Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Light Gun Man posted:

my cat seems to only wanna sleep and occasionally go outside. I hope he's getting some exercise out there, but I would like to find something he'd enjoy indoors to play with too. I've tried your usual basic cat toys, balls lasers etc, but he doesn't seem too interested in any so far. any somewhat more esoteric suggestions for like a game I can play with him?

I might have asked something similar before and forgot, sorry if so!
some treats tied up loosely in a small hand towel

or something like this

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07X8SYYXK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My cats' exercise is mostly ambushing each other and chasing treats I throw down the stairs. As kittens they loved teaser wands but it's real hard to keep them interested 6 years later.

The more aloof one will play at night when we're asleep because we have a little box of kitty toys and stuff is always missing in the morning (I know it's her because the other one has to sleep on top of my feet every night).

Basically they'll take care of themselves given the opportunity.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

My cats response this morning to putting down the same exact loving can of food she begs for and scarfed down yesterday and every day before that for the last 2 years:

“what the gently caress is this gross poo poo I aint eating that”

:psyduck:

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Maybe the can was spoiled somehow? I’ve had it happen with pouched wet food once or twice, cats refused to touch food from one pouch but ate normally when I gave them the same stuff from another pouch.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I swapped the cats from one room to another this morning. The new cat immediately wanted back into the bedroom, to get to the bed she spent most of her time sleeping on, so I think it's going to be good for her to spend today and tonight getting more comfortable in the living room.

They saw each other for a few seconds while the door was open and it seemed to increase their tension, there was even some subsequent hissing at the closed door that separates the room, but thankfully since the door was shut nothing could come of it and by the time I left for work they both seemed calm in their respective rooms.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
edit: removed as I think we resolved the situation!

melon cat fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 15, 2024

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
We have a male cat who we love and is such a goof but he likes to pee inside. Without getting too much into the specifics, it seems pretty deeply ingrained and he seems to have too much energy and doesn't know what to do with himself, and he may be getting stressed out by the presence of MANY neighborhood cats? He is a former stray who we found living under a bush at our old apt. We have tried many things to help with the situation but nothing has worked, including meds and behavior stuff. He seems to have a lot of anxiety. Attached is a picture, but that's not really what my question is about.

We have a small but fenced-in yard. The fence is a kind of net thing attached to an existing chain link fence, and I think it's specifically for cats. So they can run around and stuff via the cat door, which is cool. Last week our guy brought a pigeon inside, which was terrible. We live in the desert though and while we hope to have grass this spring, for now it remains a dirt/sand kind of blank space. We have an aluminum shed in the yard as well, toward the middle of our quarter (half?) acre of backyard.

To give all 3 cats something to do/him a reason to stop peeing, I want to build/place some kind of structure in the yard. does this make sense? I am of limited means, but would like some...any kind of arrangement that maybe lets the cats jump onto the shed and/or climb on something. Or even something as simple as a wooden board connecting 2 chairs or something super simple. Ideas? I'm not mechanically inclined. My cat used to really like climbing trees, so I'm sure she'd appreciate anything to climb, too.

Oh, lastly there is no drift wood really of any kind out here. And we have considered planting something like a tree, but think we will be moving sometime soon. Here is 🐈

this is from recently when he had a lump on his jaw :( but he's ok now. it also shows the yard kind of. He lost his collar from escaping (bad, dumb cat)

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Here's some better pictures of him, our good boy eggbert

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

You mean a catio? They're a good idea, but you can't half rear end them or they can be dangerous. You should either buy a prefab one and have it professionally installed, or if you DIY it, there's plenty of YouTube tutorials. Just make sure you build something secure and safe (and probably don't do it if you're renting).

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Nah, the whole yard is a catio already. It's all fenced in, except it's flat and dusty and has no trees or anything to climb. I'm just having a hard time conceiving of any kind of climbable structure, much less one that lets them get onto the shed roof. I'll have to look on craigslist, I guess.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Nah, the whole yard is a catio already. It's all fenced in, except it's flat and dusty and has no trees or anything to climb. I'm just having a hard time conceiving of any kind of climbable structure, much less one that lets them get onto the shed roof. I'll have to look on craigslist, I guess.

Maybe a cheap wooden step ladder? Cover the steps with carpet to make it easier to climb.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh. Just about anything will do, then, really. An outdoor table, a shelf, etc. Again, look at catios on youtube and see what kind of outdoor climbable structures they set up in there - but a cat won't be picky as long as it's a flat surface they can jump up to. If you want to get a bit crafty, wrap a 2x4 in thick twine and stand it up to make a "tree" he can climb.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Wilkins Micawber posted:

a cat can absolutely climb a fence, if you're concerned about escapes

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you have any tools at all (hand tools will take longer but work fine, all you need is a saw, a staple gun, and a glue gun) hunt around on youtube for diy pvc cat trees. There's a ton of ideas out there. Home Depot even has some branded tutorials on how to make stuff (because they want you to buy the rope and pvc from them).

I've done it before and they look can look pretty nice and you'll end up with something that fits your situation exactly.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Peace and stability has returned to my house hold by keeping the cats in separate rooms. The new cat stays in the bedroom, the old cat has the run of the living room and kitchen .They're safe, they're relative happy, it's a decent starting position. But where do I go from here? I'm struggling to progress to the next step. Here's some issues I'm running into:

If I try to feed them on either side of the closed door 1) They don't seem all that willing to eat there 2) I've made a mess more than once with the wet food. I might need something better than "the wet food bowl placed on a hand towel"

If I try to switch them into the other room, they both don't like it and wait and the door and whine, but the second I open it they're face to face and ready to fight.

Relatedly, the one time (yesterday) I tried to socialize them by just having them in the same room it immediately went bad. Instead of sort of giving each other space, the new cat went straight towards the old cat, and I had to
immediately pick up the new cat and put her back in the bedroom.

In fact, while typing this out just now in the living room, I heard a hiss behind me - the existing cat had been sitting on the floor near my PC, and my girlfriend had stepped into the kitchen and forgot to close the door behind her. The new cat came out of the bedroom, went straight to the older cat and, when the older cat ran away, the new cat made a half hearted lunge at her that I only think was half hearted because I yelled and stepped in between them. We put her back in the bedroom. She whined we picked her up but was otherwise docile, and seems happy enough to be back in the bedroom.

I was looking online to maybe buy some sort of magnet mesh curtain for the bedroom doorway? Something that would let them see each other but not actually let them touch?

I don't want to rush things, and if the answer is to just keep them in separate rooms for the next two weeks, or the next two months, OK, I can do that, but I don't want to fail to take some necessary next step from inactivity.

Would it be a decent plan to just keep them separated and try another supervised co-habitation once every weekend and look for the instance where the newer cat doesn't just bee line towards the older cat and start a confrontation?

Typing this all out it seems bad, but really there's a lot to be thankful for - they're both having no problem living in their rooms, they eat food if it's away from the door, they have no problem using the litter boxes, and the new cat doesn't really seem to mind if she's left in the bedroom for hours, she's older and spent most of her time asleep on the bed in her old house anyway. And the existing kitty doesn't seem to mind sleeping alone in the living room, which she'd do about half the time before anyway. Unless something changes it seems like things could stay like this for as long as necessary.

Edit: I want to reiterate that I'm not trying to rush things, I know it hasn't even been one week yet. Just sort of checking and airing my thoughts and concerns, I appreciate all the help and feedback I've gotten so far.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

You're going to have to let them work out their issues. They're establishing communication/signaling norms and fighting over dominance. Those problems aren't going to be solved by keeping them separated.

The new cat will always make a bee line for your old cat and start a confrontation whenever it's given the chance, until their dominance and cohabitation issues are settled. Each sees the other as an intruder that has to be confronted.

Try something like a toddler gate, where they can see each other but touch is limited so they can start to communicate. They'll still try to swat through it, but the other can back away.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I thought about getting a gate, but couldn't either cat just jump over it super easily? Do they make really tall ones?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Get multiple and stack them in a doorway.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I thought about getting a gate, but couldn't either cat just jump over it super easily? Do they make really tall ones?

I linked it up thread, but this worked wonders for us: https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Thickened-Resistant-Kitchen-Closure/dp/B09MVP3LQ8/

That way they can see each other, and even bap at each other, but can't actually get to one another. Plus you can just peel it off when you're done (though uh, do note if you're renting that it might damage the paint a little bit!)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That looks absolutely perfect, thank you!

I'll try to be careful with it regarding the paint, good tip.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Probably get some bowls for wet food, and don't be afraid of hissing and swatting that's how they sort their poo poo out.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Organza Quiz posted:

Probably get some bowls for wet food, and don't be afraid of hissing and swatting that's how they sort their poo poo out.

