Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Phlegmish posted:

Started on Yakuza Kiwami 2. Faces look great in this one, hard to believe they were released so close together, but I guess it's a new engine. The controls being subtly different is tripping me up, but I'll get used to it.

Another observation is that the claw machine is loving impossible this time around. I might run out of yen before I get the plushie for this quest.

Look at this claw game noob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

Dumb question, but were any of the last umpteen Assassin's Creed games worth playing?

Yes, Origins, Odyssey, and Mirage are all for sure worth it. Valhalla feels like it got mixed reception. Shadows is being developed by the same team that made Odyssey, so i'm expecting I will enjoy that one.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Origins is bad, skip it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

Origins is bad, skip it.
:wrong:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Crossposting about Withering Rooms from the hidden gems thread because I liked it so much!

Owl Inspector posted:

Withering Rooms is a pretty special game from a solo dev. one of those ideal indie games that isn't something you've played five times already and doesn't feel predictable. It's a unique 2.5D horror-y RPG thing with a lot of resource management and an unusual format. it hasn't gotten much notice but there's a reason it's 96% positive on steam.

Your character is trapped in an endlessly-repeating dream of an asylum filled with undead and other trapped inmates. The mansion's layout is slightly randomized, and dying causes it to reset along with losing most of your items, so surviving is tense and has stakes. (This might make it sound like a rogue-whatever game, but it's not - this is a full-length game with start-to-finish progression through chapters and you never lose your story progress.) Armor and certain other items are always preserved on death, and as you explore you find shrines that let you pay specific materials to preserve more items of your choice, so your base options expand over time.

Story's not the primary focus but it's memorably bizarre as you learn what's going on with the dream and the characters are pretty entertaining with enjoyable writing.

There's a surprising amount of content with a lot of unique enemies and weapons/armor sets/tools designed to support a build focused on melee, ranged or spells. There are also quite a few options to distract enemies, lay traps for them or avoid them entirely instead of having to kill them, although I personally found it a lot easier and more profitable to simply kill things, so there's a bit of missed opportunity in the survival elements. The combat's also definitely janky and you have to get used to getting hit as an inevitability if you try to play a melee character like I did, but the game doesn't expect you to be perfect and it's balanced expecting you to take some hits if you try to fight. You're also allowed to die and retry on bosses without a reset.

The Curse mechanic is especially neat and touches a lot of different parts of the game. Casting spells, using more powerful tools and getting hit by certain attacks builds up your curse level, which rapidly kills you if it reaches maximum. But having higher curse also raises your luck and perception, which allows you to see ghosts and magic traps, and some gear gives stronger benefits at higher curse. Curse also morphs the environment around you, changing objects in the background to be more creepy and surreal, including removing hiding places and lootable containers, but also adding loot you can only access at high curse.

There's even a very substantial NG+ mode with a bunch of NG+ exclusive gear, new enemies and altered enemy placement, and an completely new objective/story path to pursue.

Every now and then I try weird games from solo devs on a whim and I'm definitely going to keep doing this because sometimes I feel like I struck gold with something like Withering Rooms. I was pretty sure I would like this one going in but I had no idea I would like it this much. Definitely going to be on my top 10 for the year!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thanks again to Subjunctive for the link; I have the RTX HDR working well now. I think there might be some issue with the way the max brightness is set, but it still looks better than it did before.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Origins is real good with a pretty anemic ending, but I also think it is completely overshadowed by Odyssey which I absolutely loved, and as mentioned by others Kassandra is the absolute best protagonist they've ever done in the series.

That said, do NOT get the Hidden Blade DLC, ugh.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Yakuza Kiwami ... I guess you can beat it pretty quickly if you ignore most of the side content.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

Dumb question, but were any of the last umpteen Assassin's Creed games worth playing?

The last one that I played was AC: Brotherhood, which according to Steam, was in 2014. I don't really remember anything of it

I recall that AC4 was well received, but I think that was after Revelations and AC3 ended up being below par. I have AC Origins on my Steam wishlist, because I remember someone in the thread said it was okay.

I should say that don't know if I still technically have any of the AC games I own on Steam anymore, since I recall with AC2, I had to log in to UPlay to start it, and there was that thing that Ubisoft said about removing games or deactivating accounts if you don't log into them for a long period of time.

I'll drop the hottest take imaginable having just gone through the series again this last year.

1 no, too aged.
2 yes, Ezio and Leonardo broventure
Brotherhood, no, holy poo poo it's so shallow and it's extremely weird about how it views women in ways I didn't realize when I was 18. It's living off it's launch memories.
Revelations yes, old man stabbing time, great story, concise
3 neutral. Conner got a lot better once I realized him being such an rear end is because everyone is so racist to him. Map is good, the exploration is fun, and the story is neat. But you gotta love the idea of it. I'd say no because the later games do it better. I liked it because I like the series, but it's not required.
Black Flag, neutral. The sailing is fun but extremely shallow. The story is rear end. Much like Brotherhood it's great because we were young when we played it, but boy it's a miserable story. I'd skip.
Rogue, yes Black Flag but better and you are Irish now. The tightly built games are best.
Unity yes? It was weird on release but Arno is fine and the whole Revolution thing is handled pretty well.
Syndicate maybe? It felt like this is where they really just said gently caress it and started making these games to be open world collectathons and kinda stopped caring.
Origins yes. It's Witcher 3 but instead of Geralt you are sad dad.
Odyssey yes. It's Witcher 3 but instead of Geralt you are merc lady who says Malaka
Valhalla no. It's way too loving big. If you really like Vikings and can just slam the main story maybe but you'll feel tempted to do the dumb poo poo and be pissed off by the end.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I completely missed Mirage as being a thing, hadn't even heard of it before now. What's it like?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

use playnite

if only it worked this way, but of course players at all mmr levels will get extremely mad about losing mmr regardless of their own level of skill if they believe a teammate to be playing "non-optimally"
if you're an A+ player but want to play casually and do goofy stuff that brings you down to a B- level, all the natural B- skill level players there will still call you racial slurs over voice chat for those nonoptimal goofy choices

That's why you never tell your players their MMR.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think everybody should know if they've had measles, mumps or rubella :colbert:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

credburn posted:

Origins is bad, skip it.

Origins is great actually, but probably pick one rather than do Odyssey as well.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Don't know if anyone here is playing through Lorelei and the Laser Eyes, but it's really great. Kinda spooky surreal adventure puzzle game.

After like 10 hours I finally got stuck on a puzzle and I'm hoping someone here has gotten far enough and can point me in the right direction without giving it away. Not really spoilery but I'll do it anyway opened up all 4 doors connected to the horse heads and can't figure out what to do with the rotating blocks behind the doors

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Origins has a solid first act, but the rest of the game is tedious level gatekeeping garbage with bad plot twists and an unsatisfying climax and conclusion.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Anything that flows quick like scourge bringer with a bit more depth?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mescal posted:

Anything that flows quick like scourge bringer with a bit more depth?

Star of Providence, possibly

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I respect that people can enjoy games like AC origins, but I am not one of those people. I really enjoyed the formula of the earlier games and do not like the open world collectathons, you finish the first town and you have seen 90% of the variety the next 90 hours will have. This is speaking as someone who can rarely play a game longer than a week or finish many games in general tbh.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Surprised at all the love for Odyssey, I thought the general tone of discussion when it came out was that the game was overstuffed and the story was incoherent.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Is it even higher? How? Kiryu can't walk down the street without getting assaulted, and I'm not even carrying the photo.

I had a few instances of finishing a battle, trying to turn around and taking literally 2-3 steps and getting into another one. I think though that it's specific to some particular cities? It didn't seem as bad in Kamurucho.

Edit: Also since you started 2 and from your previous posts I gather you liked Majima more - there's a short side-game/story where you play as him in Kiwami 2. It's like 3 or 4 chapters long, each one unlocking after 2-3 main-game chapters, so try to pick it up (there may be a popup in the main game to remind you).

mmkay fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 19, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mordja posted:

Surprised at all the love for Odyssey, I thought the general tone of discussion when it came out was that the game was overstuffed and the story was incoherent.

It is overstuffed. If it wasn't for Kasandra's charisma, I wouldn't have suffered through the bloat.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Mordja posted:

It's gloriously overstuffed and incoherent, but who cares cause its fun to cruise around the beautiful med killing cultists and bedding everyone u can

ymmv

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Mordja posted:

Probably different groups of people. I definitely rate Odyssey lower than Origins because it was even bigger than Origins and I remember thinking on release that Origins was already HUGE. Kassandra (sorry didn't try Alexios, he looked boring), while a fun character, didn't do much for me in terms of emotional connection unlike Bayek, and that's why I like Bayek the best.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

the plot was whatever, but I liked Kassandra's personal struggle to reunite her family

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mordja posted:

It is overstuffed, and the story gets dumber and dumber the more Ubi makes it all about AC Alien conspiracies and modern days. Also, there's an absolutely jarring baby-centric DLC (because of said lovely AC lore).

But it's freaking gorgeous, Kassandra is fun, you absolutely don't need to 100% it, and a DLC even gets you to visit Elysium, Hades and Atlantis which is awesome.

Also, it made chuds mad because you can play as a woman, there are other women in the game, and Kassandra can even win the Olympics. :discourse:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I didn't play it until a couple of years after it came out, but I recalled seeing posts here when it first came out raving about it, showing off the beautiful vistas etc. When I finally got to play it, it was fantastic, and I had no idea how great Kassandra was going to be.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I found the Atlantis et al DLC pretty unfun. Ubi content without the polish. Was frustrating to play the way mediocre PS2 era games often were.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's kind of weird how much better a protag Kassandra was than Alexios, while Alexios is actually pretty effective as an antagonist in that situation. Got the feeling that this was the intended default but even today you have to have a kind of moral courage to have a sole female protagonist.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Controversial opinion: While Kassandra is a perfectly fine protagonist, I find the extreme amounts of adoration she gets on this forum and elsewhere to be baffling. Like, she's decently fun but I just didn't find her to be this game-carrying absolute revelation of character design other people seem to.

Also to the above, I actually tried both (though I only really played most of the game with Kassandra) and they literally have the same dialog. Like, they have the same drat lines with only very minor exceptions. Kassandra's VA is a bit better, I guess, but I also didn't think the differences were that dramatic. I dunno the whole thing is just kinda weird to me.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I liked playing as bayek because everyone was always so excited to see him. certified nice guy simulator

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Still waiting for the first mainline AC game where a woman is the sole protagonist and not just one of two choices. I think the only AC games where that was true were the spinoffs Liberation and AC: China.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I liked playing as bayek because everyone was always so excited to see him. certified nice guy simulator

*man begs for help with his taxes *
Bayek: I’ll work something out with the tax collector
quest objective immediately updates to: Kill tax collector

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
What I really enjoyed about Odyssey was the cult system. Fairly early in the story, you unlock a menu with a web of interconnected cultists to assassinate. In order to do that, you have to discover each of their real identities. They're all integrated into the game in different ways. Some are part of the main storyline, some you have to do side quests to find, some are just out in the open world in both cities and the wilderness, some are part of the region takeovers, some are mercenaries, some are ship captains, some are civilians you can kill in one hit, and some are tough boss fights. Every time you defeated one you would get clues to find others, all with the goal of eventually finding the leader in the center of the web. It was an engaging way to do an open world game that encourages you to interact with all of its systems, which is something that most Ubisoft style games don't really have.

Although annoyingly, the leader of the cult becomes obvious fairly early on with just a handful of clues, but you can't be clever and assassinate them early until you've killed all of the others.

Valhalla had a similar system, but it was much less interesting and pretty much just boiled down to a handful of boss fights roaming the countryside.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Infinity Gaia posted:

Controversial opinion: While Kassandra is a perfectly fine protagonist, I find the extreme amounts of adoration she gets on this forum and elsewhere to be baffling. Like, she's decently fun but I just didn't find her to be this game-carrying absolute revelation of character design other people seem to.

Also to the above, I actually tried both (though I only really played most of the game with Kassandra) and they literally have the same dialog. Like, they have the same drat lines with only very minor exceptions. Kassandra's VA is a bit better, I guess, but I also didn't think the differences were that dramatic. I dunno the whole thing is just kinda weird to me.

Not sure what you mean by weird. She's great, but she doesn't do it for you as a character, and that's okay. It's going to happen. I think she's gorgeous and hilarious, and she was a female protagonist of a kind we still don't get enough of.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jokymi posted:

Valhalla had a similar system, but it was much less interesting and pretty much just boiled down to a handful of boss fights roaming the countryside.

It felt like a vestigial inclusion that was just there because Odyssey had it. I hope Shadows expands on the idea. I’d love for clue gathering/solving to be a little more organic, and less rigid breadcrumbing.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

the plot was whatever, but I liked Kassandra's personal struggle to reunite her family

So they could crew her boat, in my case

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
kasanrda is hot

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rinkles posted:

It is overstuffed. If it wasn't for Kasandra's charisma, I wouldn't have suffered through the bloat.

Yeah the protagonist is just very charming.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

I kinda feel the same way.

Don't get me wrong, I think Kassandra is a great protagonist but in the plot she's fundamentally a Chosen One belonging to a super special bloodline that gives her super powers, who amorally plays both the Athens forces and Spartan forces against each other for the sake of finding her family and doesn't really have much motivation beyond that, her love of money and just wanting a good time. She's essentially just the Ancient Greek equivalent of Black Flag's protagonist Edward, except that game went through great lengths to detail what a selfish and awful person Edward is whilst Kassandra essentially gets a free pass. She's got charisma which makes her extremely likable but her actual writing is pretty weak I feel.

Meanwhile Origins protagonist, Bayek tends to get passed over in these forums and his deal of being a deeply religious man, struggling with the grief of losing his son in such a way that prevents him from entering the Egyptian afterlife that he believes in and knowing that on some level he's at fault for it, while losing himself in violence during his quest for vengeance which spirals out of control into igniting the Assassin vs Templar conflict the entire rest of the series hinges on is a lot more interesting to me.

Both are better than Valhalla's Eivor though, who was extremely boring. You'd think a viking protagonist would be interesting but Ubisoft found a way to make them a charisma vacuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bayek's main issue as a protagonist is that he doesn't actually do any of the protagonisting. It's not a great exaggeration to say that the entire plot of Origins is literally communicated in two cutscenes after interstitial chapters with Aya who makes everything happen offscreen. It's kind of a bizarre way to show the "origins" of the assassins when it's mostly just a trivial thing that occurs after the main story is almost over.