contact with only the air. Then it strikes a tie and the car passing above it in vaulted, only inches off of the rail, and a carload of new rangerovers tumbles end over end into a reservoir of drinking water.

The drawbar is angry, propelled by its last impact it drops onto the rail for a moment derailing a load of mini coopers, a load of corvettes, a load of ford diesel pickups, and a load of prius. The last of the autoracks ram into those derailed and the drawbar impales itself through the bottom of a boxcar piercing 20 cases of aged Glenfiddich.

Back on the locomotive, pressed forward by the loads behind, we cover the half mile to the stuck trailer in about 45 seconds. My conductor sees that the piece of equipment is a D9 Caterpillar bulldozer and screams like a woman as he jumps from his window at 35 mph. The fall from 15 feet in the air certainly would have killed him but instead he tumbled and struck feet first shattering his legs in 20 places and cartwheeling to his death as his head exploded when it struck the hard granite ballast some 20 times or so in the cartwheeling tumble. It takes 24 hours for them to find his body under crumpled boxcars.

I run out the back door to the second locomotive where I lay down in the cab. The impact at 35 mph is brutal. The second locomotive which I am on climbs under the front locomotive. The third locomotive does the same to mine. When the locomotive comes to a rest, is on its side, and both my arms are broken.

I drown, face down, in 200 gallons of brownish, blueish sewage from a chemical toilet long overdue for a cleaning. But my dignity is preserved because a fire from the combined 12,000 gallons (45.5 Kiloliters) of fuel burns for 3 days incinerating me and most of the locomotives completely.

The undocumented worker driving the truck with the wedged trailer disappears.

During the conductor's autopsy, trace amounts of THC from a brownie he consumed 3 weeks earlier while on vacation in Amsterdam are found to be the cause of the accident.

It was also noted in the government report that the cellphone of an engineer on a different train following ours was "on" at the time of our impact, and this may have contributed to the wreck.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Oh my, that one is worthy. :thumbsup:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Adjacent and possibly related news. Last elections, the Slovakians elected Fico as their new PM. He was about as pro Russian as Orban, but more ideologically than "they are paying my bills and also hate gay people." More in the sense that he sang mournful ballads about how "peace could only come from the east, war can only come from the west," etc., refused to supply arms to Ukraine and such. Generally gave a vibe of tons of Soviet nostalgia.

Today someone attempted to assassinate him.

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1790749480691601841

quote:

On Robert #Fico's Facebook page, it was officially announced that he is "in a life-threatening condition" and "sustained multiple injuries".

"He is currently in a life-threatening condition. At the moment, he is being transported by helicopter to Banska Bystrica, as transporting him to Bratislava would take too much time, given the need for urgent intervention. Everything will be decided in the next few hours," the message says.

No details on who or motivations behind it. I could see it as equally likely that someone loathed his pro-Russian tone as the Russians wanting to murder one of their "allies" and blame it on the West to get some brownie points.

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1790742800885071999

quote:

The shooter targeting Robert #Fico turned out to be a 71-year-old native of the Slovak town of Levice.

Police are investigating his motives, TV Joj reports.

Of course, it could also just be some insane jackass.

https://twitter.com/den_kazansky/status/1790744153665536162

quote:

Prime Minister Robert Fico was shot in Slovakia.

Top Russian propagandist Margarita Simonyan has already written that Ukraine should be blamed for the assassination attempt.

It is clear what Russia and everyone who works for the Kremlin will now push

Looks like the Kremlin is already on trying to milk it.

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 15, 2024

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1790742800885071999

Of course, it could also just be some insane jackass.

or it could be someone who has a full memory of the Iron Curtain and has a burning hatred of the memory of the Soviet Union that would make any Pole proud.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

A.o.D. posted:

or it could be someone who has a full memory of the Iron Curtain and has a burning hatred of the memory of the Soviet Union that would make any Pole proud.

Definitely plausible. I could imagine someone whose lifetime started behind the Iron Curtain and eventually progressed to being a member of the EU seeing someone jeopardize that and not having good memories of the old days.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

curious what they bought

100 tons of those lovely L1A1 knockoffs?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

curious what they bought

100 tons of those lovely L1A1 knockoffs?

It seems more likely that they'd buy artillery shells and rockets, I think small arms are one of the things the Russians do not have supply problems with.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Idk I thought they were handing out Mosins to rear guard and those separatist assholes in the beginning of the war, weren't they?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1790766589962310075

quote:

Russian authorities detained Russian Deputy Defense Minister and Russian MoD Main Personnel Directorate Head Lieutenant General Yuri Kuznetsov on May 13 on charges of accepting large-scale bribes.

I wonder if some Russians have realized corruption is hamstringing them and trying to clean house, or whether this is just internal power struggles hitting down on the corruption of people who are no longer in the government's good graces and protected by having powerful allies.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

Idk I thought they were handing out Mosins to rear guard and those separatist assholes in the beginning of the war, weren't they?

That could have just been motivated by trust or the lack thereof. They didn't want the separatists to actually form their own nation, just perpetuate a frozen conflict and be completely beholden to Russian support.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Bored As gently caress posted:

While there were some pictures of rear town guard types carrying mosins and ancient AKs in early 2022, that hasn’t been the observation of frontline units.

Even the poorly trained and equipped storm-z units might not have a standardized perfect infantryman loadout, but they tend to have AKs, some mags, hand grenades.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Also the Mosins pretty universally seemed to have scopes and likely be for the designated marksmen in a formation. It wasn't platoons of guys all with bolt action rifles older than their grandfathers.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Also the Mosins pretty universally seemed to have scopes and likely be for the designated marksmen in a formation. It wasn't platoons of guys all with bolt action rifles older than their grandfathers.

I think that is reading into it too much. They were scoped mosins because those were the ones they kept around, not because they gave DNR conscripts marksman training.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1790832018978214272

quote:

The Estonian Parliament has adopted a law allowing to return Russian assets to compensate for damages caused to Ukraine, Estonian Foreign Minister Tahkna reports.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/estonia-parliament-backs-using-frozen-russian-assets-ukraine-reparations-2024-05-15/

quote:

The Estonian law would allow frozen assets of individuals and companies which contributed to Russian illegal actions to be used as "an advance payment for the damages Russia owes Ukraine", the parliament said.

To do that, Estonia would need to receive a request to use the assets, the connection of their owner to illegal acts must be sufficiently proven. The asset owner can challenge their use for Ukraine in Estonian courts.

It'd be lovely if this became the norm in the entire Eurozone and the US as well.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

"Sufficiently proven to connect the owner to illegal acts" could be a bit of an issue. Depending on how serious lawmakers are about it this could be significant or it could just be meaningless posturing because nothing can ever be truly "sufficiently" proven. Plus of course you know the Russians will be arguing each case to the death in court either way so there'll be a fair bit of delay between the request and any actual transfer. Still a net positive, just need to temper expectations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tomn posted:

"Sufficiently proven to connect the owner to illegal acts" could be a bit of an issue. Depending on how serious lawmakers are about it this could be significant or it could just be meaningless posturing because nothing can ever be truly "sufficiently" proven. Plus of course you know the Russians will be arguing each case to the death in court either way so there'll be a fair bit of delay between the request and any actual transfer. Still a net positive, just need to temper expectations.

If they require that the person whose assets are being expropriated defend their property in person, I'm willing to bet that any Russian who can be tied to war crimes will be a no show.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tomn posted:

"Sufficiently proven to connect the owner to illegal acts" could be a bit of an issue.

Yeah, that’s load-bearing. I think that if a documented financial connection is considered to be enough then it won’t be too hard. If it’s about command and instruction, much more difficult.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Too much of Europe is selling Russia poo poo under the table and or buying their oil to do it and half of the US Congress are Kremlin dupes if not on the payroll, there's no way this will become normalized.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Midjack posted:

Too much of Europe is selling Russia poo poo under the table and or buying their oil to do it and half of the US Congress are Kremlin dupes if not on the payroll, there's no way this will become normalized.

Probably not everywhere, but I could absolutely imagine that the Baltics and Scandinavian countries would do it. The EU as a whole is still handwringing about how it would be against the rule of law, and I realize that the EU is a big bureaucratic creature, so it probably won't get done on that level, especially with creatures like Orban and Fico(sadly, seems like we might not be rid of him this time around, according to current reporting) around.

But at the same time, public opinion is largely pro-Ukraine, so I could see some embattled politicians like, say, Macron, doing it to score domestic brownie points.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1791070732543283588

quote:

Ukrainian military intelligence drones reportedly attacked the Bazalt weapons manufacturing plant in #Tula, Russia, according to Kyiv Post’s intelligence (#HUR) sources.

Bazalt is a Russian state-owned company that produces the RPG-7V2 and RPG-29 grenade launchers.

Content: Is accompanied by a picture of the resulting inferno.

Considering the flames I wonder if they were also producing and storing the warheads in the same place or whether weapons manufacturing even for small arms just happens to involve a lot of volatiles.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

And we've got an ID on Fico's assassin:

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/32742

quote:

Gunman Who Shot Slovak PM Linked to Pro-Russian Extremist Group

The 71-year-old man who fired five shots at Slovak Prime Minister Robert Fico, is linked with a pro-Russian extremist group a Hungarian investigative journalist reported.

Seems a bit of an own goal to me, but fascists ARE known for shooting each other at the first opportunity. Lmao, I guess.

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/32720

quote:

At a press conference following the shooting, MP Lubos Blaha from Fico's party lashed out against the prime minister's critics.

