Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Oh poo poo is that a Del 12" single sticking out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes it is! Twas a good day at the good will

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

It happens just often enough to make you go through the massive pile of white gospel and Christmas albums.

Sometimes it’s even worth digging through shellac. I found a 78 rpm of the Ink Spots’ “I Don’t Want to Set the World on Fire” and the Vault Dweller in me snatched it up instantly.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
At the Neil Hamburger show. I should buy an album but I went with the Show Bag collectible souvenirs of Neil Hamburger.

I already have his first LP from 1996.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

pwn posted:

At the Neil Hamburger show. I should buy an album but I went with the Show Bag collectible souvenirs of Neil Hamburger.

I already have his first LP from 1996.

If anyone is going to see him in the near future, I will pay for that Aerosmith tribute record.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Pappyland posted:

If anyone is going to see him in the near future, I will pay for that Aerosmith tribute record.

It's $40. I appreciate it but papa just don't have $40 to blow on a 5" joke record

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Pappyland posted:

Yeah, I wish he had it for sale when I saw him

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I found Still Dwelling at a store for $12 and I'm telling you it's a really great record, one of those cool parody records which is actually better than the thing it is parodying

pwn
May 27, 2004

UK RSD repress. $51 shipped to the States from Jeepster. Immensely painful but now I finally have it on a large plastic disc instead of just a small plastic disc so. :toot:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

did a trip to Los Angeles over the weekend and went a bit too hard...

Saturday:

Sunday:

Holy Grail Finds:

1959 Repress, Mono, 47 W 63rd St Address

Original 1978 Los Angeles Capitol Pressing in shrink with hype sticker

Original 1979 LA Pressing in shrink with hype sticker

Original 1987 Promo, Audiophile Vinyl

Original 1965 Two Eye Pressing

Original 1988 Carrollton Pressing

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Nice haul

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Very cool. Where all did you go in LA for that impressive haul?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Good lord those are some incredible records.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

McCoy Pauley posted:

Very cool. Where all did you go in LA for that impressive haul?

Saturday was Sybilline Records in Pasadena and Sunday was Amoeba and The Record Parlour in Hollywood, Going Underground Records in Little Tokyo and Arroyo Records in Highland Park.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I've been following Black Light by Groove Armada on discogs for a couple of years, and because it's been out of print for over a decade, prices usually range from $120 to $400. I missed that it was recently reprinted for Record Store Day, and I managed to snag a copy for $30 on ebay, and I am very excited about it!

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

dorium posted:

Saturday was Sybilline Records in Pasadena and Sunday was Amoeba and The Record Parlour in Hollywood, Going Underground Records in Little Tokyo and Arroyo Records in Highland Park.

Writing these down for my LA trip.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
very envious of that la haul. i am going to nyc soon and i really want to check out some record stores outside of my usual beat but im flying with just a carry on so idk if it's realistic to bring anything back safely

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

dorium posted:

Nice -- thanks. I know a few of those, but haven't been to Sybilline or Going Underground, so going to add those to my lists for the next time I'm there.

Last time I was out that way, I found good stuff at Record Safari in Atwater Village and Rockaway Records in Silver Lake (although note the latter I guess usually requires an appointment to shop, though they were cool about it when I just showed up close to their closing time without an appointment). Also had an interesting visit to Atomic Records in Burbank, where there wasn't time to shop because they were setting up the store to film an episode of The Muppets show in there ("Not Kermit," the guy at the store said, sounding like everybody had asked him that, just the band -- which sounds cooler, to be honest).

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

thathonkey posted:

very envious of that la haul. i am going to nyc soon and i really want to check out some record stores outside of my usual beat but im flying with just a carry on so idk if it's realistic to bring anything back safely

you could always mail them back to your primary residence. pretty painless process.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

flubber nuts posted:

you could always mail them back to your primary residence. pretty painless process.

Yeah I was going to do this, but got too lazy to get to a post office. Thankfully I had bought new luggage and brought along some cardboard filler. made careful stacks and wrapped them in filler and taped them shut with masking tape and tucked them in the clothes. Then I did carry-on with the pricier ones and that was that. nothing damaged.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I travel a poo poo load for work and make a point of record shopping while out and about. My process is to take my (expandable hard case) carry on, with a pack down duffle bag on me (https://wallacemercantileshop.com/products/pocketable-duffle-black). I pack my records within cardboard wrapped by clothes in the hardcase and put extra poo poo into the duffle. I check the hard case on the way home and carry on the duffle. Bought hundreds of records like this from all over NA and EU with very few issues.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Just did my first playback of Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers and to preface I had the guy at Arroyo Records play it back for me and it skipped and pop on Side 1. Still bought it hoping for the best. After one trip through my Humminguru nary a skip or pop to be heard on either side. Absolutely stunning record playback wise and as soon as I cleaned up the sleeve a bunch of dirt and grime just came right off.