Ceramic or metal bowls, to add to this. Plastic ones harbour bacteria and can give your cat an infection pretty easily (this happened to Quill when she was a kitten).

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Currently I feed both cats out of an assortment of ceramic ramekins, because it keeps them from whining so much about seeing the bottom of the bowl, even a small amount of food looks like a cornucopia.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I hate spring. I swear I’ve brushed an entire third cat out of my cats and the little shits are STILL SHEDDING.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

My cat's been farting a lot more recently. We already have him on prescription anti-fart food and put an anti-fart powder into his food, but it's getting bad. Any other tips for dealing with cat farts? The vet doesn't have any other suggestions.

Also the general question of trying to get him to drink more water. I've tried ice cubes in the water, I've bought several different drinking fountains. We have him on wet food which gets him some water, but I think he needs more.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Can you massage his belly? That might at least make the farts all come out at once. It's also possible he's allergic to something in the food (or conceivably something else he eats, if there's plants or human leftovers around). Maybe the anti fart food is pro fart food for him.

You could also try giving him (uncarbonated) mineral water to drink for a few days, magnesium can help with stomach issues.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

pidan posted:

Can you massage his belly? That might at least make the farts all come out at once. It's also possible he's allergic to something in the food (or conceivably something else he eats, if there's plants or human leftovers around). Maybe the anti fart food is pro fart food for him.

You could also try giving him (uncarbonated) mineral water to drink for a few days, magnesium can help with stomach issues.

He definitely farts way more if we try taking him off his current diet, so it helps a ton.

I don't know if I want to try the massage option, I don't want more concentrated cat farts briefly, instead of them spread throughout the day and often in rooms I'm not at the time. I do know if we startle him it makes him fart.

Uncarbonated mineral water is a good idea. I'll double check with the vet before doing that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jack B Nimble posted:

Currently I feed both cats out of an assortment of ceramic ramekins, because it keeps them from whining so much about seeing the bottom of the bowl, even a small amount of food looks like a cornucopia.

Our eldest gato doesn’t like his whiskers to touch the bowl sides, so he will stand next to a mostly-full bowl and scream at you until you recreate the mashed potato scene from Close Encounters, but with cat food.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib

Deviant posted:

a cat can absolutely climb a fence, if you're concerned about escapes

I wouldn't put it past our 3 goofballs, but it's like a dog fence. So it has an extra hingey top part that is designed to bend down if the pet puts weight on it. It actually works remarkably well, though we have had other issues (namely random cats dive-bombing into the yard and getting trapped and freaking out in the middle of the night, gaps caused by wind, etc.) Don't besmirch the fence.

But thank you all for the suggestions. I have a big thing of sisal twine that I've been meaning to make some cat furniture with. Right now I'm leaning toward zip tying a few wooden pallets together to make some kind of structure. Probably 3 to make a sort of cat table? And/or 2 end-to-end to make a climbable ladder to the shed roof.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

MrYenko posted:

Our eldest gato doesn’t like his whiskers to touch the bowl sides, so he will stand next to a mostly-full bowl and scream at you until you recreate the mashed potato scene from Close Encounters, but with cat food.

My two have been happier to finish their food since I switched to wide shallow bowls (these)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Screen door is up and they're willing to eat on either side of it, and willing to play or be petted by someone on each side of the door. There's some whining and hissing but it can't escalate.

So, do this until...what? Should I be looking to see them booping noses through the fence at some distant point in the future?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

Screen door is up and they're willing to eat on either side of it, and willing to play or be petted by someone on each side of the door. There's some whining and hissing but it can't escalate.

So, do this until...what? Should I be looking to see them booping noses through the fence at some distant point in the future?

Give it a week or so, probably. Look for them to start exhibiting curiosity about each other and a general relaxation in each others' presence. Then open it enough for them to touch noses and see how it goes from there.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Can't speak for everyone, but for our cats I knew it was time when they'd sort of just calmly sit on opposite sides of the gate, try and touch noses, and just be more curious rather than standoff-ish. Also occasionally they'd try to start a wrestling match with the gate between them which was always funny to watch.

Ultimately though, even when they were seemingly totally chill with each other it was months of wrestles occasionally devolving into hisses and growls and chases as they worked out how much play was too much and stuff like that. But now they're pretty much completely fine, and they almost laid in the same bed the other day! The younger guy doesn't seem to really get cuddles though, so when the year older cat tried to lay down with him in the bed to watch birds it quickly turned into another wrestling match lol

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I've also had cats who, despite a very careful, slow introduction, following to the letter of what I was supposed to do, still hated each other with a violent passion. So YMMV.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Ultimately though, even when they were seemingly totally chill with each other it was months of wrestles occasionally devolving into hisses and growls and chases as they worked out how much play was too much and stuff like that. But now they're pretty much completely fine, and they almost laid in the same bed the other day! The younger guy doesn't seem to really get cuddles though, so when the year older cat tried to lay down with him in the bed to watch birds it quickly turned into another wrestling match lol

Mine are brother and sister and grew up with each other and their play still devolves into hissing and growls and hiding sometimes. The brother is just much bigger and forgets to moderate himself, but they’re always friends afterwards so I don’t worry too much about it :shrug:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Light Gun Man posted:

my cat seems to only wanna sleep and occasionally go outside. I hope he's getting some exercise out there, but I would like to find something he'd enjoy indoors to play with too. I've tried your usual basic cat toys, balls lasers etc, but he doesn't seem too interested in any so far. any somewhat more esoteric suggestions for like a game I can play with him?

I might have asked something similar before and forgot, sorry if so!

My sympathies, my cat is like this, too. A couple suggestions:

I've discovered that, although my cat doesn't care for laser pointers, he really likes light bounced off a hand mirror and other kinds of larger light patches slowly moving along the wall and floor. I also got him a nightlight that projects stars onto the ceiling (like this) and created a kind of paper lid for it that only shows a few stars at a time (he gets overwhelmed** if all the stars shine at once), and I turn the lights out and hold the nightlight in my hand to shine the stars slowly across the floor.

My cat also really likes silvervine (but not catnip), so sprinkling that on stuffed toys and hiding the toys in spots for him to sniff out gets him moving around a little more and stimulating his brain.

**My poor cat is very easily overwhelmed. Any toy that makes noise, moves through the air, or moves on its own triggers either his Flight or Freeze response. He can handle other toys like balls or little stuffed mice on string pulled along the floor for maybe 5 minutes max before he either comes running over to me to hide behind my legs, or he just shuts down with a glassy-eyed 1000-yard-stare. :(

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Rabbit Hill posted:

My sympathies, my cat is like this, too. A couple suggestions:

I've discovered that, although my cat doesn't care for laser pointers, he really likes light bounced off a hand mirror and other kinds of larger light patches slowly moving along the wall and floor. I also got him a nightlight that projects stars onto the ceiling (like this) and created a kind of paper lid for it that only shows a few stars at a time (he gets overwhelmed** if all the stars shine at once), and I turn the lights out and hold the nightlight in my hand to shine the stars slowly across the floor.

My cat also really likes silvervine (but not catnip), so sprinkling that on stuffed toys and hiding the toys in spots for him to sniff out gets him moving around a little more and stimulating his brain.

**My poor cat is very easily overwhelmed. Any toy that makes noise, moves through the air, or moves on its own triggers either his Flight or Freeze response. He can handle other toys like balls or little stuffed mice on string pulled along the floor for maybe 5 minutes max before he either comes running over to me to hide behind my legs, or he just shuts down with a glassy-eyed 1000-yard-stare. :(

thanks for the suggestions. somehow, mine has magically become more playful in the last couple days. not sure what changed, but ok. seems to mostly want things I do with/for him, but it's progress. hopefully I can find something he likes to engage with on his own next.

good luck with your catte as well.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

thanks for the suggestions. somehow, mine has magically become more playful in the last couple days. not sure what changed, but ok. seems to mostly want things I do with/for him, but it's progress. hopefully I can find something he likes to engage with on his own next.

good luck with your catte as well.

Well, maybe he just specifically wants to play with you :3:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Well, maybe he just specifically wants to play with you :3:

could be! I've just been worried about when I'm away from home and asleep, basically.perhaps it's not as big of a problem as I imagine it to be.

also, someone mentioned wide, shallow bowls earlier in the thread and I switched him over to those and I think it's been a positive change. so thanks for that too, thread.

now if I could just get him to tolerate applying his ear drops...

edit: i think this cat is just like, trying stuff out this week. he's decided to piss in the tub now. well, better than the carpet, i suppose.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

The OP mentions Amarkat cat trees, but does not appear to have been updated in ten (:psyduck:) years. Are those still the goon go-to, or have they been supplanted in our modern capitalist hellscape brave new world?