Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

whydirt posted:

What? This is either naive, cynical, or both. Call-in, write-in, etc drives effect legislation quite often

Hyperbole is often used for comedic purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
If TikTok is a national security threat and enables foreign influence campaigns then they can go ahead and ban Fox News and literally all of the NewsCorp companies too then.

Also Twitter too of course.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 9, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

koolkal posted:

The main way this bill succeeds is if it is on the grounds of Tiktok being a national security threat since it's owned and controlled by a foreign enemy (China).

That is, in fact, the official legal language in the bill. There just aren't any other significant social media networks whose corporation is beholden to a... uh, lemme check the language. Foreign adversaries, with a particular notation for Bytedance/tiktok to make it ever so slightly harder to litigate. Current countries:

(1) The People's Republic of China, including the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (China);

(2) Republic of Cuba (Cuba);

(3) Islamic Republic of Iran (Iran);

(4) Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea);

(5) Russian Federation (Russia); and

(6) Venezuelan politician Nicolás Maduro (Maduro Regime).

with the possible exception of Russia I rather doubt there are any other relevant social media platforms at all, never mind large ones; there might be some Russian-owned webforum out there that could be caught in the net

e: oops mistook which thread i was in and apparently I posted this last page basically

reignonyourparade posted:

Looking forward to the forced divestment of LiveJournal:v:

oooo yeah if anybody cared about livejournal i think they might actually be in the crosshairs

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 9, 2024

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Looking forward to the forced divestment of LiveJournal:v:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1788375084886892947

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

The easiest way to get media from your Switch, thanks Elon.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

whydirt posted:

What? This is either naive, cynical, or both. Call-in, write-in, etc drives effect legislation quite often

cynically naive and naively cynical are both incredibly good usernames/band names

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
Wrong thread

shimmy shimmy fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 9, 2024

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Why yes, I've blocked alot of Twitter advertisers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

“Uh, yeah, I—uh, I have a 150-pound pet I need to, uh, incinerate. Should I take his clothes off first?”

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1791928916564922473

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://x.com/PineCellar/status/1797001753503875081

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

the tear jerking prequel to bowling for columbine

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
So what it say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
Esteemed X poster @rapingforhitler had not violated any rules in the reported post, and would not be punished in any way.

But in a shocking twist, that user had already been suspended for something else, so it ended up being a moot point.