Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kamapuaa
May 12, 2007
Bulbous, yet agile.
Gretsch G5120 Electromatic Hollowbody

Price Paid / Price New: $700 / $850 (list)

Year Manufactured: Unsure, purchased new in 2007

Specs:
  • Single cutaway hollowbody electric guitar.
  • Laminated maple body
  • Short scale (24.6") 21 fret maple neck, rosewood fingerboard.
  • Bigsby B60 Vibrato Tailpiece
  • 2 Gretsch dual coil pickups
  • Floating Adjust-o-matic bridge
Sound: 4/5. This guitar has the "classic" Gretsch sound, that is to say, very twangy on the bridge pickup, and boomy on the neck.

Instrument Quality: 4/5 Conisdering that this is Gretsch's lower end Korean-made guitar, the construction is excellent. The clear pickguard was a strange design choice - perfectly functional, but a little on the cheesy side.

Playbility: 4/5 Excellent, excellent, excellent. The factory setup was perfect. The wide neck is very comfortable, and feels fast. There are a couple of drawbacks though. First, the short scale neck makes it a little harder to be effective over the 14th fret or so. Also, since it's a hollowbody, it's prone to feedback at higher gain settings (not that most people would choose an archtop guitar for metal anyway).

Overall Value: 5/5 This is the only hollow body Gretsch guitar that I've ever seen that comes in new under $1k. If it's the sound that you're looking for, the deal is unbeatable. As soon as I laid my hands on it, I knew that it had to come home with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU