Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exploded
Sep 13, 2002
I TAKE ATTRROCIOUS AMMMOUNTS OF ACID SO EVERYBODY will LIKE IT AND BE FNIE
Title of Equipment: Seymore Duncan JB Jr for strat, Bridge
Price Paid / Price New: $40/80
Year Manufactured: 2005
Specs Equipment's Specifications. It's basically a single coil sized version of the Seymore Duncan JB Humbucker which is a sweet rear end humbucker, bro.

i don't have a lot of experience with single coil pickups. I've tried out a lot of humbuckers. Basically i bought a strat because i love the way it feels but can't live without the sound of a crunchy rear end humbucker. I like what single coils do but i find myself mostly using humbuckers.

Sound (or applicable): 5/5

This Pickup is awesome.

-It has superior string separation when playing power chords and even open chords at high gain levels. I tested it on my fender hotrod 4x10. When i drive the front end on the clean channel hard with an overdrive pedal, the string separation is ideal. On the drive channel it's good, and on the more drive channel (which personnally i don't like at all) you can still hear separation in some power chords but the more bass is in, the muddier it gets.

-Excellent harmonics in a single coil pickup. My stock single coils and most single coils i have tried report harmonics in a much different way than humbuckers and this one gets very close to what a really hot humbucker sounds like when you do a pinch harmonic or natural harmonic. It sounds really sweet.

-Awesome crunch. This isn't as good as the real thing but it's really close man.

Equipment Quality: 5/5 I bought it used and it still sounds perfect.

Usefullness: 5/5 I was almost shocked by how good this pickup is and how much it sonds like a humbucker. Not just that, but a really good humbucker.

Overall Value: 5/5 It seems like the kind of thing i'd pay 80 dollars to have in my guitar and it was more than worth the 40 i paid for it. It's not perfect but it's just a hair off, and for the compromise in form factor and the price i do think it's about perfect.
Extremely impressed.

I'll write two more reviews for a dimarzio hs-2 (neck) and a lace sensor red (middle) tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exploded
Sep 13, 2002
I TAKE ATTRROCIOUS AMMMOUNTS OF ACID SO EVERYBODY will LIKE IT AND BE FNIE
Danelectro DJ14 Fish and Chips 7 band equalizer

Price: 20 bucks

Sound: 4/5
Honestly, it sounds like any other equalizer, but i think that's a good thing. This pedal was 20 dollars and it was worth every penny. As high as i can go on my gain (for reference fender hot rod deville) i can notice a very tiny amount of noise from the pedal, but it's just barely noticeable at the very highest gain settings.

Instrument Quality: 3/5
The case is made of plastic. It's not really lovely, thin plastic though, so it's not really a big deal. Overall it feels really solid for a plastic pedal and not
like it will fall apart.
My only gripe with this pedal and the reason i gave it a 3 is because of the button. It's clumsy and hard to press. This isn't the kind of thing i worry about because i almost always leave this pedal on, but if i were turning it on and off, it would be a little frustrating.
The sliders are nice and feel pretty solid.

Usefulness: 5/5
I think equalizer is probably the most overlooked type of effects pedal while at the same time being possibly the most useful one you can buy.
Many different effects are available with an EQ on board, but the three band equalizer offered on most amps just doesn't cut the mustard for reducing noise or boosting frequencies.

My setup is:
Current model lefty mexican strat, w seymore duncan jb jr, lace red, dimarzio hs2
Bad monkey overdrive
Dunlop crybaby wah
Fender hot rod deville
Fish n chips equalizer in the effects loop
4x10

The fish n chips just makes my amp come alive, that's all there is to it. Honestly, it's just exactly what the hot rod deville needs. When placed in the effects loop, i use it to not only reduce noise from my guitar (cutting certain frequencies can eliminate a lot of buzzing) but to boost frequencies and get an entire different group of sound shaping tools. I am honestly thinking of going and buying a ten band eq because of this pedal, but i'll probably still use this one anyways, to shape the signal coming out of my guitar, and put the ten band in the effects loop. Typically an eq is used in the effects loop to allow you to control your power amp distortion and the crunch from your speakers.

Using pre and post distortion eq is great because your amp will make sounds you did not think it was possible for your amp to make. It's a lot of fun to experiment. Try an eq with heavy mids, some bass and less treble on your amp, then put an eq pedal with a mid scooped curve in the effects loop. Now reverse it, double it, honestly with some tweaking i did some amazing poo poo with this pedal.

Overall Value: 4.5/5

The pedal does exactly what eq pedals two and three times the price of this pedal do, and it does it at a price of only 20 dollars.
I think this product is great because, for people who are not sure what an eq even does, it's something that's cheap and if you hate it you can sell it or just cut your losses easily. I can almost guarantee if you've never had the pleasure of using an EQ on your signal before, you will not regret this purchase.
The only reason i deduct .5 from overall value is that, since it does have one flaw (that stupid button), it has made me desperately want an mxr eq, i've been using it for a few months now, though, and have only now decided this. The fish and chips is a drat good pedal for an unbelievably cheap price. If you don't have an eq pedal, you'd be stupid not to pick this one up.