"You, the liberal media, and progressive politicians are to blame. Robert Fico is fighting for his life because of your hatred," Blaha said.

I gotta say I'm not exactly shedding a lot of tears if Fico ends up kicking the bucket over this.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

But I just got a good credit score!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Stravag posted:

Boooooo

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1791122103476875441

quote:

One of the largest ammunition plants in Russia has been nationalized in the Moscow region.

The shares of the Klimovsky ammunition plant, which previously belonged to the family of businessman Boris Krasnov, will be transferred to the Russian Federal Agency for State Property Management.

At the same time, law enforcement agencies have initiated criminal cases against persons involved in the "embezzlement" of the plant's shares between 2002 and 2010, and they are under investigation, a source in the government agencies told RBC. Rostec, which is one of the plant's shareholders (the corporation owns a 36% stake), was satisfied with the court's decision.

In January of this year, an accident occurred at the boiler station located on the territory of the plant, as a result of which 170 houses in Podolsk were left without heating and hot water in 20-degree frosts. Roman Ryazantsev, deputy head of Podolsk's Housing and Utilities services, Alexander Chikov, head of the boiler station at the Klimovsk cartridge plant, Igor Kushnikov, general director of the plant, and Alexander Samarin, former Minister of Energy of the Moscow region, were arrested in criminal cases initiated after the accident.

The Kremlin is getting key war machine enterprises back under its full control.

On the one hand, nationalizing key enterprises can theoretically remove a lot of graft, corruption and profiteering, allowing for more competent and streamlined management, practices, etc.

On the other hand, after a shakeup in the Russian centers of power, it's also equally likely that someone just wants their corrupt profiteers in.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1791122103476875441

On the one hand, nationalizing key enterprises can theoretically remove a lot of graft, corruption and profiteering, allowing for more competent and streamlined management, practices, etc.

If the Russian military is anything to go by, it's just going to make Dacha money for a government officer instead of a business owner.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Stravag posted:

Dude.... hahaha

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

psydude posted:

If the Russian military is anything to go by, it's just going to make Dacha money for a government officer instead of a business owner.

Yes, a sudden change in the post of the minister of defence suddenly changing the whole massively corrupt system is something Tom Clancy would write, not something that would actually be likely. Everyone that close to Putin has been doing nothing but kissing rear end and stealing everything that isn't nailed down.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
I doubt anyone thinks a sudden change will occur. But Belusov is reported to be a intillegent and capable individual, how that plays out with the rest of the Russian command and defence industry remains to be seen. But Putin knows the problems corruption has caused him, and we have seen some evidence of that with high ranking executives and other individuals who cannot bare the shame of their corruption jumping out of windows. I think Putin has to get the corruption under control if he wants to win this war, and thus preserve his own life and legacy. And unfortunately Russia has a playbook on how to get individuals in line.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Dick Ripple posted:

I doubt anyone thinks a sudden change will occur. But Belusov is reported to be a intillegent and capable individual, how that plays out with the rest of the Russian command and defence industry remains to be seen. But Putin knows the problems corruption has caused him, and we have seen some evidence of that with high ranking executives and other individuals who cannot bare the shame of their corruption jumping out of windows. I think Putin has to get the corruption under control if he wants to win this war, and thus preserve his own life and legacy. And unfortunately Russia has a playbook on how to get individuals in line.
I doubt that Putin, who might be the richest person in the world due to corruption, is the right person to get corruption under control.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

As Galleoti put it recently when talking about the Kremlin moves, while corruption is a fact of life in Russia there is control over the scale of 'acceptable graft'. Everyone being a bit corrupt is good for Putin because it gives him control over them. And when he needs to signal everyone to rein it in a bit he can take someone out and shoot them pour encourager les autres.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Exactly, I am not expecting Russia to work its way up the Corruption Perceptions Index. But I do expect Putin to do whatever he can to win this thing.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://x.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1791449962758250734

quote:

As said by some Russian sources: “at least 2 UAVs attacked the Tuapse Oil Refinery, where a retification column and an area of ​​200 square meters caught fire.”

A week ago Reuters retthat Tuapse oil refinery resumed work after 3 months of repairs following the January drone attack.

Russian refinery gets shut down by Ukrainian drone attack, spends three months getting repaired, and then is more or less immediately hit by another drone attack. That's just trolling. And it's hilarious.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
One of the best ways to get rich in Russia is to get government construction contracts and skim them all the way down.
I’m sure someone there has figured out an M&M style enterprise that would bomb their own factory repeatedly to keep the money flowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Curious what folks think about the recent Russian territorial advances? Here’s a random article: https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2024/05/17/ukraine-war-live-updates-latest-news-on-russia-and-the-war-in-ukraine.html

E: sorry nm I was completely blinded by the train physics post and missed the whole discussion in the page before lol

Lackmaster fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 18, 2024