This was an absolute steal. For a 65 year old record its built like a tank. I saw the surface marks when I bought it and none of it affected playback.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

dorium posted:

Just did my first playback of Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers and to preface I had the guy at Arroyo Records play it back for me and it skipped and pop on Side 1. Still bought it hoping for the best. After one trip through my Humminguru nary a skip or pop to be heard on either side. Absolutely stunning record playback wise and as soon as I cleaned up the sleeve a bunch of dirt and grime just came right off.

This was an absolute steal. For a 65 year old record its built like a tank. I saw the surface marks when I bought it and none of it affected playback.

What did you use to clean the sleeve? Dry or wet?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

This Joywave album that comes in a pop-up sleeve is sweet
https://joywavemerch.com/products/permanent-pleasure-lp-luxurious-red-carpet-variant

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

BigFactory posted:

What did you use to clean the sleeve? Dry or wet?

Just a spray or two into a paper towel and lightly go over the cover. Test it on a corner first to make sure the paper material doesn’t have any issues with absorption but otherwise I get all sorts of weird poo poo off with this. Those glossy outers from the 50’s/60’s get a lot of help from this stuff.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Oh hell yeah, new Melt-Banana out August 23rd!

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

caligulamprey posted:

Oh hell yeah, new Melt-Banana out August 23rd!

I saw them 20ish years ago here in Portland. Dante's? Satyricon? loving rad show.

New all vinyl record mix is finally up. Mostly Jazz/Funk stuff.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-55-ft-pette-moss/

and stay tuned I might have a live stream DJ set coming up as well.

pwn
May 27, 2004

sporklift posted:

I saw them 20ish years ago here in Portland. Dante's? Satyricon? loving rad show.

New all vinyl record mix is finally up. Mostly Jazz/Funk stuff.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-55-ft-pette-moss/

and stay tuned I might have a live stream DJ set coming up as well.

I hope I can listen to it later tonight! Got this dumb poo poo last week

It's a nice app but I know how to use a computer and if they wanna play like that i will cheerfully delete it and just dl mixes from the site and load it into VLC on my phone.

pwn
May 27, 2004

In other news, giving this a spin before giving it to my friend for her birthday next month.

https://twitter.com/gecafe/status/1793778210326376597

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

I hope I can listen to it later tonight! Got this dumb poo poo last week

It's a nice app but I know how to use a computer and if they wanna play like that i will cheerfully delete it and just dl mixes from the site and load it into VLC on my phone.

Yeah. It's just a nag screen. Pops up for me when I switch between mixes. I just dismiss it. I really hope they don't go down the road of making listeners pay. That would be the death of the site.

I'm helping a friend go through some boxes of 45's. I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread. Fun but exhausting. Fourteen boxes of 500 ish records. Finally got the though the box of Duke records. Got about $400 for it all said and done. Not bad. Now I have about 1500 Epic record promo 45's to sort...

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

flubber nuts posted:

yeah thats a good idea. anyone happen to know good record stores worth checking out in manhattan? not sure if ill have a chance to make it to brooklyn or not

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
placed some orders today

Bright Eyes - A Collection Of Songs Written And Recorded 1995-1997
Bright Eyes - A Christmas Album
Say Anything - ...Is Committed
Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow

The 2 Bright Eyes albums are the ones I was missing and now I'll have them all. Say Anything's album came out today and I wasn't aware, but I haven't liked anything from them since 2012's Anarchy, My Dear, and then they went on hiatus a few years ago after their previous album Oliver Appropriate which I did not like. I heard a song or two from the new one and I like them so let's give the whole thing a shot.

Just kinda randomly thought to see if I could get a copy of Blazing Arrow and my local record store had it so I couldn't resist. Gonna swing by after work in a little bit.

Edit:
Went to pick up Blackalicious and found Hot Mulligan's I Won't Reach Out To You EP also

RubberLuffy fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 25, 2024

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Went to pizza records today. I feel like I hit the jackpot.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

thathonkey posted:

yeah thats a good idea. anyone happen to know good record stores worth checking out in manhattan? not sure if ill have a chance to make it to brooklyn or not

jazz record center
academy records
a-1 record shop
village revival records
54 vintage vinyl

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

for rephlex fans. bochum welts module 2 just got a repress this year with five bonus tracks. hell yeah.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I had a minor thrift score and a major thrift score today:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Hell yeah

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Sup record thread, a few weeks ago I DJed a few gigs on the road, one of which was with the Sundown Soul Club in Las Vegas.

They recorded my boogie and disco set, mixing blemishes and all. All of the records are original pressings, some are rare some are cheap. You all should check it out. The party was bumpin.

https://www.mixcloud.com/scottjab/sundown-soul-club-2024-05-10/

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

free to a good home :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

flubber nuts posted:

free to a good home :)

I took them in, looking forward to taking them out for a walk tonight. Thanks!