Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Time for my check-in every couple of months to see if there's any new news on the book. She can take her time to finish it, that gives me time for another re-listen in the interim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I said I’d post the Gideon she was working on when she was done, it is also neat.
Since people did express interest if you want a print best way is probably to hit her up on tumblr/instagram.

https://www.tumblr.com/mariellavee/749599672399806464/utterly-blown-away-by-the-kind-words-and-responses?source=share

https://www.instagram.com/mariellavee?igsh=MTB2eHp3enR0OXk5Nw==

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Those are seriously cool. Is she planning on doing Cam and Pal?

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

Mr Teatime posted:

I said I’d post the Gideon she was working on when she was done, it is also neat.
Since people did express interest if you want a print best way is probably to hit her up on tumblr/instagram.

https://www.tumblr.com/mariellavee/749599672399806464/utterly-blown-away-by-the-kind-words-and-responses?source=share

https://www.instagram.com/mariellavee?igsh=MTB2eHp3enR0OXk5Nw==

:eyepop: Amazing work! I love all the (non-canon) armour details.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Welp that's now my headcanon for Harrow and Gideon, good job Mrs. Teatime

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I’ve put in my request

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/Marceline2174/status/1789396386389037062

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Stupendous. That's real talent and real skill.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

those are incredible, I love how used up they all look.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
very disappointed John isn't wearing socks

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Goatse James Bond posted:

very disappointed John isn't wearing socks

That would be worth another 'filling up a jail cell with acid' from Mercymorn.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Here's another animatic folks should check out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i1-N2_vZmg.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Holy cow, that's good.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
found another perfect Gideon cosplay :swoon:

The hood-up pic is loving 🔥🔥

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 21, 2024

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I knew I'd enjoy these books but me and my wife are reading them at the same time and I love them. Gideon started out maybe a little YA-feeling for me, with the cool teen girl protagonist with a mysterious past who loves snarky one-liners, but it had me won over by shortly after their arrival at the bad mansion.

I'm about a third of the way through Harrow now and have a lot of theories which are probably entirely wrong. Should I post them and is this thread a safe place to be for someone who isn't really spoiled on anything upcoming

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Yes, definitely post your wrong theories. That's half the fun of the series.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And since there's not really a release date for the next book the thread's going to lie pretty dormant otherwise.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
It’s been very good about avoiding spoiling things for people. Live reacts are hale the fun!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I wrote too much but I wanted 9 points and I'm off work the next few days so did this instead of finishing off some very boring tasks I had no motivation to do.

So far:

I don't think I know quite enough to guess at Gideon's parentage yet. initially thought maybe she was the soul/reincarnation of the sleepy tomb baby but I don't think that's the case. Been looking out for hints about her eye colour given the series' focus on eyes and the v specific description of the Body's eyes, but nothing yet.

There's been enough Jesus symbolism with her that there's a chance she's the Emperor's daughter but need to see how literal the space Catholicism gets before I make a call on that - in particular it would fit with her sacrifice, her being the sole survivor of a load of baby murder, her quoting the Bible directly and her name meaning, well, "warrior" or "one who cuts down" - Jesus "brings not peace but a sword", here in an enjoyably literal manner.

Harrow is genuinely schizophrenic as well as all the trauma. The Body could either be completely just a schizo delusion or it's been haunting her like a Dagoth Ur illusion since she met it. The wards around the tomb weren't just to keep people out - figure the spirit isn't as trapped as the body is. Ortus is probably a delusion brought on by grief or by whatever she did to herself... tried to reverse the Lyctor process and put Gideon in a new body? She didn't completely remove her power or I don't think she'd survive in the river, but she's not the Super Saiyan that effortlessly killed Cytherea. I suspect she partially succeeded and Gideon is sort of floating nearby, hence her sensing five people on the River shuttle when there should be four (and she didn't sense any cavaliers from the others, so not a normal Lyctor thing). Interesting that in the flashbacks to Ortus House, Abigail identifies that Harrow has 200 baby souls but in the River she only notices herself, dunno if that means anything.

Basically Gideon is her Stand. Maybe the Body is too but a human "can only have one Stand" - Enyaba, Justice pt2.

I initially thought the nine houses were the Solar system planets then for some reason I figured the First was terraformed Mercury until it clearly wasn't that - I think the initial description made it sound like Europa in Destiny - and that made me think it wasn't our system at all. Anyway. A few pages after discussing this with my wife I got a better description of it and it's Earth.

Fine, "Earth all along" is pretty overdone but we seem to be doing something interesting with it here. So what happened exactly? My initial thought was something like a Solar flare and the Emperor revived the people/planets after that. The sun on the first is described in very violent, almost malicious ways - searing, blinding, scourging, irradiating. Maybe that's just because our heroes were raised in a dark hole, maybe not; usually you'd expect a scene where they comment on how beautiful the first sunset they ever see is. Maybe it's just because they're goths.

In any case either (a) the Emperor caused whatever happened to the sun, since I get the impression the before times weren't, uh, billions of years in our future when it's due to do horrible things naturally, or (b) he did something else just as bad, and given he had a big shed full of preserved frozen people, he knew it was coming.

Wondering if it has something to do with experiments in FTL travel - he says that their first non-River experiments in it "broke something about space and time". As he isn't a Spiderman villain I assume it's more complicated than he did an experiment wrong and it created the River, doomed dead souls to purgatory and turned him into Necromancer Science Teacher Man.

Whatever happened it was quick and violent - Emperor says that's what creates angry/lingering ghosts and oh lord there's a lot of those on Earth.

Been paying close attention to Lyctor names and numbers. Anastasia (presumably of the Ninth, given her cavalier surname) doesn't get a title in the Dramatis Personae. Cytherea does, so it's not like betrayal gets you stripped of your title, unless it does but has to be significantly worse than uh trying to kill God.

She should have been a Lyctor - I'm sure I noted a description of there having been 8, and presumably the first doesn't get one. Also very curious about the Emperor's "guardian" who's apparently dead... unless that's also Anastasia? As a completely wild stab in the dark, is "A.L. her initials or is it standing for Alecto? I don't know who that is but you know.

The Resurrection Beasts are kind of boring so far but I get their role. They're initially referred to (I think) as the "cost" of reviving the planets but I don't believe this - I'm just past Harrow going on her first planet killing raid and we know that killing the planet's "soul" what creates a Resurrection Pichu. The planet soul stuff is a bit NK Jemisin but I assume NK would not like the comparison since she hates Earth all along stuff (which, yeah sure, but in that case lady, don't call your book Broken Earth and make the stinger "where the gently caress is the Moon lol"). The number of original Beasts doesn't add up to 9 either. Too lazy to go back and check whether it does correspond to the original number of Lyctors.

Lyctors have a link to their planets that is being kept from us, and possibly kept from them by the Emperor. He says they can't go back because it'll attract the Beast, but we know the Beast slowly tracks them across the universe and it takes years. They can go somewhat near Sol without danger, dropping by at mum's house for a week and then fast travelling back to the space station shouldn't endanger your home planet at all.

This is pretty straightforward I think but thanergy/thalergy (I hate these names thank you) aren't opposites - or, rather, they're two extremes of one energy like, uh, a battery of some kind. I think there's a bit of "equivalent exchange", as above so below going on - which would also suggest cavaliers take something from their necromancers. Not sure what or how that works with Lyctorhood, but I suspect even the normal cavaliers are never fully "gone" - the eyes thing again. It's an ongoing process, so it can be reversed, but should it be? Was John conducting some ritual/experiment to bring back the dead and caused all this in the first place... if so, maybe the whole Lyctor process is just his next theorem to finally succeed in whatever his original goal was?

Ortus is real and my friend and I want him to read the Noniad to me.

I have a sneaking suspicion time travel is going to come up at some point. If so then I can see why 3 books became 4. I kind of hope it doesn't but we'll see. There's too much people remembering things they shouldn't, or stuff like Gideon quoting the Bible. Some stuff in the first book made me think maybe these people have done this whole thing many, many times - maybe they're all clones, or they just get rezzed and sent to do it again until they get it right - but I don't remember exactly what and I don't think that can be quite right. Exactly how much did you "break time" my man.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 22, 2024

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You make some very good points. (Not telling you which!)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I wrote too much but I wanted 9 points and I'm off work the next few days so did this instead of finishing off some very boring tasks I had no motivation to do.

You're much more aware of what's going on than I was at this point in the story (I mainly wanted to know why Harrow was so hosed up).

I don't think it's a spoiler to say I think time travel is unlikely to happen in these books.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You make some very good points. (Not telling you which!)

Yes, about Ortus

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah, by far the thing I hope Tamsyn does other than finish the series, is give us more Noniad. Ortus rules!

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

silvergoose posted:

Ortus rules!

He's just ok in Nona.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I knew I'd enjoy these books but me and my wife are reading them at the same time and I love them. Gideon started out maybe a little YA-feeling for me, with the cool teen girl protagonist with a mysterious past who loves snarky one-liners, but it had me won over by shortly after their arrival at the bad mansion.

I'm about a third of the way through Harrow now and have a lot of theories which are probably entirely wrong. Should I post them and is this thread a safe place to be for someone who isn't really spoiled on anything upcoming

if you read backwards there will be lots of stuff that will reveal things you're probably better off encountering and being baffled by, but tamsyn loves her barely hinted at things so the thread is very helpful about identifying and explaining those. Read all three, post your impressions, then read the thread :D

E: those are excellent and interestingly right/wrong reckons, I'll just confirm that there's no time travel at all, lots of memory though and isn't that kind of the same thing, if u think about it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

sebmojo posted:

if you read backwards there will be lots of stuff that will reveal things you're probably better off encountering and being baffled by, but tamsyn loves her barely hinted at things so the thread is very helpful about identifying and explaining those. Read all three, post your impressions, then read the thread :D

E: those are excellent and interestingly right/wrong reckons, I'll just confirm that there's no time travel at all, lots of memory though and isn't that kind of the same thing, if u think about it

Yeah I've had a couple of minor spoilers just from, like, innocent Reddit threads (nothing major, but it adds up) so I'm largely not reading much about the books but I figured this was a safe enough space.

Also genuinely thanks for confirming there's no time travel lol. I figured/hoped it was probably more of an ancestral/soul memory thing... since it seems the process of dying and passing on has been interrupted by some big traumatic event... Wait does this series have the same plot as Death Stranding and/or Pillars of Eternity

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
oh you are just in for the biggest treats my friend, just the biggest treats

wait til you get to the end of Harrow, this train is Going Places(TM)

and don't forget to go back and read the short stories!!! they are Very Important, especially "As Yet Unsent" (read after Harrow) and "The Unwanted Guest" (read after Nona)

fwiw even after nona and all the shorts, we know what celestial body some of the Houses are based on, but not all of them

i have this fond and intense hope that tamsyn will do one of those giant lore books that lays out the entire universe, but i'm a worldbuilding nerd like that

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 22, 2024

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I had to read Harrow twice in a row because I realized I had not grasped hardly any of it the first time

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kesper North posted:

oh you are just in for the biggest treats my friend, just the biggest treats

wait til you get to the end of Harrow, this train is Going Places(TM)

and don't forget to go back and read the short stories!!! they are Very Important, especially "As Yet Unsent" (read after Harrow) and "The Unwanted Guest" (read after Nona)

fwiw even after nona and all the shorts, we know what celestial body some of the Houses are based on, but not all of them

i have this fond and intense hope that tamsyn will do one of those giant lore books that lays out the entire universe, but i'm a worldbuilding nerd like that

Yeah my wife said to definitely read the first two short stories after Harrow and the third after Nona.

Honestly I'm a huge lore nerd and I know Muir is too, she's said she loves Morrowind and I'm hoping she never played any of my mods (I wondered if I was the first to compare the Lyctor ritual to the Elder Scrolls lore concept of Enantiomorph, and while I was careful about threads I clicked because of spoilers, either I am the first or couldn't find anyone else saying it, and neither of those are good) but I'm surprised by how much this aspect has drawn in both me and a lot of other people.

Like, I've definitely seen people complain that Harrow onward are too focused on confusing narrative tricks and lore, but they seem to the vast minority. It's definitely a testament to her character writing that she can get away with this amount of Malazan-level cryptic weirdos mumbling about wizard nonsense while talking about teleportation rules without ever feeling like I'm reading some Brandon Sanderson poo poo or even losing most of the more normal people readers. I'm really impressed

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Wait till you find out how much of this is from Homestuck :sun:

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's definitely a testament to her character writing that she can get away with this amount of Malazan-level cryptic weirdos mumbling about wizard nonsense while talking about teleportation rules without ever feeling like I'm reading some Brandon Sanderson poo poo or even losing most of the more normal people readers. I'm really impressed

I think this works so well because while both TLT's and Sanderson's magic has rules, Muir makes hers feel more like a science still being studied. Both use the rules of magic as the basis of various plot beats and pull a new use out for a twist, but in TLT it more often comes across like people are following a chain of inquiry and experimentation to a conclusion when they pull out a new trick. While in Sanderson any new tricks feel more like... finding a new entry in the Big List of Rules just uncovered, or picking a new power on a skill tree. There's just not that same sense to it all between them.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kesper North posted:

Wait till you find out how much of this is from Homestuck :sun:

I'm vaguely aware and choose to remain ignorant because I loving hate Homestuck lol.

Look, it wears its influences on its sleevejacket. She was a FFX kid, I was a Tales of Symphonia kid. We meet in the middle where the River is an enjoyably blatant Gabriel riff

disposablewords posted:

I think this works so well because while both TLT's and Sanderson's magic has rules, Muir makes hers feel more like a science still being studied. Both use the rules of magic as the basis of various plot beats and pull a new use out for a twist, but in TLT it more often comes across like people are following a chain of inquiry and experimentation to a conclusion when they pull out a new trick. While in Sanderson any new tricks feel more like... finding a new entry in the Big List of Rules just uncovered, or picking a new power on a skill tree. There's just not that same sense to it all between them.

This is a good way of putting it, yeah

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Harrow was incredibly disorienting. I enjoyed it, but it really messed with my head.

I had re-read Gideon before, but some weeks previously so it wasn't super fresh, and I was feeling very gaslit for the first 50-60% of the book until I sorted out what was going on.

Was Gideon an unreliable narrator? Is Harrow? Did I just forget what the hell happened in the last book? Help!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Quinton posted:

Harrow was incredibly disorienting. I enjoyed it, but it really messed with my head.

I had re-read Gideon before, but some weeks previously so it wasn't super fresh, and I was feeling very gaslit for the first 50-60% of the book until I sorted out what was going on.

Was Gideon an unreliable narrator? Is Harrow? Did I just forget what the hell happened in the last book? Help!

Yes. Yes. And yes.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Quinton posted:

What you are feeling is normal and rational. All (well, most) will be explained. Yes, it will be worth it.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

I'm surprised no one has said it yet, you should also listen to the audio books. They're fantastic and make it a lot easier to tell the kids in Gideon apart.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Kesper North posted:

What you are feeling is normal and rational. All (well, most) will be explained. Yes, it will be worth it.

Absolutely. It was great.

Also, yes, the audiobooks are fantastic. Moira Quirk's delivery is just amazing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

mdemone posted:

I had to read Harrow twice in a row because I realized I had not grasped hardly any of it the first time
I've read it three times and I'm about to buy the audiobook because I'm still confused, and because y'all recommend it. (I hope it's buyable and not "rent it from Audible.com")

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

What are you confused about? It's a very reasonable state of mind but i think i understand most of what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I didn't read Harrow until quite a long time after reading Gideon and I'd forgotten a ton, but I just assumed that like most book sequels it would subtly restate the important plot points so I wouldn't get lost.