Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CandyCain&Abel
Oct 21, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Electro-Harmonix Little Big Muff
Year Manafactured: 2007
Price Paid: $65

I bought this pedal to replace a 2005 black russian Big Muff Pi which I stupidly broke. I looked around for Big Muff replacements, and finally decided that I should buy the Little Big Muff. I heard that its tone lied somewhere inbetween the Russian Muff and the NYC Muff, and it had a bassy tone to it, so that sounded good to me!

Sound Quality: 4.5/5 I give this pedal a 4.5 because I think it could use a bit more edge in some places. That being said, this can be remedied with the tone knobs on your guitar so that's ok. It sounds great for a bunch of different applications. That classic Big Muff tone. That being said, I wouldn't use any other distortion pedal (and I tried out a bunch) except maybe for one of those old green Sovtek Big Muffs. I should add it gets pretty drat loud too - the volume knob at about 20% is equal to that of your clean channel. I don't dare turn it above 30% yet.

Build Quality: 4.5/5 It's in a die-cast aluminum box that looks and feels pretty drat sturdy, although it is a bit light. I'd trust it gigging more than my russian Muff though (the newest black one is made out of crappy parts).

Features: 3/5 A sustain knob, a tone knob, a volume knob, and an on/off switch. What can I say? You have to be pretty stupid to get confused using this pedal. It gets a 3/5 because there's no battery compartment - AC adapter only (the opposite of the russian Muff :wtf: )

Playability: 5/5 You can get a great sound out of this pedal for just about any application. It didn't take me that long to dial in a tone I liked before I was yelling "gently caress YES" and dancing around me room playing some metal tunes.

Overall: 5/5 $65 well spent. I'd recommend it to anyone who plays anything from blues to indie rock of all kinds to metal. It's got a nice sound for everyone. It can be bassy and subdued or edgy and biting. I loving love fuzz pedals.

I wrote this mini-review for another site before I got my guitar back from the shop. I will add, though, that my views do not differ much from how it sounds with the bass to how it sounds with the guitar. After a bit of experimenting, I can get everything from great indie rock tones to an amazing wall-of-sound-shoegaze type sound to some good ol' stoner metal crunch.

I personally like the Little Big Muff better than the Black Russian. I've only played my bass with it because my guitar's been in the shop for a while. I thought I couldn't get a good blunt bass sound out of the Black Russian when I wanted one. It would sound muddy and still kind of gritty in that Sovtek kind of way. I was able to get a great blunt tone that made my smile on the LBM with the Sustain at 3 oclock, Tone @ 12 oclock. The LBM is definitely bassier than the BR, and the sustain is insane. I don't know if the LBM is hypersensitive to string vibrations or my bass has a recently developed case of Stratitis, but I had some sustain going on at a good volume for well over 2 minutes. My normal playing setup (max sustain, tone 3 oclock) definitely sounded bassier than the same settings on the BR - but it sounds great. I don't remember exactly how it sounded on the BR, but on teh LBM the tone dial seems to be half of that kind of underwater fuzz feeling, and the other half that great signature Big Muff tone.

i tried playing the song "Supersoaker MD50" by Moistboyz if any of you know them - the bassline just sounded too overwhelming with bass at times with hand mutes and all and it got a bit muddy. I put the tone on max, and the sustain at about 2 oclock. Talk about motherfucking crunch. I was very happy when I found that I could get some delicious crunchy fuzz sounds with the sustain at 12oclock and the tone at 3oclock - I always used to have the sustain at max on my BR for real crunch fuzz.

Overall this pedal is a lot bassier than the Russian Muff, and I'd say it was a good purchase.

CandyCain&Abel fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 5, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU