Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hella Paunchy
Jul 25, 2007
More fun than a stick in the eye.

BOSS ML-2 MetalCore Distortion Pedal

Price: $100 USD give or take

Specs: Level control, High/Low controls, Dist. control. Uses 9V battery or AC adapter.

Sound: 4/5. This pedal produces more distortion than pretty much anything else out there. The distortion knob set to six oclock (lowest setting) distorts harder than a DS-1's highest setting. I bought it because I didn't want to sound like everyone else and their mom who bought an MT-2, which it doesn't. It's great for rhythm playing because it's VERY crunchy and warm, especially with the low control turned up.

It definitely has a few problems though. Mainly, it's not very versatile. If you want to radically change your tone all the time, buy an MT-2. The lack of any mid control at all makes it difficult to make subtle adjustments to the tone; it's basically a one trick pony.

Also, like most any high gain pedal (and this one has higher gain than most) it can get a little fuzzy. You can remedy this problem by turning up the low control, adjusting the tone control on your guitar, and not playing with the distortion set all the way up. Playing through a tiny crappy practice amp will make it worse.

Quality: 5/5. Like all Boss pedals, it's basically indestructible. Don't run over it with your car, but it can probably take being dropped etc.

Usefulness: 3.5/5. I love it, but it's somewhat limited. If I suddenly decided to totally change my style tomorrow, I would have to buy a new pedal. It's great for playing crunchy rhythm (think Lamb Of God, Children of Bodom, etc), but if you want to shred/tap/whatever at the 20th fret, this is not the pedal for you-too chunky.

Overall Value: 4/5. Go to your music store, try it out, and if you like it, buy the drat thing. It was definitely worth the money for me, but it does have limitations; whether those limitations are a dealbreaker is up to you. I recommend giving it a chance at least.

Hella Paunchy fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 12, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hella Paunchy
Jul 25, 2007

Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Price Paid/New: $70/$90 USD

Specs: Level control, Top Boost control and on/off switch, bypass switch, high/mid/low EQ controls, dist. control. 1/4" i/o jacks, optional 9V AC adapter.

Sound: 5/5 If you play metal, any kind of metal, this is the last pedal you will ever need. The EQ controls are so sensitive that you can go from AC/DC to Cannibal Corpse with a few flicks of a knob.

Quality: 5/5 Sturdy metal construction, sturdy jacks, no knobs falling off.

Usefulness: 5/5 I can play skull crushing death metal riffs in drop C, I can play screaming slide solos ala Duane Allman, I can play Metallica, you name it.

What sets this pedal apart from the rest is the Top Boost. It boosts a very narrow band of high frequencies, so even with the bottom control turned all the way up, it adds an extra bite. Yum.

Overall Value: 5/5 Way better than the Boss pedals, DigiTech XMM, whatever, and it costs less. Buy this pedal now.

Hella Paunchy
Jul 25, 2007
Godin a6 Ultra

Price Paid: $680 (most places it goes for $769 though)
Year manufactured: 2008
Specs:
* Neck: Mahogany
* Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood
* Radius: 16" (40,6 cm)
* Scale: 25-1/2" (64,75 cm)
* Nut Width: 1-11/16" (4,3 cm)
* Top: Solid Cedar
* Body: Two-chambered silver leaf maple
* Finish: High-gloss
* Controls: Custom Godin Pre-amp, 1x electric ouput, 1x acoustic output
* Pick-ups: Godin Humbucker & EPM under saddle transducer

Sound: 4/5. The transducer and acoustic output sound incredible. My only complaint is that the humbucker's low end response is so strong that it can potentially get a little muddy, but there are things you can do to remedy this (like not playing with the volume on the humbucker turned all the way up).

Quality: 5/5. Godin pretty much makes guitars the right way. No issues with poor construction/build quality or anything, high quality materials used, all that good stuff.

Playability: 5/5. Rosewood fingerboard, super easy action. Very very easy to play (while still producing quality acoustic tone).

Features: 5/5. The dual outputs give it a huge amount of tonal versatility: you can plug into two different amps (and two different effect chains) straight from the guitar, without needing a line selector or anything like that. It also has an on board 3 band graphic EQ next to the volume and tone controls.

Overall value: 6/5. Surprisingly versatile, very nice acoustic tone, extremely playable, easy on the eyes, and the price is right.