Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Electro Harmonix Stereo Pulsar.

Price Paid - £49 new

Year-2006

Features: 4/5

This doesent do EVERYTHING you could want in a tremolo. There are more impressive ones out there featurewise, but drat, it does a heck of a lot. In mono its a tremolo, in stereo its a panner. Although I thought the panner mode was something of a novelty for home use (Even if you can carry two amps to your gig, good luck trying to get the sound guy to run you in stereo) I mainly bought it becasue its cheaper than its bigger brother, and yet is smaller and does more. :confused:

Sound: 4/5

The shape knob is a lot of help in getting a trem that wobbles just as you want it, with a little tweaking it sounds great whatever mode its in. Theres a switch for soft and hard edged modes and you can get anything from standard tremolo to decent spacy synth pulse kind of sound by having it clip on and off hard.

I deducted a point because, as a normal trem its quite strange. Theres a small point on the speed knob between 8 and ten o clock where its a reasonable speed, and after that its either too slow or insanely fast. Some people who just want trem will hate this, I love it. Where this pedal excells is not in classic sounds, but in insane off the wall mania. Turing the speed knob right up turns it into a ring modulator, my small stone can do something ring mod-ish with the knob up but this pedal REALLY sounds like a real, robotic, clangy ring mod. Inbetween there are some crazy high speed blender sounds and it generally just has the ability to make your guitar sound like its being mangled horribly.

Playability: 3/5
Although there are only 3 knobs marking your settings is a neccessity. The knobs are hair sensitive so its really easy to find an awesome setting and lose it.

Overall Value: 4/5

If you are into experimentation and crazy synthetic effects a tremolo isnt the first thing youd think to get but I strongly suggest you give this one a try. Its the only pdeal on my board apart from a delay and distortion and I can get some incredible what-the-hell sounds with just them. If you dont care about that kind of thing and just want standard tremolo you should probably look at something slightly more mundane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU