Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
Title of Instrument:Takamine GS-330S Acoustic
Price: ~$250/$300
Year Manufactured: Dunno. 2000 I think but the serial number dating doesn't seem to be right for my guitar.

Sound: 4.5/5 God this guitar sounds beautiful for such a cheap acoustic. It retails at around 300 but the value is simply amazing. The tone has the nice warmth you'd expect from all ceder construction with plenty of loudness, clear ringing highs, and decent bass thanks to the slightly larger than usual bottom bell. I'd place this guitar with $800-$900 dollar range Martins and Yamahas.

Instrument Quality: 4/5 A simply matte finish with good matching and no pickguard. It's survived a lot of abuse at my hands including spending too much time in a stand and being dropped on a tile floor by one of my suite mates. There's some slight warping in the neck, but not enough for me to bother with the truss rod yet. Some people online have reported problems with the tuners and I'm starting to experience it with mine, but again not bad yet. There's no on board Preamp though.

Usefulness: 3.5/5 The lack of a preamp is the big hamper here, since it has to be mic-ed to play anything larger than a small room. The action was also too high initially. I had to get the bridge reduced by nearly an 1/8 of an inch. Once that happened the playability increased markedly with no buzz.

Overall Value: 5/5 Buy one now. It's an excellent workhorse guitar and I prefer to play with it more than my electric most of the time. The lack of preamp is a bite in the rear end but otherwise the playability and sound are simply amazing for a guitar this price. For 300 you don't have to worry over it quite as much as your Yamaha either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU