Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blkmg5
Aug 8, 2007
need a medic
Gibson Historic Cloud 9 '57 Les Paul Custom (2004 reissue)

Price: $2400 new

Sound: 5/5

Due to the combination of its tone chambers in the limited edition Cloud 9s and the lighter wood used in the Historic models, this guitar is very light (under 8 lbs), and one might think that as a consequence, it has a lighter tone and less sustain--this was fortunately not the case when I bought this guitar. I was very pleasantly surprised by the fullness of its tone and its singing sustain. On overdrive, the '57 classic pickup at the bridge provides a very raw rock'n'roll sound while the neck pickup is good for smooth leads and sings like a beautiful flute with the tone turned down. This guitar also has a very velvet-like clean sound on the neck pickup that is great when playing jazzy solos.

Instrument Quality: 5/5

The finish and workmanship on this guitar was flawless when I received it. As is mentioned below, however, I had a problem with the neck finish at first that cannot be counted as an instrument quality defect because apparently this is a universal problem with most Gibsons, so I will instead list it under playability.

Playability: 4/5

This guitar had one major problem when I first got it: the neck finish was way too sticky for me to play it comfortably. While I loved the sound I was getting out of it, I could not for the life of me play even remotely fast on it because the finish kept me from moving up and down the neck. This, of course, is present in almost every new Gibson and as time went on, the finish smoothened out. Now, after two years, it is very smooth and quite playable.

Another problem I had with the guitar is due to its weight--although the light weight, which is comparable to a Gibson SG, is great on the shoulders and allows me to play for hours on end standing or sitting, it also makes the instrument very neck-heavy. If the neck is not held, it will drop. It took a little while for me to get used to keeping the neck from plowing into the ground, and even now it's a little bit of an annoyance.

Overall Value: 5/5

All in all, this guitar is the one I use the most for both recording and live playing, and I could not imagine being without it now. It was a very good buy (normally over $3000 new) and even came with a cool limited edition case (tweed with blue lining). It certainly lives up to its standard as a rock'n'roll guitar.

blkmg5 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 2, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU